The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So what's wrong with EA?
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
(EA, boycotting)

LOL!

-Wes
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wes i was going to accuse you of having poor taste in games but you don't actually play them just buy them right

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin said in another topic that he's boycotting EA. I think this is hillarious and absurd and I'd like to know why. So why? Anyone can answer, but please note that avoiding games because you don't like them and boycotting them are two different things. If you "boycott" Madden EA because you're not a sports fan that's great, but keep your opinions to yourself.

-Wes

EDIT: Dessgeega's comment is a good example of what not to say.

Last edited by SuperWes on Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is going on?

This thread is you laughing at J. Goodwin then telling everone to keep their opinions to themselves? How can someone defend their stance if you won't let them share their opinon?

Hell, I almost boycott EA, but that's just because they never release anything that I am interested in! I think it would be interesting to look through my collection for EA games. Off the top of my head I know of Oddworld: Strangers Wrath and... Black & White for the PC?

Yeah, might as well be boycotting them (although I will be buying the 360 version of HL2).

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Really the only EA game I play is SSX. Or rather played, since the series has taken a severe nosedive as of On Tour (the 4th and most recent one). Something was lost in the move from pre-rendered characters to build-your-own boarder. My wife and I have decided not to bother with part 5.

But other than that I don't really give them any business as it is.

Yeah, though, the difference between not buying and boycotting is only semantics, even though they are defined differently. I guess it's just why you choose to not buy it and tell others not to buy it. Dhex? You're better at talking this up than me. Is telling someone not to buy an EA game because it stinks a boycott? I'm not sure.

So Wes, was that the right way to put it?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
This thread is you laughing at J. Goodwin then telling everone to keep their opinions to themselves?

How so?

boycott - To abstain from ... as an expression of protest or disfavor or as a means of coercion.

This is very different from not buying Madden because you don't like sports games or not buying 007 because you don't like bad games.

If you're interested in a game but aren't willing to buy it because it's put out by EA you're boycotting them, and I think that's what he was saying. I'm sort of laughing at him but I want to hear his reasons because I think there's a solid argument that everything EA does wrong was either done by Nintendo in the 80s or by every other Japanese developer and most US software developers.

I say if you enjoy a game you should play it regardless of who put it out. We hardcore gamers put too much emphasis on who publishers are and what names are attached to sequels and not enough on actual products.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
J.Goodwin wrote:
(EA, boycotting)

LOL!

SuperWes wrote:
keep your opinions to yourself.

Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
J.Goodwin wrote:
(EA, boycotting)

LOL!

If you boycott Madden EA because you're not a sports fan that's great, but keep your opinions to yourself.

EDIT: Damnit! Too slow.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you not realize what I was trying to say? I meant I don't want people coming in here saying "EA sucks because I don't like sports!" because you're not actually boycotting EA. There's no coertion there, you're just basing what you buy on what you like. That's great and all, but it has no place in a thread about boycotting. Stuff like that will sidetrack the thread and the topic at hand will be lost. But I can see that that's already happened. Thanks guys!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think EA fits that typical "evil big business" stereotype so it's easier for people to hate them. Personally, I haven't really played an EA game that I've liked in awhile (Burnout Revenge and The Sims 2 being exceptions, and I want to note that I haven't gotten to play Stranger's Wrath or TimeSplitters 3 yet), and I don't like the fact that they mainly put out liscensed games instead of original titles.

So one time I was at the mall and some guy had apparently bought a brand new copy of Need for Speed: Most Wanted. He was one of those typical Abercrombie model-wannabe guys there with his entourage consisting of typical Abercrombie model-wannabe kids and low self-esteem girls, and he kept flashing his copy of NFSMW around yelling "Whoo! Look what I got" like we all cared. I yelled "Hurray for you, dumbass, go play a good game" and gave him the finger at one point, as it seemed he was almost following my friends and I around the mall, but he pretended to ignore me.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Opinions follow:

Well, I don't really play a lot of sports titles as it is, basically just soccer and the occasional ping pong / tennis game. FIFA's easy to avoid because it's not very good. In fact, EA's games in general are getting very easy to avoid. It wasn't always so. My boycott goes way back.

However, I do not buy new games that EA has published because I disapprove of them as a company. Both in terms of their past actions and their current actions. I don't like the way that they go around buying up companies, pushing them hard to impossible deadlines, release shoddy products, then turn around and fire the former company's employees (if they can before those employees walk), and then produce as many sequels in that franchise as possible which retain none of the spirit of the original. The scandals involving non-payment of overtime for non-exempt employees was just another log on the fire.

I don't like it when companies negotiate exclusive licenses. Because of the FIFPro and FIFA and FIFA World Cup licenses, it is very difficult for other companies to present comprehensive soccer games with real players. At best, they have to separately negotiate with individual leagues for licenses. I don't play baseball games, and

Given that I think that the FIFA franchise is a poor soccer game, I resent that.

I feel very much the same way about Sony, as a matter of fact, and used to feel that way about Nintendo. Since the N64, Nintendo has been more deserving of attention IMHO because they've been putting out good games against a rising tide of competition. They've had their own tactics turned on them by Sony (exclusive or near exclusive deals with third parties). I buy and play their games when they are appealing to me, but it's always tainted by the mix of disgust for their past practices and pity for their long fall from the top of the pig pile.

Any one of those things on their own wouldn't be enough for me to say that I boycott a company's games. For instance, although I don't like exclusive licenses particularly for sports games, I still buy 2K's games. I haven't bought a baseball game since ... World Class Baseball on the TurboGrafx-16 (which is really the only baseball game you'll ever need, BTW).

If I were not boycotting EA, I would have bought BFME2, probably would buy Superman Returns, would think about Godfather, and would have bought Half Life 2 for XBOX and 360 brand new. The fact that now they do seem to be producing some games that I want to play is giving some teeth to it. Even the used games that I buy from EA are going to be quite limited.

However, I assure you, they will not get one penny from me for an indefinite period of time (probably as long as I will continue gaming, unless they fall on hard times).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
The fact that now they do seem to be producing some games that I want to play is giving some teeth to it. Even the used games that I buy from EA are going to be quite limited.

Well, I should highly recommend Stranger's Wrath then. Even though it is one of those "buy the IP and company then watch the original creator walk away" situations, it is the original creators last game in the oddworld universe and very competent and original in what it is trying to do.

So, get it used.

J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
J.Goodwin wrote:
The fact that now they do seem to be producing some games that I want to play is giving some teeth to it. Even the used games that I buy from EA are going to be quite limited.

Well, I should highly recommend Stranger's Wrath then. Even though it is one of those "buy the IP and company then watch the original creator walk away" situations, it is the original creators last game in the oddworld universe and very competent and original in what it is trying to do.

So, get it used.
Looks like it isn't BC yet. (Hocked the Xbox too, very few games that I owned weren't BC that I wanted to continue playing).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Stuff like that will sidetrack the thread and the topic at hand will be lost.

i'm pretty sure the topic at hand was you laughing at j. goodwin.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oooh! The License thing! Well, let me ask you this: If somebody paid someone else $10 to kick a homeless person who is the bad guy? Is it the guy who accepts the money and kicks the guy or is it the one who is offering him money?

See, I'd say it's the one who kicks the homeless guy. Why he gotta do that?

If you couldn't figure it out, In this scenario EA represents the person offering money, the NFL/Fifa/etc. represents the person who kicks the homeless guy and the homeless guy represents people who buy video games. Taking Madden as an example, EA offered the NFL gobbs of money in exchange for screwing over football fans and offering only one option in Licensed Football games for the next seven years. As someone who makes money on football games it's a great thing for EA, but the NFL really shouldn't have done it as it severely hurts sports gamers choices. If anyone in this situation deserves to be boycotted against it's the NFL.

As for companies they buy out, take Origin for example, the situation is a bit different. The issue of screwing over fans by limiting their options is actually reversed. Like it or not, EA is the biggest game company in the US and getting them to publish your game means mega distribution, mega marketing, and hopefully mega profits. That's why these developers want EA as a publisher. Again, it's the developers that are choosing EA as a publisher and not the other way around. These aren't hostile takeovers, they're business alliances. So given that, EA expects their independant development houses to be managed well and deliver a game on time that will make them money.

EA stays true to their word and promotes the shit out of most-everything they publish. The problem is that spending a lot more money on marketing brings a huge risk along with it. If EA has spent hundreds of thousands of dollars marketing a game that one of their developers has promised would be ready for the holiday season and it either ends up sucking really badly or slips back to the next year, that money is seen as wasted, and the chances of profits shrink. The companies that EA puts under are always the ones that are managed the most poorly.

EA knows business and they know how many copies of a game should be sold based on the amount of marketing money spent and the brand awareness that the IP brings with it. If their games lose money it's usually because the development house doesn't deliver what they say they will when they say they will. It's a huge issue for all software developers, and it's an even bigger issue when the stakes are high. If you look at the history of Stranger's Wraith you'll notice that the reason it didn't do well is because Oddworld promised a PS2 version that they failed to deliver, which caused EA to cut marketing dollars because their potential buyers were instantly trimmed down by 2/3rds. This situation essentially caused Oddworld to buckle, but in the end whose fault is it? If a PS2 version would have been available there wouldn't have been any issues. In all of these "EA ran this company to the ground" issues the story is the same. If a game isn't profitable, there's no reason for a publisher to support it.

So there goes my explanation for the whole "exclusive deals" thing and why EA isn't really all that bad for it. What else you got?

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
If you couldn't figure it out, In this scenario EA represents the person offering money, the NFL/Fifa/etc. represents the person who kicks the homeless guy and the homeless guy represents people who buy video games.

you are suggesting that the homeless guy pay EA to pay the NFL to kick him?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait, so he's homeless AND has to buy videogames? This hardly seems fair. I shall lead the public outcry.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Oooh! The License thing! Well, let me ask you this: If somebody paid someone else $10 to kick a homeless person who is the bad guy? Is it the guy who accepts the money and kicks the guy or is it the one who is offering him money?

See, I'd say it's the one who kicks the homeless guy. Why he gotta do that?

If you couldn't figure it out, In this scenario EA represents the person offering money, the NFL/Fifa/etc. represents the person who kicks the homeless guy and the homeless guy represents people who buy video games. Taking Madden as an example, EA offered the NFL gobbs of money in exchange for screwing over football fans and offering only one option in Licensed Football games for the next seven years. As someone who makes money on football games it's a great thing for EA, but the NFL really shouldn't have done it as it severely hurts sports gamers choices. If anyone in this situation deserves to be boycotted against it's the NFL.
I already don't go to NFL games, that's not something that I can change.

Personally, I see the leagues as the ones encouraging the kicking. They're like the corrupt cop who says, if you pay me some money, you can kick this homeless guy and I won't say boo. Then EA says, "fuck yeah, I think that kicking a homeless guy would be great. In fact, I want to be the only person that you let kick this homeless guy, in fact, I'd like to take this homeless guy back to my house, stick him in my dungeon, dress him in a gimp suit, keep him in a tiny box, and take him out and rape him whenever I want to."

Then the cop says, "Ok, but only for five years."

I don't regard either party as being innocent. It's the fans who are getting ass raped, and no one's stopping it.

===

Oh, and telling me that EA is a knight in shining armor because they "invest" so much money in advertising only reminds me of how much I hate drug companies, so it's not exactly a persuasive argument. The game is on the shelves, you go to the store, you see it. The game itself, in the retail environment, is fully capable of promoting itself. Retailers don't benefit from hiding new, potentially hot games in the back room. This isn't an uphill battle to get people that don't want to buy your product to give it a shot. People who like games are already aware of the titles that are coming out, and those that aren't aren't reading all those videogame mags and web sites that are wallpapered by EA.

===

It's not about what I've "got." My mind is already made up, and I'm not here to convince you to take my position. You asked why I was boycotting EA, and I told you.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
It's not about what I've "got." My mind is already made up, and I'm not here to convince you to take my position. You asked why I was boycotting EA, and I told you.

You'll have to forgive Wes. He was captain of the debate team.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nightfire actually has very nice multiplayer if you're into that sort of thing. The levels weren't epic but the weapons and equipment were grand.

Also Burnout, guys.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Also Burnout, guys.

And by association, Black! No really! Black was a freaking awesome game. I almost wrote an article about it.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to pick it up on your recommendation one of these days. Sounds like my idea of a good time.
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Aug 23, 2006 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Wait, so he's homeless AND has to buy videogames? This hardly seems fair. I shall lead the public outcry.
Poor tim.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
It's the fans who are getting ass raped, and no one's stopping it.

But wait, doesn't Take-Two have the exclusive license to the MLB? And don't Electronic Arts, Take-Two Interactive, Midway Games, Sony, and Atari share the exclusive license to the NBA? Does that mean you're boycotting these companies too? What I don't get is how EA is the bad company when they just happened to be the company offering more money to (keeping with the analogy) kick the homeless guy than Take-Two was. EA is not more unethical than anyone else, just more wealthy.

J.Goodwin wrote:
Oh, and telling me that EA is a knight in shining armor because they "invest" so much money in advertising only reminds me of how much I hate drug companies, so it's not exactly a persuasive argument. The game is on the shelves, you go to the store, you see it. The game itself, in the retail environment, is fully capable of promoting itself. Retailers don't benefit from hiding new, potentially hot games in the back room. This isn't an uphill battle to get people that don't want to buy your product to give it a shot. People who like games are already aware of the titles that are coming out, and those that aren't aren't reading all those videogame mags and web sites that are wallpapered by EA.

I hope I didn't come off as painting EA to be a knight in shining armor, because that's certainly not the case. I have a few EA games, but most of what they publish is complete crap. I've got the SSX games, the Lord of the Rings games, some Will Wright games, a few of the Burnouts, Def Jam: Fight for New York, Timesplitters: Future Perfect, and Oddworld Stranger's Wraith. I don't exactly go out of my way to support the company, but I don't go out of my way to bury it either. They release some really good stuff, but it's usually from either outside developers or their Canadian branch. Everything else is pretty terrible. I guess my whole point is that publishing a few bad games is hardly a reason to miss out on the good ones.

The thing to remember about EA as a publisher is that they're not doing hostile takeovers of these smaller companies. The smaller companies are pursuing EA as a publisher, not the other way around. As I said before, EA will market your game like nobody else, and marketing plays a bigger role in people's sales than it probably should whether you like it or not. This doesn't make them a knight in shining armor, but it does make them a publisher that can sell a lot more games than other publishers, and that's really what developers want. Burnout was an average racing game that Acclaim kinda-sorta pushed a little bit, but under EA the series took off and has basically established an entirely new genre of racing game. That kind of promotion was only possible because EA had the money to risk on it.

You're fooling yourself if you think that someone can just release something great and everyone will just buy it right up. The world doesn't work like that. Let's take The Gamer's Quarter as a hypothetical example. This magazine is pretty damn sweet. People have called it, "better than edge" and shit like that, but unless someone happened to hit up the Insert Credit forums a lot or they check out Chris Kohler's blog on the right day they probably don't know about it. It's not a valid statistic by any means, but if TGQ currently sells magazines to 5% of the people who know about it and we were suddenly available in GameStop stores all around the nation, that percentage could shrink to 1% and we'd still be selling more copies and making a ton more money than we are now. Quality plays an enormous part in sales, but awareness plays a bigger one, and quality only takes awareness so far.

J.Goodwin wrote:

No, as Mr. Mech was saying I just like to debate is all. This is a topic I like to talk about because there are so many good points to be made about the whole concepts of boycotting, business ethics, etc.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd boycott EA, but they just bought out Mythic, and I have definitive plans to have copious sex with Warhammer Online.

FACT.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this talk of kicking homeless guys has got me wanting to put on my homeless-guy-kicking shoes again.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
EA is not more unethical than anyone else, just more wealthy.
Silly me, I hold people and entities with more money to higher standards. They've made more than a living off of society, and my opinion is that they should be giving something back, or have it taken back. With their financial resources, it should be no big thang to do the right thing occasionally. You can change a lot of lives with a million bucks.
Quote:
The thing to remember about EA as a publisher is that they're not doing hostile takeovers of these smaller companies. The smaller companies are pursuing EA as a publisher, not the other way around.
I think that is clearly true of Valve, but that is as fair and equitable an agreement as I've seen EA partake in. Aside from Square\EA/EA\Square. And I don't remember what happened to that. Apparently two entities that love money and create shovelfuls of crapware can't get along well.
Quote:
Burnout was an average racing game that Acclaim kinda-sorta pushed a little bit, but under EA the series took off and has basically established an entirely new genre of racing game.
Just a quck question here...Is Madden a genre or a franchise?
Quote:
You're fooling yourself if you think that someone can just release something great and everyone will just buy it right up. [If The Gamers Quarter was] suddenly available in GameStop stores all around the nation, that percentage could shrink to 1% and we'd still be selling more copies and making a ton more money than we are now. Quality plays an enormous part in sales, but awareness plays a bigger one, and quality only takes awareness so far.
I don't think that anyone can just release something and have people gobble it up. I do think that if you get your product to stores, and have an EA, SEGA, or Nintendo logo on it, you don't have to market that game. The $100 million ad campaign is just a waste of money, because your return over what your sales would have been without that campaign are going to be possibly $200 million in sales, which doesn't even cover the cost of the campaign (since the additional units have their own associated production costs etc, and you're adding on $100 million to sell those incremental units...the company's additional sales are probably not sufficient to cover the costs, creating an incremental loss). The drug companies are starting to figure this out. IIRC, there was an article on the subject in a recent issue of Forbes.

Last edited by J.Goodwin on Thu Aug 24, 2006 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:
I'd boycott EA, but they just bought out Mythic, and I have definitive plans to have copious sex with Warhammer Online.

FACT.
If I were taking a position here, I'd be extolling the virtues of sloppy seconds right at this moment.

FACT.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Wes,

Could you please boycott the crack? This thread seems to be crazy.

Sincerely,
EASpouse.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huzzah!

i don't know if i have any ea games. i used to back when they did you know good stuff.

boycotts are good in the sense that they tend to be nonviolent coersion, even if it's one of those crispie groups that's mad about disney gay day or something. they're bad in the sense that you need huge legs to be really effective and for the most part they're a threat, like when the aarp starts cleaning a pistol while you're talking to it. so like most things involving democracy it's pretty ugly and overblown but it sure beats someone shooting up gay day or ea or whatever. plus, if you're ever in a rival position, they're a great way to build up your business; you can offer the "natural" alternative or whatever (nature is one of the best rhetorical pointers you can ever insert into an argument, because regardless of what people think it means no one but biologists think of it as anything but a synonym for good.)

ea is like walmart in one sense, except i doubt they get the level of subsidies. what they mean as a symbol is similar to what wal-mart means for budding documentary filmmakers and the like. but i wouldn't be surprised if they're overtly tilling it too.

while i thought the ea spouse blog was interesting, if not particularly damning. it's not like american immigration policy totally leaving thousands of people in a legal limbo from which they have little to no position to bargain, etc; it's a white collar job. that doesn't mean ea isn't fucking stupid in pushing people to the bone with no real considerations about anything more than six months in the future, but nerds = fans = willing to put up with a tremendous amount of shit. but the comparisons to genuinely coersive sweatshops were overblown. you're a citizen, you have the ability to negotiate, access to tort, etc. ea is clearly not a place for people with families who want to spend time with them as well, which is fine for some things (peace corps, hedge funds, etc) but not so hot for people with families who find themselves in a similar situation.

and since they don't have access to a tremendous amount of subsidies, ea will pay for their complete lack of foresight.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the spirit of J. Goodwin, here is me flipping EA the bird at E3 this year (we got lost):

SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
Dear Wes,

Could you please boycott the crack? This thread seems to be crazy.

Sincerely,
EASpouse.

Dear EA Spouse,

I was surprised when I read in your blog about all of the unpaid overtime and harsh crunch time working conditions found at EA. I was surprised because I thought it was common knowledge that every single game company did this, regardless of size.

It just happened to be EA that your husband worked at, but every company in gaming, from the biggest giant to the smallest indie developer did this prior to the lawsuits. It just happened to be that EA had the most people working for them, and thus was most likely to be spoken out against.

Please search the internet for videogame overtime lawsuits and you'll see that many companies have been sued since your lawsuit, including but not limited to, Activision, Sony, and even GameStop. I have a friend who worked for a small developer in Ann Arbor who worked hella unpaid crunch time overtime, but his company is so small (15 people max) that he probably wouldn't make any money if he sued.

So in conclusion, I sincerely appreciate the awareness that your lawsuit brought with it. I'm glad that the conditions are improving lately for many of these people who already make over $70,000 a year AND get to make videogames for a living. But these issues were never exclusive to EA, and boycotting their games without boycotting nearly every other game company, and every single Japanese company in existance is like avoiding the biggest drug dealer in favor of the smaller ones. Either way you're supporting the thing that you're trying to stand up against.

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks to me like you won that one. E3 effectively ceased to exist shortly thereafter, right?

I don't have any illusion that me not buying new retail copies of EA's games is going to make any difference at all. It's like not working for the Department of Defense anymore. They just got someone else to do my job, but I feel better not being the one doing it.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The toll of preposterous similes on this thread has reached a staggering level.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
They've made more than a living off of society, and my opinion is that they should be giving something back, or have it taken back.

What, you mean like a bunch of videogames or something?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
J.Goodwin wrote:
They've made more than a living off of society, and my opinion is that they should be giving something back, or have it taken back.
What, you mean like a bunch of videogames or something?
Not particularly. If you want your legacy to be Mutant League Football, then I guess they're doing alright by that standard, eh?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem is that a lot of people like EA's shitty games. Ever hear of Madden? By your standard they may not be living up, but you're hardly representative of "society."

(Personally, I think they just rush out a lot of mediocre games. If they happen to be involved with the creation or publishing of a good game, I've got no problem buying it. That's how they learn what kind of games to put out in the future.)

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
The problem is that a lot of people like EA's shitty games.

I think this has the potential to change. The only reason a lot of people like EA's shitty games is because they only know few other publishers. EA's stuff is freely available and marketed well, so of course people are going to buy it. They've got that name recognition thing going on.

I'm not going to go any further with this because I'm pretty much just stating the obvious here.
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It'd be nice if they put the kind of money behind Dark Age of Camelot to turn it around. I tried to go back to it, but its controls are so obtuse when compared to someone like World of Warcraft. Something as simple as picking up loot seemed troublesome, sometimes clicks were registered and some not. And I had played that game for a while after its release and during its beta.

I do wish EA would do what larger studios do and have smaller companies set off for more diverse offerings. I know something like Spore benefits from their funding, but a more concentrated effort would be appreciated. They are certainly acquiring some interesting companies though, like Phenomic.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny. 50 to 100 years from now when someone is writing about what was happening in videogames in the early/mid 2000-2010 is that Grand Theft Auto was what everyone was playing and that Madden Football was one of the largest selling franchises.

I will personally be wrapped up into this catagorisation with anyone else who ever played games durring this time, including you J. Goodwin. You can't escape history, and it doesn't matter how much individuality or personality you have, you are just part of the mass.

Not that you should quit your boycott, just, you know, make sure you steal a copy of Stranger's Wrath or something.

J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
The problem is that a lot of people like EA's shitty games. Ever hear of Madden? By your standard they may not be living up, but you're hardly representative of "society."
Quite, I've actually graduated college, so I don't live in a dorm anymore, and I grew up in a place where football is traditionally not one of the big sports (although there's been an awful lot of bandwagon jumping since the Patriots started, you know, winning things, will be interesting to see if everyone stays once they stop winning (which is inevitable)).

I actually thought for a while that the Red Sox might have reached the point where it was basically impossible for the organization as a business to fail. Recent events have changed my mind. I used to think the same about the Bruins and Celtics. To say that they've fallen on hard times doesn't adequately describe the situation.

I guess that Madden 06 was the 2nd best selling launch title on 360 through December. It never got over a million units though. Even on PS2, the last three Maddens were progressively less successful in terms of units sold ('04 was over 4 mil, '06 barely reached 3.5 mil (probably because of console shift to 360), it looks like calendar year 2003 was the high point for the Madden series. It's still shifting a hell of a lot of units, mind you, but it's not where it was in the past.

I don't debate at all your point that EA sells a lot of games to people, and that apparently some people like them enough to buy the same game again next year. Apparently, 5.8 million people have bought the 10 versions of The Sims, which exceed's Madden's total unit shift.

But all that pales in comparison to the real big guns...Mario and Pokemon (Pokemon's got Final Fantasy lapped, and it's coming back around the bend for a second pass).
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
you're hardly representative of "society."
Shapermc wrote:
you are just part of the mass.
You guys need to get your message straight.

I would be astonished if in 100 years anyone gives a shit about how many people played which videogame. Then again, there are people who waste their time trying to figure out the attendances and lineups for 100 year old baseball games, so maybe I'll be proven wrong.

I will most likely be dead at that point (or hopping along at the ripe old age of 129, and more concerned with my next tube feeding than my place in history's great mass).

BTW, I'm still trying to figure out how 50 million people are representative of the "mass of humanity" which is numbering upwards of 6.5 billion now. there are far and away more people not buying Madden than buying it, so I guess I'm pretty representative after all.

Other things that I'm representative of the world on:
*Not owning anything with the Playstation designation.
*Not playing games on a PC.

Things I do not represent humanity on:
*Eating vs not eating fish.
*living on the equivalent of less than 6,000 US dollars per year

Last edited by J.Goodwin on Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:46 pm; edited 2 times in total
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhh, guys. These are videogames. What you buy/enjoy doesn't make you part of a society. Unless of course you're a furry or something (not that there's anything wrong with that!).

You don't buy stuff because it adds to statistics, you buy it because you enjoy it. If you're not basing your buying habits on this, there's something wrong. That's sort of my overall argument here.

EDIT: To continue, I think that's where my urge to post a topic like this comes from. Us, the hardcore gamers, base our purchases on the worst possible things. We buy games based on who published them, how obscure they are, and now, apparently, whether or not the company has been sued by one of its employees.

Does anyone else see something wrong here?

Above J.Goodwin pointed out that companies like EA don't need to market their games because their brand name is enough to sell a product. I say bullshit. It might be true of their sports games, but everything else they publish is sold based on either its quality of its subject matter. People don't buy Medal of Honor because it's EA, they buy it because they like Army games. They don't buy Need for Speed Underground because they see the obnoxious EA Medal on the box, they buy it because they're into import car tuning. The same goes for Lord of the Rings, Harry Potter, Marvel Nemesis, Def Jam, and most every other big game they produce. These games aren't selling big because they're selling to gamers - they're selling big because they're selling to people. It's really not a bad thing! It's certainly no less noble to buy Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King because you want to live out the movie than it is to buy Deep Labyrinth because it's published by Atlus.

Or am I totally off on this?

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
You don't buy stuff because it adds to statistics, you buy it because you enjoy it. If you're not basing your buying habits on this, there's something wrong.

i never thought of it that way!

i guess i'll start eating meat and dairy again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
You don't buy stuff because it adds to statistics, you buy it because you enjoy it. If you're not basing your buying habits on this, there's something wrong.

i never thought of it that way!

i guess i'll start eating meat and dairy again.

'Atta girl!

I shouldn't have to tell you that there's a bit of a difference here, should I? I mean, the equivalent in this situation would be where every time you drank soy-milk, a less-rich person would beat a cow instead. You're not a vegetarian/vegan to "stick it to the man," are you? I mean, I really hope you're doing it to save animals and not as a message to big-business.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
Swimmy wrote:
you're hardly representative of "society."
Shapermc wrote:
you are just part of the mass.
You guys need to get your message straight.

I would be astonished if in 100 years anyone gives a shit about how many people played which videogame. Then again, there are people who waste their time trying to figure out the attendances and lineups for 100 year old baseball games, so maybe I'll be proven wrong.

Ok how about I clarify this:

In 50-100 years, in a book about the history of videogames, in the small section about the first decade of 2000, you and I and swimmy will be lumped up as people who "enjoyed; Madden, GTA, and Final Fantasy X."

That's all I am saying. But hell I live for the moment!

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I shouldn't have to tell you that there's a bit of a difference here, should I?

i'm saying it's kind of ridiculous to say BUY WHAT YOU LIKE without allowing room to consider the repercussions of your purchases.

but i havn't really even been following this thread, so whatevs.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I buy all my EA games used, because I disagree with their business/marketing model. So I just stay right out of their demographics. It's not so hard or even worth discussing, really.

We as gamers have it easy with the whole used market when we want to not support something but play the game anyway. I remember when my mom, for the first 10 years of my life, was boycotting grapes due to migrant labor/agricultural/pesticide reasons. It's much harder to find a second hand grape than a second hand copy of SSX3, people.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You can't escape history

shaper has discovered the theme of the next podcast. what this means in radio-land i have no idea.

wes:

you are wrong because:

markets are a part of society because they are a form of communication (society communicating with itself).

that action carries some form of responsibility with it. even the smallest society has some form of tort (i think?). regardless, let us try a thought experiment.

a dude runs a restaurant across the street from your house. it's your favorite joint ever. best food, etc. one day the dude retires (or is retired by nature's god) and the place is bought by some kinda fucking guy who does some shit - or is some kinda shit - you just can't fucking stand. so you say to yourself, "shit, i don't care if this is the best [favorite food] i ever tasted in my goddamn life. i can't give my business to this guy cause [shit you just can't stand]."

dig it? maybe you're doing it for emotional reasons, or religious reasons, or political reasons, but you cannot allow yourself to participate with him and his business in some capacity. you are communicating your dislike/disgust/mistrust of his practices and removing yourself from interactions with his livlihood. maybe you'll even tell him, "hey, [shit you just can't stand]." but probably not. ever watch a restaurant get progressively less busy over time? that's a form of mass communication, and it hits people in various ways.

and when things hit ya personally - like in the wallet - you notice. communication received. it's not an everyone hold hands one love/kumbayah (b-side) 7" but it's also not without consequences.

which is exactly why boycotts work. or anti-boycotts, like someone’s attachment to the products of [game company/system manufacturer/shareware scene]

someone might buy a copy of TGQ for various reasons - a desire to read it, a love of printed materials, or because they feel our intense minty-fresh indie diy spirit is worthy of a form of support. and this support is communicated to us, almost seemingly by magic, in the form of being able to continue printing TGQ. their choice has actual consequence, even if it is only an ethical decision and no other factors – money, time, blindness – are involved. hell, especially if it's an ethical decision - they might not even like TGQ very much but feel compelled to pass it around and help "spread the word" out of a sense of ethical obligation.

to go even further: we may find ourselves in a position where we are no longer the operational version of a tiny can-do labor of love invoked by phrases like "intense minty-fresh indie diy spirit" and expand into something larger. if we found that a large portion of our audience was involved in the ethic as much as the rhetoric it would actually behoove us to cater to this in some way. i don't actually recommend catering to demographics in this manner but as a general example i believe it's kosher/halal.

and so we speak to each other using actions, and money, and we sometimes touch lives very far away for better and for ill. TGQ (as an enterprise) is made up of people who mostly don’t live anywhere near each other, and yet their communications – literally - have had an impact on their lives, and the lives of people we’ve never even met or spoken to. sometimes money changes hands, or some other kind of trade is enacted, and that’s ok too. it is, in a small way, what the great wheel of life is, in a large way.

now if you’ll excuse me I’m going to lie down on the floor and listen to bardo pond for a few hours.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 24, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And EA would be feeling the heat of its policies if it weren't for Madden. The amount of revenue that game creates is insane. Madden and WoW are in a class by themselves and EA better hope that Madden continues its ESPN/NFL-esque popularity otherwise they'll be in a world of hurt.

And yeah, I tend to blame the NFL in the exclusive licensing situation. Just a piss-poor decision on their part, as opposed to a very savvy move by EA.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: