The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

nah nah na na na na bully bully buh buh

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  

bullies who hurt bullies...
are the luckiest people
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
two wrongs don't make a (w)right
7%
 7%  [ 1 ]
self cleaning oven phenomenon
46%
 46%  [ 6 ]
next GTA plz thx
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
why defend yourself when the police will show up eventually to tag remains and arrange your broken body so your parents can identify you at the morgue?
23%
 23%  [ 3 ]
Total Votes : 13

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:11 am    Post subject: nah nah na na na na bully bully buh buh Reply with quote

http://www.kotaku.com/

scroll on down to the video clip of jack thompson and his pro-game clone doing their impression of some shitty fox news / cnn yakety-yak. and a cooler head in the middle as well, at least until he blames hip hop and all that stuff. (no one's played the game, naturally)

motherfuckers need to take a page from the mclaughlin group. sure, there's yelling, but look at just how fucking genteel those fuckers get. even big tony shockley has been known to be semi-polite, and these dudes all kinda hate each other.

i have no interest in bully, but i do like the whole media thing around bully. a bully that beats up bullies is pretty standard fare.

also, i get the feeling that people like, never played football or whatever. swirlies and ass races were the least of peoples concerns.

and there is no british equivalent of the first amendment, so score one for shouty gamer dude.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:37 am    Post subject: Re: nah nah na na na na bully bully buh buh Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
a bully that beats up bullies is pretty standard fare.

Bruce Wayne had a rough, but edifying, school life.
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

football players at my highschool were the ones who played, and tried to spread, this game where they tried to shove their thumb or side of their hand up someone else's ass - call it koncho 2000 or koncho: catholic school edition. to those who weren't exposed to this constantly, it was horrifying. worry about this, tv people. worry about this.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's a little too homosocial even for high school.

i duct taped a kid into a box and kicked it down a flight of stairs once. but he was unhurt so it was ok.

anyway, i guess i'm sympathetic cause like, zero tolerance is bullshit, teaching kids to not fight back when someone attacks you is bullshit, and the contempt some people have for the very concept of self-defense is ridiculous.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't care who is beating up who in this game, that there's a game where children are beating up other children scares me greatly.
SJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I don't care who is beating up who in this game, that there's a game where children are beating up other children scares me greatly.

It's OK to kill 34 virtual grandmothers in four minutes, but god forbid if a single virtual child gets roughed up?
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't say that either.
SJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nana Komatsu wrote:
I didn't say that either.

OK, I was just checking. I certainly do not mean to put words in your mouth.

It'll certainly be interesting to see where society draws the arbitrary line. We'll probably draw it for the children as usual.

EDIT: GTA is weak for not including children.
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"How can you shoot women and children?!"

"Easy, you don't lead 'em so much."
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what I'm trying to say is that I'm worried showing children the images of other children being violent to each other will potentially lead to copycat behavior because when they're not playing Bully, they're still faced with other kids at school and such.

Images of violence against adults, grandmas, etc are all over the media and we can teach kids that "this is wrong, you don't do this" but showing kids scenes that could come out of their every day lives is much harder to distinguish as "don't do this".
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

like the old joke about the nytimes lead at the end of the world:

"apocalypse upon us: women, minorities hardest hit"

i wonder if it's a universal that the lives are men are held in less regard concerning loss of life and limb (rhetorically, if not in actuality) across all cultures (compared to women, the young and the elderly, etc)? i hafta go find me an anthropologist now. it makes sense, of course, but it is interesting.
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was being bullied once in fifth grade the response from my parents was "Punch him in the nose until he bleeds.".

So, uh, yeah. That's my experience with bullies.
SJ

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
When I was being bullied once in fifth grade the response from my parents was "Punch him in the nose until he bleeds.".

This is a valid response to bullying. Did you do it?
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i wonder if it's a universal that the lives are men are held in less regard concerning loss of life and limb (rhetorically, if not in actuality) across all cultures (compared to women, the young and the elderly, etc)? i hafta go find me an anthropologist now. it makes sense, of course, but it is interesting.

Hinduism, with the whole practice of tossing the wife on the husband's funeral pyre? Or anywhere in the middle east where women are frequently punished for the crimes of their brothers/male family members?

I think the expendable nature of the male largely comes from a combination of dangerous physical work and the concept of honor as a thing worth killing or dying for. Women, on the other hand, tend to get preferential treatment (in terms of life and death) except when expressly denied such by fundamentalist religion.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:

So, uh, yeah. That's my experience with bullies.

The funny thing is, my parents told me the exact same thing (I was the same age, too) so I did it and I didn't get in any trouble at school because apparently the kid deserved it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I think the expendable nature of the male largely comes from a combination of dangerous physical work and the concept of honor as a thing worth killing or dying for.

yeah.

reproductively more replaceable as well.
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was bullied. It makes you stronger, I swear it does.
This doesn't apply to "total bullying". Like total war, when all the bullies do is pick on you and beat you up and shit, and then you snap and find a shotgun or whatever and GO HARD.
Being picked occasionally stops you from thinking the world is a reasonable place, just like today, where I went to the North Shore and all the white people looked at me funny, just because of my skin colour. Reminds you people are kind of suck.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 4:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reminded of Fallout 2, back in the day where people complainedthere wasn't a child model, despite their being children in the game.

When I was back in school with the typical bully treatment, I simply assumed that I was justified in causing enough physical distress as necessary to deflect them. This worked with mix results, but generally made them leave me alone, so I suppose it was effective. I can't say I much cared for the school authorities' take on my attitude, considering kids, teenagers and anything in between are little shits.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was bullied. It didn't make me stronger, it made me unbearably introverted. I've since had a lifetime of cyclical depression and massive problems forming close relationships.

Fuck bullies.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toto wrote:
I went to the North Shore and all the white people looked at me funny, just because of my skin colour.

J. Goodwin, you owe everybody a comment on this one, because what this thread needs is a throwdown.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SJ wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:

This is a valid response to bullying. Did you do it?

It certainly is, isn't it! And no, I never worked up the nerve to actually punch him. He was one of those strange bullies, who one day would be like a dear friend and the next a mortal enemy. Very confusing for my ten year old mind.

Though I did bean him in the head with a dodge ball once when he wasn't ready for it. Almost knocked him off his feet. Needless to say, ours was a short lived affair.
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
It certainly is, isn't it! And no, I never worked up the nerve to actually punch him. He was one of those strange bullies, who one day would be like a dear friend and the next a mortal enemy. Very confusing for my ten year old mind.

Though I did bean him in the head with a dodge ball once when he wasn't ready for it. Almost knocked him off his feet. Needless to say, ours was a short lived affair.

The same thing happened to me. We're still friends today. He was in with his wife for a mutual friend's wedding and mentioned how much of a dick he was, then chuckled about it in a weird way. I'm pretty sure he's apologized for it by now. He's an all-around good guy now with a sweet wife, even invited me to their wedding even though I hadn't seen him in a few years, so I just chalked it up to growing pains.

I went to a small school, so bullying wasn't really a big problem. My freshman year a few guys in home ec. did. It sucked, out of all the different groups to be in, with only one with people my grade and people I knew, I was put in the one group of guys that I hated. Finally one day I got pissed whenever this guy kept poking me with a pincushion - needles poking out with it stuck to some string so he could sling it - we had near zero tolerance then (fully enacted my senior year), and I couldn't decide if my parents would be pissed or not if I did something, so after one guy did it a few times and stopped his friend tried. That's when I slammed him against the wall and threatened him with a hot iron.

I've never been a big guy, but he wasn't either and he was particularly annoying. When I let up he suddenly got his balls back, jumping around, so I said I had no desire to fight, I just wanted to be left alone. I can't recall them ever messing with me after that. Still, fuck those guys.
Mr. Mechanical
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
Mr. Mechanical wrote:

The same thing happened to me. We're still friends today.

That's nice. I think the guy I'm talking about has AIDS now, at least that's what I heard, but I wouldn't know because I never kept up with him after that year and I think he dropped out before high school or else moved off somewhere. He's probably dead now for all I know. Funny how that works out.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Toto wrote:
I went to the North Shore and all the white people looked at me funny, just because of my skin colour.
J. Goodwin, you owe everybody a comment on this one, because what this thread needs is a throwdown.
North Shore of where though?

I'm not saying that someone whose skin was dark wouldn't get second looks here (my sister does all the time, and I know that's difficult for her), I'm just asking.

Last edited by J.Goodwin on Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
helicopterp wrote:
Toto wrote:

I'm not saying that someone whose skin was dark wouldn't get second looks here (my sister does all the time, and I know that's difficult for her), I'm just asking.

I guess that's kind of a throwdown.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
J.Goodwin wrote:
helicopterp wrote:
Toto wrote:

I guess that's kind of a throwdown.
Particularly the place where I'm actually at is extremely white. The whole region is that way. Boston itself is pretty low on the dark skin seismometer, particularly in comparison to Chicago. There are some areas where there are more, but the minorities here are predominantly Luso or Dominican.

Then again, maybe they meant the North Shore of Chicago (Gold Coast). Pretty fucking white, except the projects. Lots of drugs sold there, but it's pretty easy to see who's buying and who's selling, and predominantly it's not african americans either way.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Mechanical wrote:
That's nice. I think the guy I'm talking about has AIDS now, at least that's what I heard, but I wouldn't know because I never kept up with him after that year and I think he dropped out before high school or else moved off somewhere. He's probably dead now for all I know. Funny how that works out.
One of my high school friends had AIDS (in high school, he got a bad transfusion when he was a kid). He wasn't the most social person as a result.

I also said some shit that I really regretted saying later to him before I knew. Basically his biggest goal in life was just to graduate high school. He died about a year later, and spent that whole year after graduation doing AIDS education.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Toto wrote:

Helicopterp, I am now confused ITT. Does J. Goodwin have something to do with what I said?
Is it the same everywhere? That'd be kind of funny. The North Shore here is the rich area, you have to cross the Harbour Bridge to get there. Suddenly what they told you about ethnic diversity is all lies, on that side of the Bridge.
To cancel out the North Shore I went to the Iranian restaurant.
And then I bought Krispy Kreme.
Toto wrote:
SO DELICIOUS, SO CHEAP.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I was bullied. It didn't make me stronger, it made me unbearably introverted. I've since had a lifetime of cyclical depression and massive problems forming close relationships.

well, it doesn't work for everyone. especially not in the age of the safety kids. (i.e. bicycle helmets for tricycles, et al)

our football coaches would let people fight it out off the field with some boxing gloves if people were being dicks to each other. usually ended with no harm no foul, which is how that sort of thing is supposed to go. zero tolerance is asscrap.

then again, i have no particular problem with hazing persay either. i just don't quite understand it's application in some areas (fraternities) versus others (the gamer's quarter).

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
then again, i have no particular problem with hazing persay either. i just don't quite understand it's application in some areas (fraternities) versus others (the gamer's quarter).

I saw a special about hazing that featured an incident involving a highschool band. At a BBQ to introduce everyone, someone was beaten with a 2-by-4 and some sodomized with sticks. I wasn't aware that band had gotten that rough.
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember one of the black fraternaties here in Baton Rouge was in the papers because they whipped an initiate with a paddle so hard he had to get asssurgery.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

there was that insane football camp case recently too. delaware?

young males beat the shit out of each other, as god intended.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
young males beat the shit out of each other, as god intended.
If I believed there was a creator god, I would have no difficulty at all, based on the evidence presented, believe that god intended exactly that.

Instead, I believe that the world was created by the anti-god.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gnosticism is experiencing a resurgence of sorts.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
gnosticism is experiencing a resurgence of sorts.
Easy to see why. I guess it's true in any era. Anyone who thinks about it can't possibly believe that the universe was created by a god with any beneficial interests in humanity whatsoever.

Not even the founding fathers believed that horseshit.

Except Jefferson. And he was too busy boning his slaves to give it proper thought.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jefferson_Bible
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know if I was bullied or not, but I had a nemisis in Middle School. We use to fight about once a week, if not more, for a good year. I would win 80% of the time, but he almost always instigated the fight. It only happen once on school propertery and I busted his face open on a bench in the lunch room. I got an in-school suspension, he got an out of school suspension.

Also, once, I was like 8 or 10, and I was a crossing guard for first graders. This kid wanted to fight with me and announced when he was going to do it. I asked a frined of mine what I should do. He informed me to use the belt and buckle, that I was issued (the orange one) for being a crossing guard, as a whip, or like a helicopter. I nailed him once with the buckle of it in the face. He started to cry, then punched me in the stomach and threw me in the bushes... so yea.

I don't think I was really bullied, but I was picked on a bit at different points in my life, but who isn't?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaper you pick on me even now.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleNixon wrote:
Shaper you pick on me even now.

But... it's so easy!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Toto wrote:
Helicopterp, I am now confused ITT. Does J. Goodwin have something to do with what I said?

Not really, I don't think. I had just remembered him being fairly vocal about being from some North Shore (however many there are) and was trying to incite some silly facetious city pride. Then the thread got more serious and I felt a little bad.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: