The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Shin Reading Thread Gaiden
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex, don't forget Galactic Pot Healer!

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2006 3:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i may go on a half.com spree and pick up the invisibles collections and the filth, and vimarama.

Thematically, Flex Mentallo is in the same trilogy as The Filth and The Invisibles, so you may want to check that one out too.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would consider adding the invisibles to my required texts lists but a) it might throw off the lovely balance of my two manichean classics and b) it has far too much backstory reading required. i am deeply impressed how one guy could mix so much into so little.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the invisibles is agonizing. at least trying to do it all in one go is. i want to be done with it, but i know the only way out is through the middle and out the other side. i'm nearly done with volume two.

flex mentallo is pretty great.

i bought a used copy of the complete hothead paisan. it is winging its way toward me.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

House of Leaves is a huge book! Um, yes.

I started reading it last night. About 2/3 through the forward my dog made a low and long howl. I have never heard my dog make this sound before and I still am not sure why he did it.

Needless to say, it scared the crap out of me. I couldn't fall asleep at this point so I just kept reading. The book is good so far in that it has managed to creep me out even before the dog howl. I don't really see the connection between this and silent hill... but I could see a connection between blair witch project.

Either way, it's good. I didn't sleep well at all because of it.

Swimmy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 17, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally picked up King Dork.

If he can write books as well as lyrics. . .

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey it's free text tuesday:

http://dhex.org/cuny/persuasion/The%20Pope's%20speech.doc

the comments at the front are from my professor. i disagree with him on the quotation selection, but i do agree the context at least gives reason behind what otherwise seems an ungainly error/complete assholery.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i once got drunk at a party and told a guy who was obsessed with fitzgerald that zelda wrote all of his books just to see if i could get him to take a swing at me.

it failed! i was forlorn.

That's the kind of crap I used to do, like when I tried to tell this die-hard Pixies fan that the best Pixies album was 'The Best of the Pixies'.

P.S. Dracko I read the other half of The Little Prince the day after. It was a damn sight better than the anime version which I found in Oxfam, anyway.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

House Of Leaves is pretty excellent. I was rocking 2 bookmarks at once lastnight!

GSL

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 bookmarks? Am I correct in assuming you reached the part where the editor suggests you peruse the Whalestoe letters in the appendix before continuing?

But yeah, the book is pretty awesome (I picked it up about a week ago). I can't say I've really read anything that has required that much effort out of me that wasn't a textbook; at this point it feels less like I'm just passively reading a book and more like unravelling a mystery or something. Although I really do have to disagree with the assertions that House of Leaves is anything like Silent Hill; I'll go even further and be a complete dick and suggest that anyone who would make that assertion has either not finished reading the book, or just didn't quite understand it. I do wholeheartedly agree with Shaper, however, in that it's like a much larger and far more expansive Blair Witch Project.

And maybe one of the reasons I'm enjoying it so much is because of what I consider to be a complete nose-thumbing mockery of the institution of literary criticism as a whole, which keeps me turning pages with absolute glee.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
2 bookmarks? Am I correct in assuming you reached the part where the editor suggests you peruse the Whalestoe letters in the appendix before continuing?

Yes, I am still working on pages 620-623 even though I skipped them last night and kept reading anyways.

And yea, you feel more involved than in most books. It more feel like a game than a book. As I was saying to you the other night, Blair Witch is what the "manuscript proper" feels like more than silent hill. I do see a small Silent Hill connection (world on top of a world) but... yeah.

Anyways, this is amazing. I am only on page like 80 though.

Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm getting very interested in this book. Has anyone read the Dictionary of the Khazars? From what you're saying it sounds like a similar approach to reader involvement.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Sep 26, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the little prince is a beautiful little book.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright! I can't decide which to read first, The Great Gatsby, or A Prayer for Owen Meany. So help me out guys.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Irving is a hack. I wouldn't prayer at all. You should stick to Fitzgerald between those two.[/i]
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

can you pick none of the above?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh shit

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tell me more about that book next to it
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this one?

it's amazing and reading it makes me want to cry because i wish someone'd given it to me when i was in high school.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought you meant the "essentials for creating vegetarian bean dishes" book.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that one's pretty good too!

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheRumblefish wrote:
Alright! I can't decide which to read first, The Great Gatsby, or A Prayer for Owen Meany. So help me out guys.

Gatsby, totally. It's seriously one of my top five favorites, and the very first book I'd point to if someone asked me to name the 'great American novel'. Plus, it's all about the death of the American Dream decades before anyone realized it was dead, which I find to be a pessimistically engrossing concept.

The fun thing to do is read this and follow it up with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. Looking past the whole drug haze and taking Thompson at his literal word that the trip was about finding the 'American Dream', the books are actually a lot more similar in theme than one would think.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I maintain that Thompson's best work is Fear and Loathing on the Campaign Trail '72.

A good companion piece to which is Up Simba, David Foster Wallace's essay about John McCain. It's included in Consider the Lobster, which I picked up recently and have been reading before bed. He also had a Dictionary-and-Language-Use article in the same collection that I have a bunch of problems with; even though in the end it's pretty good.

I need to finish House of Leaves. I'm pretty close (finished with the actual narrative bit, going through the appendices).
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh shit!!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never did comb though the House of lEaves appendices like i did the main text, though I always keep an eye out for the companion book. The.. something letters? I guess it's an expanded version of all Johnny Truant's mother's letters, or something.
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pelican Letters? They're all in the appendices in most editions of HoL, I think.
a_plus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 29, 2006 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that. For some reason I thought the Pelican Letters expanded on what's in HoL.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the little prince is a beautiful little book.

It's beautiful, yes, and I just love the history surrounding it and the de Saint-Exupéry. Also, I'm sure if I had gotten the role for the school play as a 7 year old instead of being forced to move to a different town, I would have become a nice, stable person, but that's the ego speaking.

The Teenage Liberation Handbook looks very interesting and I may just have to order a copy.

I've been going through Albert Camus' fiction and some of his plays and essays for one of my dissertation subjects.The Plague and The Myth of Sisyphus are the only two books I haven't had the leisure of reading before. It's for an examination of ethos in his fiction, as opposed to his life and essays. I figured it would be interesting simply because I can gather all the insights on broader topics he made into a key whole, though as I told my adviser, there is no guarantee of a satisfactory moral conclusion. Morality's a dull topic anyway.

Don't want to bore you with that, so as comics go, I picked up Vaughan's latest graphic novel, Pride of Baghdad. Vaughan, to me, is what Joss Whedon would be like if he was clever, witty, not a freakish pervert, knew how to make characters beyond his boring recycled 90s archetypes, had interesting concepts, bothered to do research once in a while, even when it comes to fictional material, without the pretentious atheist/anti-statist flattery, knew how to write an action scene and didn't look like a scab to boot. Pride of Baghdad was a somewhat dubious concept to me, being about a pride of lions escaping a Baghdad zoo during the current Irak war. The themes, mainly around freedom and such, were handled elegantly however, without much patronising in their political dimension and confident enough to allow the reader the liberty of forming his own opinions without it turning into trite "Bush is a monkey" propaganda. Unfortunately, it shows that this was Brian's first graphic novel. The pacing is uneven, the characters under-developed, and I honestly don't much care for Americanised vocabulary in my anthropomorphised tales of Eastern conflict. The artwork is fantastic, though, and all that is easily forgotten, though constantly present, in light of the development of the under-toned ideas. Not a bad start, or even a bad book, but not one to purchase full price either.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just stumbled across this (not that firefox plugin thing)

Quote:
Guerrilla Unschooling - Grace Llewellyn on why school can damage kids - Brief Article - Interview
Reason, Oct, 2001 by Rhvs Southan

Author Grace Llewellyn is an influential advocate of "unschooling"--learning from the world rather than in a classroom. After negative experiences in both public and private schools, the former English teacher published The Teenage Liberation Handbook: How to Quit School and Get a Real Life and Education (1991), a popular guide for adolescents who want to take learning into their own hands.

Now, with co-author Amy Silver, Llewellyn has written a book for parents who can't take their kids out of school but still want to play a larger role in their education. Llewellyn says that Guerrilla Learning: How to Give Your Kids a Real Education With or Without School (John Wiley & Sons) suggests "seeing the school system not as something that owns your kids' education, but rather seeing yourself, or your family, or your kids, as directing their education."

REASON intern Rhys Southan spoke with Llewellyn via phone in mid-July.
Advertisement

Q: How does school damage kids?

A: People learn passivity. People are controlled and become accustomed to control. So it constricts people into not thinking for themselves, not making choices for themselves, and not imagining very large possibilities for themselves and for the world.

Q: How effectively can you work within the school system?

A: I think the system is harmful. It's a bad system. For a lot of people, the ideal situation is just to get out. But my views have shifted in the last 10 years. I see people as more powerful than I did then.

Q: So you don't see schools as quite as powerful?

A: I still see them as powerful and as causing a lot of harm. But I think the more aware [students] are of how the system operates, the more power they have to be the people they want to be. And if parents support their kids, that offsets a lot of the damage. For too many kids, school is telling them how they should behave and telling them that if they don't do well in school, then they're nothing.

Q: Are parents often indifferent to their children's education? Or do they trust that school will take care of everything?

A: In my experience, there really aren't many indifferent parents. There are a lot of parents who are tired or have really busy lives. In general, they are intimidated by the system and the only thing they know to do is to say, "Johnny, do your homework!" Or, "Danny, make sure you're getting good grades!" They feel that is the best parenting they know how to do. I often get letters from parents who say, "I know [the handbook] was written for teenagers, but after reading it I realized that I'd been living my whole adult life as if I was still terrified of my math teacher."

Q: Are there public policy changes that need to happen before unschooling can really take off?

A: We could do with a lot less emphasis on testing, and on a larger scale, I would stop making schools compulsory.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:
I never did comb though the House of lEaves appendices like i did the main text, though I always keep an eye out for the companion book. The.. something letters? I guess it's an expanded version of all Johnny Truant's mother's letters, or something.

simplicio wrote:
The Pelican Letters? They're all in the appendices in most editions of HoL, I think.

a_plus wrote:
Yeah, that. For some reason I thought the Pelican Letters expanded on what's in HoL.

The Whalestoe Letters. Apparently some of the letters were in House of Leaves, but most are new.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd forgotten that the symposium is kinda strange...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just plowed through the first volume of The Invisibles.

I can see what you guys have been saying about it. It's fun, it's also a bit alterna-twee and to use a dhex word, manichean for me to be falling head over hells for it. Good enough that I'm going to pick up the rest of it though.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I picked up the Halo Graphic Novel yesterday. I'm hardly a Halo fan, but the comic does boast an impressive amount of artistic talent, and I really just wanted to get it for Tsutomu Nihei's artwork.

Nihei's tale in question is short and helps explain how Sergeant Johnson escaped from the first Halo ring. There's no speech whatsoever throughout the entire thing, which does help add a layer of depth to Johnson, complemented with the sheer shocked amazement he expresses on his face as he's swamped by Flood. This is Johnson without having to posture as a big-balled drill sergeant, kind of like how she showed real mellow, focused attention at the very beginning of Halo 2. The Flood in question are very impressively, and gruesomely, drawn, and Nihei's knack for architecture is appropriately put to use. However, it's pure survivalist action, yet another of Nihei's fortes, and doesn't really offer much answers at all.

The other stories are alright, especially the last one, drawn by Moebius. There's a gallery following the four shorts, including talents like Geoff Darrow. Overall, it's a well designed art book, the stories are fine, but not very insightful and is a satisfactory eye-candy treat for comic fans.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I can see what you guys have been saying about it. It's fun, it's also a bit alterna-twee and to use a dhex word, manichean for me to be falling head over hells for it. Good enough that I'm going to pick up the rest of it though.

oh man don't worry it gets pretty fucking golden near the end. actually, i would call it illuminatus for the 90s (if no one objects).

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not entirely off. It does get very confusing towards the end, but the point is made.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am reading rent girl by michelle tea and laurenn mccubbin. michelle writes these introspective narratives about being a dyke prostitute and laurenn illustrates each page in her iconographic outlines and flat colors style. i like it a lot.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that looks really nice from the little thumbnails, dess. I love hand-drawn seriffed text.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

have you even finished house of leaves?

a_plus, you should totally pick up rent girl. it's a gorgeous little book.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
have you even finished house of leaves?

No, but I had a coupon that was really good and it expired tomorrow. It was also 20% off (plus an additional 25%, so yeah)

a_plus

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, god, is his new book out? I loved house of leave and will probably have to get the new one as soon as i can.
GSL

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 3:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading the synopsis on the dust jacket, I'm not quite sure the new one interests me as much as House of Leaves did. That novel just had an amazing mystique to it that Only Revolutions doesn't quite seem to have, not at first glance.

I know, something about judging books and their covers, but still...
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greatsaintlouis wrote:
Reading the synopsis on the dust jacket, I'm not quite sure the new one interests me as much as House of Leaves did. That novel just had an amazing mystique to it that Only Revolutions doesn't quite seem to have, not at first glance.

I kind of just had to use the coupon on something. But what caught me about the dust cover is that it really didn't tell you anything except hint at it possibly being a love story. I like the "needing to be sharp and constantly thinking" aspect to reading his book, and, well, when I looked at the book I couldn't even figure out how to read it, so it looks fun. Plus that (11) all over my copy of House of Leaves has me interested in a possible connection(?).

Anyways, I won't be done with house of leaves for a while. I just like to have a good option of books to read. And HoL isn't really scaring me, so I am interested to see how he writes when he isn't trying to creep people out.

Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
And HoL isn't really scaring me

Yeah, it stopped being creepy at all for me after a 100 pages or so as well.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that I figured out House of Leaves last night. I mean, I am only on page 150-ish (chapter X) but I have a feeling I will be done soon. This book is pretty amazingly put together.

a_plus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

House of leaves was incredibly fun to read, but not really scary at all. After looking through Only Revolutions at the bookstore yesterday, I'm even more intrigued, but it looks like difficult/slow reading, just from the language used.

Was there ever a full-color HoL released? The new one has the color info on the publishing data page and it looks like it's printed in full color. I'd love a fancy hardcover release of HoL like that.
TheRumblefish

PostPosted: Sun Oct 08, 2006 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
I picked up the Halo Graphic Novel yesterday. I'm hardly a Halo fan, but the comic does boast an impressive amount of artistic talent, and I really just wanted to get it for Tsutomu Nihei's artwork.

Nihei's tale in question is short and helps explain how Sergeant Johnson escaped from the first Halo ring. There's no speech whatsoever throughout the entire thing, which does help add a layer of depth to Johnson, complemented with the sheer shocked amazement he expresses on his face as he's swamped by Flood. This is Johnson without having to posture as a big-balled drill sergeant, kind of like how she showed real mellow, focused attention at the very beginning of Halo 2. The Flood in question are very impressively, and gruesomely, drawn, and Nihei's knack for architecture is appropriately put to use. However, it's pure survivalist action, yet another of Nihei's fortes, and doesn't really offer much answers at all.

The other stories are alright, especially the last one, drawn by Moebius. There's a gallery following the four shorts, including talents like Geoff Darrow. Overall, it's a well designed art book, the stories are fine, but not very insightful and is a satisfactory eye-candy treat for comic fans.

I'm not a fan of Halo either, but Nihei's work as usual captivated me. Trance like with beautiful use of colors I truly admired the short story as a whole work in it of itself. I didn't pick up the book though, but thinking back on it I might go back and buy it later on just to own more of his body of work.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 4:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a_plus wrote:
Was there ever a full-color HoL released? The new one has the color info on the publishing data page and it looks like it's printed in full color. I'd love a fancy hardcover release of HoL like that.

Yeah, I was wondering about that too--do the 2-Color and Black & White editions referred to on the copyright pages actually exist, or are they only listed as something to further flesh out the book's histroy within the story's world? Because all I've ever seen is the Full-Color Edition. (I'm assuming the Incomplete Edition refers to Zampano's original manuscript).[/list]
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 8:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this full color one is a reprint. Originally there was a full color limited edition, and the regular editions were either blue or red. I had the blue one.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:26 pm    Post subject: COPYPASTA Reply with quote

The Desolation Jones trade was released recently, and it is a thing of beauty. For those out of the loop, its a noir-styled detective story, referential, but with a clear conceptual imagination all of its own. Michael Jones is an ex-MI6 secret agent, who after undergoing the Desolation Test that lasted an entire sleepless year and consisted of subjugating him to an endless barrage of hyper-violent footage (Clockwork Orange pushed further) is relocated in Los Angeles, which unbeknownst to the public at large, including its own citizens, serves as a prison for other intelligence community freaks and geeks. Michael decides to operate as an exclusively spooks-oriented private investigator, and in this story, must find the Dark (Black?) Grail of smut: Footage of Adolf Hitler's last, yet degenerate, days in his bunker. Of course, this being a Raymond Chandler sort of deal, things get more complicated than that, manipulation and secrecy is abundant, and Michael seems himself tested to his narrow limits. It's dark in tone to be sure, though in image, and is perhaps some of Ellis' best constructed fiction to date, with a degree of sinister empathy which is worth investigating. The artwork by J.H. Williams III is detailed and expressive, experimental at times even, and impeccably succeeds in dividing every day reality with moments of brutality and Jones' own hallucinatory trips, holding the story and its pacing together alongside the masterful writing, yet helps push the unreal concept further while contributing a sense of surreal inevitability and custody. Also, anything inspired by Howard Chaykin's fuck you letter to comics, Black Kiss, deserves the attention.

Author's commentary on the first issue.

The new arc supposedly follows Jones in the sexual underworld of Hollywood if I'm understanding correctly, and his hallucinations are supposed to be heavily thematically reliant on Philip K. Dick's own writing, and I'm looking forward to it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 21, 22, 23  Next
Page 10 of 23

Jump to: