The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oblivion sucks

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: oblivion sucks Reply with quote

look, my brother got an xbox 360 the other day, and bought oblivion. i've been playing it for a while. i've closed several oblivion gates, and i'm good ways into the main quest. i've been doing some guild stuff, and i'm in the dark brotherhood.

i'm playing a black skinned orc who SMASHES things with a HAMMER. he also likes to use major wounding spell because i like it.

BUT. the more and more i play this game, the more i realize how BORING it is, at least compared to morrowind. it's taken a week, but the charm has completely worn off.

1. the setting is lame. LAME. sure, it's pretty. i mean, it looks really nice (if shiny as all fuck). but! the geography in my home state is more varied than this! let's see. there's mountains... and forests... and there's this one place where the grass is more yellow. i could go hiking and get the same effect, and not be attacked by wolves every mile or so. morrowind at least had some really interesting set pieces: volcanoes, giant bugs, cities made out of bone, swamps, deserts, etc etc.

2. you can't kill characters important to the story. i nearly screamed last night when i realized this. i understand that oblivion was made to appeal to a wider range of people, but there's a point where sacrificing freedom to babysit the player is ridiculous. sometimes i desire the ability to just run into a town and start wiping out the inhabitants with my staff of "fuck shit up". matter of fact, I did so last night in chorrol. actually the staff is called Apothesis or something goth like that. quickly though, i found out NO, i couldn't kill these people, i could only "knock them the hell out". lame. LAME. half the fun of morrowind was pumping yourself up, flying to vivec, and killing GOD with one punch.

3. you can't fly.
GHHASH.
this game is too pretty not to be able to fly.

alright there's more stuff that i can't stand about this game but i'm way too DISTRAUGHT to talk about.

i need dead rising like NOW

LJ -- Profile
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xboxification works in mysterious ways.
milky wilkie
milky wilkie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

recounting all the ways morrowind is better than oblivion is a tiring thing.
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you say is true.

But it doesn't change the fact that Morrowind is an unplayable joke.

Don't get me wrong, I love Morrowind, it's just... come on, man. Oblivion is so much more of a joy to play that it makes all the other small things it does wrong just sort of go away.

At least for me, anyway!
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Everything you say is true.

But it doesn't change the fact that Morrowind is an unplayable joke.

Don't get me wrong, I love Morrowind, it's just... come on, man. Oblivion is so much more of a joy to play that it makes all the other small things it does wrong just sort of go away.

At least for me, anyway!

I have to agree with Toups on this one. I've been thinking about how to respond to this post without sounding like too much of an Oblivion fanboy for much too long now, but he pretty much hit the nail on the head, to abuse a cliche. Too bad I don't have a 360 anymore...
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't play Morrowind, but every Elder Scrolls game so far has taken place in a different environment (province). I think they've been putting off making one that occurs in a comparatively normal place because they couldn't technically pull it off until now.

I'm rather certain that another Elder Scrolls game will make it out the door in the next couple of years, and will potentially be more to your liking.

Also, there are swamps, you just haven't found them yet.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
squidlarkin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2006 10:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This has nothing to do with anything, but it's been bugging me since before the game launched and I've been waiting for someone else to mention it. No one ever did.

That thing where it's the fourth game, so they called it OblIVion? Totally stolen from Phantasm.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squidlarkin wrote:
That thing where it's the fourth game, so they called it OblIVion? Totally stolen from Phantasm.
Marketers are pricks.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, Morrowind looks so much cooler than Oblivion it's untrue.

I made a character in Oblivion who looks exactly like the Asian guy in my corner shop. I make him dress mainly in shirt and slacks.

The first thing I did in Oblvion was to steal a horse and tried to ride out to the biggest mountain I could see. Before I could reach it, I bumped into the edge of the game in the middle of some forest somewhere. Lame. These games never let me do the things I want to do.

Since the style, setting, presentation, look and in-game combat don't appeal to me at all, there wasn't much to keep me playing after that.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

squidlarkin wrote:

While this doesn't pre-date Phantasm, there are many references of Oblivion in Morrowind.

I also don't agree with some of these comments, but I will just say that the thing bugging me the most right now in Oblivion is that the level scaling is so transparent that it is pissing me off.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The level scaling is rather agressive. It really pushes you into a situation where you basically have to power level at some points (by power level, I mean plan your skills so that you get 5 point upgrades in three skills). This is particularly true of your battle related skills or your magic related skills. If you're well focused, and don't attempt to just gain as many levels as possible very fast (which you can do, if you're not careful), then it shouldn't be a problem.

My biggest problem with the game is that the fun factor goes down a lot after you've closed the oblivion gates, because all of the most difficult enemies disappear (the most powerful enemies are all natives of the plane of oblivion). After that, without rolling a new character, there's not much point.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, you know what sucks about Oblivion?

It overheats my 360 causing the dirty disc error. This just became much more aparent after getting VGA cables and having it displayed in 1280X1024. I just had to pull out my intercooler again to cool it down. I think I can play again.

Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 5:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd rather wait for The Outsider.
squidlarkin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
(by power level, I mean plan your skills so that you get 5 point upgrades in three skills)

They didn't fix that? Or even tone it down a little? Fuck! That was one of the aspects of Morrowind that struck me as most broken (and that's saying something). I mean, if you're going to go to all the trouble of designing a system where you get better at things by doing them, which is organic and intuitive, why introduce an element that destroys that beauty, forcing the player to analyze his actions and behave counterintuitively? It makes me want to punch a Bethesda employee, or at least speak sternly to one.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

such is the nature of the elders scrolls.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

squidlarkin wrote:
J.Goodwin wrote:
(by power level, I mean plan your skills so that you get 5 point upgrades in three skills)

They didn't fix that? Or even tone it down a little? Fuck! That was one of the aspects of Morrowind that struck me as most broken (and that's saying something). I mean, if you're going to go to all the trouble of designing a system where you get better at things by doing them, which is organic and intuitive, why introduce an element that destroys that beauty, forcing the player to analyze his actions and behave counterintuitively? It makes me want to punch a Bethesda employee, or at least speak sternly to one.
It's toned down, I think.

The problem is that the game itself kind of encourages you to break it. What you SHOULD do, I think, is pretty much just drive straight into quests and either hack shit up or blow things away with magic. People who want to do that are going to set their primary skills to either hacking or magiking because you get bonuses to those skills when you start the game.

That's the mistake, because you're going to use those skills a lot, and when you gain 10 points total in primary skills, you level up. If you want the game to be easy, you improve your useful skills and DON'T level up. If you're leveling up, and not improving your skills and stats by much in the process (only 10 points per level instead of 40 or so), then the game gets very hard at around level 35.

I haven't ever taken one of the packages at character creation, but I assume that the packages are better balanced in terms of not having more than one skill that you're likely to use all the time in the primary skill set. But no one wants to use the packages, because they all figure they're going to cheat the system.

If you're focusing on the main questline though, you'll easily finish the main quest before you get to level 35 though. I'd be surprised if it took more than level 10. There's not any real reason that you can't beat the main quest at level one actually. It would be pretty damn easy though, because all you would be fighting is diseased scamps.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this starting to remind anyone else of the Starcraft article from TGQ?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The problem is that the game itself kind of encourages you to break it.

generally speaking, this is the source of the series appeal.

a position which was argued by a handsome chap at this very magazine recently, btw!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This discussion has me rethinking my purchase. Though I hated the Xbox game. Still I need something to play on my 360 maybe this is it.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:
Still I need something to play on my 360 maybe this is it.

Dumb question, why do you own a 360 then?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:

Table Tennis is quite good, and Ridge Racer 6 is good and cheap.

But yeah, Oblivion is damn good, and you can pretty much stop playing when ever you feel like you have had enough without feeling like you need to finish anything. I like it quite a lot.

DaleNixon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Legal Step wrote:
This discussion has me rethinking my purchase. Though I hated the Xbox game. Still I need something to play on my 360 maybe this is it.

Step I can guarantee that you will love Oblivion. Or your money back!
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleNixon wrote:
Legal Step wrote:

Step I can guarantee that you will love Oblivion. Or your money back!

psssst

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Legal Step wrote:

Table Tennis is quite good, and Ridge Racer 6 is good and cheap.

But yeah, Oblivion is damn good, and you can pretty much stop playing when ever you feel like you have had enough without feeling like you need to finish anything. I like it quite a lot.
Ridge Racer didn't get a fair shake. I've never been a huge fan of the series, but it's a perfectly serviceable replacement for Daytona USA until SEGA figures out which end of itself is the ass and which is the mouth.

And there is just an absolute party boat of content on that disc too. I liked it.

I like how in Oblivion, if you check someone's status on Xbox.com and they're playing, you can see their level and current hitpoints.
ebyss

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:08 am    Post subject: Oblivion does indeed suck Reply with quote

I had high hopes for Oblivion on the 360, haivng previously been immersed in Morrowind. Its freedom to roam, get into to trouble, uncover (well, find using an FAQ) excellent magical weapons and, yes, the ability to fly: all this and more added up to a great game.

Oblivion starts promisingly enough: the lush visuals made me think "oooo, next-gen Morrowind is here!".

It didn't take too long before it started to grate on me.

The quests are far too generic: speak to person A. Go to location B to retrieve object or kill person C. Return to person A. Zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I only came across a couple of notable exceptions, the likes of "A Brush with Death" and the quest where y'all get naked as the result of a bacchanalian god's cheeky spell (can't remember the quest name). The vast majority is stick to the formula/repeat. Ad nauseum.

The lush environment? Soon marred by the majority of quest action taking place in indeti-kit caves/ruins/dungeons. Graphical lovely, variety horribly.

And where were the excellent magical weapons to rival the likes of Skull Crusher in the previous outing?

Perhaps the most chilling indictment for the future of current and next-gen games comes in answer to the last point: I understand that you can get a one-kill magical weapon, the Mehrunes Dagger (sp?). But here's the kicker: it's not in-game. You can only get this by paying for and downloading additional content via Live.

The grooviest elements of Morrowind, for me, came as standard. Not so with Oblivion.

I hope that this is not the way of things to come. Average games released, with the content to make it a good or great game drip-fed to gamers through additional downloads, a compulsory subscription to Live and considerable extra expense. In the UK we're already paying c£50 per disc, so shouldn't we expect more as standard?

I know that for a long time, PC gamers have been benefitting from downloadable patches, expansions, etc, but I have always been more a consoler and I find the Oblivion effect rather disconcerting...
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, after I hit the 35 hour point in the game it became much more aparent that a lot of the things that I enjoyed greatly about Morrowind were missing in Oblivion. I am having a hard time getting back into it after taking a break a month ago. It feels like a more limited and watered down (yet prettier) Morrowind.

The "story" (main plot) is far more compelling than Morrowind's was though.

ebyss

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stumbled across your Morrowind poem on your blog: moving stuff!

I had the exact same experience with the GotY edition... Damn those clever marketing people, dangling their shiny, extra-content baubles before us!

On a separate matter (and at the risk of starting a new post), I wanted to order some back issues of the print version of Gamer's Quarter.

I'm about to order 5, 6 and 7, but is there any chance of any of the earlier copies knocking about..?

It's a great publication, by the way. I'm most chuffed that I stumbled across it. I'm spreading the word.

If you need any proofing support, let me know. I'd gladly help out if you need a hand.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: