The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Nintendo Revolution
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark steve

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His testimony is INVINCIBLE
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's important to remember that Nintendo is moving gameplay from the digits to the wrist, not all the way down to the arms or hips. Sure there will be some games that will want to turn the player into the Star Wars Kid in front of their TV, but most games will be just as sedentary as traditional games.

I would propose that many action games like Zelda will use a combat system involving flicking the wrist in different directions, not attacking the coffee table with one's entire body. Draw a circle in the air, and execute a spin attack.

Will it be cool? Well, it shouldn't be any less cool than clutching digitally manipulating controller like a cross between a Rubik's Cube and an accordion. And with Harry Potter and Lord of the Rings reviving a wider acceptance in the idea of wizards with wands, it may look considerably cooler to draw invisible sigils in the air and leave wholesale destruction on a screen.
kuzdu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, that's what I'm wondering. From everything I've heard, the Rev controller just seems to either act as a mouse for your TV, or a more dexterous right analog. While more dexterity is certainly appreciated, does that really mean any sort of revolution in gameplay?

On a similar note, do you think that any developers will be imaginative enough to create games that require two controllers to play? I doesn't seem like there's anything to stop something like that.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

were i the betting type we could set up a pool on whether or not the revolution is going to be ridiculous. (in the sense that waving around the controller like it was a sword is ridiculous)

not sure how i'd set the odds, however. at this point, maybe 3 - 1?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still wonder why you think it's going to be ridiculous. Did you... skip childhood?

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

in the sense you mean it, yes.

i just have a lot less froth and faith in nintendo than you guys do. i see them as a sort of electronic urban outfitters; making faux nostalgia pieces at a premium, basically. and living off that same need to avoid "growing up" etc. as such i have no doubt they think there's a big future in waving crap around. and maybe there is, since i have no reasonable data one way or the other, just a hunch that silliness lies in wait.

but as for making odds, i've become somewhat obsessed with futures markets lately, and short-term betting makes for a nice analog to that in some ways. information markets type stuff.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kuzdu wrote:
a mouse for your TV

SPOILER ALERT.
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david wrote:
... In all seiousness, though (in ALL seriousness), I disagree. Zelda is about Link's relationship to his environment. The first person perspective, despite supposedly being a great way to pursue immersion, is actually the opposite; it alienates because it provides no visible stand-in for the player.

Also, it's a lot harder to make things seem "as they are" just by putting the camera right where the player's eyes would be (were he part of the game world), because our real senses depend on each other; no one stands alone. Our sense of things is informed by all kinds of things -- stuff, even. Reality is just too complicated to convey in a literal, 1:1 kind of way. Creative camera direction is necessary to compensate for what's lost with the omission of all our other senses, not being there, etc.

You're right about Zelda being about the relationship between character and environment. It would just require a different strategy for designing environments, naturally.

I would also like to see Link have a set, static set of tools for the entire game, a la Wanda.
kuzdu

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
kuzdu wrote:
a mouse for your TV

SPOILER ALERT.

I'm really sorry guys, I didn't mean to ruin the suprise.
dark steve

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe. I'm not convinced it'll have that kind of precision, at least compared to a DS. I think it's more analogous to a really refined analog stick.
xvs07

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This whole thread excites me; I think we all realize we've got a potential paradigm shift about to happen. However, I know that I won't let my own levels of hope go past "excitement" for a while. I'll buy the damn thing preorder, I'll sink at least $400 in during the crucial first year, but what I won't do is believe this thing is going to force MS and Sony to change or die, no matter how much I may want to. Not that there isn't evidence that it could do just that... after all, I got my own father interested in one, and that's something.

I think the people who've been making noises lately about maturity and depth in content being the difference (between VGs and books, between success and failure for consoles present and future) are on the right track, but only halfway. If Ebert and seemingly everyone else are going to compare games to film and text, I'm going to compare games to candy. If you look at other pleasure industries that've been around for hundreds of years (candymaking, circuses, gambling, prostitution) it becomes obvious that the system to make the paradigm shift, Revolutionary or otherwise, will need to have as wide a target audience as possible. The Revolution won't transcend the traditional boundaries of the game market without creating a flavor for every niche and several flavors that appeal to nearly everyone.

RE: The Jeet Kune Do workout disc: Cool thing about gaming is that, ideally, it is the perfect union between real-life play and lucid dreaming. Maybe we'll see sensors that strap to our joints and put us in a sparring match with Bruce. I dunno. I really want the Revolution to bring it one step closer to the ideal, but I'll let my money do my hoping.

RE: Sword-waving: Am I the only one here who still likes swinging a stick through the air just to hear the sound it makes? As for silly, never forget that bellbottoms came into fashion. Twice.
Tablesaw

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i see them as a sort of electronic urban outfitters; making faux nostalgia pieces at a premium, basically. and living off that same need to avoid "growing up" etc. as such i have no doubt they think there's a big future in waving crap around. and maybe there is, since i have no reasonable data one way or the other, just a hunch that silliness lies in wait.

I agree, but I don't see Sony and Microsoft as doing anything noticeably different. They market adolescence the same way Nintendo markets childhood, and in general, they have better marketing to single adult males, as opposed to parents and children. And I don't particularly think there's much future left in pressing tiny buttons.

The Revolution cotnroller, separate from the next Nintendo console, is, as presented, a brilliant idea. How it will work with this mysterious and shadowy console, we don't know. Microsoft and Sony, with their plans for making their consoles multimedia centers could make great use of this, because nongamers who could use such a multimedia center are leery of the bizarre button-based controllers. But a magic-wand-like mouse? Yeah, that could fly. That'd make it easier to move around menus of music and DVDs, easier to program DVRs, easier to adjust sound and picture settings.

So, yes, i do see a big future for waving crap around, and lots of non-tech-saavy folk watching Minority Report felt the same way. Whether that will necessarily translate into a big future for the Revolution remains to be seen.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i see them as a sort of electronic urban outfitters; making faux nostalgia pieces at a premium, basically. and living off that same need to avoid "growing up" etc.

That's how they operate as a business. On the other hand, wouldn't you? They need all the money they can get as long as they ARE competing with giants like Sony and Microsoft. It doesn't really speak much one way or the other about the philosophy behind the Revolution or the game creators that they employ.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have no issues with how they run themselves. i also have no happy warm feelings for them either. all three companies basically are the way they are, and none of them are terribly egregious.

Quote:
It doesn't really speak much one way or the other about the philosophy behind the Revolution or the game creators that they employ.

well, the money has to come from somewhere, hence super mario soccer and foosball and fire drill and dental school and whatever else they can glue that little racist stereotype onto.

i am just far more cynical and reactionary than you are; for example, the idea of attaching a philosophy to something which was shaped by focus group data and a hundred different hands seems somewhat idealistic.

again, i see nintendo much like apple, and in another sense, both are similar to scientology.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not like I go to sleep dreaming of going on a mid-summer walk through the park with Shigeru Miyamoto. I just like Nintendo because they seem to have their heads less up their asses than anyone else.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
It's not like I go to sleep dreaming of going on a mid-summer walk through the park with Shigeru Miyamoto.

eloquently put, my Toupsian associate.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually dream that it's late fall.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Raise the Master Sword
I call your name Shigeru
you slice falling leaves
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shiggy i call out
to our special park we go
hand in glov'd hand

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice seasonal reference.
squidlarkin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2005 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
And I don't particularly think there's much future left in pressing tiny buttons.

Buttons are vital. I'm happy to see them complemented with more subtle and nuanced control mechanisms, but we eschew discrete, anambiguous inputs at our peril. Remember Black & White? Remember having to draw a shape that the program could recognize as a five-pointed star at the precise instant that it was strategically important to do so? Having a single keystroke perform the same function wouldn't have hurt the game experience one whit, and as excited as I am about the Revolution, I worry about how many times that design mistake will be repeated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: