The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SOS: A PSiYDUCK, A SQUIRTLE AND THE POKEMON KINGDOM
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this may just be a clever way of NOT letting you ever use a big unique to get another one...but, I don't know, I'm almost thinking with Boss recruitment you DON'T have to leave space for them in your party since the dungeon run ENDS right then anyways.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
Problem is that I don't know the size of the boss I'm trying to get, so I basically have to solo. I don't think I have anyone small enough who's not useless.

Alternatly you could just kill off your other team mates right before the boss.

But yeah, the game doesn't tell you a whole lot. Like I need certain HM's and have NO IDEA where to get them.

You need all the bird bosses for certain dungeons? Hell... Perhaps I won't see all the dungeons.

EDIT: Also, the guide book said that the chance of recruitment is based on your level difference. The greater the difference between levels the higher the chance of recruiting.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
Yeah, this may just be a clever way of NOT letting you ever use a big unique to get another one...but, I don't know, I'm almost thinking with Boss recruitment you DON'T have to leave space for them in your party since the dungeon run ENDS right then anyways.

When you do get them, it does the same thing as every other recruit. "X wants to join. Give X a nickname?" I don't know if they actually join your current team or if it sends them automatically to the friend house, but I'm thinking it's the former.
Shapermc wrote:
Also, the guide book said that the chance of recruitment is based on your level difference. The greater the difference between levels the higher the chance of recruiting.

So wait, if my level is significantly lower I have a better chance of recruiting? Or does it only work for the upper end?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
LordGek

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, to see each guys's recruitment chances broken down in painfully exacting detail:

http://db.gamefaqs.com/portable/gbadvance/file/pokemon_fnd_red_pokedex.txt

(while this was written for the Japanese version of the game and in the Red Rescue FAQ section, I'm sure all of the info will be 100% accurate for the English versions of the game as well).

The real basics as I understand them:
If your leader (whomever you have as the leader that moment) gets in the final blow, you already have the appropriate friend area (sometimes, like with the uniques they'll bring it over themselves), and room in your team (not sure if this is a factor with boss recruitment), you have a CHANCE of recruiting said defeated Poke.

The odds of this actually happening are based on the pokemon's base recruitment rate (some are a LOT harder than others to recruit), your leader's level, and whether you're wearing the Friend Ribbon (an additional +10%). Not sure if level differential plays a part although I thought I heard once you must be a higher level than the poke you're trying to recruit. So Type Advantage, Rescue Team Ranking, damage of final blow, etc. have no effect in this calculation.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
You need all the bird bosses for certain dungeons? Hell... Perhaps I won't see all the dungeons.

so what's actually different between the dungeons? is it anything more interesting than what element of enemies inhabit each one?

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, DIFFERENT FROM MOST POKEMON GAMES, this game's dungeons do a decent job of mixing stuff up. While there are a few elemental themed dungeons, I'd have to say the majority were designed so its not just a "Fire Themed Dungeon" (load up your Water types) or something like all of the traditional Pokemon games.

Also, like in the Torneko or Shiren games, which creatues and how dense, what items and how often, which traps, will there be dungeon shops, etc. varies from dungeon to dungeon. Coolest of all, after you beat the game there are a few 99 level dungeons that reset you to level 1 (only while you are in them, of course) and will have almost all of the game's items to find (and probably a bigger variety of creatures than most of teh earlier dungeons).
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Need HELP badly. I wouldn't care if I were dead normally, but this dungeon (Northwind Field) needs Surf HM. I had to have it on me, and I don't want that to be lost for getting out of the dungeon. So... I'm not that far in, but it is pretty far into the game.

4(M)?60 0RFWY2?? MSP?H
?W??? ?5S?(M)?S? 9(M)9R?
??S?K 80P?-F?? W(F)R9(...)

LordGek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Need HELP badly. I wouldn't care if I were dead normally, but this dungeon (Northwind Field) needs Surf HM. I had to have it on me, and I don't want that to be lost for getting out of the dungeon. So... I'm not that far in, but it is pretty far into the game.

Unless I just missing something, for future runs at least, there is no reason to take a HM with you. Just teach a guy in your party the needed move IN TOWN and then put it nicely back in the safe. I guess if you REALLY have some awesome movesets setup and don't want to spare a move for that (does just holding the HM get you places, I totally missed that option). You only need the HM to get INTO the dungeon so no big concerns if the only guy with that move is knocked out as your progressing through it.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, you can just have the HM in your inventory. I don't want to teach it to either of my main characters (I pretty much use up all my PP by the end of most dungeons, if not then twice over) and the only other way to get in is by having it on your person.

As far as the knocked out option, is there anyway to have NPC poke not use a reviver seed when they die? I have one as a kind of insurance on me at all times (either for food or just a mistake), so killing a NPC poke will use that item up.

LordGek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering that as well! Can I give some NPC Poke "Do Not Resusitate or Use Any Extraordinary Measures"? I don't think so which is chhesey but then again will make you think twice when recruiting, eh? Oh, does anybody know if you can just send team members home early? While I'm not too sure its an option, if it is in Post Game you could just have a little expendable dude join you, open the way into the dungeon with theirHM, and then once you get inside, send them home immediately.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
I was wondering that as well! Can I give some NPC Poke "Do Not Resusitate or Use Any Extraordinary Measures"? I don't think so which is chhesey but then again will make you think twice when recruiting, eh? Oh, does anybody know if you can just send team members home early? While I'm not too sure its an option, if it is in Post Game you could just have a little expendable dude join you, open the way into the dungeon with theirHM, and then once you get inside, send them home immediately.

I usually think 3 or 4 times before recruiting. If I take on a pokemon I usually give them the "farewell" option if they are about to die unless they are a "team member" (i.e. someone I brought into the dungeon on purpose). I think I will dive deeper into the IQ options soon and find out if there is something like "don't steal my damn seed!"

LordGek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so my question then is can you "Farewell" an already established team member (fully recruited dude) to send them back home early or is that only for dismissing new folk just found in the dungeon? Even more importantly, if an established team member, would farewelling them send them back to their friend area or actually fire them completely?

(at work right now so I can't check this for myself)
LordGek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just confirmed you CAN do this!

Load up a "Key Master" (a flunky you teach the key HM to), and once you step into the dungeon just tell him to go home (Farewell him) and continue on your way through the dungeon. Evidently the Farewell Command means different stuff depending on who you farewell. I newly tamed dungeon dweller would simply be let go back into the wild but if its already a team member (hung out in a friend area), they go back home.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is very excellent news! This will help a lot

mcrackar

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:15 pm    Post subject: quicksave Reply with quote

hey every time i quicksave when i go to resume game it says "the game has not saved properly you will be sent back to your base and it will be recorded as you failing your last mission" it then say next time you should quicksave in a dungeon (which i have just done)
What is wrong? is my game screwed
LordGek

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Err, not to make nasty assumptions by your name there, but is this a legitimate copy of the game being played on a real GBA or DS or all through some sort of emulation?

I know in previous Mysterious Dungeon games that I would once in a Blue Moon get dumped back to town unfairly from a corrupted quicksave, but to happen everytime sounds like something is indeed funky there.

Even if a legitimate copy on a real system have you used any Gameshark or the like codes on the game that may have corrupted stuff?
mcrackar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my user name is actually a weird spelling of my last name. The game is a legitimate copy being played on gameboy with no cheats or codes. the error has not happened one but seven times in a row (every time i have quicksaved)
LordGek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done a full save lately, perhaps once you do a REAL save (not quicksave) it will straighten shoot out for future quicksaves?
mcrackar

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just tried normal saving works fine but immediately tried a quicksave still says your game did not save properly

i would also like to add that it does do the saving don't turned off and the your game has been quicksaved.
LordGek

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fark! Sounds like you got some sort of corrupt version of the game, that's farked up. One last deal, just to make sure its the game and not your system, why not try quicksaving your game on a friend's system and see if it still is funky.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a 'which Pokemon are you?' test on the Nintendo website to promote Pokemon mystery dungeon.

http://ms.nintendo-europe.com/personalitytest/enGB/index.html

I'm Bulbasaur!
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What the hell is a Treecko?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dark steve wrote:
What the hell is a Treecko?

You don't know? LOL it's a pokemon!

dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

man I wanna be cubone

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WANT BE HOLOGRAFK CHARZARD.
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

semi-related: is there a squirrel pokemon?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that is totally cute.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hijacked in the name of japanese squirrels:

the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT WHAT POKEMON ARE YOU??
OtakupunkX

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex, is that first squirrel an actual, non-Photoshop creature?

I want one.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

apparently!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The second one looks like it's probably really fast.

I have an albino squirrel living on my block, and one with no tail.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: