The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

So anyway, I was playing Oblivion last night...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:21 am    Post subject: So anyway, I was playing Oblivion last night... Reply with quote

I had decided, foolishly I might think, to preorder Oblivion (Morrowind 2, Daggerfall 3, or The Elder Scrolls IV) about a month ago. Well, it came in a day early! I was -for the first time in what seems like years- actually excited to hear about the release of a video game. I got the special Collector's Edition with a Real Pewter Septim (that is, a coin) and 112 page Pocket Guide to the Empire. The Pocket guide is really quite nice, though the illustrations are underwhelming. The whole package has that charming "RPG of Olde" flavour to it. I don't consider myself a collecter, and usually spending more than $70 (Canadian) on anything makes my gut tighten, but this is really a nice purchase.

Not sure I'll talk too much about the game yet, since I doubt anyone else has played it. In general it seems like a tighter, prettier (although all the beast races are ugly as sin now, unfortunately), and smaller version of Morrowind. The landscape, from the small bits I've seen of it walking around the capital city, is very lush and welcoming. This is totally unlike the dreary, opressive barrens of Morrowind (which honestly, I miss a little) but equally valid. The game inspires an overwhelming desire in me to stroll.

Oh, and I almost forgot. My character is a Redguard Bard. He likes his sword and wears a silly looking fur hat.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My wife was extremely excited to play this game for a while. I'd love to hear of any interesting stories you may have about this.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know some really really interesting things about this game. I am waiting to get approvail to make them publicly known now that the game is out.

And... damnit. I really want to play this game, but know I won't be able to for a while.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The NPCs have random conversations while wandering about. Some times these are pretty amusing, just out of how stilted they are. One is below (paraphrased):

"Hello."
"Stonewall shields has the best selection of shields."
"Tell me about it."
(long pause)
"Farewell."
"Be seeing you."

Also, the mudcrabs in Cyrodil are tough. It was embarassing to hunt a wolf and then shortly after be taken down by a couple of crabs on the beach. You can block them though, which is great. I like the idea of seeing this adventuring warrior kind of leaning down to put his shield in front of a crab's claws. You can also block rats in mid-lunge. They just sort of bounce off.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 21, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i should have my copy tonight. twas a gift from the wif fer our anniversary. (she got earrings, and i got oblivion. frankly, that's a damn great trade.) assuming amazon didn't fuck me, that is.

!NADA SPOILEROS POR FAVOR!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(08:55:07) DaleNixon: i played oblivion for 13 hours straight yesterday :o
(09:00:16) Sunfall[werk]: That's, uh.
(09:00:18) Sunfall[werk]: Something.
(09:00:28) DaleNixon: to be proud of?
(09:00:30) DaleNixon: Or IS IT?
(09:01:29) Sunfall[werk]: I would say "no" :p
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sunfallwerk is WRONG!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having a serious problem with my game freezing. I'm around 70 hours in now and every time a section or saved game loads the game nearly freezes. Up until a few hours back (of game time) I had it freeze only once or twice. My friend remarked that I was lucky since he was having problems progressing because his kept locking up on him. It turns out that he had played quite a bit more than me, and when I hit around the hour mark when problems started happening to him they happened to me. I beat the game, I just want to beat every side quest now, but I don't like going back into it because it gets annoying having it flake out so much.

Beettthheeesssddaaaaa!!!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this on the 360? Have you downloaded all the patches? Have you also (if it is the 360) tried clearing the cache?

I am just going off of Xbox morrowind similar problems.

Also, I started playing this last night. I am an Argonian Assassin/Theif. I am having a lot of fun even though I am only about 3 hours in. I can see this sucking a lot of time out of me, but I am really glad that I finally have it.

DaleNixon

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm going to invest in one of those Nyko Intercoolers to see if it solves my freezing problems. I have a feeling the problem is mostly software though.

The last time a console had hard freezing problems and forced me to buy third party cooling I was playing Grand Theft Auto on a Playstation 1.

Edit: WOW
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DaleNixon wrote:
Edit: WOW

Wow nothing, this is whoa.

ryan

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Is this on the 360? Have you downloaded all the patches? Have you also (if it is the 360) tried clearing the cache?

Ah, crap. It's the 360 version, so this is probably it. I still need to finish a few main tasks (fighters guild and mages guild), so I'll be giving it to the ol' evil eye while trying this.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can just get on my soapbox for a moment... I borrowed Oblivion off my friend recently, installed it, played it for four hours, uninstalled it and gave it back. I couldn't get into it, at all. I appreciated greatly the graphics, the seeming open-endedness of the landscape and Patrick Stewart drawling directly into my earphones, but... the whole game was so, so.. awkward.

Third person combat is nearly impossible. And maybe it's just me, but I can NOT play an RPG in first person. However, since there's no targeting cursor in Oblivion when you're no in first person, this dilemma is neatly solved for me. Melee combat makes no sense and feels clumsy. Sometimes you block, sometimes you don't. It felt really disjointed.

Also, it's far too hard to pick up the things you want to pick up, like chests, and too easy to pick up things you don't want to pick up, like, say, other people's things. To open a chest, I had to bend down, aim at the chest, THEN the open dialog would appear. To steal someone's pen I had to hit space bar reflexively. No dialog came up saying "This isn't yours, are you sure?" - my only indication was when fatso the merchant had a heart attack and the city guards violated me faster than I could say worst interface ever.

Also, what's with the interface - so painfully, painfully old school with its "ye olde" script and its stupid parchment. And the jumping! Oh man. Worst looking jumping, ever. Horses don't steer properly and travelling everywhere seems to take ages. Every single NPC looks like they were stung in the face by bees and then hit by a car on the way home. Of course you can only find this out if the camera happens to zoom out enough, because as far as Oblivion is concerned "ultra-close-up-on-the-eyes" is the optimum conversation camera angle.

Anyway, yeah. Sorry. Bad memories. I actively disliked the game. I think it may be one of those games you have to want to like before you can actually get into it. And I just could not do it.

True story.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yer first elder scrolls game?

Quote:
And maybe it's just me, but I can NOT play an RPG in first person

why not?

Quote:
Sometimes you block, sometimes you don't.

but you block using the right mouse button. it's not like morrowind was.

in closing: to each their own, god bless new york.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Dad has this on his 360. I played it for about thirty minutes and I didn't get out of the first dungeon. It was boring-looking, though. And no fun to play. I take it it comes into its own once you're out and about roaming the landscape. I hope so, since I'm going to be living with my Dad soon and the only other games there are Call of Duty 2 and FIFA and Vin Diesel's Hardcore Underground (I think that's the title).
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only game Vinnie is in is a pretty badass one. It's an original Xbox title though.

I can see why some people wouldn't like Oblivion, but as a swordmage I had a great time. I really got into the rhythm of combat, blocking and shoving enemies back, following through with a few swipes or a a knockdown blow. All you really need is feather and invisible though. With those two you're pretty much gold.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
yer first elder scrolls game?

Da, 'twas. Fortunately it doesn't assume to heavy a level of prior knowledge of Elder Scrolls, so I didn't have a problem with that.

dhex wrote:
why not?

Why not? Because it's so... I dunno. Odd. I much prefer to be able to see all of my character when I'm playing an RPG, it feels... wrong otherwise. Obviously a personal preference, to be sure, but it's practically canon for a reason, I think. And it makes jumping puzzles a bitch. And melee combat feels so wrong in first person. Bleugh. Works fine for fireballs and arrows and other such ranged malarkey, but... yep.

dhex wrote:
but you block using the right mouse button. it's not like morrowind was.

I've got no idea how Morrowind was - what I meant was that blocking, and combat in general, seems to be a fairly inexact science. It took me like five whole minutes to bring down a goblin chieftain because he seemed to have this magical ability to block and attack at the same time. And since you can't actually target-lock your attacks, you sort of have to swing-like-a-madman until you get the hang of it. I got a very strong impression Oblivion was trying to encourage players towards ranged, first-person combat. I dunno.

dhex wrote:
in closing: to each their own, god bless new york.

Amen.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah, fps skills probably help quite a bit with oblivion. i play mostly fps games so i don't find jumping and the like to be an issue. third person is probably best for jumping, though there's not a whole lof ot that to be necessarily found in the game.

it's too bad they removed climbing.

the combat is, believe it or not, vastly improved over earlier installments. some of the missing is a function of your character's skill levels as well, which can be annoying at first.

and sneak is your friend.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dark Messiah of Might and Magic looks promising for a hoarde of reasons, but I most definitely hope that the one thing it gets rights is first person melee combat.

From the gameplay trailers, they seem to be on the right track.

Either way, first person view is best for everything, if only for the immersion factor.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:
Third person combat is nearly impossible.

Yes!

Quote:
And maybe it's just me, but I can NOT play an RPG in first person.

I consider it an adventure game, so perhaps yes again.

Quote:
However, since there's no targeting cursor in Oblivion when you're no in first person, this dilemma is neatly solved for me. Melee combat makes no sense and feels clumsy. Sometimes you block, sometimes you don't. It felt really disjointed.

Huh? Perhaps this is an eXs Box exclusive feature, but there is always a cursor. Blocking cannot be done while attacking, and you can't start to block while you are being attacked, or after getting knocked back. I am still getting the hang of it myself, but sheild+dagger is the best option for poking and blocking it seems.

Quote:
Also, it's far too hard to pick up the things you want to pick up, like chests, and too easy to pick up things you don't want to pick up, like, say, other people's things. To open a chest, I had to bend down, aim at the chest, THEN the open dialog would appear. To steal someone's pen I had to hit space bar reflexively. No dialog came up saying "This isn't yours, are you sure?" - my only indication was when fatso the merchant had a heart attack and the city guards violated me faster than I could say worst interface ever.

You know, I heard this problem from someone else (two people, one person stopped playing because of it) and I have to say I am stumped. There is an icon in the center of the screen that is normally tan-ish for something you can look at/take/open with out being a theif. Now, when it is someone elses property the icon goes red. This is the "this isn't yours" part of the game. Books are the only things that are a little strange, because if a book is red you can still read it without moving it or taking it.

Also, learn how to sneak! If you are in sneak mode you get an attack bonus and you can steal if no one can see you. I pickpocketed the fighters guild key out of a "pickpocket's" pocket!

Quote:
Also, what's with the interface - so painfully, painfully old school with its "ye olde" script and its stupid parchment.

Meh, its functional.

Quote:
And the jumping! Oh man. Worst looking jumping, ever. Horses don't steer properly and travelling everywhere seems to take ages. Every single NPC looks like they were stung in the face by bees and then hit by a car on the way home. Of course you can only find this out if the camera happens to zoom out enough, because as far as Oblivion is concerned "ultra-close-up-on-the-eyes" is the optimum conversation camera angle.

Yes! Yes! YES! YES! Although I have to admit that the terrible jumping is kind of great in its own way. And when you do run into a "cute" or at least non-hideous person they stand out a lot in the game. The only thing that I can say is that if you don't like the traveling you probably won't like the game much... BUT, you know that you can pretty much warp everywhere with the maps right? That said, getting lost and pillaging dungeons is really one of the best parts for me. Seeing something off the beaten path.

Quote:
I actively disliked the game. I think it may be one of those games you have to want to like before you can actually get into it. And I just could not do it.

It really helps if you know what you're getting into with the game, and also it helps if you want to look around/explore more than just plow through the game. Anyways, I only went and individually responded because I noticed that you were basically saying things weren't in the game actually are.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Either way, first person view is best for everything, if only for the immersion factor.

i keep telling shaper this but he disagrees!

and it makes me sad!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:

I do disagree. I think it only emphasises that you are playing a game and takes me further out of the element.

The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Huh? Perhaps this is an eXs Box exclusive feature, but there is always a cursor. Blocking cannot be done while attacking, and you can't start to block while you are being attacked, or after getting knocked back. I am still getting the hang of it myself, but sheild+dagger is the best option for poking and blocking it seems.

Well, admittedly I haven't played the XBox version, but on the PC (and I'm pretty sure this is the case since I heard someone talking about a mod to fix it.... I think) there was no targeting cursor when you where in third person. This made it utterly, utterly impossible to do anything ranged from third person. So I had to go back to melee combat, which like I said, felt clumsy and difficult.

Quote:
You know, I heard this problem from someone else (two people, one person stopped playing because of it) and I have to say I am stumped. There is an icon in the center of the screen that is normally tan-ish for something you can look at/take/open with out being a theif. Now, when it is someone elses property the icon goes red. This is the "this isn't yours" part of the game. Books are the only things that are a little strange, because if a book is red you can still read it without moving it or taking it.

Argument ad populum! Two whole people can't be wrong! But yes. I didn't see that, and though I am now tempted to go and reinstall it, I won't. But I will say if it didn't immediately stand out, it probably should be a bit more noticeable. (Personal, selfish preferences stated as fact! Hooray!)

Also, people seem to, like... stop caring, after you steal something. They just calm down after a few minutes if you don't go anywhere, and return to their lives. It's really odd.

Quote:
Yes! Yes! YES! YES! Although I have to admit that the terrible jumping is kind of great in its own way. And when you do run into a "cute" or at least non-hideous person they stand out a lot in the game. The only thing that I can say is that if you don't like the traveling you probably won't like the game much... BUT, you know that you can pretty much warp everywhere with the maps right? That said, getting lost and pillaging dungeons is really one of the best parts for me. Seeing something off the beaten path.

I agree, and I got a strong feeling of that when I was exploring the fields, that I could spend hours just ransacking random houses and trawling magic dungeons, and I wanted to, I really did. It called to me in a way that only Avernum and Exile have done before, but... it was so clumsy. I couldn't do it. Also, I couldn't work out how to map-warp. In fact, I had to go get a net guide because I couldn't figure out how to drop items. so really, disregard that comment.

Quote:
Anyways, I only went and individually responded because I noticed that you were basically saying things weren't in the game actually are.

Probably true! But it also sounded like you wanted to say "yes! yes! YES!" a lot, and to be honest, I have a girlfriend for that Wink

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
dhex wrote:
Quote:

I do disagree. I think it only emphasises that you are playing a game and takes me further out of the element.

I think the exact opposite emphasises it (save for 2D games, somehow), though generally, it's really all down to control.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Great Unwashed wrote:
Well, admittedly I haven't played the XBox version, but on the PC (and I'm pretty sure this is the case since I heard someone talking about a mod to fix it.... I think) there was no targeting cursor when you where in third person. This made it utterly, utterly impossible to do anything ranged from third person. So I had to go back to melee combat, which like I said, felt clumsy and difficult.

Oh, third person. Yea... see, the game isn't ment to be played in third person really. The game works really well in first person to the point that I never leave first person. In fact, I would say that the game plays completly different to the point that it feels like 3rd person is only there for people to take screen shots of their character with.

Quote:
Probably true! But it also sounded like you wanted to say "yes! yes! YES!" a lot, and to be honest, I have a girlfriend for that Wink

ZING!

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
3rd person is only there for people to take screen shots of their character with.

and all that stuff is in the manual, which is not bad by bethesda standards.

it just ain't much of a third person game, is all.

as i argued somewhere, in some publication recently, the elder scrolls come from a long line and long tradition of games on the pc which are fundamentally broken in some way because of their attempts to push the envelope in one direction or another (be it graphics, ai, interface, gameplay, etc) and kind of just keep piling on. oblivion fixed a lot of the technical issues with the series, but they also kinda reigned in the wackiness that made it so endearing in the first place.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

3rd person is for traveling across the vast lands hopping around while listening to Dr. Dre.

Also it helps you identify where attackers are coming from.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: