The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Game/music interaction

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alc

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Game/music interaction Reply with quote

After some recommendations for games where the player is literally and properly involved in making music or rhythm. Examples: Rez, Electroplankton, ?
Not examples: DDR, Vib Ribbon, uh, Quake.

I'm trying to keep away from typical music game "follow this string of commands in the right rhythm" style of games, so although Parappa may not make noises unless you press buttons, it's not really what I'm after. The alternatives are uncommon.

Also any "games" like Baby Universe, where you play around with waveforms or similar.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading a review for one of the old Fifas in an old Gamefan where the writer talked pretty much exclusively about the sound effects made when navigating the menus. He was all about how music could be made by just pressing down up or left and right.

I can't remember what he rated the game itself, but apparently the review itself was interesting enough for me to remember today. Odd!

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My main squeeze Meteos fits in here pretty well, too. On most of the planets, little musical themes take the place of and/or augment the blast-off sound effects. The Suburbion noises are particularly awesome.

And I think so does Lumines, but I haven't actually played it.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Game/music interaction Reply with quote

Alc wrote:
I'm trying to keep away from typical music game "follow this string of commands in the right rhythm" style of games

I know it skirts the edges of this characterization, but while Technic Beat is a 'press the button in time with the music' game, many of the tracks' layers are only played if you complete the button sequences successfully. Plus you can vary the pitch and tone of the music by messing with the shoulder buttons. So.

It's by far my favorite example of the genre. And the Namco tunes don't hurt, either.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say not including DDR, but the other bemani games IIDX and Pop'n Music both involve playing the song through hitting the keys. When you press a button on the controller, it plays a sample from the song, and the only way to truly "hear" the full song is to play the song perfectly.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coloris!
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really really really wanted to like Technic Beat. Unfortunately the game is fucking awkward and unsatisfying despite the good presentation and music. Kind of a shame.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I remember reading a review for one of the old Fifas in an old Gamefan where the writer talked pretty much exclusively about the sound effects made when navigating the menus. He was all about how music could be made by just pressing down up or left and right.

I've actually done this before with a few different games (when I was younger, I might add), but I had totally forgotten about it until I read this thread. The human mind can be used in interesting ways when one is bored...
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'd be wrong to discount Parappa + Um Jammer Lammy. They give you serious freedom in how you can perform the music. You can't score highly without freestyling. Parappa 2's versus mode makes this work particularly well. You can't possibly claim that that's less musically interactive than Rez, which merely delays sound effects so that they occur on the beat.

Low-hanging fruit: SimTunes.

Also, maybe Tunin' Glue? I never figured out the little Mac demo, though.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Alc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not discounting them as games,* I'm just trying to find out about other titles that don't follow the same "repeat after me" gameplay, be it volleys of commands like Parappa or a constant stream like the various bemani games.

* actually I find Parappa and Um Jammer Lammy both really random and therefore quite frustrating. They don't feel fair - I press the right buttons at the right time and they tell me I'm rappin awful or whatever, and at other times I blatantly mess up and I get given a raise. I really wanted to like them, too, stylistically they're really interesting and the music is weird enough to keep my attention. I've stuck hours into them now though, and I still don't understand their process, so I don't know what to think, really.

Anyway I just checked out a demo of SimTunes and it's pretty special, so thanks for that.

SuperWes wrote:
I'm always doing that when nobody's around. Most menus aren't flexible enough to get more than few seconds in tune/time, but sometimes you get lucky.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coloris.

also otocky.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also Soundvoyager.

Actually, most of the games in the Bit Generations series feature some kind of sound interaction. Human League times the music to your ping-ponging. Even Dotstream lets you make beats out of the menus when you're selecting a race.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: