The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got through gta4:the lost and damned.

Killing people got to be a chore. Still a helluva city, though.

Also I'm kind of grinding through Wario World but stopped liking it a number of levels ago/
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killzone 2, Street Fighter IV, and Kirby Superstar.

Killzone is kind of shitty. It's really pretty, but there's not enough autoaim and the enemies take way too much damage. I'm playing on Hard, so maybe that's the problem. It's not as good as Resistance 2 or Halo 3 by any stretch, but I'll probably see it through to the end. Looking forward to Halo Wars on Tues too.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played Rock Band 2 for Wii last night with a friend, online. There was a bit of a learning curve at first, but it was smooth going once we figured out who should host the game. It was a surprising amount of fun. Getting a unison bonus feels so good. I rocked some Judas Priest drums, let me tell you.

One note: my friend and I phoned each other to keep tabs on what was going on while we set up the game. We left our phones on during play and chatted between songs. We both commented in the middle of all this: man, this sure does feel like an antiquated way to game online. I guess we're all spoiled by Xbox Live and that packed-in headset.

Also! I bought a not-expensive arcade stick for my PS3 (and, consequently, PS2 and PC) and am enjoying Street Fighter IV so, so much more than before. I love standing up to play, and getting that real arcade feel. I even have my wife bumping into me and spilling cola on my controller, just for effect.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to start attracting dealers to the front of your house now just like at a real arcade. They'll be mean to you, you'd better get rid of the stick and send them on their way.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Killzone 2: why the hell am I 3'6"? And why, after Resistance 2, am I having to fight with a dualshock controller when trying to aim in a first-person shooter? The game isn't bad, but the sluggish movement, even with the sensitivity maxed, and the fact that I'm staring at everyone's chest is bumming me out.
purplechair

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing San Andreas again, because it's just so much more fun than GTA IV.

I kinda fell into habitually clearing missions, but then this afternoon I remembered that I started playing just to screw around and have fun. So I stole a plane and flew around Los Santos for a few minutes to get myself in the mood, then picked up a camera and hopped on a motorbike and became CARL JOHNSON: INVESTIGATIVE REPORTER!

I rode down to the docks and saw someone shunt a police car by accident. The cops got out and started shooting, which set the driver in panic mode and he started driving away. I jumped off my bike and tried to get a photo, but was too slow. A chase ensued, and I followed from a safe distance, and eventually both cars managed to flip onto their sides while crossing one of the dock area bridges - and hence burst into flames. I pulled up again and managed to take a pretty good photo of the cops being thrown over by the force of the blast.

Not bad for a first assignment, but it's a shame there isn't more I can do with the photo. I think this is the year that I'm going to get some screencapture stuff set up, and then I'd at least be able to put decent shots on the net.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In House Of the Dead Overkill they say "fuck" a lot but what do you expect from a false grindhouse Planet Terror blowjob of a game. There's this bit at the end where there's a "scene missing" screen and then Agent G and the angry black man have miniguns because hey, they were just lying around. Then the angry black man says fuck a few more times because hey, he's an angry black man and so you have to kill this fucking thing and the token creepy villain, like, crawls inside of its moot which is just stupid. But hey, that's just the kind of game it is.

The most important part which is the shooting part, which you do a lot of is actually quite fun if you play it on "Director's Cut" but that involves sleeping through the game once (because it is a cake walk). You can be damn sure that there's no QTEs to insult or patronize you so if you like review scores that deserves two points on the positive side. I'd actually go for The House Of the Dead 2 & 3 collection instead if I had higher standards but I just had to have those pistol-shaped controller shells, those things are cannons.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I loved this game. I rented it, but I still want to buy a copy. Did you pick up a friend and a six-pack of beer along with the game? Because they're necessary accessories.

I rented this week Dead Rising: Chop Till You Drop. I have only ever played the demo of the 360 game, so this is an interesting comparison for me. I'm not very far in, and it's fun, but without the high-gloss visuals and zombie crowds of the original, the game feels more like a D3 budget title.

I was looking forward to this because I find most Wii games 50% more fun to play due to Wiimote controls, but this isn't cutting it. Pointing and shooting a la RWii4 is nice, but since ammo is limited, you're stuck with using your one melée weapon a lot, which is repetitive. I thought I was going to enjoy the stricter nature of the game more, but already I miss the freedom from the 360 game.

The game is due back in a couple of days, so I'll play it a bit more, and likely find a $20 copy of the 360 version afterwards.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I beat quite a few games recently (see my thread in the Staff section!), but outside of those games I've been spending time with Halo Wars, Killzone 2, and Dragon Quest V.

Halo Wars is the most surprising of these. I finished it a few weekends ago, but I've easily put twice as much time into it since then. The skirmishes (vs mode with AI components) have AI that adjusts itself after each round and I find myself coming back to those often trying to improve my game and force the AI to become more difficult. It's been years since I've played a game with the sole purpose of getting better at it, but for some reason I'm doing this with Halo Wars and I can't get enough of it.

And Dragon Quest V is amazing. It does the whole "go back to this area later and see how the world's events have changed it" thing absolutely perfectly. It's exactly what game stories are supposed to be like.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2009 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought Wolfenstein 3D for my wife's iPhone, and holy sweet mother of crap—I never thought I'd be this excited about Wolf3D again.

The game is incredible; the controls take about five minutes to get used to, and after that they are very intuitive and, honestly, make playing Wolf3D as interesting as it was back in the day. It is amazing what having a big, wide touch screen can do.

My only complaint is that just as I was about to finish E1M3, the game crashed. I think it was my wife's iPhone's fault, and not the game's, but when I booted it back, it erased my progress (which I think it saves automatically). I was pretty disappointed, but I'm going to dive back in anyway.

Get it! Play it! Scream in digitized German at your friends!

Pocket Nazis
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like one cluttered screen!

I think I've played enough Wolfenstein 3D for a lifetime. I don't think it really holds up as a good game, but hey, mechahitler. I hope the new Wolfenstein game goes camp! But Raven are making is so we know it won't Sad We also know it will be insultingly mediocre Sad
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle, I thought the same thing, but as soon as you start playing, you don't even notice the control interface.

I for one can't believe how much fun I'm having with the game; I think something like the iPhone is the perfect way to play it; just jam through one or two levels at a time, and then put it away until you've got a few minutes to kill. I've always loved Wolfenstein, and I'm glad that I can genuinely get back into it.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an iPod Touch and tried playing some NES ROMs... worst decision ever. The touch screen controls were just way too loose for any semblance of coordination. It was just frustrating.

I have a few games on there waiting for me though - the portable Katamari, PuzzleQuest and the new Metal Gear Solid Touch but haven't had the time to actually play any of them to see if they are any good.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented Dead Rising for Wii last week and put up a comparison post about it.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am playing S.T.A.L.K.E.R. for the second time now. I stopped the first time since it crashed and corrupted my save, that'll teach me to use mods that alter the ai. But now that I'm not doing and not getting my arse shot up from being an idiot and running into every firefight I'm making progress which is slow. It's pretty good, this game about stalking. I'm just out of the first underground section and I am thinking that I don't want to do that again.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing through Half-Life 2: Episode 2. I only got so far last year and then wandered off to somewhere else, but now I'm back into it.

The outdoor sections of HL2 are still some of the best gaming moments I can name. They embody everything I love in games; the feel of exploration, beautiful scenery, problem-solving, and encounters and events that feel organic and natural. I wish the entire game was like this; I could do without the "stuck in the dark with zombies" sections.

I also got Dead Rising (360) for my birthday. I'm only at the beginning, so I don't have a tonne to say about it right now. I'm pretty late to the game, but I'm finally in the right mindset to enjoy this.

Most importantly, I've returned to my saved game in Hotel Dusk, and am enjoying it so much I can hardly contain myself. I've been playing it before bed every night in lieu of reading, and it works so well like this. I go to bed thinking of puzzles and murder mysteries.

Freelance life has finally give me time for gaming again. Rejoice!
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bubble Bobble Plus! It's Bubble Bobble plus an Arrange mode which you can play with three other people. I don't have three other people to play Bubble Bobble with so I will never get the true ending but it's a pretty sweet remake apart from that. If you stay away from the DLC it's only 800 points which is pretty good if you are into such concepts as perceived value.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rhythm Heavennnnnnn

Finally, a game I can play and make progress in on my 3-minute bus ride to work!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:
Rhythm Heavennnnnnn

Finally, a game I can play and make progress in on my 3-minute bus ride to work!

I got it toooo!

And I like it, but I feel like the difficulty curve is just a tiny bit too steep for me. A few of the missions that seem like they should be easy take me far too long to complete and I just feel like giving up. It's not terribly bad, but with the game's difficulty being what it is I kind of wish that it was a bit less linear, allowing me to try something else if I hit a wall.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been replaying Baldur's Gate 1.

No chance of Ironman.

The random encounters are generally more dangerous than the set-piece fights.

If there were some variation in where you start on those random encounter maps, I would feel guilty about just reloading.

Really, BG1 is sort of like nerd hazing.

5 CD set -old school CDs, not even basic DVDs. I also installed the Tales of the Sword Coast expansion, which may be partly to blame for the hardcoreness- it ups the laevel cap and also ups the difficulty of various fights.

It's a nice low level (in terms of character power) RPG, with only basic RPG elements.
Exception: some alignment/behavior routes net different NPCs with different party interactions and some variations in plot development and even a few encounters that will be different with different NPCs.

Has anybody else here tried this one?
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried the very beginning but never got very far. Need to give it another go.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2009 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really would like to try Baldur's Gate, but there's no way to legally obtain it these days and I don't want to play it bad enough to illegally obtain it. Sigh. Hopefully they're figure out who owns the license and re-release it through GoG eventually.

-Wes
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Sat May 02, 2009 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gobliiins 4 is out!

I've played through four levels so far; it starts off with one goblin, the next level has that one find a second gobliin, and the third level has them meeting up with the third gobliiin. The game definitely picked up once I had control all three gobliiins.

It's... an awful lot like Gobliiins. The first one. Which makes sense, since it stars the same characters. But there are occasionally crazy design choices lifted straight from Gobliiins that were stricken from the later Gobliins. For example, every level is completely self contained; there's no travelling back and forth between scenes. Now, it is good that Pierre Gilhodes recognized that the completely open world of Woodruff and the Schnibble was a disaster, but this often leads to situations where you've taken care of the core objective of the scene and the game just won't let you progress until you make sure that you pick all of your objects back up so that you'll have them in the next level. This wouldn't be so bad, except it's sometimes not well-clued that you have solved the level, or even what the objectives are.

For example, the first level has Tchoup, the Inventory Goblin, having to figure out where his other gobliin friends have gotten off to. If you try to leave, Tchoup says, "I can't leave until I find out where my buddies are." Once you've found this information and try to leave, Tchoup says, "I can't leave until I've fed my vegetarian plant!" You then proceed to feed him, and try to leave again, and Tchoup says, "I can't leave until I've fed my vegetarian plant!" He's still hungry, see.

The next level, when you try to leave, simply has the gobliin saying, "I don't think we're done here" or something. No variation depending on how much you've accomplished.

The next two levels are much better clued, and the puzzles are a lot more interesting, too. So far none of the puzzles have been particularly mindbending -- it says on the website that it's designed so that an 8-year-old could finish each level in an hour or two, and while I wasn't much older than that when I first finished Gobliiins without any hints (an accomplishment I am still unreasonably proud of), it's definitely a lot more straightforward than any other Gobliiins game. It seems in places kind of like they tried to keep some of the hilarious moon logic alive by including items in the scene that are not used in the puzzles that the gobliins can comically hurt themselves with, which is a pretty new idea in this series.

Anyway, I've stopped for now because I think it might be enjoyable to solve it with my lovely wife, since it's not anywhere near as cruel as the older Gobliiins games. Nitpicking aside, I am having a good time.

Kind of wish it was crazier, though. I have to wonder if Muriel Tramis is the missing spark.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2009 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just played through Deus Ex 2. It's just as disappointing as I remember it being. It's still a fun enough game, though.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of a sudden I've been just playing the hell out of Little Big Planet and Spore. Both games were kind of over-hyped, both focused on custom content as the major selling point*, and both vanished from the public discourse almost as soon as they came out.

* (To the point that they both place heavy emphasis on the triumviracy of "Play / Create / Share".)

I think Spore failed to make an impact because the player's experience in the first four stages was paper-thin, so hardly anybody stuck around long enough to see that the Space stage actually was deep and worthwhile. I've also seen a lot of people complain that "none of your choices really matter in the end". While I don't think that's true at all (your choices in each stage of the game determine which of 10 different classes you start as in the Space stage, along with some fairly critical incidental abilities), this is a common enough complaint that there must be something to it.

Little Big Planet, however, is every bit the game they promised ahead of time. Particularly since Media Molecule keeps releasing DLC that actually provides new tools for level construction. First the Paintinator and other toys from the Metal Gear Solid pack; now they've added a few extra utilities like a tetherless jetpack and global lighting modification tools.

Finally figured out the best way to find new levels: when you happen across a good one, choose "Find more by this author" and then, if you hit R1 a couple times, you can see what levels and users that author has hearted. It's a lot like surfing the internet: great levels can lead you to even more great levels. it's the only way to cut through the "H4H" spam that pollutes the search function and other default methods.

I keep getting amazed by the levels some of these people have been making, too. Using key switches and dissolve material it's pretty easy to make rudimentary script-like machines; for my level "Men's Restroom Etiquette", I used a punch card-like system to control which figures are visible and which button is the correct one to press for each of the eight puzzles. I've also been seeing a lot of great landscaping and architecture. It's one of the few games I've played were I actually get more excited to own it the longer I've been playing.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Transformers 2 was pretty decent.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

100% Australian PC Powerplay™ magazine has Dark Sector as a free game on the coverdisc. Despite the foibles that you get from a console to PC port it manages to entertain once you start throwing your magical boomerang at enemies that are in cover but also not. I really can't find the motivation to play any further than the second chapter but everything up until then sat well with me.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been grinding and thieving and blowing people up with dynamite in FOnline.

Loves me some dynamite.

Dynamite, red sticks
pickpocket gift for you, friend
I smile as chunks fly

Too bad they nerfed dynamite.

People playing this game are beta-testers who try to play it as if it were an MMO.
Grinding away, complaining when things are changed in response to all sorts of sploits.
There were so many, and this is what the open beta is for.

It is actually very boring unless you are hooked up to people who have a bunch of gear.
Or it was boring. They've been putting quests in, so there is more to do now than the warring and grinding of 2 weeks ago.

I'll post hint/etc. for anyone who actually wants to give this turkey a whirl.

Fallout Online Open Beta

Oh, you need Fallout 2 disc or just the critter.dat and master.dat which you place in the Fonline main folder.
silentmatt

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uncharted 2 online beta. I originally felt this game shouldn't have online, that it would just be tacked on and kind of lame. But then I downloaded the beta. And two of my buddies and I have been playing it pretty much every day since.

It really is amazing. Pretty much all the game types are squad based or true coop and they are extremely fun. The game itself is beautiful - my only qualms at the moment is the grenade toss on L2. I have never seen so many grenades dropped accidentally in a game before in my entire life. If a finger just lightly presses the shoulder button, there goes a grenade. It is ridiculous!

We are currently working on the two-man coop on crushing medal. It is intense!

Also: looking forward to Brutal Legend (gameplay might be meh, but the demo made me laugh out loud 6 or 7 times in its 15 minutes so I still think it is going to be enjoyable), Fallout 3: GOTY Edition (traded in my non-GOTY edition for credit towards it awhile back) and Borderlands. What a month!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Mon Oct 05, 2009 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was pleasantly surprised by Uncharted as well. I only had time to play one run of co-op with strangers, but it was superb. I'm still more excited for single player. I played a lot of Mario and Luigi 3 over the weekend. I'm still not sure about it. I can't explain why, but every piece seems almost too calculated to perfection. There's never a good time to put it down because it's so fast paced and is always introducing something new.

It's a strange complaint, but I almost want it to settle down a bit.

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 83, 84, 85
Page 85 of 85

Jump to: