The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Large scale environments: (ie. Hyrule Field, SOTC)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:10 pm    Post subject: Large scale environments: (ie. Hyrule Field, SOTC) Reply with quote

Am I the only person who dislikes the 'realistic' scale of modern 3d rpgs, especially real-time combat ones. They just don't pack in the same kind of pacing as the 2d games like Zelda: A Link to the Past etc.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That environment was at least half the point of SotC, and I actually appreciate them in action RPGs generally. Where I have issues is giant environments with random encounters where you know you can't make it from point A to point B without 20 minutes of combat. Hyrule field at night, for instance, gives you a sense of being alone and overwhelmed by zombies, and you could fight all night and not kill them all, or you could just run. It makes more sense than the static RPG method anyway; why would the world-saving hero want to stop and fight every last beast in the woods?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
why would the world-saving hero want to stop and fight every last beast in the woods?

Because god has willed it. Or spaketh it.
Six

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
why would the world-saving hero want to stop and fight every last beast in the woods?

Explosive wild animal population growth is actually a more pressing ecological issue than that big meteor.
squidlarkin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Especially those bunnies in the mountains! Considering that any one of them, should it reach civilization, could overwhelm an entire battalion of Shinra guards.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think both examples are pretty dissimilar. Hyrule Field isn't actually that big, when you measure it in, uh, Link-units. In comparison, the world of SotC is much larger.

It's also used differently because there's really nothing that forces itself on the player. No enemies, very little in terms of immediate distractions; just space.

And the space is traversed differently in that in Zelda, you need to earn the horse and in SotC you gain the horse right from the beginning. This is because while you can run Hyrule Field, it's easier to use the horse. SotC, on the other hand, basically requires you to use the horse. I can't imagine attempting to play the game on foot, it would take a truly ridiculous amount of time.

The difference to me is holistic design. Zelda does not require Hyrule Field, it's just a crutch. SotC is designed around the huge amount of open space.

And for the record, I'm not a big fan of the level design in LttP. I like the original Zelda much more.
DonMarco

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think we should include Midnight Club series in this discussion. Seriously, it's like driving matchbox cars around shoeboxes.
simplicio

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
I think we should include Midnight Club series in this discussion. Seriously, it's like driving matchbox cars around shoeboxes.

Interesting; I've only played the third but it feels pretty expansive to me, in a good way. i mean, races are spread out around the city, and there's enough space between them to just have a little fun driving.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes I feel like I'm the only person in the world who liked Hyrule field. Dude, it goes from day to night! Also, sometimes you meet a running man.

protip: the Stalfos will not appear if you remain on the path!
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
The difference to me is holistic design. Zelda does not require Hyrule Field, it's just a crutch. SotC is designed around the huge amount of open space.

And for the record, I'm not a big fan of the level design in LttP. I like the original Zelda much more.
Not just Hyrule field. In Zelda games there is no incentive (other than opening doors) to kill non-boss enemies at all. So it's the dichotomy between menu RPGs and action RPGs.

Now if only I could figure out which one Oblivion is. Feels like an action RPG, but tastes like butter.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
In Zelda games there is no incentive (other than opening doors) to kill non-boss enemies at all. So it's the dichotomy between menu RPGs and action RPGs.

Not quite true, there is a small reward for fighting you get a few rupees and a some health hearts occasionally. But yeah, you can just run past a lot of enemies if they aren't key to 'puzzles'.

Interestingly enough this is similar in Mario games (except that you get points which lead to extra-lives eventually). I'd like to see a playthrough where goombas and koopas are avoided until the player gets to Bowser and defeats him.

I didn't know that you don't get attacked if you stay on the path!

(p.s the variable ratio effect that slotmachines use, where you get different rewards each time, sometimes no reward, sometimes a minor payout sometimes a small jackpot)
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't think you can include Mario games when talking about avoiding enemies, at least not the 2d Mario games. Goombas and koopas play just as important a role in level design as pipes and bricks; they don't just exist as something to kill or to kill you.

This thread is pretty interesting for me in that when I play the 3-d Zeldas, I kill the enemies much more often than not. I like that it isn't necessary. Battles for experience in rpg's feel too forced. I kill the enemies in Zelda because swinging the sword is fun, not because link has to, or because it will make me better. It's just fun.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Hyrule field at night, for instance, gives you a sense of being alone and overwhelmed by zombies, and you could fight all night and not kill them all, or you could just run. It makes more sense than the static RPG method anyway; why would the world-saving hero want to stop and fight every last beast in the woods?

Hyrule Field is one of my favourite videogame locations. It was the game that made me never want to play another JRPG again, because it felt like the proper, natural progression of that old abstract standby, the Overworld Map. Despite its simplicity, you encounter all the same sorts of things you would in an old-fashioned RPG: surprise encounters, waylaying creatures (or being waylaid by them). except, you know, it was fun.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.

I think Aonuma had something to say about the purpose of the non-boss enemies on Zelda- he talked about how when he worked on Link to the Past, he found he spend a lot of time just chopping down bushes. I think everyone who plays that game does, in fact. So he always includes plenty of stuff to chop down for the heck of it, as he sees this as the key to Zelda's charm (rather than just a by-product of play). The enemies in his games aren't much more than an extension of that. Of course, in the NES days they were there to make the game hard. Both approaches are ok. I like hitting the little rat dudes with the hammer!

The usual critcisms aside, I think Wind Waker is the ultimate refinement of Aonuma's(mis?)interpertation of Zelda. In Wind Waker, just spin-attacking a load of flowers is fun in itself. And the enemies are so cool looking. It's like candy that you stab.

Ketch wrote:
I didn't know that you don't get attacked if you stay on the path!

Not many people do! My friend discovered it one day and sent it in to Nintendo Power, and they printed it in the hints section. I think they sent him a Mario t-shirt or something, too. It was the proudest moment in his life up to that point.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like fucking with those eye of truth stones. And I like stabbing candy.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have no utter admiration for Hyrule Field but I did love the sailing in Wind Waker (until I got sick of it towards the end). After I first got the boat, I would just go and sail around for hours at a time in that game.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i felt like wind waker's ocean was hyrule field done right. in retrospect they probably should have let link use the spyglass at least while sailing, but at the beginning there's this palpable sense of discovery. then you find out that each square of the grid contains one fish and one island and one sunken treasure. i didn't discover the giant squids until the end, though, and they were quite a discovery!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I have no utter admiration for Hyrule Field but I did love the sailing in Wind Waker (until I got sick of it towards the end). After I first got the boat, I would just go and sail around for hours at a time in that game.
Wow. I absolutely hated the sailing. Still haven't finished that game (and won't for a bit since I hocked the GameCube. Kept the game of course).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i felt like wind waker's ocean was hyrule field done right. in retrospect they probably should have let link use the spyglass at least while sailing, but at the beginning there's this palpable sense of discovery. then you find out that each square of the grid contains one fish and one island and one sunken treasure. i didn't discover the giant squids until the end, though, and they were quite a discovery!

There's a palpable sense of discovery, which is crushed when you discover you're not allowed to deviate from the set path until you're about 2 dungeons in. It's nearly good, though. I like the sailing, more or less, it just kind of feels like I'm not playing a Zelda game.

Also, I was kind of disappointed when I discovered that Wind Waker's ocean contained basically not much. I do enjoy discovering things, but whatever you find is going to come from the same basic tileset. Treasures are always a piece of heart, a map or rupees (never, for example, some crazy mask or ancient cape of power, or something). Islands are always the same set of textures, objects and enemies in a slightly different configuration. Even the secret holes in the ground are all basically the same 2 or 3 levels. Actually that's true of Ocarina, too.

I don't really mind it so much, it's a good game considering the timeframe it was made in, but when I played it the first time, I was hoping to find something good out on the ocean. Maybe a second Windfall-type island. (Mainly because that girl who you turn away from the life of a thief tells you she now works a second job on 'another island'. Where is this other island? It's not in the game BOOOOO)

Actually, I guess the birdman contest, boat time trial and cannon game islands were pleasant surprises.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, are we talking about Zelda now, or these types of locations?

I think that there are quite a few games that do it right. Megaman Legends does it very well, Steambot Chronicles does at times, The Legend of River King: A Wonderful Jouney gets this aspect right (if not a bit boring the rest of the time), and even most recently Dead Rising.

I know I am missing some here though (not including ones previously listed).

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this has to be limited to just Zelda games, Wind Waker was the first thing that came to mind when I thought about it.

I wish more games would incorporate large expansive areas with things to explore. I realize the technical limitations of this sort of thing, but personally I would enjoy more efforts in this area.

I remember the last area of Dungeon Siege is this gigantic desert that you cross trying to find this hidden dungeon, with only the sound of the wind to help guide you. It wasn't as great implemented as it sounds on paper, but I enjoyed it quite a bit for what it was.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ocean in Wind Waker was a wonderful idea that had shit-poor implementation.

Forcing you in a single direction to start, not allowing you to use other items while using the sail and having a regimented single-island-to-a-square design made what could have been the Zelda version of Sid Meier's Pirates! an exercise in drudgery.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This ties in a bit with a pet issue of mine, how "specially designed for this adventure" games feel, and those that are in denial about it.

Metroid Prime is kind of the worst offender... a giant lovely world, but so carefully arranged so that, say, you can SEE where you can't get to 'til you get the double jump, or a special kind of missile, or whatever that it feels really contrived.

With Zelda, th dungeons are puzzley in that same way, though Hyrule overworld, much less so. It largely feels like it could be a place.

(This ties in, though, with the way both Metroid and Zelda tend to have to "reset" the main character to weak. As opposed to Mario, which more open about it's puzzle-ish world, but have little item accumlulation/powerup)

GTA series is still my favorite balance of a real big place that just happens to have your story going on it.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 21, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
This ties in a bit with a pet issue of mine, how "specially designed for this adventure" games feel, and those that are in denial about it.

Metroid Prime is kind of the worst offender... a giant lovely world, but so carefully arranged so that, say, you can SEE where you can't get to 'til you get the double jump, or a special kind of missile, or whatever that it feels really contrived.
I've been playing Half Life 2 for the first time starting yesterday. It has a very strong "go here, jump here, shoot here" vibe to it. The only exception is when you have to go up a specific ladder to get to the next area. And in that case, it's not that you don't have to go that way, it's that you can't see the fucking ladder.

Still, through the endless load screens and chunkalicious frame rates coming out of a load...I can see the appeal of the game. I believe it has something to do with Alyx's ass.
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

Metroid Prime is kind of the worst offender... a giant lovely world, but so carefully arranged so that, say, you can SEE where you can't get to 'til you get the double jump.

I think that this issue is one of the things that tends to hold games back from mass-appeal, that they are so contrived. When games become more accessible, and allow you more ways to make progress without just following what game-lore tells you to do (shoot everything that moves, pick up every useless thing going, and have the reflexes of a panther). Then maybe we will see a change in market (I can see a little of this with the DS, and Brain Training*, Pheonix Wright and Nintendogs.).

*Brain Training seems to be the way that more games should go, rather than concentrating on making a make-believe world that you must suspend disbelief to get into, they should be more of a meta-game where the experience encompasses your whole interaction with the game. Progress isn't about completing levels, or ticking off story points. But instead it is INTERNAL the player gets better at everything as theyplay and explore (but not in a high-score way), and they are able to understand the internal logic of the characters and world (if the game portrays a world).

I'd like to see more games where you could say, jump into the middle, then progress to the 'end' before going back to the beginning. And it would be just as good as doing it in another order. So you could pass the control pad and say, have a go at this.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
*Brain Training seems to be the way that more games should go, rather than concentrating on making a make-believe world that you must suspend disbelief to get into, they should be more of a meta-game where the experience encompasses your whole interaction with the game. Progress isn't about completing levels, or ticking off story points. But instead it is INTERNAL the player gets better at everything as theyplay and explore (but not in a high-score way), and they are able to understand the internal logic of the characters and world (if the game portrays a world).
So, do you accept or reject Oblivion?

How about Amp3d?

Both good examples of making a more or less complete world, and then letting you do whatever you want in it, and rewarding you for either doing your own thing (even if you "just" drive around the mountain on a snowmobile you get an achievement in Amp3d eventually), or for doing what they want you to do.

I've never played GTA and don't have any real intention to. I might rent Saint's Row.
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:

How about Amp3d?

I'm not really interested in either, I'd just like to see more in the way of mass-market appeal titles like Nintendogs and Brain-Training. (Especially if they are actually good 'games/toys/tools' too) Part of the appeal being that neither ask you to jump through contrived hoops to progress. Actually, Brain-Training does 'make you jump through hoops'- BUT these are useful and relevant to the real world hoops to jump through, and you are able to get a real feeling of accomplishment at your progress.

The problem I have with most games is the do or die mentality that they have. Ie. Avoid the goomba - or die!

I want to see more simulations (with a playful streak), more adventure games in real world settings with (almost) real world logic, not totally goofy puzzles. How about Sim Breakdown, where you get to try to fix your car? Or CSI-type games. Tamagotchi Vet games?
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
I've been playing Half Life 2 for the first time starting yesterday. It has a very strong "go here, jump here, shoot here" vibe to it. The only exception is when you have to go up a specific ladder to get to the next area. And in that case, it's not that you don't have to go that way, it's that you can't see the fucking ladder.

I got stuck in a damn room with the square of conveyor belts and furnaces in HL on DC, just going around and around and running around on the floor below trying to find the next bit. Bleh.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
I'm not really interested in either, I'd just like to see more in the way of mass-market appeal titles like Nintendogs and Brain-Training. (Especially if they are actually good 'games/toys/tools' too)

Have you thought about how these are really just context shifts? The reasons to play are still sort of intrinsically tied to those in other video games (ie: the risk vs. reward thing), it's just that it's taking place in a more familliar environment. If a game about washing a car has basically the same gameplay as a game about smashing a car, do you really get more out of one than the other?

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:28 am; edited 2 times in total
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
J.Goodwin wrote:

How about Amp3d?

I'm not really interested in either, I'd just like to see more in the way of mass-market appeal titles like Nintendogs and Brain-Training. (Especially if they are actually good 'games/toys/tools' too) Part of the appeal being that neither ask you to jump through contrived hoops to progress. Actually, Brain-Training does 'make you jump through hoops'- BUT these are useful and relevant to the real world hoops to jump through, and you are able to get a real feeling of accomplishment at your progress.

The problem I have with most games is the do or die mentality that they have. Ie. Avoid the goomba - or die!

I want to see more simulations (with a playful streak), more adventure games in real world settings with (almost) real world logic, not totally goofy puzzles. How about Sim Breakdown, where you get to try to fix your car? Or CSI-type games. Tamagotchi Vet games?
So, I'm reading this, and you say that what you don't like is the linearity and dualistic choices (bop or avoid the goomba, or die), but what you really want is games that are equally linear and/or dualistic, but take place in a "real world" scenario.

This is the same argument about the relevance of elf hit points. You want edutainment titles.

Or am I mischaracterizing your position?

How do you feel about "Oregon Trail?" Or Forza Motorsport / Gran Turismo?
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
If a game about washing a car has basically the same gameplay as a game about smashing a car, does it really matter which one you're playing?

What do you mean by "basically the same gameplay"? Like same physical movements, just different feedback, one presenting a smashed car, the other a clean one?

Few games are so purely abstract as all that though. A lot of games are about interacting with a microcosm, not just strictly with a gameplay dynamic.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
What do you mean by "basically the same gameplay"? Like same physical movements, just different feedback, one presenting a smashed car, the other a clean one?

I'm thinking more conceptual. We always get people talking about how game concepts need to be less based on shooty, smashy, punchy, but at the end of the day it's really more about pushing buttons and watching stuff happen. Does what we take away from the games on a non-emotional level really differ depending on the context? Do we really feel like we're doing the things games ask us to do, or are we trying to get something else from games?

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

I'm thinking more conceptual. We always get people talking about how game concepts need to be less based on shooty, smashy, punchy, but at the end of the day it's really more about pushing buttons and watching stuff happen. Does what we take away from the games on a non-emotional level really differ depending on the context? Do we really feel like we're doing the things games ask us to do, or are we trying to get something else from games?

Do we "really" feel like we're doing the things games ask us to do? Of course not, no more than kids playing house are really convinced they're the mommy and daddy and all that jazz.

If I smash a car in a game, I don't feel I've done anything in the "real world" except shove some plastic around, thus provoking certain changes in electrons and photons etc, but I feel like I've done something within the *game world*, and that's the important thing. (I guess it's how those photons and electrons haven then caused a change in MY brain that's the "interesting" real world application)

And washing a car feels different than smashing a car in a game world, even if the physical mechanic happened to be similar.

So what do you mean by "what we take away from these games on a non-emotional level"?

It's tough to think of "purely abstract" games, except maybe "Core War". Even Tetris is kind of a microcosm of blocks.
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:

for some reason this quote also reminded me of Margaret Robertson's lecture on emotion in gaming, and how she thinks the way to go may be to let the player do the emtional work, rather than the developer spending all its time trying to create "the scene that makes you cry." She also compares Final Fantasy to Michael Bay's Armageddon, which is pretty awesome.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 8:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Emotional manipulation is a trite affair anyway.
Ketch

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
and how she thinks the way to go may be to let the player do the emtional work, rather than the developer spending all its time trying to create "the scene that makes you cry."

Yes, I'd like to see ones which allow for more personal input into them, like using the stylus to draw your arch-enemy, and name him. That way it would feel a little bit more personal.

In a non-real world example of the kind of thing I'd like to see as a METAgame, it would be like Majora's Mask meets Brain Training or Animal Crossing. So you would get an hour's play each day, in which you could complete the game, or not. Each time you play it would be partly randomised so you would get different rewards etc. The game would rate you on how well you played, and give you tips. Somedays you would defeat Ganon, and somedays he would defeat you.. he would send you messages when you started like in System Shock. Sometimes the enemy would laugh at you, and sometimes be upset that you won last time.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

On the contrary, Metroid Prime is the least offender. The game gives you a reason why the world seems so specially designed for Samus: the Chozo created many of the areas and structures (including the doors and their various shields, the spiderball tracks, the switches that the morphball just happens to fit into, etc.) as training grounds for her to master her suit and its weapons. The destroyable bricks no longer have little missile icons telling you, "Hey, this is a missile brick," but are made of various materials that happen to be weak to certain forces. Some of them are videogamey, but some are placed in areas where you can imagine erosion weakening it. All in all it's pretty clever.

Of course, that's the easy way out. The hard way is to create a world with numerous dead ends or areas that look reachable yet aren't. But that pisses people off.

Now Metroid Prime 2, that's the worst offender. It's like a slap in the face after the first added some moderate believability to your typically inexplicable videogame world. Also see: ICO. Or every jRPG ever made. ("Aw, crap, it looks like I'm going the right way. I'd better turn around and see if there's a treasure chest down the other way." Of course there always is.)

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everyone just play riven.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
On the contrary, Metroid Prime is the least offender. The game gives you a reason why the world seems so specially designed for Samus: the Chozo created many of the areas and structures (including the doors and their various shields, the spiderball tracks, the switches that the morphball just happens to fit into, etc.) as training grounds for her to master her suit and its weapons.

Hmm, I hadn't thought about it in terms of it being constructed for Her, I thought it was more like her suit was constructed to meet the pre-existing standards of the Chozo technology. It makes a bit more sense, but still...
And it reminds me of my general discontent w/ the Incredibly Shrinking Metroid Universe.The first game had a neat feel of a bounty hunter in a world he (then she) just would never understand, all ancient ruins and old mystery. Now we find out it's practically a family reunion.

I hate universes that get smaller instead of bigger as the sequels get made, ala "Darth Vader built 3CPO" effect. It's all fan shoutouts instead of worldbuilding.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shrinking in terms of how alien it is to her--this I can see. But the scope of her environment's comprehensibility has remained the same largely because of the 3D iterations' sometimes-maligned avoidance of long cutscenes and dialogue in the few short ones that occur. I have loved in Prime and Echoes (slightly less so in echoes) the highly first person (due to the dearth of 3rd person cutscenes), player actuated discovery of utter ruin. Every new area Samus--this is much more true in Prime than Echoes--discovers has either been destroyed along with its inhabitants or deserted and left to rot. The narrative unfolds doubly, then: Samus acts out her own lonely story while simultaneously reconstructing the history of this planet, which while many of its features may have been designed for her in the past, in its present dilapidation must bear little resemblence to the home she once knew. I can't give the game enough credit for placing the responsibility of this dual narrative thread squarely and with no exception in the hands of the player. For me it was a real revolution in gaming.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Samus: Like A Velvet Glove Cast In Iron

I wonder what John Woo sees in the story of Metroid to want to make a film out of it. I hope it's the same as what I see.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: