The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Everything I know about FPS games I learned from John Romero
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interview with Andrew Spearin, photojournalist and director of the seminal Half-Life˛ mod, Insurgency.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really didn't like Insurgency

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my favourite part of Quake 3 is the sound it makes when you select nightmare difficulty.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favourite thing in Quake 3 was the volumetric fogging. It just had that wow, technology thing going on at the time. I like it even more than the extensive use of shaders on, like, everything and it still managed to run on a low spec system.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fogging sure made that one level pretty tense! You know the one... where you can't see more than two feet in front of you because of a nice brown/orange fog. JUST LIKE WALKING AROUND PORT ADELAIDE, LOLOL

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

haw!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently installed ioQuake and have been going back through my favourite mods, but there is one I can't remember the name of... you were invisible and had to track down the quad damage which was in a random place each time, and its location would be indicated to you by sounds (beeping, like in Enemy Zero). The level was populated by Klesks who could not see you, but coul hear you, so you had to sneak around them and know when to run for it, because if they heard you (and this included accidently falling to another platform) they would all turn around and rip you apart. There was a WALL OF CHINA map included. It was all quite tense! Anyone remember what this is?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
haw!

Ha ha!
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i met sandy peterson the other day.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he still designing DooM levels?
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or Call of Cthulhu books?

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to give us more information.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone asked him about call of cthulhu. it was funny.

i asked about the loading screens in sword of the samurai.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's that kind of gold you payed your tuition fees for.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

REDNECK RAMPAGE. Discuss.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SOMEONE MOVE OUR FPS TALK FROM THE GAMES YOU'RE PLAYING THREAD TO HERE, K THNX.

I only ever played the demo of Redneck Rampage, years ago with some school friends. The demo was a beta and I don't think there was an exit from the one huge level? We couldn't find it. So yeah, I always wanted to play it properly because HEY BUILD ENGINE AND FUNNY STUFF but never got it working on modern computers, too. I guess I could try again now with DOSbox.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know, I couldn't find the exit either! I looked in the manual .pdf that came with the demo and it was in the style of a fake newsletter, with all kind of dumb fake headlines about stuff Rednecks get up to. There was no information about the game. Then on the last page it said in huge letters 'YOU EXIT THE LEVEL BY HITTING YOUR BROTHER WITH A BASEBALL BAT, OK? THAT'S IT, BIG WHOOP. STOP CALLING US'

You'd think they would have made that more explicit!
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The demo wasn't even the entire first level, they cut lots out of it like the drive-in that had turned into a swamp and another farm house I think. I used to like Redneck Rampage enough to buy the game proper but I grew out of it eventually. You can only yell so many jokes about hicks whilst running through murkily-textured levels before it gets tiresome and finding your character's brother at the end of every stage in order to get to the next one (you had to feel him up or hit him with a crowbar or something) sucked because if you accidentally kill him you can kiss any hope of progress goodbye. Like, when you spin your view around and mistake him for one of those guys with the scatter guns, which happens more times than you'd think.

Yeah, sucked.

The manual was pretty sweet, it was like a miniature newspaper like Harveyjames said right as I was typing out this so A+ for packaging. Best to stick with other Build games like Blood even though it's too fucking tough. Or Duke Nuke Them since you can play that Starship Troopers mod I talked briefly about.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a movie of the first level, and the guy used no clip and found these signs that said WANT TO SEE WANTS DONE HERE? BUY THE FULL VERSION.

Also, I got it running dosbox! Woo! Rero makes me think it's not worth the bother, though! I'll play a few levels and see what's what.

Blood is awesome but yeah, way too fucking hard.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I hadn't deleted my Duke post, I forgot what my major points were

If anyone was taking notes, could you do a run-down of what I was saying with bullet points?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
HarveyJams said:

I played Duke Nukem 3D! It really isn't as good as I remember!

I personally like the idea of Duke Nukem 3D. That's there's a wisecracking, sexist, gung-ho action hero called 'Duke Nukem' who blasts his way through an odyssey of contemporary America is a pretty great idea for a videogame. It's a ripe vehicle for satire. Duke takes in an LA where all the cops are pigs, he visits Hollywood, burger bars, strip clubs, the san andreas fault, area 51 and gets to set off a nuclear bomb along the way. It sounds like one of those 80's Toxic Avenger movies or Class of Nuke'em High, done on a grand scale. A shame then that it's not very well executed. Something about the tone of this game is a little off!

That you can go up to women in a strip joint and hand them a fistful of wadded-up bills is pretty funny, and the sort of thing Duke Nukem would do. The problem is, sometimes they aren't strippers- sometimes they're just standing around trying to live their life (completely blase to the bloodshed around them), but Duke hands them a fistful of wadded up bills all the same. Duke is sexist, so I guess it makes sense that he'd do that, but there's no context provided- they don't slap him or run away or do anything to suggest this behaviour is out of the ordinary. Beyond that, the only way you can actually interact with them is by shooting them, resulting in an explosion of blood and dollar bills.

The opening scenes in the strip club and adult movie theatre are great, but there are naked women EVERYWHERE in Duke Nukem 3D. At a old Mayan chapel there are scantily clad tribal babes shaking their booties with wild abandon. Every calender shows a naked chick and every TV is tuned to a station with a naked woman on it. At a sushi bar, a motherfucking STATUE of a geisha girl shows Duke Nukem her tits when he goes up to it and presses the space bar. Is Duke sexist, or is the game sexist? They've obviously not given the whole thing much thought. I thought a better use of this character would be to throw him into situations where his habit of handing out wadded up dollar bills to every woman he meets is completely out of place, say a kindergarten or a lesbian book club and knitting circle, but the developers obviously thought it would be a better idea to have him inhabit a world distorted to satisy his own skewed values.

Also the sound designer obviously thought he was making a different game, because the game features the most hellish and terrifying soundscape I've ever heard! I don't remember it being this unsettling. The noises in Doom are friendly, almost comforting compared to this, which is weird since Duke 3D is meant to be campy and silly and Doom was supposed to be a game about Hell, made by Dungeons and Dragons nerds who listen to finnish Death Metal.

What else. The LA of the future isn't very well concieved. I like that it looks much like our own LA, but when I realised those flying pig cars were probably meant to be the transport of choice for the LAPD before they were transformed into pigs, it struck me how under-realised the setting is. There's not much to clue you in to the timescale, besides the huge futuristic doors that occasionally turn up and the fact that you sometimes inexplicably find yourself in entirely metallic corridors even though a second ago you were in a sex shop. Really, it feels a lot more like the past, especially since there's a TV displaying OJ Simpson's getaway chase in one locale.

Oh, and I played a game called MISS MANAGEMENT , which is really good!

the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHAT

How the hell did you do that
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's called USING HISTORY AND OFFLINE BROWSING

God DAMN this first level in Redneck Rampage is huge. Also, you can use cows as cover! Neat!

Last edited by Cycle on Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may as well be speaking crazy moonspeak

Have you played Miss Management yet?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's what I said in reply to harveys post!

Quote:
It's all so metaphorical! You could say the world is a satire of the perception we have of L.A/America from movies and news media, the kind of world that would forge a hero the likes of... DUKE NUKEM. Also I'm pretty sure that chick minding her own business in the bar is a hooker. Also, if you kill them, aliens spawn you get punished! I don't think they saturated the game with babes as much as they could have, too. I mean, epsidoe 2 pretty much doesn't have any apart from the cacoon ones because it's space, right? And lordy knows, no women will ever work in space! I do agree with other things you point out, though. I don't think their concept of Duke and his world was quite solid.

The ambient noise WAS really creepy. Scared the crap out of me when I was younger.

We should move this to the FPS thread!

On a semi-related note, I just finished Shadow Warrior again. I still think the Shareware episode is the best part of the game. The full verision is, for the most part, extremely dry and lacks the humour and BOMBAST of the first episode. It's like it was originally designed as a serious game, then they decided to make it funny shortly before release. I'm pretty sure this is the case, actually! The levels make china look like such a shithole, too. Everything is just an industrial wasteland. The level design is varied, some are tight (the floating castle and volcano level were pretty cool, and I also liked the bath house level, but for the most part it's chinese ruins or industrial areas), while others lack any real flow and you can get lost in them fairly easily. Oh, and some of the enemies are REALLY annoying and ill-placed. Still, it was fun mainly thanks to the weapons (I like sword. It's a personal weapon) and it was short with only 20 levels. So I had a good time and it's an above average FPS. But still, the shareware episode was much better! It's almost false advertising, really!

Oh hey, I remember reading that when you die in multiplayer, you can still play while waiting to respawn by spinning your decapitated head around and vomiting on people, so that's neat!

I finished the first level of Redneck Rampage. I really like the atmosphere! The gameplay is a bit meh so far, not offensive but not really interesting either. Game also hasn't been funny yet! I really liked the first level though, it was like walking around a little country town. Felt like the first level of OUTLAWS. The level sure was flat, though! And yeah, haha, if you guys didn't tell me to hit him with the crowbar, I would have never figured out how to finish the level. How obtuse can you get!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the third level. Don't know how much longer I'll play. A game that calls its God mode "Elvis Mode" has its heart in the right place, but this game really is below average. Some of the guns are interesting, but apart from that, eh. Oh, there are posters for Troma films all over the place, though! That's neat!

I really do like the atmosphere. The murkiness somehow adds to it. Now I'm in a trailer park, after visiting a baseball lot, heading to the drive in! Also I encountered aliens that threw poop at you (?) and an advertisement for some meat company, who claims no one can beat their meat. Also played thorugh a junkyard which made me want to play Interstate 76. So yeah, I'm enjoying the locations. Bowling alley! Complete with bowling balls! Shame about the rest of the game.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
there are posters for Troma films all over the place, though! That's neat!

That's pretty much the whole game summed up right there. And The Texas Chainsaw Massacre 2, whilst I am on the subject of comparing game experiences to film.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rise of the Triad was a better Tromaish game!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't smell much of an air of Troma from ROTT.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps not, but I always felt like it was a good fake B-Game, like the Troma films are good fake B-Movies (well, sort of fake). Redneck Rampage... I don't know. Not feeling it. This chicken factory level is pretty amusing though.

I actually have the Troma computer game around somewhere, I haven't played it yet. I bought it for like 50 cents.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate Troma movies.

GEE LOOK WE MADE A PARODY OF ALL THOSE CRAZY RETARDED B-MOVIES

But you ARE retarded

THEN MISSION ACCOMPLISHED SONNY WHOOO!

But your films aren't funny or clever on any level

THEYRE NOT MEANT TO BE, GOD YOU JUST DONT GET IT

gahhh

Last edited by Harveyjames on Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:24 am; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only seen a couple. The original Toxic Avenger, Cannibal: The Musical and a couple others who names I forget. I think one was a Toxic Avenger sequel. I enjoyed them, though!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah I forgot they produced Cannibal: The Musical. That film is great! It's written by, directed by and starring Trey Parker and Matt Stone, though, so it's barely Troma's movie.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've been meaning to get that on DVD ever since I saw it on SBS, it really is great. But yeah, It's hardly a Troma film.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, that was a nice conversation, why can't the conversation about MISS MANAGEMENT be this easy
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yeah, Redneck Rampage has mostly good level... I wouldn't say design. Locations? But the rest of the game is pretty sucky. I didn't bother finishing it but I quickly saw the rest of the levels with cheat codes.

Let's take a quick look at other Build games!

Games that were built directly on the Build engine.

Blood (1997)
Duke Nukem 3D (1996)
PowerSlave (Exhumed in Europe) (1996)
Shadow Warrior (1997)
William Shatner's TekWar (1995)
Witchaven (1995)
Witchaven II: Blood Vengeance (1996)

Games that were based on the Duke Nukem 3D code

Extreme Paintbrawl (1998)
NAM (1998)
Redneck Deer Huntin' (1998)
Redneck Rampage (1997)
Redneck Rampage Rides Again (1998)
WW2 GI (1999)

Unreleased Build games

Legend of the Seven Paladins (completed but never released, used the Build engine illegally)
Fate (not completed, only a demo exists)
Corridor 8: Galactic Wars (never released, source code available)

Funny, I thought there were more than that. IN AN IRONIC TWIST (not ironic at all), Powerslave first appeared on the Saturn with a true 3D engine and it would go on to power Duke 3D and Quake ports to consoles. Interesting!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Funny, I thought there were more than that. IN AN IRONIC TWIST (not ironic at all), Powerslave first appeared on the Saturn with a true 3D engine and it would go on to power Duke 3D and Quake ports to consoles. Interesting!

Let's get a chronology happening just for the heck of it; the demo for the PC version was released first then the Saturn and Playstation versions were completed in that order, then the PC version was finally finished which was entirely different to the console versions and not nearly as good. I thought it was a terrible game when I first played that old PC demo but when I saw that it was getting good reviews for the Saturn I looked into it and found an excellent game so it puzzles me as to why development for the original PC version continued when they should have just scrapped it and ported over what they had done on consoles. We probably would have got a game that didn't have a setup.exe that looked like it had fallen out of 1994.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tekwar, that was fucking terrible! The frame rate was like twice as bad as Duke Nukem 3D!

What is wrong with William Shatner! He was even in the game! His face kept popping up on the HUD!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Tekwar, that was fucking terrible! The frame rate was like twice as bad as Duke Nukem 3D!

What is wrong with William Shatner! He was even in the game! His face kept popping up on the HUD!

SOLD.

It was a Capstone game, wasn't it? They're notorious for shitty FPS games. And shitty games in general, really.

The only problem with Saturn Powerslave is the stupid save system.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing some TERMINATOR: FUTURE SHOCK. It's quite entertaining! Levels are huge, you can enter any building, varied objectives, the driving is actually pretty darn fun and it has a great atmosphere (though it could have done with some better sound design, it's a bit bland here).

I do have a few problems. First, it feels weird that I'm the only guy running around killing robots, but I guess I shouldn't expect NPCs running about the place. There are also way too many items everywhere. Like, every building is crammed with them and they're all over the streets, too. It makes exploration a bit dull because you know you'll ALWAYS find something, and I think I already have enough ammo to last me the rest of the game. I also thought the game was way too easy, but I bumped into some terminators and they've turned up the difficulty a fair bit.

So yeah, pretty pimp game, so far.

EDIT: Sewer maze. RESPECT DOWN. Kyle Reese wears a Daggerfall shirt. This game echoes Jedi Knight.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha ha ha, just wait until you get to the jumping sections later on, it sucks. Especially when you just come short and get stuck on the environment and the only thing you can do is move backwards, fall off and land in a radiated pit (or die from the brutal falling damage). Man, fuck the engine it's that horrible x-ngine that Daggerfall ran on, the one where you could fall through the floor and look straight through the walls at times. Not to mention how many times it crashed. I'm glad you didn't need jumping in Daggerfall as it really makes Future Shock a contender for worst jumping sections of any game, ever. Ugh. If there's any game that needs a remake it's this one just to get it on a better engine. Typical Bethesda, that same stuff happened in Morrowind and that was on a different and better engine.

Still, it is a pimp game, it's definitely The Terminator. They nailed it perfectly, it's just like you are in one of the movies if it was set entirely in the future. I don't know if there are any licensed games can pull it off this well let alone games from 1995/96. They even give you a HK to pilot later on in the game, that's pretty boss. There's even a laser rifle that has a nightvision display that actually displays what you are looking at in attractive green and black and it doesn't impact on the performance of the game at all. I'd really like to know how they did this over ten years ago, it's definitely a "technology, whoa !" thing there.

Oh, and you'd better enjoy all your ammunition Cycle, some of the more powerful guns combined with the increased enemy numbers around the end of the game you go through ammo quickly.

EDIT: I think the Jedi Knight-ness comes from the combination of textured and flat-shaded polygons. it makes it look really futuristic but here it's much better since there's no organic characters that look unintentionally funny.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the expansion/sequel fix some of these problems?

The game certainly has a Bethesda quality to it, but I haven't noticed anything too bad yet. A few graphical glitches, gotten stuck on scenery a couple times (my own fault for jumping in stupid places but hey, the recoil from weapon fire knocks you off) and TWO desktop crashes... but it's actually much more solid than I expected.

I've found the gun you talked about, it's pretty awesome! I have a nice selection of guns now, and I'm off to capture the H/K. It's awesome when you kill a H/K and the falling debris kills enemies beneath it. The challenge is much more rewarding now. I find myself skuling about the environments carefully and using much more tactics than in the first couple levels. Is it worth playing the jumping puzzle bits to see the rest of the game? I'm not sure if this game is good enough for me to finish, yet...

I really want to try the first Bethesda Terminator game but I can't find it anywhere. It sounds VERY interesting. It also sounds similar to a game I designed in my head. The second and third Terminator games soudn a bit eh, though.

EDIT: Gah, some jumping puzzles. Not too painful yet, but the engine really isn't suited for them. Plus they were in MORE sewers. Ergh. Thankfully the sewers never seem to last too long.

I'm in the H/K now. It's Terminal Velocity all over again!

Tell me more about Skynet.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Tell me more about Skynet.

I wish I could, DOSBox seems to hate it even though it's supported :_( But I have learnt well from the little I've played.

What I discovered from the oppression of our robot masters, missions one and two...
- it's definitely a game for those who completed Future Shock (I think you can upgrade, there's an option when you start a new game which has the title from the prequel but since this is a rip I couldn't take advantage of this), from the first mission you'll be fighting (many) Terminators and H/Ks. So they gave you some shooters to balance that out.
- bundled with those shooters is a motion detector which detects motion in front of you even before the scenery pops in though I haven't tested the range in great detail.
- pipe bombs are no longer contact explosives. Oh how I was red faced when it bounced directly off a walker's face when I had the trajectory all lined up well. Then he blazed me with his lasers. Explosives seem to be a bit easier to aim now but maybe that's just me.
- sometimes you can cause yourself damage by squeezing between level geometry, which makes the already brutal falling damage fatal (really, from roughly 50% armour and health to zero because I slid down a hill wedged in a gap that was slightly larger than me. How that happened I don't know but I was dead). Better watch yourself when taking advantage of this to create escape routes that make it impossible for robots to follow you like in Futute Shock.
- the first jeep mission is better than the one from Future Shock and a damn sight easier to find the exit, no need to remember all those directions.
- they gave your guy a voice only it is the voice of a computer admin. Augh!
- loading times are shorter in some places, longer in others though that might just be DOSBox.
- also forget using the SVGA mode unless you have a computer that can run DOS for real.
- multiplayer! Four player deathmatch! I remember seeing in an old magazine review jeep (!) and H/K (!!) combat as well as on foot. No co-op, this game would the shit with co-op. A sequel please Bethesda. Use the Call Of Duty 4 engine or something, it would be great for the game.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOSBox seems to love Future Shock!

I'm pretty amazed this game came out in 1995. It's very impressive, despite how rough it all is. How come I hardly ever hear people talking about it?

Well, it might be the bugs... I just encountered a game breaking one. I don't know if I can be bothered playing the entire level again... and the skip mission cheat doesn't seem to work. Another problem is how loose the mission objectives are, I have to keep referring to a walkthrough so I know what to do next. STILL, it was a good way to spend my GAME DAY on the long weekend.

Multiplayer... was this the first game to feature vehicles in multiplayer? I think just about everything else it has done was done in other games first, but it did them all PIMPINGLY. Also, yes, co-op would be amazing. We won't see a sequel from Bethesda because they don't have the license anymore Sad

SKYnet... doesn't sound that appealing. Sounds like they made it more action-intensive? And changed some things for the worse? Eh.

Also I liked following directions in the jeep mission!

EDIT: Got the cheat to work. The indoor SKYnet bases sure look like system shock!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I'm pretty amazed this game came out in 1995. It's very impressive, despite how rough it all is. How come I hardly ever hear people talking about it?

I'm willing to bet a combination of the usual Bethesda habit of developing games for high-end systems. I would've said Quake but that came out months later.

Two more things that I found in Skynet; shooting bullets at robots will cause bits of metal to fly off of them which is much needed feedback that was lacking from Future Shock, so now you know if you hit your target at long ranges. And they got rid of the neat talking head mission briefings for a rather generic view of the tactical room. Briefings are not present in the rip I played but they are in the demo. This is a real shame because I liked seeing my comrades. they were very well drawn.

Here's an interesting tidbit with Skynet, Bethesda did another 'first thing' with the game by making it the first stand-alone mission pack.

Cycle wrote:
SKYnet... doesn't sound that appealing. Sounds like they made it more action-intensive? And changed some things for the worse? Eh.

I have a theory about the game, that it started out as a mission pack but since Future Shock didn't do so well they passed it off as a sequel since it would probably kill any hopes of monetary gain to release an addon for such a semi-obscure game. Which is confirmed by the first point in my previous post.

So that would make Skynet the first stand-alone mission pack, a decade before all the Dawn of War games and Half-Life 2: Episode One. If you don't count DooM II that is, noone does anyway.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, that feedback sure would be helpful in Future Shock. Half the time I have no idea if I'm hitting enemies at a distance. I also like the mission briefings! I watched the FMV briefings on youtube, haha, man, I'm glad that fad is dead.

Also, cripes, this last level. It was pretty obtuse.

I'd go for Spear of Destiny before I went for DooM II when I comes to stand alone expansion packs, by the way!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing I liked about Future Shock was that you could shoot down the moon!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess you don't appreciate over-ambition as much as Rero and I, Jams!

A handsome fellow hooked me up with the original terminator game, so I'm going to give that a shot later.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I played a bit of the original Terminator game, which is quite interesting! First thing I did was find a car, then I mowed down a few people. Then I went to go grab some weapons, but I had no money and couldn't rob the place without a weapon. Luckily, a bank was right across the road! I managed to rob it without any weapons, attracting the police. I ran outside, avoiding the cops, and went back to the gun store. Bought a berreta, and robbed the place with it. Got myself a M16. I went back outside to fight the cops, before I realised I forgot to grab ammo, and I couldn't go back in the shop since I just robbed it, so I ran to the nearest car, got in, and escaped while trying to run over any cops I could (which was none).

I went around looking for another gun store so I could get some ammo. I robbed a sports store first, which was hilarious because I didn't need any of the crap in there (you can buy anything, even if it's useless). Finally found another store, bought some ammo and stole another gun, this time without getting busted. I drove my car into a tree and healed myself up. I went into a hospital but the doctors found out who I was and the cops were waiting for me outside, so this time I tried to mow them down with my weapons. I took down four of them but the remaining ones killed me.

So yeah, it's a pretty neat game. Great use of the license and quite possibly one of the earliest sandbox games. Shame the engine is so sluggish when lots of stuff is on screen. Oh, I also read the manual at the-underdogs which helped me get into the game much easier than if I just experimented. I still have no idea how I'm going to find Sarah Connor in this huge city, though.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a phone book but it's a Yellow Pages not a White Pages so you can't look up the addresses of all the Sarah Connors in town. It would make her much easier to find that's for sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 16 of 23

Jump to: