The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Podcast is live!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Podcast is live! Reply with quote

Yup. Our first Podcast is now up on the internets. Find it on the front page. E-mails will go out later to "officially" announce it, so consider this a heads up for forum members. Hope you like it!

-Wes

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I wasn't expecting it to last an hour!" - PurpleChair, aged 21
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thoughts on the podcast later -- I'm still a little stunned that I managed to find life (and two different forms of it) on the second planet that I landed on.

Is there going to be some sort of collective TGQ thing were we can post screenshots?
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

post screenshots!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright!

The planet in question is Pelenor's Glacier in the Lyonesse system. I can provide coordinates if people want.

After landing on the border of a large white area (which I figured to be a glacier), I got out of the landing craft and wandered around. One thing that you don't get from the pictures is that this planet has upper-atmosphere lightning or something of that nature that causes everything to flash brighter intermittently.

Because of this, I was already looking at the sky to see if I could see bolts or something like that. Instead, I saw a white object moving toward me. I was so startled by this that it passed overhead before I could react. However, I did turn around and get a shot of it as it disappeared over a nearby hill:

At first I wondered if it was a spacecraft or a meteor or something like that. As it flew, it discernably changed direction, meaning that it was either a spacecraft or something alive. Although it was hard to tell due to perspective issues, the size would seem to indicate some sort of flying animal.

Excited, I ascended a nearby peak in order to take a look at my surroundings and to see if there were any landmarks nearby. Seeing what I believed to be a glacier not far from where I landed, only to spot another white dot in front of a hill not far from where I was. Moving quickly, I tried to get closer to get a better look at whatever it was before it flew away.

Instead I was startled to find out that this was not whatever flyer I had seen before, it was instead some sort of land-based animal.

As you can see by the picture, by the time I got near the animal, it had actually gone around me and was now between myself and the ship. It preambulated around in a manner not unlike a kangaroo, using its legs to propel itself in powerful hopping motions through the air.

After following it around for a few minutes, I saw another dot appear on a ridge behind it.

Leaving my original "hopper" (as I had come to know him) behind, I started up the ridge and soon found that it was another hopper. Whether there was some relationship between the two animals, I was unable to discern, as they never came close to each other, each hopping around the perimeter of the valley and eventually disappearing over separate horizons.

Stimulated by my discovery, I started back toward the landing craft, getting fairly close before realizing that a flyer, whether the same one or another animal, was in the area. After some aborted attempts to capture an image of it, I got lucky and snapped a picture of both it and a hopper that had wandered close to my landing craft, hopefully providing evidence that these were in fact two separate organisms, even if we have far more information about the land-based one.

After hearing stories about the desolation of the overall universe, it was an uplifting experience to see with mine own eyes that we are not alone in these squares, er, stars.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
The planet in question is Pelenor's Glacier in the Lyonesse system. I can provide coordinates if people want.

too late!

(they're on the photos.)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I figured that out right as I posted.

I also didn't put up the radiation shield when I took the pictures. I'm still parked at the planet, so I may go back down and see if that improves matters.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't realize how much I could just enjoy listening to a Pod Cast. My froth for the pod cast of Half Life 2 knows no bounds. Excellent stuff.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have downloaded it, but due to the late hour (and its apparent size!) I regret I can't listen to it tonight. It ought to keep me occupied on the walk to work tomorrow, however! I can't wait, this sounds quite fun.
Toto
4th Man
4th Man

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, you need to have a little bit more of a laugh while doing this. Some of you guys start laughing; go with it. It is very IC/GQish that you came up with the lonely game thing, lighten up.
Also we need to get to know the people behind the GQ. I think it would be good to talk a bit amongst yourselves before starting, nice way to establish who everyone is and so forth. Also more than one topic if you get stuck, an hour is a lot, sometimes you guys run out of stuff to say.
Also get people from other countries. You guys know Cycle, get him, he knows what he's on about AND he's got an Aussie accent. The whole International gamer thing. A new guest every week maybe?
It's a good idea to do Half-Life 2 next. A well-known game is a good move.
Sorry if my opinions were too forward guys, but it was good. It could be GREAT.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Internet-based gender assumptions are a tricky beast. Dessgeega, I had been convinced that you were a woman. No one else, however, undermined my expectations.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting out of the immediate area NOW.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
Internet-based gender assumptions are a tricky beast. Dessgeega, I had been convinced that you were a woman.

Shit, you too?

Disturbing, wasn't it.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't say I didn't warn you.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade, hold me.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i guess this would be a good time to explain (for those who aren't aware) that i am mtf.

cycle is a swell fellow and i will try to coerce him into joining us in a future podcast.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys why is no-one talking about captain blood

Quote:
Great Podcast!

You had trouble thinking of games to compare Noctis to : don't tell me you've never played Elite, Frontier, or Captain Blood?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frontier:_Elite_II

Frontier was my favorite game when I was a kid, and Noctis reminded me of it immediately. Like Noctis, Frontier is based around an enormous working model of a universe. It offers many of the same satisfactions, too- I used to love just landing on a planet and watching the sun rise and set.

It's a lot more typically game-like in how it's mainly based around the accumulation of wealth and status through missions, trading and combat, although how you choose to play is really up to you. The model of the universe is actually more advaned than Noctis in some respects- for example the planets aren't just bump-mapped spheres, you can head to an icy-looking pole on a green world and it actually will be an icy pole when you come to land on it. Furthermore the light on the planet will change while you're on it. Unlike Noctis, the game engine makes no distinction between off-world and on world- it's all the same giant model of the universe, if that makes sense.

I guess Frontier is a very different take on the same concept. It's anything but lonely, since you can talk to other pilots you meet in space, accept missions and do jobs for people when you dock- even hire crew if you owned one of the bigger ships. The two games still have a interestingly large amount in common, though. It too was pretty much all programmed by one person, for example. I didn't get so much into Noctis because the game engine seemed like too much of a step backwards from how I remember Frontier, but I could see there was potential for an excellent game in there.

So there's an Atari ST game called Captain Blood which is very similar to Noctis in tone and spirit. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captain_Blood_%28video_game%29 I remember playing the ZX Spectrum version with my father, journeying to unknown planets, flying down empty valleys in our spaceship, then nuking the planets from orbit when we realised there was nothing there. To give you an idea of how empty and lonely it is, we didn't find any of the aliens that wikipedia article mentions. We just assumed they weren't in our version of the game. And how's this for a sense of loneliness; all the time you're playing, your character is dying from a wasting disease. His hands start getting visibly shakier as time goes on. Talk about bleak.

Hey look, here's an ST emulator with a Captain Blood disc image packed in http://www.maudevintage.com/jamesharvey/files/Steem.zip
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've always been kind of intrigued by Captain Blood, though I used to confuse it with Captain Goodnight.

I tried to play it on my Apple IIgs once, but I think my copy was broken or something because I couldn't even figure out how to move the damn cursor, let alone begin getting confused by the massive icon-based language. Wikipedia says that the Atari ST version is the canonical one, but I gave my Atari ST to dessgeega, so I guess it's emulation for me. I can't say no to games designed by the French!

I have an sudden urge to start a thread about generic Apple II / C64-era space sims. Inscrutable menus, random starfields, erie sound effects, and aching, impersonal loneliness used to be pretty much par for the course, you whippersnappers. Though, probably not many here share my memories of playing a Broderbund's Galactic Trader, which was basically the direct precursor to Dopewars.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
I have an sudden urge to start a thread about generic Apple II / C64-era space sims. Inscrutable menus, random starfields, erie sound effects, and aching, impersonal loneliness used to be pretty much par for the course, you whippersnappers.

Rescue on Fractalus is a good example of this. That's a fun game to play multiplayer, by the way. My uni roomates had an amazing system for this game- something like two people on the keyboards performing duties such as raising and lowering the shields, one on the joystick (the 'pilot') and one looking at the radar reading out the altitude (the 'navigator'). We could pretend we were the real crew of a windowless spaceship, with only our primitive instruments to guide us. Kept us busy on those cold winter nights!

Here's the
player's guide for Captain blood by the way. You might find you need it. Forgot to mention- the rrom is in the 'ST hard drive C' folder. Just dragging it into the ST os and pressing play seems to work.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i need to play captain blood some more.

i always thought the abstract language was the most clever thing the game did, though there are a few. incidentally, starflight.
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked the podcast. I lost track of which voice belonged to who, but that should improve with future episodes. I think doing one a month is a bit sparse, but then you are a quarterly publication so maybe I should be grateful?

Also I agree with the idea of talking points, as it was a bit annoying when someone would start a thread, talk for five minutes, lose his or her train of thought and then trail off into utter confusion.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for clearing that up, Dess, but there's some mystery to you yet. Like, is Ancil Anthropy your real name or one you chose for yourself? Either way, it's badass.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is an assumed name, and my current legal name. i am supposedly pretty mysterious though.

anyway, yeah, the discussion could have been much tighter. i'm still pretty embarassed about the part where i slip up and lose my train of thought and skid to a dead halt.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
anyway, yeah, the discussion could have been much tighter. i'm still pretty embarassed about the part where i slip up and lose my train of thought and skid to a dead halt.

It happens to everyone. I know the experience. This is in no way on the same level, but I was in Driver's Ed class giving my final presentation and I looked down at the notes I took to use for my speech and I had made a stupid joke specifically for myself on my notecards that was meant to remind me of what to talk about. I looked down at that joke during my speech and I bused out laughing. I was laughing so hard that everyone else in class started laughing at me, and that in turn made me continue to laugh, which went on for literally a few minutes. When I finally calmed down I continued my presentation through tears of laughter.

It's one of the more embarassing things that's ever happened to me.

So yeah, I'm looking forward to hopefully being on the next podcast. Just gotta finish up the game itself first!

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycats!

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TGQ is now in their links - or has it always been?
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Copycats!

-Wes

That was just about the most overblown, fruity, drenched in post-modern, terrifying load of flowery nothingness I have ever (admittedly) skimmed through.

Yours sincerely,
Brigadier-General Geoffrey-Smith (Mrs.)

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dowloading this now -- slowly, on dialup.

i haven't been around here in months, so apologies if i'm just regurgitating stuff i should have seen before, but: i tried playing this a while ago and couldn't get into it. the controls were near uncontrollable and i got motion sickness something fierce -- the kind i haven't had since wolfenstein 3d 15 years ago or whenever that was (too long ago!). maybe i should give it another shot (after listening to the podcast) but i'm more interested in the new version that's in the works.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 6:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the escapist
just about the most overblown, fruity, drenched in post-modern, terrifying load of flowery nothingness I have ever (admittedly) skimmed through

i couldn't resist, okay. all of their material comes from me anyway at this point.

and yeah, noctis is a lot of work - even just navigating the menus can be hard to do at first - but the work makes it all the more worth it.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2006 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I'm downloading the game now! The podcast makes this sound like something I'd really like to dig into.

oh, important: can this be run windowed? That would help immensely with the nausea.
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Regarding The Escapist, I find that very harsh. I love The Escapist. They're a great publication, alongside TGQ. We should consider them allies in a guerilla war, not... what it is that was just said.

Sure, some of their articles are a bit flowery, but a lot of their stuff is solid, hard hitting, and just plain awesome.
kimkallstrom1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

copycats? wannabes? opinionated and long-winded, that's fer sure.

cut the fluff i just want the juicy stuff.
SJ

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kimkallstrom1 wrote:
wannabes? opinionated and long-winded, that's fer sure.

cut the fluff i just want the juicy stuff.

Many people would say the same about TGQ. They just want their 7.1/10!
purplechair

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2006 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just finished HL2.

You've now got a green light for the podcast.
nICO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. I didn't see what was so bad about that Escapist article. Hell, I think it could have been awesome.

If only the author didn't assume complete ignorance on the part of his audience and boringly lecture about topics far too broad and ambitious to be covered in a such short space. In other words, he should have trashed the entire "Enlightenment, Romanticism and the March of History" section and rewrote the rest of his essay assuming an audience already possessing the scant, basic information he gave in that section.

He didn't even use any jargon or anything. Any mildly intelligent reader could have picked up what he was trying to say without all the History of Thought. That whole section is part of why I don't read The Escapist regularly. For some reason I feel that stupidly ambitious and boringly serious diversions often detract from the what makes the articles good. Is it just that they pay, so the writers need to beef up the word count?

The meat of it was pretty good though. It would fit perfect in TGQ with a bit of a rewrite.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nICO wrote:
Is it just that they pay, so the writers need to beef up the word count?

yeah, it's basically that they pay by the word.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Szczepaniak wrote:
Regarding The Escapist, I find that very harsh. I love The Escapist. They're a great publication, alongside TGQ. We should consider them allies in a guerilla war, not... what it is that was just said.

Sure, some of their articles are a bit flowery, but a lot of their stuff is solid, hard hitting, and just plain awesome.

In my defence, I agree 100% with everything you just said - I find most of The Escapist stuff incredibly enjoyable and a pleasure to read, but that article was, to my mind, far, far, far too flowery and obtuse to be enjoyable, let alone readable.

So, yeah, sorry to seem harsh, but that article took games-as-art to disturbing new places.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.gamerswithjobs.com/node/17541

This is a less-flowery examination of Noctis by the author of the Escapist piece.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second podcast is now live! Check it out!!!!

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wooo!!!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy me sounding like a deformed robot! Anyways, this was fun. I do hope people enjoy it, even if it sounds like I am shouting over everyone else.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Ketch

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to see some analysis of Shadow of Destiny (ie. Shadow of Memories), or Gregory Horror Show. The former one having multiple endings but it still seems to have an overarching theme. And the latter is part comedic, part sinister and part really annoying in places. It would be cool to try and see what each character suggests, or what Gregory House is? although you might need to watch the Japanese TV series to get further insights into it.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ketch wrote:
I'd like to see some analysis of Shadow of Destiny (ie. Shadow of Memories), or Gregory Horror Show.

I wish we could do Gregory Horror Show, but it never came out in the US. If you buy me a copy and send it to me I'll pay you for it! Same goes for Michigan.

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I totally want the UK release of Michigan.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Ketch hooks us all up we could do Michigan next! C'mon Ketch! Live in the UK!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just have to ask, you know.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to ask!

But I have one question before asking. Do you know if either of these games have an NTSC option? That could really put a damper on things. Word on the street is that Michigan does, but I'm not so sure about Gregory Horror Show.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never seen Michigan

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B000EYEI3M/026-3738044-1102047?v=glance&n=300703&s=gateway&v=glance

I'd probably buy it if I did, even though it has terrible reviews on Metacritic.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wes, you are thinking of a 60hz option, which both do if I was informed properly.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Wes, you are thinking of a 60hz option, which both do if I was informed properly.

That's why I asked for an NTSC Option. Because it means the same fucking thing (ooooooh, burn Shaper!)

But yeah, if what Matt says is true, and well, maybe even if it isn't, I'm interested in both! Purplechair name your price and hook me up with your Paypal or just have me pick up some US games to send you in exchange. Lets rock this.

Note: I could have done this through PM, but since everything else was out in the open I figured what the hey.

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: