The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Killzone for PS2, any good?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
DaleNixon wrote:
To be fair, Shaper, you just finished playing through Half-Life 2. Are you using a DualShock 2 or the Logitech Wireless controller?

Logitech... why?

I'm guessing that's the reason. I've never had that problem at all. The only time I've ever really had a problem like that is when using my Japanese Xbox controller to play US games. I think their internals are slightly different for some reason and if the game isn't programmed to use it you need to push the button all the way down in order to get it to fire. Anyone else know anything about that?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What game are we talking about anymore?

Anyways, I stopped playing Killzone. It reminded me of why I generally don't like FPS games in general, although this one actually seems worse than most in just about every regard.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
Marathon is basically a hypertext novel when it's really on, so yeah, that's a good assessment.

Which I find truly fascinating. However, contrarily to even the likes of a System Shock, the plot and the actual game feel like two worlds apart. The connection isn't there. This is done better in the Halo series, though it doesn't hold a candle to Half-Life's implementation. I'm still curious to see what they do with Halo 3, because the teaser gives me the impression that they might take off their gloves, now that they're assured an audience, and go pomo, and indeed hypertextual, on us all.

dark steve wrote:
Although as usual, there are a lot of reasons to forgive the original's various level design issues.

Honest question: Such as?

The level design in Infinity made more sense to me, as crazy as it got. The first's one just felt unnatural in its context and environment, like a Doom.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
dark steve wrote:
Although as usual, there are a lot of reasons to forgive the original's various level design issues.

Honest question: Such as?

The level design in Infinity made more sense to me, as crazy as it got. The first's one just felt unnatural in its context and environment, like a Doom.

My guess is that he's going to say something about AI. Personally, Halo 2 is one of my favorite games of all time but I can't bring myself to finishing single player. The level design is just too bad for me to deal with. It's better after you've played through the level at least once and have an idea of what concept they were trying to get across with that level design, but the first time through it's just terrible.

So yeah, jump online and play with people that you know if you actually want to have a good time with the game. Otherwise, just forget about it.

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might probably want to consider waiting for Halo 3 before you complete Halo 2's single-player story.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's what Wes said, yeah, in terms of individual rooms and set pieces being built specifically around giving the AI lots of interesting ways to fight you once you start pumping the difficulty level (try Heroic if you haven't already). The other reason is that MS pushed the game out so it'd be launched with the xbox, which is why you get all sorts of weirdness like room repetition and fighting through each level forwards, then backwards. In terms of taking advantage of the AI, though, I think the levels in Halo 2 are actually a step backward in that they favor more rigid set-pieces and scripted "hold this area" sequences.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I thought you were referring to Marathon's level design.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh. Yeah that's just kinda cluttered. An attempt to distance themselves from Pathways Into Darkness on a technical level, show off the fancy new engine. Early demos of Marathon just look like pathways IN SPACE, so much so that I guess they got snubbed at Macworld, and then ended up scrapping the whole thing and starting over. Level design is much cleaned up later on (except Slings and Arrows of Outrageous Fortune arrgh I hate it), yeah.

There's some really great stuff in the "History of Bungie" booklet that came with the Trilogy box.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll have to look into that. I'm just really curious to know what was going through their heads at the time. There's so much room for speculation in the series.

Wasn't the very start of Marathon a Pathways reference? I remember feeling so weirded out by it because I wasn't aware of Pathways at the time.
dark steve

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are lots of strange dev materials scattered all over the story page at bungie.org.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Dracko wrote:
Killzone is a Halo killer in the story, character, aesthetic, sound and weapon departments.

So it's better in all of the areas that don't really matter?

-Wes
Although I'm very likely never to play this game...I wonder how it compares with Black. From my play of Black, it is a superlative experience, in terms of visual style, atmosphere, audio, and gameplay...but for some reason it's just not very fun.

(I typically do not buy EA games, except when I can find them used for under 20 dollars, because that's my way of sticking it to the man...I have Half-Life2 for Xbox at home as well, but haven't played it. Knowing that it's coming to 360 gives me the idea that I probably won't ever play it, and should probably trade it in).

===

I also have Halo and Halo 2 and don't play them. That's as much about the 360 not showing that you've played when you're playing BC games as anything though. They're games that I always promise myself that I'll get to someday.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seeing as hl2 is the finest game of at least the past five years you're kind of punching yerself in the nuts there, dude.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
seeing as hl2 is the finest game of at least the past five years you're kind of punching yerself in the nuts there, dude.
I'll play it, I just don't much feel like playing the Xbox version when a 360 version is virtually around the corner. I don't play PC games, so it's going to be one of those two.

Also, with so many people fluffing the HL2 schlong, that makes me kind of nervous. I've played enough games that had that kind of massive good press that I didn't like to justify it, I think.

I guess I kind of insulted you there, but I mean it in the best way possible.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any particular reason why you don't play on your PC?

But you're probably better off waiting for the 360 version, yes. Apart from the obvious graphical improvement, it's my understanding it will also come along with Episode One and Two, as well as Portal. I don't know about any multiplayer games like Half-Life Deathmatch or Counter-Strike, because I really don't care for them.
J.Goodwin

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Any particular reason why you don't play on your PC?
It might be capable of running HL2 (I haven't checked), but I stopped playing FPS games on PC when quake came out. Mouselook doesn't agree with me. I do occasionally play PrBoom, but I view that as retro gaming, so it doesn't count. It's kind of funny, I don't even like playing emulators on the PC.

I briefly played Warcraft and Command and Conquer, then burned out on the RTS genre. Diablo was nice, but it had little annoyances, and the most recent game that I played on PC was Neverwinter Nights.

Mouselook makes me nauseous, whereas playing on a console doesn't. It may have something to do with screen proximity as well. The other games...I can appreciate their quality in some detached way, but there always seems to come a point in time where I'm asking myself why I'm playing, because it seems like more work than it's worth (in NN, that was because of the camera. I upgraded my video card after a while playing it, and the stutter and crapalicious textures got a nice upgrade, so I won't complain about that).

And Will Wright ... everyone's the gaming press has got this massive chubby over everything he produces, but virtual dollhouses don't appeal to me.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, hl2 is about as scripted as one can get without being a movie, so you won't have to worry about sandboxes.

i can understand being worried about hyperbole, since i've let loose some of my own. to me the game illustrates not only what's wrong with a lot of game design in general, especially in regards as to how to handle narrative in an action game, but a clear pathway as to where "adult" gaming can go (so i can stop typing quotes around "adult" eventually). i hope it catches on rather than just being ripped off for all the wrong reasons. (dark corners of the earth seems to be a step in the right direction, for example.)

the only time i get queasy (i'm playing on a big screen) is when i jump off of things. the falling sensation kinda fucks me up. but mostly in a good way. it never stops me from jumping off of shit in far cry.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
the only time i get queasy (i'm playing on a big screen) is when i jump off of things. the falling sensation kinda fucks me up. but mostly in a good way. it never stops me from jumping off of shit in far cry.
It's kind of funny actually, because I basically don't get motion sick...ever. Mouselook is the one thing.

I also find it kind of funny that people are so protective of possibly the most maladapted control scheme ever conceived.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

different strokes for different folks.

i think it makes perfect sense, but i like pc games and have so for many, many years. using a thumbstick just ain't the same. (not terrible, though)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: