The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Wii's a what?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sing along with the common people
sing along and it might just get you through
laugh along with the common people
laugh along even though they're laughing at you
and the stupid things that you do
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Meanings 3 and 4 aren't commonly used, because it can mean that and still connotate the other meanings. Which is awful.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Tablesaw"]
DonMarco wrote:

DonMarco wrote:
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
That Metroid Prime game using the controller as a gun didn't look hokey to me. Looked pretty bad ass. And using it to slash in Zelda or catch fish didn't seem to hokey either.

About the 5,000th time you attack anything in Zelda we'll see if you still think that way.

Yes, we will. And, in fact, he may still feel that way. Or he may like it more. What's your point?

I better start my chin reps, and bicep curls so I'll be ready for those 2 hour long swinging battles with Ganon . . .
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys if all the wiimote amounts to is a virtual sword then I'm gonna be really disappointed when I buy my retro box and it comes with all that free squandered potential.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tablesaw wrote:
DonMarco wrote:
That Metroid Prime game using the controller as a gun didn't look hokey to me. Looked pretty bad ass. And using it to slash in Zelda or catch fish didn't seem to hokey either.

About the 5,000th time you attack anything in Zelda we'll see if you still think that way.

Yes, we will. And, in fact, he may still feel that way. Or he may like it more. What's your point?

I better start my chin reps, and bicep curls so I'll be ready for those 2 hour long swinging battles with Ganon . . .

SuperWes wrote:
Protip: Zelda doesn't allow you to slash with the controller. The closest you can get is wiggling the nunchuk to do a spin attack.

AHEM!!!

When you get tired of swinging your arms around you can buy a few books and learn how to read.

-Wes
Hates your favorite videogame
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2006 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

guys I hear that in twilight princess you can use the remote like it was a sword

but I'm worried my arm might get tired Sad
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 1:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The enemies in Zelda are just there to give you something to do in between exploration and puzzle-solving

I'd say that traditionally, anyway -- and I realize this hasn't been true since... 1989 or whenever -- their real role is kind of the same as the monsters in Phantasy Star or Dragon's Quest: to reel in the player, and provide an organic barrier. Something the player always gets the feeling he could bypass if he were just good or strong or brave enough -- yet which provides just enough risk to keep people walled in, and generally on-target. An emotional wall rather than an invisible, physical one.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
When you get tired of swinging your arms around you can buy a few books and learn how to read.

Swinging your arms around is so much more fun though ;p.

I'm thinking that, since Zelda and Metroid seem to not use the Wiimote to it's full potential, there are going to be a lot of people angry at Nintendo when the Wii launches and the console might get some bad press that could stop a lot of people from buying one for awhile.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
I'm thinking that, since Zelda and Metroid seem to not use the Wiimote to it's full potential

Hold on there! I didn't say that. The games seemed to use the Wiimote just fine. In Zelda you use the controller to aim with a lot of your subweapons, and the fishing is totally tied to the controller. Metroid also uses it well, but it just has a few buttons switched to make it work better and feel more like a game controller instead of a light gun. The majority of the gameplay is going to be lower impact, for some of the reasons Don Marco so elegantly stated in his "Madden suxxors, my wrist hurts" example.

The thing about Metroid and Zelda is that they're 'games' first and 'experiences' second. It's the "gimmicky" Wii games that are going to be the other way around, and I think there's room for both types.

-Wes

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
The enemies in Zelda are just there to give you something to do in between exploration and puzzle-solving

I'd say that traditionally, anyway -- and I realize this hasn't been true since... 1989 or whenever -- their real role is kind of the same as the monsters in Phantasy Star or Dragon's Quest: to reel in the player, and provide an organic barrier. Something the player always gets the feeling he could bypass if he were just good or strong or brave enough -- yet which provides just enough risk to keep people walled in, and generally on-target. An emotional wall rather than an invisible, physical one.
In PS, though, you could come up upon enemies that would just nuke you. Particularly at the start of the game. I don't think I've seen a game since that required such a conservative attitude towards adventuring so early in the game.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
SJ

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
guys I hear that in twilight princess you can use the remote like it was a sword

but I'm worried my arm might get tired Sad

That's not true. SuperWes says that Link will use nunchaku instead of a sword in the Wii version, and your arms will instead be tired from slingin' chucks against octorocks and shit.
aderack

PostPosted: Sun Aug 06, 2006 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J.Goodwin wrote:
In PS, though, you could come up upon enemies that would just nuke you. Particularly at the start of the game. I don't think I've seen a game since that required such a conservative attitude towards adventuring so early in the game.

I was thinking more of the second game, where that isn't so much the case. It's just... a barrier. And generally a well-arranged one. The first game could have been balanced a little more, yeah. About a quarter of the game time is invested with a hundred yards of home. Then once you're powerful enough to go anywhere, nothing will stop you.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: