The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting Girlfriends to Game
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 3:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to show my girlfriend We <3 Katamari once but it really disturbed her and she made me turn the Playstation off.

She loved Resident Evil 4 though. So did her mom.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your girlfriend is evidently a bloodthirsty man eater.
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair, she gets all girly at the scary parts in RE.

But also, I think rolling up all the children in the school level was a bad choice for a demo play.
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the girls I know that play games play Animal Crossing WW. A good friend of mine is obssessed with the Crash Bandicoot games... not sure why exactly, but she is. Every time we talk about games we end up talking about Crash Bandicoot. A lot of girls I know also play DDR and SquEnix games.

I'm trying to find a girl that can kick my ass at King of Fighters. I'm pretty much undefeated in my little Texas town, except for one guy who I'm pretty evenly matched with.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OtakupunkX wrote:
I'm trying to find a girl that can kick my ass at King of Fighters. I'm pretty much undefeated in my little Texas town, except for one guy who I'm pretty evenly matched with.

Texas? What part? I know of a few arcades in Texas that have some really new stuff (including KOFXI), I am sure you just need to hand out there and you will find a girl who can kick your ass.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live in a suburb town kind of near South Houston called Alvin (soon to be the podcast capital of US). I've heard about an arcade called the Stargate that holds fighting game tournaments on a regular basis but I haven't gotten to check it out yet.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, Shaper, the other version of that pic has been my background for months now. It's probably the most effective representation of my consciousness Ithat I'll ever encounter.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel like SuperWes is complaining too much. I am cursed in that my girlfriend seems to have some sort of genuine beef with video games. It's very hard to get her interested, and even then its like there's this strange, almost aggressive resistance to them. It, more than anything else, risks destroying our union!

That said, I've discovered that we can have a fun time playing Cookies and Creme, which someone mentioned. Not in the traditional way I, before I had my soul broken, would have thought (as in staying up late with a buddy playing as much of the damn game as possible). But we can beat like four or five levels and maybe spend an hour on it each weekend. That alone is a big deal to me.

Interestingly enough, she expressed some interest in Kingdom Hearts 2 when she saw a picture of it in EGM (ever since issue 200 I'm waiting for my subscription to run out). I've heard nothing but bad stuff about it (mostly what Tim Rogers has said) but I wonder... if this talk of girls liking Squenix games has any morsel of truth in it, there are worse investments I could make. She's not really into anime, or anything like that (though she finds some Adult Swim programs funny), but then again Kingdom Hearts is all about traditional Western animation. So it might work.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one of my partners hated videogames and felt she had to compete with them for my attention. then again, she would have have felt that way about anything in my life because she was insane.

girls hate anything by squaresoft, if i'm the only one you count. none of the other women in my family can stand rpgs either, so. it's unanimous!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
girls hate anything by squaresoft, if i'm the only one you count. none of the other women in my family can stand rpgs either, so. it's unanimous!

My wife hated Kingdom Hearts even thought she had a lot of interest in it.

Showka, if you do get it for her play it down a lot. Make her think it will be the worst thing ever. Then, when it is ok at best it will feel like it is really good because her expectations were so low.

I also recommend Silent Hill. One that has an easy combat option. (2 or 3 really). My wife LUVs silent hill.

I think I have said that though.

showka

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, maybe I'm a big weeny but Silent Hill 2 scared the hell out of me. Not as I was playing it, mind you, but during every time since then when I've had to be in the dark, especially when I was working late at the office and had to go down this long hall way with the lights turned out. Also, I live in a house that is literally over a hundred years old. It's not as glamorous as it sounds, as its only been fixed up enough to be passably liveable. So Silent Hill 2 looks like it takes place inside my home. Also, if I ever fight with my girlfriend, even if its her fault, and then have desires of the flesh, some screwed up part of me will think of some shocking thing I saw in Silent Hill 2 and I'll be flooded with unfair guilt and possible erectile dysfunction. It's really a great game for non-religious men feel bad about sex, especially the second time you play it and get a better idea of what the monsters are representing.

Anyway, the only experience my girlfriend ever had with Silent Hill 2 was before I'd beaten it, and therefore before it had really scared me, when I was willing to play it around her while she was studying or reading. Suddenly I get to one of the oh so fun dialogue scenes, where Eddie keeps saying he's a "fat, worthless piece of shit" and she got offended by the cursing, or I guess out of context didn't understand or something, and asked me to turn it down.

Quick rant - I HATE it when people will tell me to turn down stuff in narrative heavy videogames. First off, you can't pause them, and they're usually very important. Second, it feels like people are taking a presumptious glance at the screen and rating it like they would a movie, only most people worth knowing aren't rude enough to walk in and judge a movie you're watching by one scene taken totally out of context. And when it comes to videogames, usually they only hear it. Whatever cut scene it is, it comes up short in their estimation, so suddenly you're being rude for not turning down what's clearly trash and it starts an argument not worth having.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

showka wrote:
she got offended by the cursing, or I guess out of context didn't understand or something, and asked me to turn it down.
Dump her.

SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

showka wrote:
I feel like SuperWes is complaining too much. I am cursed in that my girlfriend seems to have some sort of genuine beef with video games.

No, no. I think my girlfriend has the same issues. Her biggest problem is the amount of space they seem to take up. We've got a room full of bookshelves full of games and every time she sees them she seems to curse me. I am glad that she doesn't hold it against the games themselves and she's willing to play the ones that interest her.

showka wrote:
Interestingly enough, she expressed some interest in Kingdom Hearts 2

My girl was allz about the Kingdom Hearts 2. I got it for her for her birthday last weekend and she's been hogging the TV to play it, leaving me in the classic game room with my Saturn sans lithium battery. It's a good thing so I haven't been complaining. Based on my girlfriend's reactions it seems like KH2 might be a good game for someone who's interested in the premise, but it does start out incredibly slow. It took her something like 6 hours until she saw her first non-flashback Disney Character, so you might warn her that it takes a while to get going. Her biggest complaint has been that the game is too easy, so that might mean it would make it a good starter game for your girl.

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:16 am; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Her biggest problem is the amount of space they seem to take up.

you do own far, far too many games.

i mentioned my partner who thought mr. driller was a walking dildo, right? she had dildos on the brain, though, that one.

she kept stealing mine.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
leaving me in the classic game room

oh you poor thing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I don't know. My fiance tries to take interest in some of the games I play. She will not stop playing Animal Crossing:Wild World. She plays it more then I do, she's seen more then I've seen, and she knows more about the game then I do. She is truly obsessed with it. Which to me, is pretty awesome, considering it's the first time she's ever taken interest in any game.

She used to love Ninja Gaiden 1-3 to death, however she hasn't touched them for years. It was more or less nostalgia acting upon itself, not really a genuine interest in the game and it's skill value or anything. She also loves Super Metroid, for it's music and sometimes the gameplay. We talk about Metroid a lot.

She one credited Super Mario Bros 2. That was pretty awesome. She has memorized the game to a god like extent.

Now that I think about, she is involved with games to an extent, but anything that I play she never stops making fun of. Resident Evil, Bloody Roar, Tales Of , anything. Except Silent Hill, which she appreciates for it's sincerity and genuine darkness. Which in turn I appreciate.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
showka wrote:
she got offended by the cursing, or I guess out of context didn't understand or something, and asked me to turn it down.
Dump her.

It actually led to a pretty big argument, but I sort of realized SH is a gross game to be playing around her since she's not really into scary stuff anyway. She doesn't even like watching stuff like Silence of the Lambs.

Any other time she tells me to turn the volume down during dialogue, especially during MGS3, I normally just growl at her or something. She says it flippantly and dismissively. At the same time, she's also watched a lot of cut-scenes and things of that nature. She thought Killer 7 was pretty interesting, for example.

I'm in the same boat as SuperWes. I really like having my collection of games, but I'm getting fed up with running out of shelf space or having to always having to deal with them. I mean, I may die having played Zone of Enders no more than four hours, and Megaman X7 deserves to be sent to hell, but if I sold them to EbGames I'd get so little it'd be like making a charitable donation to their store. What I'd prefer to do is find some way to file them away, so that they'd be safe from dust and all the other perils of misuse but also easy to access if I ever wanted to.

ZOE and MMX7 probably need to get tossed, actually. But there's still other stuff like PaRappa the Rapper 2, which I have probably played as much as I will ever play, that I want to keep around but don't expect to pull out more than once a year.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

showka wrote:
I mean, I may die having played Zone of Enders no more than four hours, and Megaman X7 deserves to be sent to hell, but if I sold them to EbGames I'd get so little it'd be like making a charitable donation to their store.

hey, i hear we have a trading thread.

i should add some stuff to it, in fact.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think gamers in every city need to unite and create videogame libraries using the stuff they can't afford to keep in thier house anymore. All we'd need to do is figure out a way to keep people from stealing the games and we'd be set.
*christina*

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is really bizarre to see a thread that was about me that I didn't know existed. I feel odd. I don't even remember that conversation with Wes that started this.
I don't think I'm a girly gamer. I just got sick of all the games I played being repetitive. I was playing Animal Crossing and Harvest Moon and I got sick of repeating the same actions everyday.
I did try Herdy Gerdie and it sucked Wes. I think I tried Mr. Mosquito back in the day and found it interesting but we weren't living together then and I stopped playing it.
I love Kingdom Hearts 1&2 because it's Disney (I hate FF except for character designs) and because I feel like I'm controlling the action in that game. I hate turn-based games. I don't want to point at a monster and then select my attack from a menu. I want to feel like my mashing on the X button will destroy it. I don't want to sit there while it gets to hit me and feel helpless. I want to be able to dodge it and kick its ass.
I loved watching RE4 because I thought it was exciting without being scary. It's a game I'd rather watch then play myself though. MGS is retarded. I just can't laugh at it. It's too dumb. Kojima is obsessed with girls on motorcycles with their boobs hanging out. I just can't bond with that.
I hate Mario games and whoever that pisses off can just suck on it. I don't care. Platformers make me angry. I'll play Mario Party to keep the crowd happy but my days of enjoying Super Mario Bros are over. I do like Mr. Driller and Sonic occassionally but that's just not going to keep me busy for that long.
I think all this ends up with me waiting for games to be more unique and less repetitive. I'm not intersted in saving any princesses. I'm just looking to have fun or kick ass occassionally. It just needs to be in a medium that doesn't remind me of every other game I've ever seen or played. Games that I liked aren't so hard to find, it's just that there's never anything that I'm excited to go buy. Games like Katamari and ICO are great because they are different. They're challenging but fun. Maybe the problem isn't that I'm a girl gamer but that I'm a discriminating gamer??
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exaclty. Most of us here are so blinded by hope as to look past the glaring flaws in most games as long as there's some fragment of interest buried in there. But we're obsessive about our hobby too, and we tend not to understand why other people don't feel the same, or at least see what we're talking about. We don't sit on these forums thinking about how cool it was to shoot all those demons with a giant mortar cannon; we're actively mining the content for the little good ideas that may eventually culminate in a much wider acceptance of gaming. Not so we can talk about games around the water cooler like we would about sports (I think Halo's already been there), but so we can have discussions in the real world like the ones we have here, as one would discuss film and literature.

Anyway, I think the short of it is that we're looking for more than just entertainment from games.

Maybe I'm only speaking for myself on that.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*christina* wrote:
I hate turn-based games. I don't want to point at a monster and then select my attack from a menu. I want to feel like my mashing on the X button will destroy it. I don't want to sit there while it gets to hit me and feel helpless. I want to be able to dodge it and kick its ass.

BUT I KNOW ABOUT YOUR POKEMON!

Also, have you played Shadow of the Colossus?

Mr. Apol

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
showka wrote:
Dump her.

Dump her.

LJ -- Profile
showka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr. Apol wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
showka wrote:
Dump her.

Dump her.

Ok, who here DOESN'T have a girlfriend that likes videogames just as much as they do?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

showka wrote:
Mr. Apol wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
showka wrote:
Dump her.

Dump her.

Ok, who here DOESN'T have a girlfriend that likes videogames just as much as they do?
My wife dosen't like games anywhere near as much as I do. My enthusiasm rubbs off and she does get some enjoyment out of the (well, she has a sick glee for SH/HM games), but she never dispised them or my playing them. What if it was football you were into? Would you want someone around you who was always telling you to stop watching football? What if it was cars? Would you want someone to tell you to stop spending time in the garage? It is not so much that she dosen't like your hobby, but it seems like she dosen't accept that you like your hobby.

I was also only half serious about the dumping thing. The other half was jest.

EDIT: To answer your original question: Dess dosen't.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't you just make fun of each others' hobbies?

i mean, my wife watches those A&E miniseries versions of jane austen type novels. that's hilarious.

is it any dumber than video games though? i don't know. is such a metric possible?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

showka wrote:

I don't! But then, if I did I would wonder what was wrong with her and I'd be the one bugging her to get out more. Maybe it's a good thing?

-Wes

Last edited by SuperWes on Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
showka

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I made things sound too bad between my girlfriend and I, Shaper. As I said in my second post, she has shown interest in things like Killer 7, though I've told her she wouldn't like the rest of it. And she thought the opening parts of Metal Gear Solid 1 were really interesting. She even told me that Neo Contra looked intriguing and wanted to play it, though she quickly lost interest the one time we did.

These days, if she tells me to turn down the volume it's because she's claiming to study or something. Quite often this still leads to problems, and I won't lie, it totally sucks ass. But I don't think it's the same kind of situation you may be envisioning Shaper.

Girls and people in general can be too quick to develop opinions, especially if they only notice bits and pieces of whatever is on the TV. My girlfriend was reading a book, heard a bunch of dialogue about "shit" and killing a dog, and then sees my avatar shooting at another plains-clothes dressed human. I can only guess at that point every little stereotype ever about violence in videogames came into her head and she had a negative reaction because she didn't understand, based only on that scene taken completely out of context, why'd I enjoy a game about two dudes shooting each other inside a meat locker.

People make judgements like that all the time. Wes's girlfriend seems to be a bona fide gamer, but just said Kojima is all about girls with boobs hanging out riding motorcycles. I don't want to be an presumptuous ass (this is code for I'm about to be a presumptuous ass), but I'm assuming she either was exposed to such a small bit of MGS that the amount of motorcycle and boobage in the series was misrepresented as disproportionately large, or she has a fear of Wes being drawn towards girls on motorcycles with their boobs hanging out which his affection of MGS3 unfortunately played on. My girl used to always tell me similar things about how games were just about girls with boobs hanging out, but I think its because she's into magazines and flipped through those damn issues of EGM more than I did. Now I think she's seen enough of what I played to realize such an idea is unfounded.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the entire plot of metal gear solid 3 was just an excuse to for shots of boobies though.

seriously. play it again. pay close attention.

most of the playstation 2 software library is quiet japanese men contriving scenarios that will get their artists to draw boobies for them.

i tend to stick with games that allow me to wear clothing.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 7:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isn't 3 in the forest?

I watched my friend play for about an hour once. Nothing I've seen of it has suggested boobies though, so I'm kind of bewildered by this discussion.

Also, no matter how much I think about it, "hanging out" doesn't sound sexy.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
Isn't 3 in the forest?

I watched my friend play for about an hour once. Nothing I've seen of it has suggested boobies though, so I'm kind of bewildered by this discussion.

I watched my friend play for about an hour and a half. I'm convinced that your friend didn't press R1 during any of the cutscenes involving Eva.

edit: 8 bit posts!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came home from my evening job today to find that my fiancee has deleted most of my Tales of Symphonia saves (it was their time to go) and my Pikmin save (we are going to have to have a talk, me and her) to make room for her new save for Harvest Moon: Magical Melody, which she has been playing for probably 6 hours. She's apparently never had to manage memory card data before.

Be grateful that your wives and/or assorted loved ones aren't erasing your saved games. That is what I have to say. It's much more straightforward, though less pleasant, to deal with someone who erases your game out of spite. Woe is me that I have it so good, I know. I'm not complaining.
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I watched my friend play for about an hour and a half. I'm convinced that your friend didn't press R1 during any of the cutscenes involving Eva.

Well for one I didn't see in cutscenes wiht Eva, so yep.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack wrote:
I came home from my evening job today to find that my fiancee has deleted most of my Tales of Symphonia saves (it was their time to go) and my Pikmin save (we are going to have to have a talk, me and her)

My first big fight with my girlfriend was about her saving over my Ico save. I had just beaten it a few days before and she played while I was at class and ended up saving over my spot despite the fact that there was enough room on the card to start her own. This is one of the things that turned her off to gaming so I really regret acting so upset. We joke about it now, but it was a big deal at the time.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

if you had finished the game why did you need the save?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack wrote:
I came home from my evening job today to find that my fiancee has deleted most of my Tales of Symphonia saves (it was their time to go) and my Pikmin save (we are going to have to have a talk, me and her) to make room for her new save for Harvest Moon: Magical Melody, which she has been playing for probably 6 hours. She's apparently never had to manage memory card data before.

My wife is playing Magical Melody too. She is really enjoying it. Where did she end up picking to put her house?

Also, yes, I think this happens to everyone. The solution is simple (which I went with) buy them their own memory cards. ALL SIGNIFICANT OTHERS SHOULD BE REQUIRED OF THIS TO AVOID ARGUMENT.

Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
man, this is an old topic! have women figured out how to play videogames yet?

obviously
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also, I strongly recommend Devil May Cry. It's one of my favorite PS2 games.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

Wes was telling me something about DMC3 being the best game ever last night.

SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

God yes. It's amazing. It's like all the best parts of Devil May Cry compacted into every single stage. It's way too fucking hard though even when playing on Normal with Gold continues.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack wrote:

Dump her.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gold continues?

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
if you had finished the game why did you need the save?

Girls just don't understand.

dessgeega wrote:
gold continues?

The Special Edition of Devil May Cry 3 lets you play with the original Yellow US Continue system which basically forces you to restart from the beginning of the level whenever you die, or the Japanese system of Gold Continues, which allow you to restart pretty close to where you died. It's a much more fun game with the Gold Continue system. The game is seriously too hard to get any enjoyment out of any other way.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

back in my day continues were made of wood.

whippersnappers.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

whippersnappers.

How far did you have to walk to use them?

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zack wrote:
Be grateful that your wives and/or assorted loved ones aren't erasing your saved games. That is what I have to say

My wife erased one of my Final Fantasy quests once; since then I don't even bother. I just watch her play.

And yeah, we have our own memory cards now. Oddly enough, mine's the cute one.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Shapermc wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

God yes. It's amazing. It's like all the best parts of Devil May Cry compacted into every single stage. It's way too fucking hard though even when playing on Normal with Gold continues.

-Wes

That's why I have such a huge problem with the Devil May Cry series. IT FUCKING destroys me every time I attempt to play it. Same with Ninja Gaiden and the like. To bad they are so cool and stylish, man, it's like High School all over again!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

whippersnappers.

How far did you have to walk to use them?

fifteen miles, in the snow, with no shoes, both ways, et cetera et cetera.

by the time you were back there was still a second or two on the timer if you were lucky!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRumblefish wrote:
That's why I have such a huge problem with the Devil May Cry series. IT FUCKING destroys me every time I attempt to play it. Same with Ninja Gaiden and the like. To bad they are so cool and stylish, man, it's like High School all over again!

There are problems with this assertion.

1. The first Devil May Cry isn't really very difficult at all.
2. The second Devil May Cry is probably one of the most boring, easy, unfun, and disappointing games I've ever played.
3. The third Devil May cry is too difficult to even give a chance in the standard edition, but the Special Edition tunes the challenge to a much more satisfying level. It's not perfect, but it brings it to a point where it's worth playing. It's a game where every death is attributed to your own lack of skill and not luck or cheap shots. In Ninja Gaiden I always felt like I was trying parts over and over again until I would happen to get lucky enough to pass. There were times that I just wanted to move on because it just stopped being fun. DMC 3 is rewarding in its difficulty, but still a bit too hard.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
TheRumblefish wrote:

There are problems with this assertion.

1. The first Devil May Cry isn't really very difficult at all.
2. The second Devil May Cry is probably one of the most boring, easy, unfun, and disappointing games I've ever played.
3. The third Devil May cry is too difficult to even give a chance in the standard edition, but the Special Edition tunes the challenge to a much more satisfying level. It's not perfect, but it brings it to a point where it's worth playing. It's a game where every death is attributed to your own lack of skill and not luck or cheap shots. In Ninja Gaiden I always felt like I was trying parts over and over again until I would happen to get lucky enough to pass. There were times that I just wanted to move on because it just stopped being fun. DMC 3 is rewarding in its difficulty, but still a bit too hard.

-Wes

I just suck at Devil May Cry! Especially the first one. I can't even get past the Black Knight boss. Sad I played the second one, it just wasn't fun. As for the third, I don't know, it looks harder then the first one, and is faster then...well almost everything.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: