The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can't stop listening
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Horrors' Sheena is a Parasite Don't care for the garage trash music and the ever-so shitty British singers, but the video itself is amazing. Chris Cunningham breaks his sever year hiatus on music videos here and for all minute and a half of it, it's great.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my best mates and i just started up (on May 21st) a new mp3 music blog over at http://tunes.bluesummers.com/

we also put out a print zine every two weeks during the university year, so this is kind of a side project to that. we're still getting everything up & running but hopefully it will eventually be a decent resource.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2007 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last night I saw Estradasphere/Secret Chiefs 3. Estradasphere has pretty much dropped all of the performance aspect of their show and is much less jazz and more metal-y than they used to be.

They played for about 50 minutes and then Secret Chiefs 3 played for an hour, took a 10-minute break and then kept going for another hour or so. They played one song 3 times and another twice, each time with a serious variation from the earlier versions. The whole show had a very jammy atmosphere to it and it was obvious the band was having a ton of fun, which spread to the crowd, who was probably the most enthusiastic I've ever seen considering that it was a medium-size group.

The 'Halloween' cover was fricking great.

ETA: Oh, and they all had hooded black robes and Spruance's was covered in Masonic paraphenalia. A+++++, would go to show again.
Swimmy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Bomb the Music Industry! even though I had food poisoning and was sick as hell. It was worth it!

I don't normally go to ska shows, so that was my first time seeing a crowd of skankers. I'm more of a mosher, even though I don't care for most hardcore. Go figure.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is that thing hardcore kids do with the martial arts stuff in a line called?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

entertainment for the rest of us?

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the electric slide?
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomp!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hijacking this thread to talk about audio drama.

so shaper told me a week or so ago that he was listening to a bunch of dr. who audio plays and, despite my previous experience with doctor who, i was intrigued - the audio drama is a medium that was discontinued before it could really begin to develop. shaper offered to upload them for me, and i told him that if he did, i would listen to them.

easier said than done. i came close to quitting a few times. the acting is often strong, but the writing is so bad, so patronizing, so typical of doctor who. that the primary vehicle of plot advancement in every episode is the doctor continuously making shit up - not just solutions to problems but characterizations, premise. i find it really insulting, as an audience, as a reader, as someone to whom concepts like evolution and rudamentary physics exist as real pieces of learning, not just phantom ideas to be wedged into some cheap narrative. doctor who is contrivance after contrivance, strung along into the spectre of a narrative.

(also, the central plot point of the audio series - the doctor rescuing the life of someone who should not be saved, and the consequences that arise - is preposterous. the doctor saves people and affects history in every episode. in that same episode the doctor starts an interstellar war and changes the course of a species's history. what continuity is it that the rescue of this one person has such profound effects on?)

and shaper only uploaded the good episodes.

the happy ending, though, is that i stuck it out until the end, which was "a natural history of fear", which is honestly excellent - for the first time, a doctor who script as well written as it is acted. i'm glad i got to hear it. the rest was dreck.

if i can find a torrent of harry potter and the sorceror's stone, i'll listen to "wizard people, dear readers" tonight.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 09, 2007 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update: wizard people is amazing. "the wretched harmony" sounds like it should be a character in the phantom tollbooth.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

won't be available until 5:30pm EST but here we go:

a bathtub of gin and barbiturates
(third in a series of some)

viktor sljoberg - dominique et natali๋ – piscine
autechre – vltmx21
global communication – 4
future sound of london – domain
biosphere - poa alpina
asmus tietchens - VOT 3,2
mika vainio – marras
time machines - 2,5-Dimethoxy-4-Ethyl-Amphetamine
seefeel – spangle
alec empire – untitled
venetian snares - felbomlasztott mentokocsi / galamb egyedlb3l
main theme to arcanum
jhnan prakash gosh - drums of india /osho rajneesh - on tantra (excerpt)
fsol - eyes pop skin explodes everybody dead
tujiko noriko – differencia
the black dog – chesh
boredoms - Jungle Taitei (Laughter Robot's Hemp Mix) Remixed By Yann Tomita
bill laswell – ruins
secret chiefs 3 - seige perilous
black ox orkestar - moscowitz terkisher / di khasene
six organs of admittance – lisboa
coil - triple sun introduction (live)
autechre - vi scose poise
not breathing - wet side of the moon
aphex twin - next heap with
swans – i was a prisoner in your skull
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is the wizard people thing funny for people who don't read/know/care for harry potter? or should i get it for my wife?

the wikipedia entry is some kind of criminal act. (i fixed it here)

Quote:
Wizard People, Dear Reader is [...] The Sorcerer's Stone [...] audio book [...] as [...]Mystery Science Theater 3000.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

actually it reminds me most of what's up tiger lily.

this was the first time i watched the whole harry potter movie, and it was brilliant and funny. i guess a basic familiarity with the characters will help you appreciate some of the subversion, but i expect it'll be pretty fucking funny even otherwise based on the strength of the writing and delivery. there are some youtube videos if you want to gauge your reaction.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess, did you know about htt://dramapod.com/
It's got the audio dramas, originals and new stuff. Unfortunately it doesn't offer much in the way of quality filter, but it's a good place to make a beachhead from.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2007 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, that is awesome.

is there anything you could recommend?

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the way back from the Braves game last night, I put in a mix I made back in January that I hadn't listened to since. I was blown away at how much I liked it. Here's what the tracklist is:

Common - Be
The Temptations - Ain't Too Proud to Beg
Dilated Peoples - This Way
Kelly Clarkson - Behind these Hazel Eyes***
T.I. - What You Know
Smokey Robinson and the Miracles - The Tears of a Clown
Sufjan Stevens - Decatur
Andr้ 3000 - Idlewild Blue
Cam'ron - Hey Ma
The Beatles - Getting Better
Black Star - Definition
Gnarls Barkley - Smiley Faces
Dangermouse - 99 Problems (mixed with Helter Skelter)
Norah Jones - In the Morning
T.I. - No More Talk
Matchbox 20 - Push***
Big Boi - The Train
The Beatles - Got to Get You into My Life
Alanis Morisette - Head over Feet***
The Clash - Death or Glory
The Jackson 5 - I Want You Back
Tom Waits - Hold On

It's probably the closest thing to a portrait of my musical tastes that has ever been compiled.

(***) means that I included those songs because I made the mix for driving to a frisbee tournament, and there were three other guys in the car, so i wanted to prompt a couple of hilariously bad sing-alongs. If I had made the mix entirely in earnest, I probably would have replaced them with "Good Vibrations" and "God Only Knows" by the Beach Boys and either "Talkin' New York" by Bob Dylan or one of about ten Arcade Fire songs that I adore.
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's hard to tell what's good on dramapod. I used to dig the Wonder Woman serials, but haven't been keeping up with them lately. Looks like the Metal Gear one got removed or I'd reccomend that one, sorry.

If you can go for the old stuff I'd hit http://otr.net/ for some of the really old stuff. The ones with commerical value like The Shadow have been pulled, but I Love a Mystery and Have Gun Will Travel are both there and fine examples of the best from yesteryear.
antitype

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2007 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

x-posted from SB mainly because I thought the Winged Assassins might be interested:

This is GALLHAMMER. They're a trio of young ladies from Tokyo who play crusty black/doom, and they are fucking METAL. They've released a bunch of demos and one album entitled Gloomy Lights, which were compiled as a sort of best of/primer release from Peaceville called The Dawn of... It's somewhat uneven as a result, with the first two tracks probably being the best (and some outstanding moments scattered afterward), but it's a promising start for a young band, and good fun if some girls doing their Hellhammer/Amebix influences proud sounds like something you'd want to hear.

"Speed of Blood"
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was listening to them just recently. I was going to link to a video in my doom post in the video thread but I wanted to keep it to bands that were traditional. I'd be listening to them now but I've got on Judas Iscariot instead, specifically To Embrace The Corpses Bleeding.

If your idea of black metal is blasting drums, frosty guitars, rasping vocals and a lack of weird psychedelic shit or industrial leanings then Judas Iscariot is exactly what you'd get. Fortunately it's very good black metal so if you're into any of that you might want to research the band more.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

question: what makes a guitar "frosty" ?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A brittle, chilly tone emphasizing the treble of icy texture over fullness and warmth, basically.
antitype

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found this on some black metal forum and it made me laugh.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what's the deal with facepaint anyway?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a complex set of tribal markings that indicates whether they were raped more by their dad or their uncle.
antitype

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My understanding is that the black metal scene took it more from Hellhammer and King Diamond of Mercyful Fate than Kiss, though in the context of rock music you could probably trace it back to there. And I guess where Kiss were going for some sort of kabuki-style superhero look, other bands thought it looked ghoulish (see: grim, necro, et al). Stephen O'Malley of Sunn O))) has said that he believes it's a ritualistic way of creating a mindset, which has partially influenced him to place such a focus on the aesthetics aspect of his band. It makes sense, but the whole thing obviously looks silly most of the time, to casual onlookers in particular. Some bands (very few) manage to do it right and make it look interesting. Here's an example of corpsepaint done well:

Much more often, though, it comes off as cheaply theatrical, when most bands ought to just let the music speak for itself. Here's a fucking goofy example:

That's Immortal. They're pretty much an internet meme now. Though, really, shit like this is just fun, too.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i'm familiar with these blowjobs:

i dunno. i don't really like stage shows that much so i don't get it. i never got the smoke machines/kmfdm approach to industro-rock either. i like the lightning bolt on the floor thing though. less mediation that way. probably why i never got bothered much by the whole "he just played on his laptop" thing.

edit: oh man i had no idea those dudes from sunn dressed like that.

also, what the fuck ny times?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify, Sunn O))) don't do the black metal thing specifically. They dress like this:

Took those pictures m'self, I did.

But yeah, the whole theatrical thing can be really hit or miss, and while I think Sunn O))) pull it off well and there are a handful of black metal bands that can, too, most of the time it's just really ... bad. I saw Behemoth open for Suffocation once, and they looked like idiots. Fishnet shirts and shit. At least nine times out of ten I think it's better if they just stay away from that stuff.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

those outfits look kinda comfy actually. but yeah i mean i knew they did the monk thing which made me think of the monks.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been told by a few people that the corpse paint came from Norse mythology which Wikipedia seems to agree with.

Immortal split up but they are totally back together now. I fucking love Immortal, they are funny as shit. You've got to have a sense of humour about yourself if you go and do a video like this one.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

are you sure?

PostPosted: Tue Jun 12, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guido metal could be hypothetically awesome.

Also world-ending.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh biohazard? any random ny hardcore group from the 90s?

seriously the dudes from biohazard used to deliver pizza by where my friend grew up in sheepshead bay
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

Is the guy on the right Lestrade?

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jun 13, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, Darkthrone already have a new record completed and set for release in September. It's called F.O.A.D. and it will include the cover version of "Bad Attitude" by the '70s punk band Testors, which first appeared on the internet mail order only 7" Forebyggende Krig single/EP. I guess there's a re-recorded version of some song called "Wisdom of the Dead", too. Sounds like we can expect something that continues from where The Cult is Alive left off — sort of equal parts crust punk and '80s style proto-black metal (e.g. Celtic Frost, Venom, etc).

I enjoyed The Cult is Alive for the most part (there are some really outstanding tracks like "Underdogs and Overlords" and motherfucking "Whiskey Funeral"), but I think their best album of the last decade is probably Sardonic Wrath. I have pretty high hopes for this new one, anyway!
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 3:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I heard it (in Terrorizer #158, when Nocturno was talking about his film) the cover song was going to be on the EP not the album, like they did with Love In A Void on the Too Old Too Cold EP. As I like the new black metal direction that Darkthrone took on the last album (it was like 1980s Brazil, in Norway, in the year 2006!) so I will naturally be getting myself a copy when it's out.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just bought the protomen's self-titled cd. it's an egoist rock opera ostensibly based on megaman, particularly the relationship between rock and his brother protoman. i've been listening to the songs on myspace repeatedly and i decided that if i'm going to keep listening i really ought to listen to the whole thing. printed lyrics would be great too.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been having a flashback day lately at work and have been rocking broadcast's "the noise made by people" which i still think is their best album. fond memories of relaxing from salvia mantis marches and remembering only happyhappyhappy.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Era Vulgaris:

The queens of the stone age just aren't the same band any more. i like era vulgaris, but it's like, a dandy warhols or autolux album with some slightly heavier guitar. it's probably better than lullabies to paralyze which was a sprawling mess that sorely lacked nick oliveri. i guess i just have to accept that songs for the deaf was a high water mark.

shit am i getting old
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the last few days, I've fallen for Jesu. Early hard stuff or later shoegaze drone, it's all mint to me. Both the first Heart Ache EP as well as the latest Sun Down/Sun Rise stick out in very bookend ways, that said. They're almost purely instrumental, and I'd probably recommend them first before going into the LPs or even Silver.

And Justin Broadrick knows how to make a remix. I thought his work with Isis was great, but the one remix he did for Explosions in the Sky is utter bliss. His style buds into a folk take on post-rock there, I find. It's delight.

Haven't heard the entirety of Era Vulgaris yet, but the title track is pretty great.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Motherfucking Crystal Logic.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i picked up jason forrest's shamelessly exciting today. it is indeed exciting.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, Tegan and Sara's new album The Con is so damn good. I can't wait for it to get officially released, as this is something I will definitely pay for.
captaincabinets

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i heard the title track the other day on my crystal set, it was pretty goddamn good. I usually have an bias against sister acts because the veronicas' existence makes me ill, but I may be swayed this one time.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

my protomen cd arrived. it is pretty hot.

i used to know someone who was way into tegan and sara. as a consequence, i never ever listened to them.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i used to know someone who was way into tegan and sara. as a consequence, i never ever listened to them.

You're missing out, I have to say.

Also, They Might be Giants are pretty damn good. Previously my only exposure to them was Malcolm in the Middle.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been listening to a lot of Histoire De Melody Nelson by Serge Gainsbourg and Jane Birkin. I've been in love with this album for quite a while now. I loved it even before I knew they looked like this:

It gets better the more I hear it. It sounds like a puzzle I'll never solve or the voice of an alien language I'll never understand, and not just because the lyrics are in french (I have a translation).
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gouki wrote:
Also, They Might be Giants are pretty damn good. Previously my only exposure to them was Malcolm in the Middle.

I just got into them this past fall. Their first four albums (eponymous, Lincoln, Flood and Apollo 18) will always be their best, but their latest (The Else--I think it's coming out the 11th?) is really, really good. I'm shocked they sound so awesome after about twenty years of steady recording.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

T.I. just released a new album.

It's called T.I. vs T.I.P. It's a concept album. The concept is gimmicky and not executed well.

Some of the songs on it, however, are fucking incredible. The first Wyclef Jean-produced track (of two total, i think it's called "You Make Me Better") has the best beat I've heard this year, and T.I. works it into the ground.

It's rarely as good as anything on King or Trap Muzick, but any of you hip-hoppers might want to borrow it from a friend and give it a listen.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good gh0d, Fugazi is some good stuff. Specifically, lately, it's been In On the Kill Taker and 13 Songs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 11 of 22

Jump to: