The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

lol hey guys i'm young and hip

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sediment

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: lol hey guys i'm young and hip Reply with quote

and I just installed ubuntu on my new gaming PC. This was a decision resulting from a long, expensive, and painful process revolving around trying to install vista 64, since I didn't know dx10 was supported in opengl and wine.

I'm installing 202 system updates now, and doing about five other things involving mass data transfer from an XP machine on our network.

Can anyone recommend essential programs that I might, essentially, need to essentially perfect my essential gaming experience?

PS I love you

helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

World of Goo can perfect anyone's gaming experience.

ps love you back more.
sediment

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm having enough problems getting Fallout 2 to run in Wine that World of Goo might give me ulcers (unless there's a .deb out there somewhere for it).

I have to say my experience thus far with Ubuntu, even in spite of the headaches of getting certain Windows-based games running right proper, has been overwhelmingly positive... and I think that might be because of the community. The Ubuntu forums are remarkably helpful and a rather positive environment!

And the installation methods in Ubuntu have cool points with me for reasons I'm not sure I should describe.

It's neat!

PS love lots

SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linux is cool and all, but I don't understand why someone would make a game machine running it. I play games when I'm kickin' back and relaxing. I don't want to have to work for my fun time.

Given that you know up front that you'll have to massage most games to get them to work, what's the motivation to have a machine dedicated to it?

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To show the games how much I love them. Wink

I can't get my new computer to recognise the HD from my old - which has XP32 installed on it, and I foolishly purchased and opened an upgrade copy of Vista 64. I'm intending to give my old HD a second go at recognition within the new PC, but until I'm a little more studied at why the hell an IDE interface won't function as my boot drive when the BIOS can see it and even see the data volume on it I'm occupying myself by learning more about Linux itself.

Ubuntu's really easy, which is nice. It'll also really help me when doing the graphic design portions of my art education, for a variety of reasons that are probably a little more like excuses to use it at all... especially since I'm no longer as code-savvy as I was when a teen and so everything being more or less open-source is less an advantage as it is a point of confusion.
I find I'm reacquiring some of my long-buried knowledge, though, which is always refreshing.

Ideally, IF I can get the second HD up and running, I'll have Vista 64 and Ubuntu both available so I can dual-boot and switch to Windows when gaming.

As a final note, while I play games to relax I also tend to get really into them - so once I get the hang of tuning Wine to get things running it'll be like a nice warmup routine for my psychotic streak.
Or, if I just can't make that work, the warmup routine will be me sighing, rebooting and pressing Del.

PS Wes I love you too

sediment

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update: once you know what you're doing ubuntu intrepid is actually a pretty powerful gaming platform.

I'm very pleased, especially since I didn't have to spend a dime on Windows.

astralpancakes

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uuuh.. aren't games and graphics the two things linux really isn't very good at?
sediment

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it does games and graphics pretty well, it's just getting it to interpret windows' bullshit that takes some doing. At least, Ubuntu does. Never tried playing any games on RedHat, in my experience it's kind of more a server thing.

It just takes some work, which is okay with me because I'm kind of a self-loathing masochist and enjoy suffering for my gaming experiences.

astralpancakes

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what sort of graphics you do, I guess. I use Blender quite a lot, and until I got a Mac six months ago I ran it under Ubuntu. No problems there, but you really want a 2D image editor and a compositing app to go with your 3D. Gimp is okay for simple stuff, but still pretty limited compared to Photoshop. For compositing there's always Shake, but if you want to be legit the licence is five kilodollars... Colour management is pretty shaky under Linux too.
sediment

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's with colour management?

So far I've been using Gimp and Inkscape; I'm an illustrator, so - thus far - these have been all I've needed.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: