The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what's wrong with EA?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
I do not go into the Gamestop where one guy continuously pestered me into getting preorders, then when I finally gave in and preordered a couple games ... LOST my preorder and had no way to deal with that.

1) that's sort of funny.
2) why'd you give in?
My time is worth about $125 per hour (billed out rate) on the open market. Five bucks is not worth the time of arguing for it.

When you stop and think about whether something you are thinking of doing yourself is worth doing or not, you might want to consider how much your time is actually worth. Hiring a lawn maintenance company, getting a maid service to clean up before a big family occasion, having peapod deliver instead of going down to the supermarket, or going through a hand car wash instead of standing in your driveway with wet sneakers and a sponge suddenly become much more reasonable propositions.

The simplest way to deal with it was to go to the other shop and stop going to that one. If I had continued to argue it, I might have gotten my five bucks back, but I'd have wasted all that time thinking about it and being angry and upset and driving down there and back until I finally found a sympathetic manager...not worth the effort or emotional trauma.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh, that doesn't answer my question.

why would you even begin to argue? just say "no" in a firm voice.

my per/hour is far lower than yours, but i've got a very good "no." i learned the importance of a good no from my dad and william s. burroughs, respectively. no emotional trauma required.

then again, my one and only run-in at a game stop was with a kid who wanted me to sign up for their whatever 10% off thing but i was unemployed and running around malls interstate commerced out of my gourd at the time and i just was not interested in it. i also wasn't interested in explaining how mailing lists work and why i don't like enriching companies with their marketing work without some sort of compensation, so i just said "nah, thanks." the kid - who was maybe 18? - got all huffy and said "i guess you don't like saving money then." so of course i'm an asshole and go "no, i hate it." and he said "i bet" and i said "yes" and he said "ok" and i said "thanks again" and i left without making a crack about GEDs, teenage dads or explaining how direct mail marketing works. i presume i fucked him over on some sort of kickback or something by not signing up but i am disinclined to engage in tangling alliances thanks to some words once said by a mr. washington.

Last edited by dhex on Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:03 am; edited 1 time in total
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
uh, that doesn't answer my question.

why would you even begin to argue? just say "no" in a firm voice.

my per/hour is far lower than yours, but i've got a very good "no." i learned the importance of a good no from my dad and william s. burroughs, respectively.
Meh. Your reception is of something that is not contained in my signal.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I do not go into the Gamestop where one guy continuously pestered me into getting preorders, then when I finally gave in and preordered a couple games

that's what i was asking about, not the pursuing the preorder thing. i have no idea why people preorder anything to begin with.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So we can keep our jobs! Those of us who work for the "enemy" have to put in a certain number of subscriptions and reservations each shift we work. If those numbers are good: PRAISE! If they are bad: turn in your badge and take the walk of shame!

Seriously, I hate forcing people to preorder crap that they usually do not pick up anyway, but a paycheck is a paycheck so, I'm fucked.

Oh yeah, people preorder so they can get the "special" little items that the companies send us to give away... usually we have nowhere near the amount of nicknacks we should get. People get pissed and corporate laughs.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahh, so preorders are tied to performance. ok. i guess that makes sense.

note, i don't blame the kid for being a dick, i was probably visibly...altered...and i may have considered a hard sell approach in his shoes. well, not me personally, but if i were him and i was me as well but not me at that time, you see. but hard sells only work on certain kinds of people in certain places, and generally speaking, they're counterproductive. as we've seen with the examples above, the stores probably lost more business due to hard sells, even if they got some preorders initially from it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is so strange to me. I've never had any confrontation in a store, ever. In EB usually I just share a few polite words and complete my purchases without any hassle on either end.

As for pre-ordering, my friend once got a Splinter Cell "multi-tool" for ordering something just because they had extras. It was basically a jagged piece of metal with knife blades on it, which I guess is kind of cool.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:
I do not go into the Gamestop where one guy continuously pestered me into getting preorders, then when I finally gave in and preordered a couple games

that's what i was asking about, not the pursuing the preorder thing. i have no idea why people preorder anything to begin with.
Oh that. After a while you just say yes to get the guy to fucking shut up.

It's the same reason that parents buy their little kids candy and gi-joes. And Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas.
Lackey

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get that though, they ask you to preorder stuff you didn't express interest in? Or is it like, you ask if a game is in and they ask if you want to preorder it?
Gunshinji

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, it depends on who's asking. Some people will throw whatever they can out there to get you to reserve a game. Most of the time however, we usually try to find out what kinds of games the person likes and suggest a future release along the same lines of their interest.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 28, 2006 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
I don't get that though, they ask you to preorder stuff you didn't express interest in? Or is it like, you ask if a game is in and they ask if you want to preorder it?
Well, when all you're buying is 360 games, they figure out pretty quick that maybe you want "high profile 360 game x."

It's easy to tell them to go stuff their Madden 200X, or their Sony PSWhateverthefuckgame.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: