The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Za King of Fighters (Wes, stay out)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Za King of Fighters (Wes, stay out) Reply with quote

So, I admit I have been out of things for a little while with king of fighters. Well, KOF XI is coming out in Japan on June 22 and I am pretty excited. I haven't seriously got into any KoF since KOF2002 came out and I didn't have money to import it.

A little while after that a friend got me back into actually playing the games in stead of bantering back and forth about them (King of Fighters has a pretty excellent story line to discuss and speculate about) with KOF 2003 when we found it in our arcade. I really enjoyed the game even though it was fairly unbalanced, even for a SNK game. KOF03 really showed that SNK wanted to put the effort into making a good game and because of it there were some really nice new and unique elements in KOF that sped up the fights (if not "Marveled" up the fights, which is still popular among many, myself not included)

Did that make you nervous? No, seriously, it has been being passed around for a while that SNK really just needed to take a break from the every year format. They did it for 10 years, good job, you proved that you could do it (even if the releases started to slip further and further back into the next year), thank god they stopped. Really it has only been a couple years since KOF03 was released (March 11 2004 and even more recent for the US home release), but they still needed the break.

SNK also needed to get use to the Atomiswave. At first it seemed like they were having some problems programming for it, but they seem to have shaped up quite a bit as Neo Geo Battle Coliseum on the PS2 has shown me. So '04 passed and no KOF then the announcement came for the change to roman numerals so that they can actually finish and polish the game up (lets forget that Maximum Impact was changed to KOF in the USA with the year designation, I know I have). Well the game was released in Japan and the little bit that I have managed to hear about was all positive. As far as I know it is even still being played in arcades.

Yea, I got a small chance to play it in arcades, but the button configuration was exceptionally messed up (not to mention that it was more a social event than playing KOFXI vs Toups would warrant). I really enjoyed what I played, but I need to get into the systems and see what was added and tweaked, just a few minutes with it mostly trying just to punch, not kick, was too much.

Lets go over what was added or tweaked from KOF03 first. As you may remember the team can be changed out on the fly for all the characters that you pick. You share super bars with all team members, but only the captain can do what would be equivalent of a level 2 super. Something was done in just two manners previously which was "standard" (don't know the technical term) and switching into a combo (which cost you a super bar).

Now you have three kinds items relating to the use of super bars that are not really "supers." The first is "quick shift" which is similar to the combo team member shifting attack. The second is "saving shift" which will shift your teammates while you are in the middle of getting your ass kicked. The last is interesting, "dream cancel" which will allow you to go straight into your team leaders level 2 super attack from a combo (I think!).

There is now also a judgment indicator which will determine how well you defeated the enemy (which is nothing really new to fighters). I know it does something interesting for the balance of the game but I don't know exactly what.

Now, lets see what was added for the PS2. Most interesting is the Broadband online play. While not really new for SNK, it is worthy to note that this is the PS2 which hasn't gotten a whole lot of support in this area. There will also be 4 new stages added (Concert Hall, Gondola, Space Shuttle, and Inlet Slope) as well as an arrange mode for character colors.

The cherry on top is the addition/return of 7 characters: A version of Mai, Mr. Big, Robert Garcia (KOF03 version), Tung Fu Rue (see above), Geese Howard, EX Kyo, and some masked fellow who I don't know. For more information and pictures you might want to check out SNK Playmore's website.

This makes me pretty excited. Now that they can really focus on the game and the balance (which they seem to have put many fail safes in place) and not about a time line I think that this may be the culmination of what SNK has been working towards for quite a while. For me KOF03 was the first really excellent KOF since '98 which was just a dream match.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really, really want to play XI. All the Atomiswave units in my area have that Sports Shooting game installed.
aderack

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Za King of Fighters (Wes, stay out) Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I need to get into the systems and see what was added and tweaked, just a few minutes with it mostly trying just to punch, not kick, was too much.

Yeah, what was up with that?

Otherwise, I'm impressed with how polished the game feels.

I really should mod my PS2.

As for the Judgment indicator -- who was I fighting against, where I thought I lost and I'd actually won? Was it you?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Za King of Fighters (Wes, stay out) Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
As for the Judgment indicator -- who was I fighting against, where I thought I lost and I'd actually won? Was it you?

Yes! That's right, we did run into that. We had a timeout and I had more life, but then you moved onto character select. I relinquished my chair at that point. Though, I admit... you were pretty good.

Re-reading the initial post I realise that I forgot half a sentence in the second section! I was in a hurry, but wanted to write about KOF. Damnit.

TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That "Dream Cancel" bit kinda made my heart jump for a second. Maybe a second. That's all though.

I am really digging the art direction of the KOF series as of late. The story still confuses the hell out of me though.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRumblefish wrote:
I am really digging the art direction of the KOF series as of late.

As am I. Dare I say it - I like the art in the newer games more than the art in the older games.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I got a copy from a friend and have been meaning to play it for about a damn week now. Something keeps getting in the way of that happening though, so I will come back with some more in depth reports later.

I will note one thing: Anyone who has played an Atomiswave SNK port on the PS2 knows how bad the loading times were. They seem to have greatly fixed them in this port from all reports.

friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I will come back with some more in depth reports later.

I will try and do the same. We can do tag-team reporting I support. Mine is supposed to arrive this afternoon from NCS.

Yeah, KOF has been in a sort of developmental limbo over the past several years, as far as I'm concerned. I was completely prepared, before the announcement of KOF XI, to see Neo Geo Battle Coliseum as its spiritual successor, given the general shlockiness of 2000 (or even 99) through 2002. 2003 was a move in the right direction, but still not great.

So we'll see. It's nice to see SNKP caring enough about the series to put so much effort into the game engine, new characters, and even the art direction (it's... Hiroaki? I'm no expert at KOF-artist-ology, like a lot of folks at KOF-specific site seem to be). But then Samurai Spirits TK looked promising, but was something of a letdown.

It would be nice to care about a fighting game again. It's been too long since that was the case.
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also scored a copy. This is exciting, guys!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
But then Samurai Spirits TK looked promising, but was something of a letdown.

WHA? How was it a let down?

friedchicken

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
friedchicken wrote:
But then Samurai Spirits TK looked promising, but was something of a letdown.

WHA? How was it a let down?

That was something of the essence of my article in issue 5 (I guess it was obscured by my craptastic writing)-- that while it includes a zillion characters, it doesn't really do anything astounding, and that it's clearly SNKP saying 'that's it, we're done with the series'. I had been hoping for a super-polished sequel, just like KOF IX is allegedly a super-polished answer to the older KOF's. But that's just, like, my opinion. Don't get me wrong, it's fun, it's just not the sequel I was looking for.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

friedchicken wrote:
I had been hoping for a super-polished sequel, just like KOF IX is allegedly a super-polished answer to the older KOF's.

I wouldn't get your hopes up too far. It won't be much different than the evolution from '95 to '96.

dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, putting high res backgrounds behind low res characters is totally not attractive.
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be sure to get around to telling us how KOF IX is, Shaper. I never really got into the KOF series, mainly because my childhood was filled with more Street Fighter cabinets than anything else, and the only NeoGeo units I saw until college invariably had Puzzle Bobble running on them. I'd like to really get into KOF now, but I'm not sure really where to start--I figure getting 2001 or 2002 on the Dreamcast is a good way to go, though.

Oh, and SVC: Chaos was pretty awesome. Despite having a good amount of Capcom characters, the overall feel was of the few KOF games I've played. Plus, nothing bad can be said about a game in which Mars People is a playable character.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Oh, and SVC: Chaos was pretty awesome. Despite having a good amount of Capcom characters, the overall feel was of the few KOF games I've played. Plus, nothing bad can be said about a game in which Mars People is a playable character.

SvC is pretty awesome, but the game itself is really, really broken. So it is really no fun to play seriously. Hit detection is all messed up, priority is all messed up, the combos are all messed up, and the top teir is broken as hell. But the story parts are awesome and the characters are fun/ny.

Also, I didn't get to play KOF because no one wanted to play it this weekend.

GSL

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll play next time!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: