The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Grad school makes it hard to play videogames

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Swimmy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:00 pm    Post subject: Grad school makes it hard to play videogames Reply with quote

So instead here is a graduate school thread.

My program (PhD economics at George Mason University) is a curious little place. There's a huge emphasis on blogging--see here, here, here, here, here--and students are rather expected to keep up with these, or at least keep up with themes presented, along with the usual impossibly-too-much reading of journal articles. Professors write and create. . . odd things, like economic romance novels and macroecon raps.

I guess what I'm saying is, this is pretty easily the best thing I've ever done. And I don't even have funding.

But man it is stressful. Get three Cs? You're out! More than one F? You're out! Fail the prelims? Out with you! It must be even more stressful for the people with funding. A single C and they lose $10,000. And with a ~50% dropout/fail rate, well. It's a pain.

Discuss graduate school here. Already finished it? Plans to go? Vitriol against? Love for?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Mon Mar 29, 2010 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I decided to forgo Grad school for now and looked for a real job so I can start building experience and some wealth in case the economy takes a shit again. Needless to say with this being my first real job, I'll be working 50+ hours a week and won't have much time for gaming (except for my 45 minute commute on the train) and weekends. I guess I'll still have holidays too.

But I'm prepared to start playing games less. I haven't bought a new system in years. No PS3, no next gen system, etc. So I'm not missing out on much. Not to say I WON'T be going to Tokyo Game Show this year though!
justin_ruch1180

PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too sacrificed playing games when I went to grad school. I totally understand how you feel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: