The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
is that what the call it these days

i started playing darwinia! not sure what i think of it so far.

Here's what to think: It's a crappy Command & Conquer-alike with the things out of Tron in it.

DOODS

I finished Mario Galaxy

it's fucking incredible

Listen. I liken people's current take on Mario Galaxy to my experience with the film Porco Rosso. I was bored by Porco Rosso the first time around. It's a film about a fighter ace pig who fights Air Pirates in an amazing red biplane. Sounds incredible, huh. Trouble is, he spends three quarters of the movie getting his plane fixed.

The second time I saw it I watched it in the knowledge he was going to spend most of the film in a village fixing a plane, and enjoyed it thoroughly for what it was. I guess a much simpler way of saying this would be 'expectations have a way of strongly colouring your experience'.

Luckily, I was able to play Mario Galaxy after having read all you young hipsters' thoughts and opinions on the game. So I knew that structurally it wasn't going to be the 'rope' Tim Rogers pined for in his Action Button review and I knew the Hub world was going to have none of the mystery and wonder of Mario 64's. I also knew the story was going to be unfocused, uncalled for and largely uninteresting. And I wasn't surprised that the game was for the most part challenge-free, handing out extra lives like chocolates at christmas. So I got all my disappointment out of the way before I stated playing and was free to be impressed.

Which is lucky because this game is fucking incredible. I did the 10 most amazing things I've ever done in my life this year and I swear 6 of them were in Super Mario Galaxy. It's like nothing else ever made. Also, the stage design in the Mario 64-type levels is easily better than 90% of Mario 64. And Tim's 'rope' is there, if you look for it. Try the time attack on Space Junk Galaxy to see how well the stages flow!

Also it has that rare thing that the Super Mario games are supposed to strive for- that just moving Mario around is fun in itself. Specifically, jumping around small objects, letting their gravity catapult you around. I love noodling about on those saucers in Battlerock Galaxy. The two-player mode is pretty great, too.

I've been consistently surprised, delighted and astounded by this game. I even liked the story. Vaguely uplifting and emotionally detached incredible spectacle seems to fit this game to a tee.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Cycle wrote:
is that what the call it these days

i started playing darwinia! not sure what i think of it so far.

Here's what to think: It's a crappy Command & Conquer-alike with the things out of Tron in it.

i've only played the first level so far (and some demo levels) but it seems much more cannon fodderish to me!

also porco rosso is a brilliant movie. and i liked it the first time, so there.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I didn't say it wasn't brilliant.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I DIDN'T SAY YOU DIDN'T SAY IT WAS BRILLIANT.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle are you getting fresh with me
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Going on a road trip to Fort Worth, Texas for the next few days, so I hope to play as much of the Phoenix Wright series as possible with my sister on the way there and back. Should be fun!
sediment

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orcs & Elves is continuing to be awesome!

The controls for it are very effective for the phone I'm playing it on (I have a razr v3m, so the version of O&E I have is for BREW. all the screenshots on the official website look completely different from the version I've got, which is good because mine looks better.

Most of the extra weapons I've gotten are of really specific utility. The standby weapons - various forms of sword and your wand, Ellon - have proven most effective in nearly every circumstance. I've also picked up a crossbow (and upgraded it to a war bow), phoenix eggs (which are like grenades), dragon's breath (a flamethrower!) and gotten sword upgrades to a flaming sword, and a vorpal sword. Currently I'm in the process of acquiring a warhammer that uses the same reserve of magical energy that Ellon has.
You'll note half of my weapons are fiery in some way.
Less than half of the foes you fight take extra damage from fire. There are a few that take less damage from fire, too.. and relatively few take bonus damage from wand.

But yeah, the graphics are really simple, but nice - Carmack said in his blog he intended for this game to not be too taxing on the average cellphones, at all, and judging by the file sizes of other games I've got on my phone he was aiming for really solid compression too. It loads quickly and gives me something to do at the barber, or the mechanic, or at long stop lights, or really any time.

(I'm at the end of the Throne Room. That's like... level six? Yeah, six. There are three more portals in Gaya's lair so I think I might be leaving the dwarven fortress? Or there'll be some area not on the normal map. Or something.)

bleak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
Going on a road trip to Fort Worth, Texas for the next few days, so I hope to play as much of the Phoenix Wright series as possible with my sister on the way there and back. Should be fun!
daphny and dess should have just arrived in DFW! Maybe you could hang out with them

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have played a little Super Mario Galaxy (as a second player) and have found it fun. Boy, if I have this much fun controlling a pointer alone I just can't wait until I control Mario for myself. If I was to explain the job of the second player to anyone I would say it's sort of like Tails in Sonic 2 and 3; you are there to help player one collect things and to give them an additional leg up to access areas just out of their reach. I used the term "sort of" as it's not much of a leg up but hey, you can collect star bits and go "ooh, ahh" at the really really nice graphics and talk about the wii Shopping Channel's twee elevator music with your chum. Seriously, these graphics are the nicest I've seen on these current batch of consoles, why isn't anyone else doing this with the wii?

Oh, yeah, lazy developers.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see Super Mario Galaxy getting some love here. I enjoyed it, and was surprised when the reaction at that other forum was filled with disappointment.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, playing Galaxy as a second player is more than y'all are making it out to be.

You can freeze any non-boss enemy, big or small, by grabbing them. For large, rolling balls, often this means that one ball will roll into the stopped ball, causing both to break into collectable star bits. Also, if you click on Mario you make him jump, or, if he's in mid-air, execute a spin attack.

My cousin and I have saved each other numerous times using both of these features.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Seriously, these graphics are the nicest I've seen on these current batch of consoles, why isn't anyone else doing this with the wii?

Oh, yeah, lazy developers.

I dunno... maybe the sparse environment helps, fewer things to render?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the darwinians are wearing santa hats Smile it also snows during christmas, apparently.

how the hell do i move darwinians across islands! stupid lack of a real tutorial!

AMAZINGLY, there isnt even a faq on gamefaqs!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
how the hell do i move darwinians across islands! stupid lack of a real tutorial!

Yeah, this frustrated me to no end that they don't tell you how.

use the spacebar to unselect everything. put the cursor on a radar on the island that your darwinians are on that need to get off. you should get a target cursor to aim at a radar dish on the island they need to get to. click on the dish you want to send them to. have an officer direct them to the base of the dish.

I think that it's actually in the prelude that the game doesn't make you play. Anyways, yeah, that's how you do it.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I updated to the latest version of the game and it seems to have fixed the problem. Actually, the patch did so much! The game plays much better now, and the visuals are much more clear, though they don't look as radtastic... maybe I just need to adjust (plus I don't know how the other levels look with the patch). still very beautiful!

Also, the new interface would be fine if it didn't have those stupid circles on the side all the time to show you which units you have going, so i just went back to gestures which makes it go back to the clean, immersive interface. yay! had to restart the level I was on, but atleast I know what I'm doing now.

so yeah. yay!

guys i lost my credit card, where did i put it?
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:

It's not sparse later on though..
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i gave up on darwinia! I really wanted to like it, but I just had far too many problems with it. I enjoyed the initial few hours I spent with it, but I just don't think I can take this relationship further Sad

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
kirkjerk wrote:

It's not sparse later on though..

Hmmm. What would you say is the least sparse level? Like the most detailed stuff at the biggest distance? Even the

MILD SPOILER

big spinning tunnel thing of the final level didn't have that much "stuff" to draw.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunting Ground is pretty brilliant. It's so simple and engaging. I fished my first level and now I'm just decking the halls. I'm a bit shocked at the simple design being so engrossing.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hunting Ground? Never heard of it!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess the full titled is Dungeon Maker: Hunting Ground

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, that!

So I finally downloaded my FREE COPY of Half-Life 2 Deathmatch which is kinda fun. The best part is that everyone is created equal. You all start with the same weapons, once they're gone they're gone, but it doesnt matter since everyone uses the gravity gun anyway. Also, no retarded power-ups.

The server I was on was way too crowded, though. Often I died half a second after spawning. I'm hoping there are options for like TEAM SURVIVOR which would work much better, because plain ol' deathmatch seems to miss the point of the rest of the design.

Also, what should I buy off steam during this sale? The only thing I bought was Sin episode 1 because it was like $8 and came with the original sin (lol!!). Some of these other games look very interesting but I don't know if I want to shell out for them.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
original sin (lol!!).

Patched?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BY GOLLY, i hope so!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH SHIT

RERO

ANY OTHER AUSTRALIAN

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=Fraz4OhNh48

!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bullet Witch is pretty awful.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I had a gift card for games and I used it on Uncharted for two reasons: A) I figured I should buy at least one game for the PS3 this year, and B) because ryan and Wes were loving the game up so much.

Huge. Fucking. Disapointment.

I was talking with Wes about it right after he got it and I kept saying "It looks like it'll just be Tomb Raider, but with a Guy." And I was assured that it was better than this, and different. All kinds of other things were assured too like a really awesome believable plot.

Seriously, this is Tomb Raider if it controlled like Shadow of the Colossus and starred a guy. That's IT. Not much really separates this from other cliche ridden adventure games (or movies) involving treasure hunting. Top that off with awful gun play and I find myself exceptionally bored with this game. The only thing that separates this game from most other games is that the voice acting is pretty good. Too bad it's squandered on such a game.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the high point of blacksite was this:
http://www.jonesreport.com/articles/161107_video_game_alex_jones.html

everything else really fucking sucks.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dropped blacksite, installed crysis, and i'm only going to bed now.

wow.
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the more i play the tank game in wii play, the more it feels like a nes game with analog controls. bullets could be easier to track, though.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the more i play the tank game in wii play, the more it feels like a nes game with analog controls. bullets could be easier to track, though.

Yeah, I've only played it a bit, despite my endless thirst for tank games, I'm looking more for Tokyo Wars and less for Combat.

Combat and Armor Ambush, which was a lovely little head to head game on the 2600.

I've given up my dream of seeing a Tank 8, which was this Ancient (1976) arcade game w/ 8 players at once.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tank game in Wii Play, if fleshed out, given more options (like possibly the addition of checkpoints) and with online play, would be worth $20 bucks as a Virtual Console game.

Unfortunately it's pretty much the only really awesome part of Wii Play.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
The tank game in Wii Play, if fleshed out, given more options (like possibly the addition of checkpoints) and with online play, would be worth $20 bucks as a Virtual Console game.

Unfortunately it's pretty much the only really awesome part of Wii Play.

Yeah, though the pong game seems pretty jazzy.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I found ALL the games pretty entertaining, apart from that retarded POSE!! one. I'm not fond of fishing either. But the others were fun. But yeah, game would have benefited from some more depth, but then again it was a free game.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it a controller with a free game or a game with a free controller?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

controller with a free game

well, at some places. most places these days charge an extra $10 or so for the pack, but when it first came out, JB HI-FI sold it cheaper than buying a remote on its own.

so like, I know people with three copies of the game.

rero, did you watch that episode of THE ZONE? it even has a commercial for hey hey its saturday

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes I watched it. Boy memory lane is a fun place to go for a walk, especially when your tapes have so much fucking snow on them you can't make out jack shit.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Remember; he's muttley and you're not.

That guy was such a bogan, but he was the best of the lot. The host was a wanker but atleast he sound enthused most of the time, watching everyone else was about as interesting as watching paint dry.

Wish I could find more episodes. Needs a DVD release!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Adam left it really started going round the S-bend which was a shame. I think after the show ended is when Muttley started appearing on Totally Wild or something, I know he went onto another show. Dave was the voice of the SEGA cheat hotline and everyone disappeared into obscurity.

Cycle, I am feeling old now.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I remember the last few episodes which were real garbage. They were trying to do sketch comedy and it just wasn't funny and half of the time it wasn't even game related. The little conversations between Muttley and Adam were probably the most entertaining part of the show (before he left) and then they brought that chick in who didn't really help matters.

After watching it, I wondered where all of them are now. I guess most of them went on to do real jobs, though I'd be interested in knowing where Adam and Muttley ended up. Also, Amos Wong... he also wrote for Nintendo Magazine System which I still have a few issues of (from way back when Super Metroid just came out and such, and a few post N64 issues).

Great, now I feel old, too.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

crysis update: crysis is fucking awesome.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
crysis update: crysis is fucking awesome.

Yeah, it's pretty unbelievably great. Considering it was the only game I got for Christmas it's probably one I should have bought myself. Or paid good money for. I fucking love the shotgun and cloaking. Sneak up on a group of three or five wandering Koreans then open up fire on all of them, before they can even turn to hit you they're dead.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've had one weird graphical glitch (body double, basically, like a visible shadow always a little bit behind my movements) but no crashes or whatever. the motion blur really adds to the effect quite a bit more than one might think.

other weirdness: boats falling on you are deadly! so are a lot of things. i've had buildings fall in on me after they'd been rocketed and a few times i just couldn't get out. another time i was killed by a shelving unit. what gives?

man i spent the first part of the game just sneaking like a motherfucker. playing predator: the game without being predatory for the most part.

i like the explosive charges too. cloak, run up to tank, run away and BOOOOOOOM.

i imagine it's much harder if you don't spam the cloak but the combat is fairly ridiculous on the default settings. or perhaps i just suck.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got killed once by a body that I shot very close range with a shotgun: it bounced up then off a tree, then landed on me and killed me.

I also saw a few floating stains of blood in the air.

That's it though. No crashing and I get about 45-55 FPS with a custom mix of mostly high with a few medium settings.

SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
So I had a gift card for games and I used it on Uncharted for two reasons: A) I figured I should buy at least one game for the PS3 this year, and B) because ryan and Wes were loving the game up so much.

Huge. Fucking. Disapointment.

I was talking with Wes about it right after he got it and I kept saying "It looks like it'll just be Tomb Raider, but with a Guy." And I was assured that it was better than this, and different. All kinds of other things were assured too like a really awesome believable plot.

Seriously, this is Tomb Raider if it controlled like Shadow of the Colossus and starred a guy. That's IT. Not much really separates this from other cliche ridden adventure games (or movies) involving treasure hunting. Top that off with awful gun play and I find myself exceptionally bored with this game. The only thing that separates this game from most other games is that the voice acting is pretty good. Too bad it's squandered on such a game.

You're crazy insane. The only explanation I can see for this is that you don't like adventure movies.

Yes or no. Do you like Indiana Jones?

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love The Temple of Doom! The others are ok, but they need more awesome stuff like monkey brains.

Also, theme doesn't stop the gunplay from being terrible!

SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 8:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
I love The Temple of Doom! The others are ok, but they need more awesome stuff like monkey brains.

Also, theme doesn't stop the gunplay from being terrible!

Except for that the gunplay is great. Yeah, you stick to the wrong things until you get used to the cover system, but then it becomes pretty darn fun. Are you playing on hard?

You're right about it being a cliche ridden adventure movie, but I always thought that was kind of the goal of the game, making it hard to fault it for it. It seemed to me like the devs were attempting to make the perfect pulp adventure game, and as far as I'm concerned they succeeded. The negative side of this is that if you don't want to be the star of a pulp adventure movie you probably won't like the game.

The individual parts aren't groundbreaking, but the way they're put together to weave an exciting story told with perfect pacing fascinated me. Maybe it's not the same for everyone though!

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm mostly talking about aiming the gun sucks. The cover system is fine. The coversystem has nothing to do with the aiming and firing guns at people: which is the gunplay. I believe I'm playing on normal.

Also, having explosive barrels to make giant columns blow up and fall to create a bridge is awful. More so than anything that most adventure films do, even the bad ones. That seems to me like an exceptionally lazy oversight to leave in that could easily have been corrected by giving the character C4 or something as all the puzzles are so fucking obvious anyways. On that note, the puzzles are pretty bad so far too. They're all completely obvious, or the answers are literally told to you, and you spend more time than you should with the only goal being to get up to the top corner of the room which you can see, but not reach, so you can press a "button" that the residents of the ancient civilization made.

With Ryan being a history buff you'd think he'd be more inclined to nitpick like this.

seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I beat Killer7.

I dug it up because of a youtube video of a Hispanic man playing Russian roulette with the President, who promises to tell him "how to hit on women and never fail" if he wins, and because there was an anime sequence with some Power Ranger clones called the Handsome Men who are drawn by a man named Trevor Pearlharbor (coolest name I'd seen all year), followed by a battle against said Power Rangers with booming Mega Man music.

I figured if the rest of the game could be as great as that sequence then I'd be worth checking out at the very least. This wasn't the case, though.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's like the intro to a really great review. Tell me more.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 50, 51, 52 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 51 of 85

Jump to: