The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

treasures of your collection.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sawtooth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had no end of trouble getting psx emulators to work on my mac. I long for the days of Connectix again.

I might tackle that whole can of worms over break.

edit: oh duh this is dos.

I'll see how virtual pc rolls with it. I might have to switch back to 98SE, I don't think 2000 is a very workable solution on my computer.

Last edited by sawtooth on Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sawtooth wrote:
I've had no end of trouble getting psx emulators to work on my mac. I long for the days of Connectix again.

They are not too hot on my PC either. They can't stay stable.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how creepy is that little dude's head in the corner of the dialogue box?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's your "tone" indicator. There's five settings, from "Angry" to "Ass kissing". It affects the way you phrase your dialogue... from "GET ME A RADIATION SCANNER!" to "Would you happen to have a radiation scanner I could have?".

The one in the picture looks neutral.

Although, again, I've never noticed any real point to it. Some of the high-ranking crew will get all uppity with you if you don't use the ass-kissing mode, I guess.

Also, the already ugly-looking character models have a weird habit of morphing and bending (on the PlayStation version, anyway). Add in the occasional texture errors on their skins, and the way that you sometimes have multiple NPCs occupying the same space, and they can become true cthulian horrors!
wourme

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered Sentient the other night from Half.com after hearing about it for the first time in this thread. $3 for a copy that's supposedly in good shape.

I've almost ordered that Sentinel game several times after hearing it discussed here. I probably will, eventually.

I wonder whether the market value of Growlanser: Generations is going to shoot up now that Working Designs is officially closed. Hearing that sad news today made me want to play Parasol Stars again. (All of my HuCards are treasures.).
Lackey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 5:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I somehow managed to actually get the PC version running. I'm not sure if the colours are broken or if it's just the graphics mode.

Regardless, I will report on my progress!
sawtooth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

make a new thread!

I'll join you um.... during finals week. hah!
Szczepaniak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought sentient for like £5 years ago, having loved the PS1 demo.

It's ambitious, but I never got anywhere. There is simply too much to do, and I get lost easily.

I mean, sure some people ask you to do stuff. But they don't explain how you're really supposed to do it.

I have never gotten very far. And then I die. For example, the chief engineer says snoop around to see what you can find. WTF does that mean? I wonder around, trying to ask people questions, and eventually he returns and says he can't trust me. I mean, WTF?! At least tell me what snooping involves.

It's problem, is that is doesn't really explain the gameplay rules, so you know what to do.

It's still interesting. I actually read an ending FAQ, and it's quite possibly the most deranged thing ever.
sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hell. the download link got replaced.

this is probably not worth 10 dollars.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played it for a few minutes yesterday, while waiting for my PC to go through scandisk so I could judge Ludum Dare entries.

Can... can you DO anything in that hedge maze? Or do you just wander for much too long before you wake up?

I'm not hitting FAQs until I've crashed us all into the sun a few times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
purplechair

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2005 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to find your way to the centre. The end is marked by a large set of golden gates. Then it's cutscene time.
Lockeownzj00

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2005 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two notes:

one, psx emulation is often completely functional, or mostly (for all practiacl purposes) functional. with just epsxe, the right plugins, and the right settings guide, you can play your games at an even higher quality than on your PSX--that is, if you so wish to turn on options like sprite smoothing, etc.

two, sentient looks very, very intriguing. Reminds me of Facade, in a way. Except this was made first.
player 2

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumping games into higher resolutions or using a sprite filter does not necessarily make them better looking games.

"It is a peaceful way of understanding life, to play"
_Marcel Duchamp
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
one, psx emulation is often completely functional, or mostly (for all practiacl purposes) functional. with just epsxe, the right plugins, and the right settings guide, you can play your games at an even higher quality than on your PSX--that is, if you so wish to turn on options like sprite smoothing, etc.

Well, on average I can get PS1 emulation running really well after about 20 min of tinkering. But! that will only last for 2 hours at the most, then, for what ever reason, it will suddenly be too fast with the frame rate sky rocketing. I did nothing to make this happen, it just does. Then it takes 10 - 20 min of tinkering to make it work at the right speed, and I don't know what I do to fix it (the settings will end up exactly the same as before the problem happen). SO it is almost good for me.
friedchicken

PostPosted: Thu Dec 22, 2005 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's odd. I got ePSXe (?) running on this most questionable of questionable computers I use here at work, with no effort at all, and after getting several grave looking errors that ended up having no bearing at all all on whether or not it ran.

Anybody know if reasonable PS2 emulation exists? SHOCKING!
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I can add my 20th Anniversry Ed. GBM to this thread. I don't know if it quite meets the standards though.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am severely pissed off that I have lost my copy of Deus Ex, but thankfully, and fortuitously, I stumbled upon my copies of Starship Titanic and Starsiege.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Dec 23, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Well, I can add my 20th Anniversry Ed. GBM to this thread. I don't know if it quite meets the standards though.

You sir, are a fool. You bought not one, but two overpriced, undersized Game Boys. You should sell me your old one for $40

-Wes
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2005 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
You sir, are a fool. You bought not one, but two overpriced, undersized Game Boys. You should sell me your old one for $40

Sorry, gave it to my wife as a gift for her to use on public transportation.

Funny story! I was playing FFIV at a Xmas party on my GBM and I got asked not once, but twice if that was the "new PSP." Ha!
sawtooth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lockeownzj00 wrote:
Two notes:

two, sentient looks very, very intriguing. Reminds me of Facade, in a way. Except this was made first.

Keep in mind, I have a mac. We had nigh-perfect psx emulation, 1998-2001, but since os x only Flarestorm and PCSX (test version 3) have cropped up to replace Connectix Virtual Game Station, and they're kind of... flaky. I'm home right now; I'll probably root out our old 9.1 install disc so I can boot into os9 and play metal gear solid again.
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rez, bitches!
B coma

PostPosted: Wed Dec 28, 2005 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:
Rez, bitches!

I found myself a copy too... just a month or so prior to the sudden limited stock dicovery. Fortunately, I paid almost as much as that asking price if you disregard shipping.

I also treasure my mint condition NES Power Set I found in its original packaging. All I was looking for was one in good working order, and now I have all of the orginal component cables and the eightiestastic pack in poster to boot! All for a reasonable price too. If that wasn't enough, it came with a copy of Zelda II, battery replaced and all.
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To go back to an earlier subject; I just got my copy of Sentient in the mail yesterday. I will need to invest some time in playing it.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently, I was quite happy to find old classics of my childhood, which is to say Monkey Island 1 and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade. Better still, I found them both in EGA and updated VGA versions, me being far more familiar with the EGA ones. Also found Loom, also in EGA and CD version (though considering desgeega's consensus, I'll have a go at it in EGA, as I've never played it before).

I thought I'd bring up this for a good reason: Which do you suppose are better between the two? EGA or VGA? I hadn't played the VGA version of Last Crusade until now, and I must say, it feels, well obviously, different, but not necessarily in a good way. Too colourful, perhaps. Maybe it's just my sense of nostalgia toying with me, but I feel that the game sort of loses in potence because of it. Funnily enough, I never had this problem with the CD version of Monkey Island, but here the difference is so striking it almost becomes alienating. Don't get me wrong, I think it looks gorgeous, and I'll probably play it through a number of times to get a feel for it, but I suppose the stark darkness of the Venitian catacombs and the castle, not to mention the Grail Temple left such an impression on me when it comes to the older version, and I don't think I can find it again here. Maybe it also depends on the title, of course.

Incidentally, I'd just like to say, after playing it again, that Fate of Atlantis is over-rated and probably not as good as Last Crusade. It is quite excellent in design, but it falters when it comes to scripting or even character. Even the castle guards in Last Crusade have more personality than most characters in Fate of Atlantis, who really seem to be boring cut-out stereotypes (Oh hey, a mad doctor with a crap accent. Some Aryan with a gun. Annoying, loud love interest. Is it just me, or is Dr. Jones just plagued with one of the worst tastes in women?). I don't know, it just feels all so clichéd and, well, American, in a deragotary I hope you'll excuse me for. It borders on self-parody and the slight tongue-in-cheek feel and guile wit that I could find in the Indy movies and the Last Crusade adventure game come of as forced here. I even feel that despite the choices of paths and multiple fashions to complete certain puzzles, Indy 3 is far more open and interesting in that regard. I even appreciate how unforgiving that game can be if you make poor decisions or decided to generally try and fist-fight your way through.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like last crusade for pretty much the reasons most self-identified "adventure gamers" hate it. that is, exploring mazes, sneaking past guards, and occasionally bare-knuckling them. i appreciate an adventure game that feels like an adventure and not just a string of puzzles.

(also the ending of fate of atlantis didn't really make any logical sense.)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 29, 2005 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I loved it because it felt open. The maze that was the catacombs is possibly one of my strongest childhood gaming memories, and I was amazed at the time by how many options were left at my disposal, the best example of which was probably the castle, where you had disguises, wit and bribes in all kinds of forms to get your way through. I always enjoyed revisiting it to see how else I could get past certain points, and if I got into a fight, so be it. I appreciated though that the fights weren't made easy and you had to keep your health in check. It was my first ever real experience in gaming, let alone adventure gaming, and replaying it now, I'm still very impressed by the amount of options and finer details planned within. I know what you mean, though, those phases helped make it feel like a true adventure. At the time, I was often called upon by other members of my family to help them out wth the maze because of my seemingly inate sense of orientation. I regretted there wasn't an action-oriented, death-at-every-turn scene involving the tank chase in the desert and still do, to be honest.

My query though, seems to be one of ambience and style. I remember honestly feeling like the catacombs and Grail temple where eerie and the castle oppressive, as a child, and it seems that this updated version possibly makes it too colourful. Maybe it's a question of less is more, that it feels like I'm playing the same game with two radically opposed artistic designs which make the whole experience entirely different to me.

And Fate of Atlantis suffers from a number of things which make no sense, the first one being the intro where for no apparent reason, Indy tosses himself through the top window of one the main buildings of the campus he works on, and some often ridiculous puzzles (Like having to scare Trottier). I could just be bitching about the Team mode here, though. I'll have to play through again opting for the Wits or Fists paths.
Lackey

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 1:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I generally find the EGA versions to be better, not for the amount of colours, but because the art is much cleaner. The VGA editions look pretty much how you'd expect backgrounds painted over already-perfect-for-their-format backgrounds to look.

Plus it loses the vibrancy of the full saturation colours mixed with black in the original versions of Loom and Monkey Island.
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a related subject, because I picked it up on my old SNES while skulking around the attic, I'm going to say that for all intents and purposes, Another World is an adventure game.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

half-life 2 is an adventure game. discuss.

(i havn't played half-life 2.)

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Play Half-Life 2.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dunno if i'd call it an adventure game. there's not a lot of interaction in one sense - you're just pulled about from piece to piece. and there's really no exploration, yer just getting fucked over by the tides of your time and place. which is the larger point, i'd like to believe.

half life 2 is a fable.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an adventure game with all the needless interaction/fumbling removed?

I mean -- the pacing of it, the story pieces, etc, all feel more like an adventure game than, say, Quake.
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seriously.

But are you thinking of the physics puzzles and the linearity and set pieces? I guess I can see where you're coming from, but for me HL2 was all about flow. Maybe adventures would be too, if they didn't focus on backtracking so much and instead constantly pushed you into new environments.

Somebody needs to make an adventure game that I can compare to Far Cry.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

far cry is jerry bruckheimer meets every 15 year old kid who ever played counterstrike. a cartoon. a picaresque tomfoolery of gunbarrels and ex machina.

i played that whole game in the "in a world..." voice. i love that voice.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, let me rephrase: Someone needs to make an adventure game that I can compare to the environmental interaction of Far Cry.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Dec 30, 2005 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

far cry is another example of a game that would be mighty interesting if there were no enemies, ya know? it'd be a good engine to build an exploratory adventure game out of.

then again, maybe i'm missing the point of the genre "adventure" ? my last was probably the indian jones/holy grail game.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Alright, let me rephrase: Someone needs to make an adventure game that I can compare to the environmental interaction of Far Cry.

Metal Gear Solid 4?

I hear you can light cigarettes only when near smoldering debris! Talk about cool!!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know where one can get Sentient for $5 CAD, if anyone's interested.
Persona-sama
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka
Weltbeherrschen Mangaka

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DonMarco wrote:
simplicio wrote:

Metal Gear Solid 4?

I hear you can light cigarettes only when near smoldering debris! Talk about cool!!

Couldn't he just fire a bullet and light his cig on the hot barrel tip?

OR ON THE BURNING CARCASSES OF HIS RECENTLY DEFEATED FOES??

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lackey

PostPosted: Sun Jan 08, 2006 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Le Strade wrote:
I know where one can get Sentient for $5 CAD, if anyone's interested.

Yeah! I got mine for 1.18 C$

Then the shipping cost 6...
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my new treasure today!

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh wow.

that reminds me...

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

registered shareware!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did SVC Card Fighters Expand Edition 2 remind you of a bunch of shareware games and Herzog Zwei?

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it reminded me that i'd been meaning to post to this thread.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whoa, what? return of the mutant space bats?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes. they came back.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
Got my new treasure today!

(pictures)

-Wes

How much does the game go for these days? I really regret not buying it for $48 back in 2001. Insetead I got that hentai mahjong game. I don't regret my descision, but sometimes like to do like the Marvel and "What If...??" my life a bit.
Lackey

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had never heard anything of a sequel is all. Invasion of the Mutant Space Bats was excellent, what's the Return like?
sawtooth

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lackey wrote:
I generally find the EGA versions to be better, not for the amount of colours, but because the art is much cleaner. The VGA editions look pretty much how you'd expect backgrounds painted over already-perfect-for-their-format backgrounds to look.

Plus it loses the vibrancy of the full saturation colours mixed with black in the original versions of Loom and Monkey Island.

If I recall correctly, the VGA edition of monkey island makes a few mistakes in its paintovers, noticable in the scumm bar at least.

...I'd buy sentient but I'm currently occupied with The Last Express. It'll have to wait!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: