The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

a thread for games you're not very good at
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:03 am    Post subject: a thread for games you're not very good at Reply with quote

in which i describe devil may cry 3. i figure if i put like, an hour a day for a month into it i could get past the first area. but man, i mean, i start school again on wednesday. as it stands for the next three months i have monday evenings and that's about it. so bottom line is i ain't never gonna get better at dmc3, which is too bad cause the mechanics are very smooth.

i would imagine that once the wii comes out there'll be a wide expansion of this category for a lot of people, considering how mercilessly unfair the old catalogs were, generally speaking. i look forward to "a thread for old games that you're not very good at" sometime in december.

unrelated word of the day: odditorium - a collection of oddities in one place
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Re: a thread for games you're not very good at Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
in which i describe devil may cry 3.

Are you playing the original or the special edition? If it's the original I'm with you. I got stuck on that fucking dog boss and was never able to make it past there. Then I paid $20 for the special edition and it's much, much better balanced. The easier gameplay leads to a sort of realization later in the game that most of the boss battles are 20 minute long fests of rote pattern action gaming repetitiveness with very little room for error, but hey, at least it's easier.

And I'll never say this again in my life, but in this case it's worth it for the cutscenes.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: Re: a thread for games you're not very good at Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The easier gameplay leads to a sort of realization later in the game that most of the boss battles are 20 minute long fests of rote pattern action gaming repetitiveness with very little room for error, but hey, at least it's easier.

HA! Yes.

The game goes from challenging, to fun, then into the deep-seated realm of boring. It's disappointing too, I watched a "show-off" video of the game where the guy performs these really crazy stunts and I thought to myself "I really wish that the game wasn't so boring so that I could get that good!"

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's the original.

and you misunderstand. i can't get past the dude you fight right in the beginning. the first level after your office.

i mean, fuck, i'm really bad at this apparently. actually, i can kill nearly everything up to him without losing any lifebar, but after that this guy just fucking tools me up.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
and you misunderstand. i can't get past the dude you fight right in the beginning. the first level after your office.

Yeah, the reaper looking guy. I can't really recommend enough that you go to EB/GS or where ever and say that you bought the game recently and want to exchange it for the Greatest Hits version. Anyways, he's still not that easy even when you have the GH/Special Edition version. He is the introduction to the games tedium, but you don't realise that until you are about 2/3 through the game. He was the hardest part of the game for me for quite a while actually.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When he blocks one of your attacks instead of continuing to attack until he breaks your guard and hits you, try holding the R1 button, pressing in a direction perpendicular to the enemey, and hitting the jump button to dash out of the way.

Yeah, he's really mostly there as a tutorial for the dodge move.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

I've read Lovecraft use the word "bizzararie" before, but never found it in a dictionary.

Secondly, I've had a similar experience with just about every traditional fighting game I've tried to play. It's not even like, struggling to overcome a challenge. It's more like trying to talk to someone in a langauge I've never learned.

Also, stupid stealth parts in Call of Cthulu! I was just getting really pumped for this game, and it was pressing all the right buttons and then I get to this try die and try again part which is utterly maddening.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the Majora's Mask thread a couple months ago I decided to replay it. It all went swimmingly until the third temple. I got to the boss (crazy mechanical fish asshole) and just could not win. I fought him five times, died each time, realized that I had five hours left until the world ended, and to avoid losing all my progress through the temple (which is fun initially but would be incredibly tedious if I had to do it over) hit an owl with my sword, saved, and turned off the game. I haven't turned it back on since.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chaos Legion makes me want to cry like a child. Granted I just started playing it again, but I have to admit it's tough. Then again, I thought Devil May Cry (1) was really tough. I have to try that again, it's been nearly five years after all!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There're plenty of games that I'm not good at (most rhythm games, strategy games, and scrolling shooters, for example), but if we're talking "games I've sunk hours into with little to no success", then we're talking Nethack, Ghost House (early Master System title), and Overgod. I can make it a little past Gnome Town, level 1, and level 4, respectively, but somewhere soon after I usually snuff it. Despite this, I usually wander back to them occasionally to try my luck again, and I really have to admire any game that can make me do that.
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing Prince of Persia: Warrior Within right now, and having this weird experience where every hour or two I get to one segment that's just impossible. So I turn it off and, a couple days later when I pick it up again, blow right by that on the first try. I've had similar experiences in other games before, but never with this consistency.

Also, the game is really not as bad as I was lead to believe, so far. The rock music, sure, but the backtracking is really pretty well handled, and the intermittent chase sequences are part of where I'd hoped the series was going. Plus the combat is much less grating than I remember from the first one. I originally only started it cause I wanted to try it rather than skipping straight to the third one, but I really am enjoying myself. Certainly moreso than I was with God of War, which is the closest point of correlation I can think of.

Oh, on topic, I just suck at precision games like STGs or racing sims or rhythm games or fighters or DMC style beat em ups, and I just can't bring myself to care about them enough to spend the time required for mastery. Trauma Center, Rhythm Tengoku, Cool Cool Toon and Osu Tatakae Oendan are kind of the exceptions to that statement; I think my problem with most of these genres is their developers tend to think the precision required means their potential market doesn't actually care about things being playful and fun, so they make them purely austere or "badass" instead.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, either use your block move or dodge move. He's actually easy once you learn that you just have to wait for him to attack and then you can swipe him from behind.

But yeah, see what Wes/Shaper have already said.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Quote:

I've read Lovecraft use the word "bizzararie" before, but never found it in a dictionary.

i know a fetish artist that refers to his site as a "bizarrerie", but you know how that stuff is.

i've never really gotten a hang of overgod, because i've never really been good with asteroids-style controls.

so . . . asteroids.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beat 'em ups.

Granted, they're pretty much the number one genre as far as being designed intentionally to reap operator profits from credit-feeding, but even when I know what the fuck to do to abuse the AI/whatever in any given game in the genre it still all goes to hell.

Also CHOPLIFTER the arcade game.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
Also CHOPLIFTER the arcade game.

Oh god, choplifter.

Pijaibros

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am not good at Light Gun games. Granted they're made to for the novice arcade goer with a few minutes to kill, but just once I'd like to see someone awesome enough to clear something like House of the Dead 4 in one credit.

I am also piss at 3d platformers. I can never get the hang of jumping in them, I am too used to 2d precision.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really, really bad at Pocket Fighter. Unexplainably bad. I'm not sure why, either.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:
I am not good at Light Gun games. Granted they're made to for the novice arcade goer with a few minutes to kill, but just once I'd like to see someone awesome enough to clear something like House of the Dead 4 in one credit.

Stick around a machine long enough and someone who can is bound to show up.

Maybe that person could be you.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like, generally speaking, I'm not very good at games. What success I do have comes from dogged persistence and perseverance.

My lust for achievements cannot be sated by any other means.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pijaibros wrote:

I use to be pretty damn good at HotD2. I could get to (what was his damn name) the Magician in one credit. He's the end boss, but he was really fucking hard. Almost every other boss I could find a weakspot for. I can't do this anymore, I tried about 2 or 3 years ago and I suck now. This was the only light-gun game I ever got decent at.

dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapes, trade up to Typing of The Dead.

Guys I'm absolutely terrible at alien soldier and I don't see myself getting any better.

Superplays just make me think the game is dumb.

(also i'm not very good at gunstar super heroes even though I can one-credit the original and it's supposed to be easier)
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Shapes, trade up to Typing of The Dead.

Typing of the Dead holds a special place in my heart. I can almost one-credit it, but I also haven't played it in over a month. It made me a better typist (is that even a word?) though.
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:

Typing of the Dead holds a special place in my heart. I can almost one-credit it, but I also haven't played it in over a month. It made me a better typist (is that even a word?) though.

Yes, this (game?) is great fun, it is also very expensive, I've been trying to get it for years but have been looking at Amazon and it goes for £75 or more on PC!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
Yes, this (game?) is great fun, it is also very expensive, I've been trying to get it for years but have been looking at Amazon and it goes for £75 or more on PC!

What? I just looked and it seemd pretty easy to find for under $20 ... for the Dreamcast.

OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got it from Home of the Underdogs. They have the full PC version for download. It also comes with actual typing tutorial modes too.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm terrible at practically every shooter (first-person and otherwise) that I can think of. I still really enjoy them. Infinite lives, infinite health and super-easy modes are my friends.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

all this talk about typing games makes me want to play ys typing tutor some more.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mario was one of my many typing instructors that I have had in life with Mario Teaches Typing.

God, I remember it so well.

OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I miss Mario Teaches Typing. I used to play it a long time ago alongside Widget Workshop, Oregon Trail 1 and the Commander Keen games in my elementary school's computer lab. I wish I could find those games...
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
I wish I could find those games...

Say no more.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
OtakupunkX wrote:
I wish I could find those games...

Say no more.

You are my hero. Why I never looked for these on HotU I'll never know, but I think I know what I'm doing this weekend (besides Virtual Boy).
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I couldn't find more Commander Keen episodes, however.

Back in elementary school, our computers used to have games like Midnight Rescue! and other Super Solvers games, but we were usually more occupied playing RoboCop and Last Crusade or making maps for Doom.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think we ever had Doom or anything, but we also spent a lot of time playing SimCity 2000. Speaking of games I'm not very good at...
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

Back in elementary school, our computers used to have games like Midnight Rescue! and other Super Solvers games, but we were usually more occupied playing RoboCop and Last Crusade or making maps for Doom.
You made Doom maps in elementary school? Jeez I'm old.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:

I was thinking the exact same thing. I think I last played Doom over the network at university. We had to go to the computer lab since it was the only place with networked computers... Ugh.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
J.Goodwin wrote:
I was thinking the exact same thing. I think I last played Doom over the network at university. We had to go to the computer lab since it was the only place with networked computers... Ugh.
I've played Doom since then (hey, it's a classic!), but I can remember playing co-op over my university's network.

I can also remember people playing Quake2 over the university network, so there was some overlap there, I guess.

I remember getting together with two friends to buy the full version of Doom when I was in high school. I could have bought it myself, but why not split it three ways? We were halfhearted pirates at best in those days.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God you guys are old. I can remember playing Doom when I was like seven.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i remember rotary phones.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:

iDs website actually has Commander Keen episodes for download.

OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
God you guys are old. I can remember playing Doom when I was like seven.

I think I was six or so when Doom came out, so I feel really young here (granted, I've always felt young here, but that's besides the point). For some reason I never played it until I was 10 though, probably because I was raised thinking that PCs were fragile pieces of hardware meant only for Microsoft Paint and 3-D Dinosaur Adventure.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Dracko wrote:

iDs website actually has Commander Keen episodes for download.

Astonishing then that fan and abandonware sites haven't followed suit. Thanks for the info, I'll check the rest out.

Quake on LAN was totally how I wasted time in computing classes with buddies back in high school.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i remember rotary phones.

I miss the bell-like ring of a rotary phone. Bell-like because there was actually a bell.
Yeah, I stopped playing Doom because at some point playing FPS's started to make me nauseous. It's, you know, the simulated forward motion.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We had one of those because my father was a fossil. In fact, I think there's still one, connected, in the attic.

Those phones are all shades of style.
a_plus

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, god, mario sunshine. It's not the jetpack-less levels either -- i love those. there are just certain impossible levels... the manta ray boss, the roller coaster w/missile launcher, and a lot of monotonous crap (whyyyyy did they bring the 100 coins goal back from mario 64??). It's so nice to look at though. i'll still probably sell it or something.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the manta ray boss is almost my favorite part of the game.

it's pretty hard though!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

favorite? wh...why? it's so monotonus and takes so long and .. maybe i just don't know the trick to it or something? i dunno, most of the bosses in that game were just too long and not much else.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's . . . kind of a matter of proportion? like, you shoot it, and then it splits in half. so you shoot the halves and they split in half. so you shoot those halves and they split in half. so you shoot those halves . . .

i just find it sort of conceptually marvelous. even if the execution isn't perfect (and is in fact kind of tedious).

part of it could be that it's the only memorable boss in the game (other than the final one).
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dunno, I kind of enjoyed pulling the legs off that squid.

My favorite bit of Mario Sunshine will always be the pure platforming sections, with the old school theme tune. Although, even those are hit and miss.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 6:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a very hit-and-miss game over all. The Manta Ray boss was amazing in concept but ridiculous in execution. In that same area: going through the ghost hotel was a blast, and wonderfully un-Mario. The mission that had you clean up all the paint in a short time, meanwhile, was preposterous to an extreme degree.

Overall, the best experiences in the game are playing the waterpack-less levels, the final boss fight, and kicking fruit around town like a crazed soccer star.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the ghost hotel is my favorite part of the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: