The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swimmy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Swimmy: out of curiosity, what kind of Gameshark codes did you use? I still remember the crushing disappointment I felt with that game; I loved its atmosphere and visuals, but I hated the gameplay.

I just used infinite health and ammo--those are the only ones available without a codebreaker (besides archive item codes), and they're more than enough to get by in 8 hours rather than the 20 you'd need otherwise.

There are still some missions that are hard because you either have to do them in a certain amount of time or the invincibility is irrelevant. For instance, any time you have a partner tagging along, you have to be careful because they can still be killed. Also, the two missions as the little girl Harumi are hard because she never gets physically attacked, she just curls into the fetal position and gives up, so it's instant death. And if you don't have a weapon, you'll be running away a lot.

But that's enough. The impossible missions with crawlers that kill you in two hits will suddenly be a breeze, and all of the partner missions have good waiting points for your defenseless friends, so you can make it through. And it's completely worth it. I'm still mindblown. There are some moments in this game that you just have to see.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More Diablo II! We convinced a friend who often has to work nights (he's a caretaker for a kid who needs to be on a respirator when he sleeps and somebody there to make sure it doesn't fuck up) to get Diablo II and last night he got on for the first time. Rather than continue to play our higher-level characters and thus lengthening the amount of time until he catches up, we started over with new characters. Clicking on shit to get shiny stuff is a pretty good formula, so long as its properly balanced.

And that's what Diablo does so well (although I can understand people who prefer the original to the sequel, because the sequel is very very Blizzard for both good and bad), it allows you to feel like you're progressing and getting interesting new stuff while feeling like you have to do work to get there. It's maddening that all of the various Diablo clones manage to muck this up somehow, usually by unbalancing item generation. I know I've ranted about this before, so I'll stop here.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy shit gallop.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked Gallop a lot until I saw the stage 3 boss. And the rest of the game. Ooooooghh.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've never seen screenshots or video of anything past the third boss. i'm not convinced there is anything after.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm getting closer to beating noiman. i died at his tank phase again, but now i think i've worked out what strategies to use. up to that point, at least. stage four of strider is still beyond my grasp. i've managed to pass it before, but i can by no means do it consistently.

i'm amazed i solved the "clockwise" puzzle in dungeon master.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

reached the third boss of gallop. killed me right away, but fuck if everything i've seen so far isn't an amazing roller coaster of energy. this game is positively gleeful. so far.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I popped in Cybernator and had a go. It'll take some getting used to these controls, and right now I keep on dying right after getting those missiles on the second stage, but I really like the weight it has, along with the mysterious powers of dash-punching. The manual sums this up:

Quote:
A Button
Press simultaneously with the Control Pad for a quick attack thrust. Enemies who fear this maneuver call it the "rampage rush" or "roller dash". The last words heard from many referred to it as the "AAAAAAAAAAAAGH!"

Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hexen done now onto the Deathkings... expansion.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

is cybernator contra or valken?

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valken.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2007 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks. i was struggling to remember any contra that has a "rampage rush".
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find myself oddly enjoying the hell out of Resident Wiivil. It's just the addition of using the Wiimote that, I find, makes the game 100% more fun to play than before. At work I find myself unconsciously pantomiming aiming and shooting a Ganado with my right hand. Whoa!

Also, I find that I prefer to play the game standing up, which is great. Now if only my TV sat a little higher...
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

r-type is the modern frankenstein.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I so, SO love the aesthetic of R-Type. I don't think I'd be very good at it; I'd like to play it with a cheat code just to see it all.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I so, SO love the aesthetic of R-Type. I don't think I'd be very good at it; I'd like to play it with a cheat code just to see it all.

this is, incidentally, how i saw all the endings of r-type final. i recommend it, because the actual level design isn't that good (with the exception of stage F-A).

dinosaur jungle and noiman cascade update: still kicking my ass. i'm only allowing myself to play one credit a day; there's a lot less pressure to outperform myself, if that makes any sense.

dungeon master is getting tiring. i love the game, but i think i may take another indefinite hiatus.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dess, which path are you taking when you play Hard Corps?

Edit: Also, I think it would be interesting to see what an arcade game port that only allowed you to play the full game once a day would be like. It would let you play the other stages as much as you want for practice, of course, but you'd only get one shot at the whole thing per day. Hm.

Last edited by JasonMoses on Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm taking the "save the research center" path because i used the "follow deadeye joe" path when i one-lifed the secret ending back in the day.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 09, 2007 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so yeah, i've been unable to make any headway against the third boss and it might well be a brick wall for all i know, but fuck if the first three stages of gallop aren't one of the most exhuberant play experiences i've had in a long time.

it's a post apocalyptic flying car highway chase game, and the idea is that the further to the right your ship is positioned on the screen, the faster the game scrolls. (sort of like kingdom grand prix.) you've got a forward shot and a homing laser that you can use to kill enemies coming from other directions without decelerating, but it has a limited charge. the goal is to clear each stage with the fastest possible time, which means playing with your ship dangerously right and barreling through the stage at high speed, enemies chasing you and homing missiles snaking towards you, huge sprites bursting into flames and careening out of the sky.

my current best times are 1'22'98 on stage one and 1'38'36 on stage two. whether i'll ever clear stage three i don't know but i do know that what i've played so far is amazing.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing Second Sight again after stopping due to frustration. There are some really great ideas here, and full of moments where the game is clever or the game requires you to be clever. Unfortuantely, it's frustrating as all fuck thanks to loose controls, slow responses and the fact that if you screw up (which is very easy to do), you have to do a bunch of crap all over again.

EDIT: Nevermind, ok the game is still cool, but certainly suffers from some problems that could have been easily fixed.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i would be playing arcanum if the power didn't keep going off in my apartment.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played a bunch of Doom 3 last night because my dad got stuck. It was when the two Barons of Hell appear, just before you go to hell for the first time. So I ended up playing through the entire hell section of Doom3, and you know what? It's pretty fun! There's space to move around and dodge and go crazy, and It actually feels like a Doom game. Then I left hell and it got boring again Sad
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 11:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love that battle with the two barons. It was very nerve-wracking. But yeah, I wish the hallways were a bit more roomy. There's an area just before you fight Sarge when the game becomes—utterly and completely—a kick-ass version of classic Doom. For those few minutes, everything is glorious.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have beaten noiman cascade. no bombs, and i had two lives left afterwards - which means i must have lost three: one to taurus, one to gemini, and one to the helicopter. huzzah! the jungle stage is pretty amazing.

speaking of jungle stages, i think the amazons in strider are saying "hookah beast and kabuki jungle". i'm not sure what this means.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally put all of the Deathkings of the Dark Citadel to rest, their corpses rotting in the sun and apart from missing the hub 1 secret level and the gaffe with the Heresiarch, where I mistook my flechettes for quartz flasks like a goose killing myself, I feel pretty good about how I played. Maybe I should go play some Heretic now or something.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been playing the Ikari Warriors games. Yes I included POW in that list. It was kinda sads how the series completely degenerated.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Monster World IV. It really loses steam once you get to the Ice Pyramid, which effectively forces you to go through 3 very similar and fairly boring dungeon areas in a row, and it follows this up with another area packed with aggravating platforming, including moving conveyor belt platforms over spikes and the like. Worse yet, the last area consists of walking left-to-right, fighting enemies and previous boss encounters in the most unapologetically filler-like way possible, followed by a final boss that forces you to take damage - if you are at low life, it's very possible that you'll simply have to replay the entire thirty-minute area again no matter how well you play at the actual boss fight. It's all surprisingly hateful and terrible, and I was a little shocked that the game sucked as bad as it did, considering how breezy and imaginative it was initially.

Edit: The music is great, though! I especially liked how the composer worked motifs from the first Monster World into some of the music at the end of the game.

Last edited by JasonMoses on Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah. i've cleared the pyramid (other than the tedious enemy hallways there are some good ideas there) but i lost steam at the last stage and have never finished it.

it seems as though i bought a copy of shadowrun that can't save. boo!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
I love that battle with the two barons. It was very nerve-wracking. But yeah, I wish the hallways were a bit more roomy. There's an area just before you fight Sarge when the game becomes—utterly and completely—a kick-ass version of classic Doom. For those few minutes, everything is glorious.

Yeah, 'Central Processing.' That's actually the name of an area from classic doom, so I was hoping there'd be a couple of sections where you revisit the locations of the original, but there didn't seem to be.

It didn't take Sarge very long to turn from a human into a giant Strogg-esque flesh-tank, huh.

I kept laughing at the demonic voices you keep hearing that say 'SARGE WILL KILL YOU!' and so on. They didn't exactly push the boat out when they were trying to come up with snappy dialog,
dark steve

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
yeah. i've cleared the pyramid (other than the tedious enemy hallways there are some good ideas there) but i lost steam at the last stage and have never finished it.

it seems as though i bought a copy of shadowrun that can't save. boo!
is this the sort of thing where you could rip open the cart and replace the battery?

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably! I've been meaning to go through my NES games at least and replace their batteries and doing some poking around, it seems like it's something that's relatively easy to do on SNES carts as well.

Mainly I want an excuse to buy a soldering iron.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I’ve been playing a ton of games as Toups and Thatbox have been at my house for nearly a week. The star of the party was Carsaconne for the 360. My wife even got in on quite a few games. It was amazing. We also power-gamed through most of Raw Danger in a sitting and then went to see Transformers (Raw Danger is much better than Transformers!). We messed around with a bunch of games at Wes’ house (like CD-i games and Michigan which I now need to get a copy of). Then as the last crowning jewel of the visit we played through Silent Hill 2 (my 6th time through it).

Fantastic times all around, and I don’t even know where to head next.

OH, yeah, I finished The Darkness and it has some really excellent points, but it’s drowning in a sea of mediocrity. I watched Toups play through the first 2/5 of the game and realized that overall its not that good, but it does have some really excellent moments and touches. I guess that I would be willing to trade/part with this game if anyone’s interested.

Oh, and bits of Shadowrun all over the place. I look forward to getting more time with the game soon.
Swimmy wrote:
Shaper told me he beat the game over the span of a year with his wife, but that's not how it's meant to be played. There are too many characters and too many scenarios, and most people would lose track. But the game's too frustrating to just sit down and play. A gameshark turned this into one of the most rewarding gaming experiences I've ever had. Really.

You're probably right as I can't remember heads nor tails of the story. I basically remember the basics and little bits and pieces. But the true awesome is like you say: learning the shibito personality and all the neat bits of gameplay related narrative are excellent. You really feel like you’re in this horrible situation. Anyways, yeah, playing the game straight w/o cheating isn’t really the right way to play either.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
aerisdead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really didn't like Rule of Rose.

I don't ken how Jennifer can kill monsters with an axe but won't just fucking beat the shit out of those kids. A demand to avoid combat completely would have made way more sense - other stupidity includes using an axe to kill a bunch of monsters that a wooden door tied with ropes demands, and being fenced in by fences that were roughly a foot tall for some other irritating battles.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 12, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been playing earth defense force 2 on the ps2. i was considering getting the xbox version, to actually have another game for the console, but the second game seems to be regarded as better by a lot of people, and it's much less expensive too.

i am enjoying it. there aren't many 3d games that focus on crowd control, at least that i can think of. i like that when i miss a giant ant a building collapses in a cloud of dust.

i don't like that when the camera locks onto something, like the ufo in stage 7, it becomes impossible to attack the enemies who are right in front of you, shooting. or impossible to see at all, if you're in the tank.

and i don't really like playing as pale wing, the flying character who doesn't appear in any of the other games in the series. maybe i just need to give her time.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rather than work on cracking game-ending Judge patterns, I've been practicing my positioning on the 3rd Area's final enemy. I've found a spot where I can shield the thing to death and avoid the homing lasers without moving.

If I had to compare Magnificence to a US Supreme Court Judge it would probably be Earl Warren.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about Warning Forever?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i thought judgement silversword.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, the Genesis port of Roadblasters finally came in the mail today (apparently the post office sent it back the first time they mailed it). It's fucking gorgeous and sounds fantastic. It's really a lot less forgiving than the NES port -- you don't get anywhere near the same amount of bonus reserve fuel (the NES port would basically fill you up if you had a 10x multiplier), for example, and I don't really understand how bonus points are doled out yet.

I'm also finding it really hard to steer, and thus aim. It became a little easier once I read the manual and discovered that I didn't actually have to bother accelerating, but it's still pretty rough. In my hazy, rose-tinted memory of the arcade version, the steering wheel is fantastic and responsive, and you can really perfect the art of hitting a car in the other lane in the middle of a turn. Probably I was about as terrible at the arcade version as I am at the Genesis port, though, and my memory is clouded by how easy the NES port is.

Overall, a damn good port that's very faithful to the original. I'm delighted to own it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can get pretty accurate with the d-pad after a while. i've never played the arcade version, so i don't know if it's just me.

i felled godzilla in edf2. it was actually the first stage i've died in (while not playing with pale wing), but that's partly to blame on shooting a rocket into a tree that was three feet in front of me.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

Ooh, that does sound right.

I've been playing Heboris Unofficial Expansion. I hope someone ports it to the DS or something, because the alternative to Tetris DS, Lockjaw, is so boring and sterile that it damn near borders on unplayable.
Ethoscapade

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 4:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
because the alternative to Tetris DS, Lockjaw, is so boring and sterile that it damn near borders on unplayable.

the guy who made that? he has aspergers.

he's also the moderator of both pocket heaven and gbadev.org forums.

he codes like a madman, and well, but suffice it to say that an aspergers individual probably shouldn't be in charge of all parts of game design (as in, stopping somewhere short of the realm of aesthetics).
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
I hope someone ports it to the DS or something, because the alternative to Tetris DS.

YES! With single cart multi-player too please.

not a zombie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
dessgeega wrote:

Ooh, that does sound right.

Yeah. I picked up a copy of the Happy Fields Project reissue from Play Asia when they had it in stock. It's leagues better than most commercial shooters. None of the cheap screen filling death beams you'd find in an arcade shooter ala Stikers et al.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I uh, played through the first loop of Strikers 1945 recently - there was not a single screen-filling death laser to be found! And... I'm having a hard time thinking of another recent arcade shooting game that does, honestly.

Also I kind of figured that tepples had aspergers or something when I saw this video.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
I'm having a hard time thinking of another recent arcade shooting game that does, honestly.

While not death lazers, almost every Cave game has screen filling hell of bullets. The only example I can think of with near screen filling off hand are Raizing games (Battle Garraga and A.P.B)

JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, but how are screen-filling bullet waves "cheap" compared to what's in Judgement Silversword? The bullet patterns are really similar to what's found in Psikyo games, so I'm just wondering where not a zombie is coming from, here.
not a zombie

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
I uh, played through the first loop of Strikers 1945 recently - there was not a single screen-filling death laser to be found! And... I'm having a hard time thinking of another recent arcade shooting game that does, honestly.

I was thinking more of 90s shooters Aerofighters series, Raiden Fighters, Cave's ilk (ESP Ra.De?) and I just recently played a strikers that had some screen filling laser shot. It could have been any one of the sequels that all sound the same. For clarification, it's not bullet patterns I have a problem with, but wide, solid laser shots that take up a third of the screen.
In many ways Judgement Silversword feels like an older shooter (or maybe it could just be the pallette choice), minus the cheap tricks that seem to be there for no reason other than to get a couple extra quarters off of you. That's not a problem with modern bullet hell shooters, though I agree.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

judgement silversword is a pretty neat game. someday i would like to play it on real hardware.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the stages in edf2 are starting to get interesting. fighting off a legion of ufos while war of the worlds style walking death machines crawl across the plains toward you, a claustrophobically tight tunnel with giant ants pouring out of one direction, giant spiders the other. is it just me or are tanks completely useless?

PostPosted: Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand what the hell the point is with Ikari Warriors III. I appreciate a brawler that has attacking in 8 directions instead of left and right on a few planes, but this doesn't hold together very well. Maybe it's the one player, but this feels like a it's not quite there.

Also POW isn't as hot as I remembered either. I ought to turn off the MAMe and check the NES version maybe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 33, 34, 35 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 34 of 85

Jump to: