The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Pssst. I'll let you watch my ad for $20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Pssst. I'll let you watch my ad for $20 Reply with quote

I haven't seen this discussed anywhere really, but did you guys realize that EA is doing a Pay-Per-View program about John Madden 2007?

these guys wrote:
EA and ESPN has teamed up for a first in video game history. A special pay-per-view event will be available starting August 4th at 9pm EST titled, “Inside Madden NFL 07.” Hardcore Madden fans will get an inside look at what it took to make the highly anticipated title coming out for all next-gen platforms (Xbox 360, PS3, Wii) 18 days before it’s official launch on August 22nd.

Gamers willing to fork over $19.95 for the hour long special will be on a “guided tour through new changes and advances in all aspects of the game.” This also includes the “exclusive release of player ratings and tips from top Madden gamers and behind-the-scenes details about the making of the next-generation Madden NFL games.”

Also part of the show is a play test conducted in Orlando at EA Tiburon’s studio by some of the best in the game. The lucky players included:
- Dwayne "D-Train Harrison"
(winner of the 2002 Madden Challenge)
- Jarvis Thomas
(winner of the 2005 Madden Challenge)
- Justin Chow
(Washington DC regional winner of the 2005 Madden Challenge)
- Will Kinsler
(co-owner of MaddenNation.com, and writer for gaming strategy guides and EA Sports)
- Rod "Reality" Winn
(a former competitor on ESPN's Madden Nation)

This whole thing just strikes me as completely strange. It's the sort of thing that just doesn't happen with other entertainment mediums and with other companies. I've never understood the appeal of pay-per-views in the first place, but pay-per-views that are blatant advertisements strikes me as extremely odd. What type of people would actually pay for this? Is it possible that EA meant for this to broadcast on ESPN, but it was too focused on a specific non-broad audience for the channel to air it? Wouldn't it have been good as a pre-order bonus disc? There are so many other methods of distribution for something like this that I just don't get it.

Do you guys like any game well enough to buy a $20 pay-per-view sneak peek of its sequel?

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
It's the sort of thing that just doesn't happen with other entertainment mediums and with other companies.

i'd say it's roughly analagous with listening parties for record releases. mostly vip and journos, but fans can often get in with cover charges, drink minimums, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The title of this thread really reminds me of Ron Jeremy on Chappelle's Show.
Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: Pssst. I'll let you watch my ad for $20 Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Is it possible that EA meant for this to broadcast on ESPN, but it was too focused on a specific non-broad audience for the channel to air it? -Wes

This would be my guess.

I hope this isn't a trend.

LJ -- Profile
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year around E3 there was a pay-per-view hypefest for all the big-name games. It was free though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: