The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can't stop listening
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it was used in a car commercial, iirc. i think. i'll ask tim the next time i see him.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

every six months or so i listen to last rights by skinny puppy as loudly as possible. still blows me away every time, especially "download."

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I should put that on. It was their last truly great album — in retrospect, maybe their best, though I was once upon a time most partial to Rabies and Too Dark Park, and then everything before that. VIVIsect VI, Bites, etc. Still pretty great stuff! I was just so turned off by The Greater Wrong of the Right, ugh. Even after the ohGr stuff, which was somewhat similar... It just wasn't right. And then there was that awful "Rivetheads vs. B-boys" breakdancing video.

I guess Skinny Puppy started to suck at music when they stopped taking drugs and dying.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, yeah, though there are parts of the process which are interesting. (it doesn't really hold a special place in my heart, though the old "thee process" list was an important part of my life back in 95-97, so it sort of does by default.)

that video is fucking hilarious, btw. i have no idea what to make of it, however.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Christmas is coming, and, with Christmas, comes Christmas music.

I'm trying to find a copy of Oi! To The World by The Vandals so I can listen to that this year, and "Fuck Christmas" by Fear will probably be my MySpace profile song just for the hell of it.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

christmas is coming?

it's early november!

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2006 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, a couple of albums have hit me pretty hard recently:

Rounds by Four Tet
Trap Muzick by T.I.

The first is a very cerebral and spiritual bit of electronic music. Half the time it sounds like someone is tearing a hole in the outer music to reveal something entirely different beneath.

The second is a southern rapper who deserves much more appreciation than I had given him before. He's conscious, he's got swagger, he tells it hard, and his flow has a lilt and drawl to it that screams Atlanta. Oh, and some of the beats are just fucking insane.

What have y'all been listening to?
Neal

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a friend mail me a couple of K band's cds to check out the other day, Tender Forever and The Blow. Both cds are really good. I ordered those Miranda July re-releases too a couple of days ago and am looking forward to check them out again, I used to own them a few years ago but gave them away.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brand New- The Devil and God are raging inside of me.

It's amazing. Nothing less, nothing more.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Nov 25, 2006 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok so i pulled out lifeforms by accident by doing that whole "close eyes and point finger at cd collection" thing and bam i'd forgotten how good this double cd is. it's a double dose of good. blog-worthy good.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stop listening to the following:

Luomo - Paper Tigers (album)
Wilco - Theologians (song)

Please help me.
dongle

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stop listening to Aihiyo. I have the live CD and a bootleg of a concert but, for the life of me, can't find their first CD!
Gouki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stop listening to The Fray. Does this make me a bad person?
internisus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. Are they good?
Gouki

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess so. I like them. One of their songs was in Scrubs.
internisus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that is okay then.
chompers po pable

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 4:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i love me some joan of arc and one am radio. and i also can't stop listening to the good life, thread.

helicopterp, regarding interpol, i didn't like antics much :eww:, i like(d) "turn on the bright lights" mo. lots.
baronpatsy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I guess this is the best thread to bring this up in.

I'm not very in-the-know when it comes to music, so I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out here. I'm looking for some electronic music that's akin to Aphex Twin's faster, more brutal stuff. Stuff like most of the songs from "Classics". What are some good artists like this?
DaleNixon

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atari Teenage Riot? Ultraviolence?
wankerwitson

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try Vulerabilia by My Computer
baronpatsy

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I'm downloading some Sunn O))) right now. I've decided to give them another chance and try to enjoy it.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Venetian Snares has been receiving some comparisons. Start with Rossz Csillag Alatt Született, follow with Cavalcade of Glee and Dadaist Happy Hardcore Pom Poms, then move on from there. 808 State's Newbuild was an inspiration for D. James, so look into that one. You may be interested in giving Alarm Will Sound's Acoustica a listen, as they're acoustic classical arrangements of Aphex Twin tunes.

I'm not really into harsh IDM to be frank, but Autechre, Amon Tobin, Oval, Telefon Tel Aviv and 808 State are all worth your while, at least in the short term. I'm tempted to suggest giving noise music a listen, but I'm not sure you want things to be that harsh and brutallistic. If you do give it a shot, however, start off with some Aube and the Alec Empire vs Merzbow Live CBGB's NYC 1998 album to get a taste.

Last edited by Dracko on Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't the early Kid606 stuff all about that? Down With the Scene and the like?
zebadayus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm

Last edited by zebadayus on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:04 am; edited 1 time in total
antitype

PostPosted: Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baronpatsy wrote:
Also, I'm downloading some Sunn O))) right now. I've decided to give them another chance and try to enjoy it.

This is interesting, Patsy. You hate Boris, right? I don't think you'll like Sunn O))). I mean, I'm glad that you're willing to try (I guess — I'm not even much of a Sunn fan myself, aside from a couple of their records (Flight of the Behemoth, Black One, and the Altar collaboration with Boris)), but I think you'd be better off trying some more Boris, if you want to get into this sort of music. Start with something more song-oriented and rocking, like Akuma no Uta or Pink. Then, if you like those, move on to Flood, Feedbacker, etc. and eventually decide whether you care to get into their ridiculous drone stuff like Absolutego. If you go that far, then it will make more sense for you to move on to the Sunn O))). Though hey, if you're just looking to experience something you're not used to, then by all means, go for the real beast.

Aren't you kind of into Nirvana, too? Maybe that was ajutla; then again, doesn't everyone like Nirvana, kind of? I bring it up because you might be interested in knowing that Kurt Cobain was involved with Earth (he shared a house with Dylan Darlson for a while), the original drone-metal band — aside from the Thrones and the Melvins, who Cobain was also involved with — and bands like Boris and Sunn O))) followed in their footsteps (while drawing from other things as well, such as black metal). You can hear Cobain singing on Earth's "Divine and Bright" from Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars, for example.

If none of this is interesting, please don't mind me! I'm just entertaining myself.
Iammadmak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really really enjoy the new Brand New album. It's even further away stylistically from their debut it feels completely natural the direction they have gone in the past few years. A quiet despair is how describe it. It makes for the perfect winter album.
Nana Komatsu
weak sauce
weak sauce

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't stop listening to this song by chatmonchy, a japanese rock band, called renai spirits.

mp3 here
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

patsy, you might dig black dog - spanners is the album to get. it's more chill than classics. that early mid 90s idm sound is pretty neat.

also get select ambient works (the first one) if you haven't already. similar ideas, less tape hiss.

alec empire recommendation: the destroyer.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I finally bought "The Record" by Fear this weekend.

Before I bought it, the only songs of theirs I was familiar with were "Let's Have a War", "I Love Living in the City", "Fuck Christmas", and "I Don't Care About You", and I knew that their mission was to offend everybody within earshot of them (well, at least that's what it used to be), but the album totally blew me away. Not only is it one of the most offensive things I've ever heard, but, for an 80's hardcore punk album, it's not too bad musically either. They do a lot of experimentation as far as their sound goes, but they never stray too far from their normal sound. It's a very interesting album.
baron patsy

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

antitype wrote:
baronpatsy wrote:

This is interesting, Patsy. You hate Boris, right? I don't think you'll like Sunn O))). I mean, I'm glad that you're willing to try (I guess — I'm not even much of a Sunn fan myself, aside from a couple of their records (Flight of the Behemoth, Black One, and the Altar collaboration with Boris)), but I think you'd be better off trying some more Boris, if you want to get into this sort of music. Start with something more song-oriented and rocking, like Akuma no Uta or Pink. Then, if you like those, move on to Flood, Feedbacker, etc. and eventually decide whether you care to get into their ridiculous drone stuff like Absolutego. If you go that far, then it will make more sense for you to move on to the Sunn O))). Though hey, if you're just looking to experience something you're not used to, then by all means, go for the real beast.

Aren't you kind of into Nirvana, too? Maybe that was ajutla; then again, doesn't everyone like Nirvana, kind of? I bring it up because you might be interested in knowing that Kurt Cobain was involved with Earth (he shared a house with Dylan Darlson for a while), the original drone-metal band — aside from the Thrones and the Melvins, who Cobain was also involved with — and bands like Boris and Sunn O))) followed in their footsteps (while drawing from other things as well, such as black metal). You can hear Cobain singing on Earth's "Divine and Bright" from Sunn Amps and Smashed Guitars, for example.

If none of this is interesting, please don't mind me! I'm just entertaining myself.

I got "Black One". It's...different! I don't really hate it, but I can't say I like it either. I think I need to let it sink in a little more. It's calming, though. Good for studying! Though, I have to say, it sounds like someone throwing a guitar down a flight of stairs, slowed down about two hundred times.

Also, apparently I have two screen-names on here? That's weird.

That's mostly ajutla that's into Nirvana. I acknowledge that Kurt Cobain was a pretty genius pop songwriter, but I'm not crazy about the band as a whole.

And dhex, I've got the complete Aphex Twin discography (3.6 gigs!), so I've got the first in the Ambient Works 'series'. Thanks for the other recommendation, I'll be sure to check it out.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iammadmak wrote:
I really really enjoy the new Brand New album. It's even further away stylistically from their debut it feels completely natural the direction they have gone in the past few years. A quiet despair is how describe it. It makes for the perfect winter album.

Winter was exactly the same term I was trying to hint on, but couldn't quite decipher in time until recently. Good god, this album depresses the hell out of me, but I adore it. It's like a strong motivation to go on, while the other half just resonates this change filled with sadness, it's incredible.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 1:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i read the first few posts, so I've got a few songs/albums to offer.

N.E.R.D - In Search of...

I dont know why I like this album so much, I just think that the neptunes offer a whole lot musically. Which leads to:
Mr. Me Too by the Clipse
Yeah, another Neptunes track, but it's so simple but so genius.
All mine - Portishead
Very chilling, and for some reason wakes me up in the morning.
Kick, Push (remix) - Lupe Fiasco and Pharell
This is mostly by accident, as it just always happens to be picked whenever I switch to one of my playlists, but good song nonetheless.
93 to Infinity - Souls of Infinity
The beat is infectious, and the lyrics are playful enough for me to enjoy.
She Keeps on Passing Me By - The Pharcyde
I've been single for nearly 2 years, so yeah.

And anything by the Dipset, it seems to always get into my playlists somehow.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am listening to the new Circulus album, Clocks Are Like People. It's quite wonderful really, not something that I'd usually find myself listening to but it's really grown on me. I think I might have to buy their previous album too when I get the chance.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baron patsy wrote:
I got "Black One". It's...different! I don't really hate it, but I can't say I like it either. I think I need to let it sink in a little more. It's calming, though. Good for studying! Though, I have to say, it sounds like someone throwing a guitar down a flight of stairs, slowed down about two hundred times.

Also, apparently I have two screen-names on here? That's weird.

That's mostly ajutla that's into Nirvana. I acknowledge that Kurt Cobain was a pretty genius pop songwriter, but I'm not crazy about the band as a whole.

And dhex, I've got the complete Aphex Twin discography (3.6 gigs!), so I've got the first in the Ambient Works 'series'. Thanks for the other recommendation, I'll be sure to check it out.

Calming? Listen closer!

And IMO a fair amount of the AFX discography is pretty disposable. I was way into IDM in high school, though. It's perfect for the mindless high school homework one is assigned.

Antitype: let's trade doom.
dongle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Wasn't the early Kid606 stuff all about that? Down With the Scene and the like?

Hearing Down With the Scene described as early makes me feel really old Sad
dongle

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baronpatsy wrote:

I'm not very in-the-know when it comes to music, so I'd appreciate it if someone could help me out here. I'm looking for some electronic music that's akin to Aphex Twin's faster, more brutal stuff. Stuff like most of the songs from "Classics". What are some good artists like this?

Maybe you'll like Venetian Snares; I find his work largely disposable but it's "brutal". I'm also biased against him because he was a complete dick on the PMu boards. Later period Squarepusher might be up your alley. Maybe get into Antzen label industrial noise.
Wall of Beef

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baron patsy wrote:

I would suggest listening to Black One with headphones, and do nothing else while listening. Let yourself fall asleep to it even. It works best when its completly washing you over. Be in the dark as well.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

duckzero wrote:
Kick, Push (remix) - Lupe Fiasco and Pharell
This is mostly by accident, as it just always happens to be picked whenever I switch to one of my playlists, but good song nonetheless.

How is this different from the one on the album?

She Keeps on Passing Me By - The Pharcyde

Something about the Pharcyde just doesn't work for me, kind of like Jurassic 5. I think it's the way they rap too much about being better rappers than everyone else, but their flow is boring and stilted. And they have this kind of faux-washed-out sound that just bores me.[/quote]

Anyway, folks, I saw Cat Power a week and a half ago or so when she hit Athens on a Saturday night. She played for over two hours, the band she has playing back-up are wonderful, and her cover of the oldie "Hit the road, Jack" was absolutely haunting. I'm pretty sure I fell in love with her, quite unexpectedly. Did I mention she is gorgeous?
zebadayus

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm

Last edited by zebadayus on Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ratatat's Classics is surprising in that it is actually an interesting, funky album that doesn't get boring after a couple songs, like the first Ratatat album.

Also, Jason Forrest's Shamelessly Exciting is a really intriguing album. It's essentially pop/rock music built almost exclusively from samples of other pop/rock music. It's a bewildering, yet incredibly catchy listen.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe wrote:
Also, Jason Forrest's Shamelessly Exciting is a really intriguing album. It's essentially pop/rock music built almost exclusively from samples of other pop/rock music. It's a bewildering, yet incredibly catchy listen.

that album is amazing (and war photographer has a great music video, too)

The Unrelenting Songs Of The 1979 Post Disco Crash is also a great album with a slightly noisier edge to it. He also has at least one release under his earlier Donna Summer pseudonym

Also, I'm fairly sure he's the guy behind Cock Rock Disco and anything they pick up for release is generally guaranteed to be worth a listen.

I can't stop listening to Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!

Jocko Homo is such an excellent song in every way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys if you like hard rock, metal, and/or drone you all need to listen to HARVEY MILK, especially Courtesy and Good Will Toward Men
Joe

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
Joe wrote:

that album is amazing (and war photographer has a great music video, too)

The Unrelenting Songs Of The 1979 Post Disco Crash is also a great album with a slightly noisier edge to it. He also has at least one release under his earlier Donna Summer pseudonym

Also, I'm fairly sure he's the guy behind Cock Rock Disco and anything they pick up for release is generally guaranteed to be worth a listen.

I can't stop listening to Q: Are We Not Men? A: We Are Devo!

Jocko Homo is such an excellent song in every way.

I've been meaning to thank either you or vision for the Forrest recommendation. So, uh, thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
baronpatsy wrote:

Maybe you'll like Venetian Snares; I find his work largely disposable but it's "brutal". I'm also biased against him because he was a complete dick on the PMu boards. Later period Squarepusher might be up your alley. Maybe get into Antzen label industrial noise.

I got, uh, Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett, because people keep telling me it's his best, and I am completely in love with it. It's exactly what I was looking for. Thanks a lot, everyone who recommended Venetian Snares.

And on the topic of Sunn O))): I've listened to the album a few more times (yes, on headphones, as that's how I listen to all music), and I don't think it's for me. I can appreciate it, I guess, but it's just not my kind of music.

And Antitype, I'm not sure if I said this elsewhere, but I wanted to apologize for being a dick to you on the old IC boards. I'm done being an internet jerk.
antitype

PostPosted: Tue Nov 28, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dongle wrote:
Guys if you like hard rock, metal, and/or drone you all need to listen to HARVEY MILK, especially Courtesy and Good Will Toward Men

Hell yes.

Patsy: Hey, no worries.

I love some Venetian Snares. Rossz Csillag Allat Szuletett is a very good record, though Winnipeg is a Frozen Shithole (which was released around the same time) is a bit more my speed, most days. And it contains audio clips from The Saddest Music in the World!
Joe

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Antitype, I see you have seen the light.

Alternately, the Ridge Racer 7 soundtrack is pretty boss.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 29, 2006 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Passin' Me By is the jam, along with well, most of their other stuff.

I know I ride their jock pretty hard, still, Tha Alkaholiks should be listened to. Just their early stuff though, their latest (Firewater) is pretty bad.

Today was lots of Miles Davis, some Melvins and a little Forbidden Planet soundtrack. The Davis was really good, although I need to remember not to overdo it at work, since today I started spacing out rather than sending the 100 tedious emails that I need to send every day. The Melvins helped with that, although I hope in hindsight that none of said emails were unnecessarily caustic.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 1:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was totally rocking out to KISS until just after lunch time, when I rocked out to W.A.S.P. Those first two albums are just great, not a bad song to be heard. But man that first album, it's got Animal, I Wanna Be Somebody, L.O.V.E. Machine and The Flame straight in a row, that's your hit album right there. Holy shit, I was in headbanging heaven. I totally need to dig out my Twisted Sister albums tomorrow, first thing I do.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 2:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't remember who it was, but someone on IC convinced me to forget what I thought I knew about Squarepusher and really go for Hello Everything. I'm super glad that I did, and grateful for this advice! Hello Everything is mostly very much like the title track of Do You Know Squarepusher?, which is the only track I had liked previously. That's terrific! I really like this stuff! Ferociously like it! It's music that I've always wanted without knowing it! Thanks!
Wall of Beef

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Æthenor: Deep in Ocean Sunk the Lamp of Light

Featruing Daniel O’Sullivan (of Guapo) and Stephen O’Malley ( of Sunn o)))), this is less drone than more like atmospheric soundscape music. Very dark stuff none the less, like the sounds of some sort of horrid event taking place in a smelting factory. Its still feels related to Sunn O))) / Earth, just closer to noise releases. Give it a whirl.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 4 of 22

Jump to: