The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Ascent - Development Blog [thread name changed]

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Nickel and Dime Game Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 7:28 am    Post subject: The Ascent - Development Blog [thread name changed] Reply with quote

TO Jam #4 begins today, and I've already started blogging the event for your joy. You can follow it on my own blog, or read it here. There are lots of photos, so make sure to follow along; this is going to be a lot of fun.

-----

TO Jam has officially begun! I was part of a small crew of volunteers who went to the Jam space last night to clean and organize it in preparation for this weekend's event. What a surprise for me: the space had changed considerably from last year, and now features various parts of a Chrysler integrated with the walls, and fixtures.,a tantalizing nine-screen Videodrome display hanging from the wall and a full kitchen!

We spent about four hours cleaning, mopping and moving—moving lots of odd, bizarre stuff to odd, bizarre rooms—and it was a helluva lot of fun. The highlight of the evening was climbing up a small, not-very-secure metal ladder up on to the roof to secure tarps over a couple of the huge bubble skylights in the space. Damn programmers and their hatred of sunlight! Up on the roof in the pouring rain, we got a beautiful view of the city and a feeling of being somewhere special.

At the end of the night, we went over to Chinatown (which is great for me, because it's a short walk from my place) for some late-night nosh. Man, I couldn't have been hungrier. As we stuffed our faces with squid, ginger beef and shrimp, the kitchen belched terrifying Silent Hill noises, and we spoke of games, Chuck Norris—and beautiful friendship.

I arrived home, mostly soaked despite (or because of) my ailing umbrella, around 2:00 AM. Today, the real work—that serious business of creating games—is underway.

I've started a Flickr set of the event, which I will endeavour to update at the end of each day.

Check out the photos, and come back for updates!

Day 0: Videodrome

Last edited by Lestrade on Sun May 10, 2009 7:49 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is sweet. Put up a picture of your game ASAP!

-Wes
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do programmers hate sunlight so much, anyway?

I'm super jealous, so be sure to post enough stuff that I can live vicariously through you.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHH!!

I'm fucking sick! Can you believe it? I've been so hyped about this and I'm goddamn sick. In case I've got Schweinhund Flu or something, I had to leave at six tonight and go home. I don't want to infect anyone, so I will probably have to finish my game from home. Christ.

Anyway, here's an image of the first room in my new game. None of the sprites are there, so it is obviously incomplete. I think it's a good start though.

(Ran into some bugs with my simple game, so I started working on art instead.)

Day 1: Progress
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get some work done last night; I don't know where I found the energy but a round or two of Street Fighter IV online and a couple of Time Trial runs in Mirror's Edge seemed to do the trick.

Got most of my character sprites done, though I'll have to tweak them, I'm sure. About half a dozen programming challenges came up, demonstrating what a neophyte I am. I will conquer these—eventually.

I'll post some sprites after I've had some tea. I'm feeling better but I don't want to infect anyone, so I'm probably Jamming from home today.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta be honest with you. This is not at all what I expected your tree to look like. Stll good though!

I'm sad that you're sick. I was hoping you'd have some good dork stories.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, of course! This is the bunker before the tree. The tree is above this.

I've been trying to finalize all the environmental interactions (climbing, jumping, etc.) and still have some bugs to squash. Also have some damn animation issues too.

Here's the main character; she's got a nice-looking scarf that flaps around and animates as she moves (a la Mario's cape in Super Mario World).

Day 2: Sprites Day 2: Workin' It
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I am going to abandon the climbing mechanic I had in the game. It's causing me so many problems, and it's eating up so much of my time that I could be spending on level-building.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, spent most of the day fucking with interaction stuff that still isn't completely fixed. I traded one half-broken concept (scalable areas) for another (pass-through platforms). Had to take a break with the wife, and now I'm on to crank out art to get my mind off the problem for a while.

How am I going to get this done!?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Day 3: Revised Initial Stage Day 2: Slowly but surely

I spent far, far too long last night trying to make various mechanics work that I had to abandoned. I feel like I'm a day behind. I've got most of the art done, but now I have to crank out the game's level design and begin applying the polish.

This has gone from a jumo-and-climb game to a jump-jumpy game to a jump-and-avoid-the-spikes game. The latter took a long time to come to (think last night at 4:30 AM), but it makes this actually fun to play.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holy crap, I have a game that's fun to play!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

She is complete!

Day 3 - The Ascent

In the nick of time, I got my game done. I still have some minor jankiness to iron out, but I'm pretty happy with this—especially considering that I redesigned it last night at 4:00 am or so. I thought the game was going to be too easy, but everyone seemed to have a hard time with it. My devilish level design! There's still work to be done, especially in regards to adding music and more SFX, as well as tweaking the level a bit and polishing up some of the visuals. All in all, though, I think this turned out well.

I will post an EXE soon; in the meantime, see more photos of the Jam on my Flickr page.
Six

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2009 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Colour me stoked! That looks lovely.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Six!

Here is a batch of official screenshots.
TheAscent_Title.png The Ascent - Cutscene (Beta)
The Ascent - First Area (Beta) The Ascent - Gameplay (Beta)
The Ascent - Climbing (Beta)

Last edited by Lestrade on Mon May 04, 2009 9:57 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This looks really awesome. I warned you about game maker well in advance, but I'm glad you were finally able to settle on something you're happy with.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon May 04, 2009 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ascent v1.0 is now downloadable. Playable on any XP or Vista machine. Use a gamepad for best results!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2009 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More nice press: GameSetWatch included a nice little write-up yesterday.

Untold Entertainment wrote their wrap-up (with my photos) here.

Aboutplay.ca made a video of the event!

The Torontoist has a nice article (with some great photos—look for my wireless Logitech PS2 controller in one of them) for you to read and enjoy.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am meeting my friend/sound designer today to work on music and more SFX for the game. I've also created a revised version of the game, taking some feedback into account. I'm not sure if I like it any better; the game feels too easy.

I have an idea to expand the game to five levels or so, but I'm not sure if this will dilute the idea. I'm just having so much fun with this game I want it to last longer.

Thoughts?
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2009 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, today was a really productive day! I met with sound designer extraordinaire and he really pulled through; the game is sounding really nice now.

In addition, I got a lot done myself, which is detailed here:

+ Adjusted jump control; character now jumps less high and fast; this plus the variable control makes the character easier to control mid-air for those tricky spots
+ Redesigned the main tree area to suit the new jumping mechanics; this area now feels longer, though it's the same size; better utilized multiple paths and made those tricky jumps a little more tempting
+ Updated splash screen and included custom loading bar
+ Revised background images in tree area so that all leafy platforms have supporting branches
+ Tweaked background colours for a more natural colour progression between sky transitions, and to make inaccessible background platforms less visually distracting
+ Cleaned up a lot of behind-the-scenes stuff, including making some pretty neat little icons for objects (that the player doesn't see) that trigger things; all neatly categorized and colour-coded—yikes
+ Made the stars in two scenes animate
+ Added the ability to restart the game at the end by hitting Jump

Still to do:

- Revise all three intro screens (I'm not saying how)
- Add new ending interim screen (ditto)
- Add Xbox 360 controller support SCRAPPED
- Desperately try to figure out how to do parallax scrolling (if you know, please help!) SCRAPPED
- Animate the city scene at the beginning of the tree area
- Animate the overhead lights in the bunker

It's all very exciting. The TO Jam Arcade is on May 22, so we're well on our way to making this game truly excellent.

Last edited by Lestrade on Mon May 18, 2009 12:02 pm; edited 3 times in total
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today's update:

+ Revised opening story screens (much nicer now!)
+ Added proper ending screen

I've been trying to find a Microsoft wireless dongle thingie for my Xbox 360 pad so I can install this library I've got and test it, but magically every store I contact is fresh out. I will have to expand my search.
ryan

PostPosted: Mon May 11, 2009 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you taught yourself how to program, what books did you use? I've thought about it for years, and put a bit of effort into learning Python, but I always stall once the tutorials/books hit chapter 2 and jump from beginner to 'oh, you aren't just using this as a refresher? idiot!' I've been trying to find some decent learning material for a while now.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
If you taught yourself how to program, what books did you use? I've thought about it for years, and put a bit of effort into learning Python, but I always stall once the tutorials/books hit chapter 2 and jump from beginner to 'oh, you aren't just using this as a refresher? idiot!' I've been trying to find some decent learning material for a while now.

The best learning material I've used is looking at simple sample code and changing it to do what you want. It's a lot easier to do something when you've got an actual goal in mind than it is when you've got a book in front of you.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with Wes 100%, Ryan. Though I must clarify that the only programming I technically know how to do is web programming—and I did that through the method Wes described, until I got good enough to know how to start from scratch.

But I am using Game Maker to create The Ascent, so no real programming is required. I've been told that if you know its simple language (GML), making games is much faster and easier, because three lines of code will save you having to create four separate events using the visual interface. And don't get me wrong; the only way to get some of the good stuff out of GM is to find this code online and start figuring some of it out.

But if you're looking to use Game Maker to, well, make games, fear not! One full day of going through tutorials will set you up nicely.

Unless you're trying to figure out parallax scrolling. Goddammit.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue May 12, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Unless you're trying to figure out parallax scrolling. Goddammit.

It looks like google might have the answer you seek. Unfortunately, it also looks like GML is the only way to do it...

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed May 13, 2009 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice recording session scheduled for tomorrow! The mind boggles!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu May 14, 2009 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The voice recording session went a thousand times better than I could have expected. I am so, so excited about all this. I will be sifting through all the takes this weekend and comparing notes with my sound maestro to find the right samples. Such a little game, I know but this is all going to make the experience awesome.

Pretty excited. (Admittedly, pretty drunk right now too.)
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm amazed I was able to write so coherently while drunk.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, after messing with parallax scrolling, I've scrapped the idea. In this case, the effect is nauseating. I have added Xbox pad support, though I need to get a MS dongle so I can test this. I'm going to try to pick one up today.

I just need to finish these last two visual bits and then get the sound finished with El Sound Maestro.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri May 15, 2009 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lengthy search, Xbox dongle acquired. But holy crap, now I have no idea how to properly support an Xbox pad. I downloaded GMXinput, which is accepting input, and a library for (apparently) recognizing the controller, but it ain't workin'. If anyone knows...
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon May 18, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After a lot of wasted time trying to get an Xbox 360 controller working, I'm probably going to abandon support for the time being. Use Xpadder, people! Not happy that I wasted a bunch of money that I don't have in this.

Recent work update:

+ made my selections for voice acting takes
+ animated buildings in main area (not sure if I'll keep this)
+ fixed credit screen to include voice actor
+ re-typeset all text in the game; welcome back, Helvetica Neue!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Tue May 19, 2009 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The animated buildings are definitely not working. There's some minor animation in the background, and this looks better. I don't think anyone is going to complain that the clouds aren't moving; it looks better still than animated (and is a whole lot less distracting).

I spent two hours yesterday trying to get a freaking countdown alarm working so I can automatically transition a scene. Why is this so difficult? I still don't have it right. Argh.

Should be getting the final sound samples today—woo!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO Jam is tomo--well, technically tonight! It's going to be awesome. I have to try not to drink beer.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 2.0 beta is where we're at. Need to add the hidden gem plus make some tweaks. I still think the game could use a once-over by a real programmer, but it's well on its way to become a respectable entry into the indie gaming world. The voice sample are very nice!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Version 2.1 is a go and is ready for mass consumption at tonight's TO Jam Arcade. I'll post a new downloadable version after the evening is done.

Exciting!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri May 22, 2009 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TO Jam Arcade is over—well, not really. But I was tired and had to leave early. Too many cliques, not enough energy to deal with them.

But The Ascent v2.0 is available for download (I've retracted the 2.1 number for now). Improved mechanics, musical score, and voice acting!
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had a tutorial today with a better Game Maker programmer to try to get game pad support working. Realized that in order to do this right, I will have to completely re-program my game's control/animation system entirely from scratch. Likely with code. God. I do not want to do this any time soon, so Xpadder remains the gamepad-lover's option for now.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sun May 31, 2009 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is my game a cliché? Aboot Play has an interesting discussion going about this notion.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Is my game a cliché? Aboot Play has an interesting discussion going about this notion.

I think Snow is more of a cliché than The Ascent. The Ascent seems like more of a traditional game with just enough lack of focus (sorry!) to make you feel like you're missing something when you finish it. I think this is where the label is coming from.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks?
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
Thanks?

Ha! Not a cliche in the sense that it's uninspired, just in the sense that it meets the standards. I really do like the feeling that playing Snow puts you in. The Ascent, less so, but mostly because it's a lonely game that should make you feel, uhh, lonely, but instead makes you feel frustrated (I haven't played the latest version yet, no time!). We kind of talked about this though.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Ascent and SNOW get a nice nod in Game Developer Magazine's 2009 Career Guide. I was interviewed for the magazine and part of my long-winded answers were used for the Designers' Toolbox article.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 10, 2009 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey hey! EDGE Magazine gives The Ascent a little mention in this issue's massive feature story on the gaming industry here in Ontario. It's just a little nod, but I'm pretty excited about this. Here's the online version of the article.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Nickel and Dime Game Design All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: