The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HARDCORE GAMER
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Weirdly enough, if you're in an "odd" sport, you can get away with it. I played rugby in high school and college and since we were the oddballs of the jock world, we could get by without being labeled as jocks by the people who like to read.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
it still makes no sense to me - why bifurcate one's life like that? can't one enjoy hitting people, throwing heavy things and reading all more or less at the same time? it is high school after all, even your part time job is only 20 hours a week at most. what else are you going to do besides lift weights and read dead germans?

My answer to that: play tuba!
Come to think of it I got my "letter" for my varsity jacket for Marching Band.

I'm sure there's a ton of reasons why the true "scholar athlete" is rather rare. Ultimately it likely comes down to a matter of temperament. It's not a hard and fast rule, but I think the geek/jock split shows up in the population distribution.
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Tue Dec 18, 2007 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Weirdly enough, if you're in an "odd" sport, you can get away with it. I played rugby in high school and college and since we were the oddballs of the jock world, we could get by without being labeled as jocks by the people who like to read.

Yeah, rugby in America seems like it works that way. I worked with like half the OSU rugby team at one point, and they were a good balance of jock/geek. Pretty fun guys, all around, actually.
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

it was very strange when as a freshman in college i got stuck in the gifted and talented program with a small group of sensitive types and learned that "jock" was basically the other for people who liked to read. well that's not strong enough, so maybe a better correlation would be jock :: baby rapist. it was one of those weird moments where you let slip something in mixed company that you think is innocuous and it turns out that it was not only not innocuous but un-innocuous 2 tha x-treme. like i'd just taken a shit on the table or something, or they were racists and i'd just told them i was half black. so very very strange.

it still makes no sense to me - why bifurcate one's life like that? can't one enjoy hitting people, throwing heavy things and reading all more or less at the same time? it is high school after all, even your part time job is only 20 hours a week at most. what else are you going to do besides lift weights and read dead germans?
It's pure resentment for a perceived double standard of how the rules at school were enforced. You mentioned beating people up as a high school jock. As a high school geek I did the same occasionally, but I got detention and was told if I was seen hanging out at school with the other kid who was my partner in violence we would be suspended. You don't see much oficial punishment get doled out to the kids who are "important" to the team. I had one specific confrontation with a principal about that matter where I told him I'd break the bully's legs if he didn't get suspended for jumping one of my friends.

It's not what they do, it's that they get away with i.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno, i got suspended for fighting and i was a pretty decent starting OT for most of my time in high school, but i also went to a very small school. (and ho boy was it horrible to miss that game and get tortured by the coaches for a week) anyhoo, i got suspended for shenanigans during a model congress class trip.

anyway, the fighting i was thinking of were more parking lot battle in nature, as well as a round of beat up the burnouts when we were freshmen. (we did not violate the non-aggression principle in that particular case, for what it's worth - we just resisted the illicit imposition of force and formed a temporary defensive band. i.e. we jumped a bunch of stoner jerkoffs in the bathroom.)

i felt kind of compelled to stress that while i did play football (and track, and even some wrestling, which i sucked at) "worry not, for i was horribly unpopular and weird!"

there's a dissertation to be written in there somewhere.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here, in french canadiana, i often hear game execs and producers refer to these mysterious core gamers.

what are they the core of?
do they, themselves, have a core?
are they a core?

it is a mystery.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do they mean core like "core constituency" or do they mean core as in "dis be de 'ardcore jun'glist rekkid" ???

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish wrote:
here, in french canadiana, i often hear game execs and producers refer to these mysterious core gamers.

are they a core?

it is a mystery.

the core, i.e. biggest marketing demographic, that is, 18 to 24 year old males
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fish wrote:

are they a core?

it is a mystery.

shoot the core?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got suspended for flipping over a desk at a teacher because he was making fun of my tourettes he was like stop laughing

IM NOT LAUGHING ITS CALLED A VOCAL TIC
I THOUGHT TOURETTES WAS ALL FUCK SHIT COCKS
OH ILL SHOW YOU FUCK SHIT COCKS
*DESK FLIP*
paper ripping
stomp stomp stomp scream jesus christ suspended
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: