The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ahh!! Magazines!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Ahh!! Magazines! Reply with quote

Two pretty big items in the world of print this week: EGM closing and Hardcore Gaming Magazine for sale. EGM closing sucks more for childhood me, when the magazine was a mini event each month that I looked forward to, since most of my friends didn't really play games and I had only magazines to be enthusiastic with. I then saw this auction: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300285337821 - Nationally distributed video game print magazine: Instant legitimacy in hard to get into game industry.

I cannot recall another time when someone could just buy a magazine off of ebay. So far, the auction is at $42,000 with no bidders and about 5 days left. The reason for selling is due to personal reasons, which I can see since this is said to have been a hobby that grew to a business. I assume the strategy guide side takes up the bulk of the staff's time. Fans of the magazine will be happy to know that HGM will continue publication if there are no winning bidders.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We should totally buy Hardcore Gamer and republish TGQ under that name using their distributors.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i wonder how much such a business is actually worth. 40k seems high to me in this environment, unless their ad revenue was outstanding. it's obviously a deeply niche publication, from the name on down.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is that really high? Sounds really low to me.

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds cheap to me as well, but I would also worry about the aftermath. The staff could up and leave en masse and the press contacts could stop responding. At that point, all you would have is a shell of a magazine and a lot of domain names. I've noted that the past few issues are around 66 pages with about 8 pages of ads, with about half of the remaining pages dedicated to one game - Metal Gear Solid 4, Street Fighter IV, etc. - so I'm not sure how much revenue they generate. There are a lot of writers on the staff page, but I think only a handful of regular contributors. The staff also mention working on the strategy guides that doublejump puts out, so I would think they would head out and focus on that with the management rather than stick around. If you could maintain the current output and retain a handful of the staff, I'd say it looks to be a pretty good deal.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the online magazine front, related to EGM--any idea what logic there was behind the list of fired editors at 1up?

Nick Suttner and Matt Chandronait brought a lot of smarts and perspective to the table, as well as some creative firepower. Kollar, O'Donnell, Pfister, and Bettenhausen were pretty great in their own right, too.

Seems like the 1up show is gone for good.

What, exactly, will happen with 1up.com? They were pretty handily the best mainstream gaming press. And I wonder how long Sam Kennedy will stay put.
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only quotes I've read from Sam Kennedy were pulled from NeoGAF and mentioned that 1UP was pricey, since the podcasts didn't generate revenue. He mentioned that they plan on getting some of the staff back somehow, but at the moment they are trying to focus on the site. I can see why the podcasts were expensive, as he notes that game companies don't really advertise on the radio, but I think it'd be a pretty good idea for companies to get their community managers - I know Capcom, Sega, and Codemasters have communities outside of their PR channels to build awareness - to make quick spots instead of elaborate ads. UGO, which I haven't seen in any shape or form since about 1999, looks like it's gutting the name for its traffic than anything else - or it could've been in much worse shape than I thought and needs a complete overhaul.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contra: why advertise in a long-format program that's already going to advertise your stuff?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was just thinking about that. You don't see a lot of non-game ads on 1up.com•. It would probably be smart for some of the smaller titles to advertise elsewhere, and for people to realize that people who play games also buy things that aren't games.

•Except those "games are my anti-drug" ads. Because gamers consume more marijuana per capita than any other advertising niche.
Redeye

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
... Because gamers consume more marijuana per capita than any other advertising niche.

Bong noises over the mic in Counterstrike...

then they kill you

grrr

I do remember that I bought only 5 games in the 1990s.

95/6- Original Tomb Raider and Crusader
97 Fallout
98 Baldur's Gate, Fallout 2

Playing Fallout under the influence was like the clouds parting and crazy ever after.

Take into account that I had a C64 in the 80s.

The contrast was amazing. (ok I played Doom/etc. a bit in between but didn't buy them.)
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
•Except those "games are my anti-drug" ads. Because gamers consume more marijuana per capita than any other advertising niche.

snowboarders?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The more I think about it the more pissed off this makes me. Not the buying out. That I can deal with. The closure of EGM is just lame. I'd buy the EGM brand name for $42,000 in a minute, but it's not for sale. They're just going to close it down and sit on it instead. Lame!.

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
Quote:

snowboarders?

Yes yes yes and yes. Another one of those advertising myths where everyone is in their mid-twenties and too-cool-to-care in that dork/everyman kind of way. Except in ads aimed at women, in which the woman that they are supposed to relate to has an unnaturally high-pitched and soft crackly voice.

Advertisers really desperately want everyone to be the same.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just mentioned snowboarders because every one i've met (maybe five?) were permabaked and reiterated the general weediness of the field.

Quote:
Advertisers really desperately want everyone to be the same.

well, no. it would make things easier, to be sure, but the long and the short of it is that commonalities are important.

wes: i may just be jaded, or a dickhead, but egm struck me as just an advertising mouthpiece. and like most magazines it was a money pit, apparently.

example:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/fallout3?q=fallout%203

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/bioshock?q=bioshock

now contrast:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/stalkershadowofchernobyl?q=stalker

now, stalker deserves a 7 or 8 out of ten, easily. it's quality, atmosphere and novelty is offset by technical issues, weird lack of polish and general eastern european-ness.

i enjoyed bioshock, mostly. i even liked fallout 3, mostly. but neither were perfect. see how much less reasonable their reviews are? that's no bell curve, that's a mountainside!

oddly enough, both had big budgets and lots of dosh to throw around. if a magazine's main supporting revenue stream is the industry it's supposed to be reviewing, then it's going to find itself making lots of turns like this.

i never read game mags as a child so maybe i missed out on something, but so far it seems like we're just missing one extra press release fountain.

is there anything on earth that a mainstream gaming magazine does better than even piddling websites other than "be portable" and "come in resolutions higher than 72dpi"?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
wes: i may just be jaded, or a dickhead, but egm struck me as just an advertising mouthpiece. and like most magazines it was a money pit, apparently.

example:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/fallout3?q=fallout%203

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/bioshock?q=bioshock

now contrast:

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/pc/stalkershadowofchernobyl?q=stalker

now, stalker deserves a 7 or 8 out of ten, easily. it's quality, atmosphere and novelty is offset by technical issues, weird lack of polish and general eastern european-ness.

i enjoyed bioshock, mostly. i even liked fallout 3, mostly. but neither were perfect. see how much less reasonable their reviews are? that's no bell curve, that's a mountainside!

oddly enough, both had big budgets and lots of dosh to throw around. if a magazine's main supporting revenue stream is the industry it's supposed to be reviewing, then it's going to find itself making lots of turns like this.

i never read game mags as a child so maybe i missed out on something, but so far it seems like we're just missing one extra press release fountain.

is there anything on earth that a mainstream gaming magazine does better than even piddling websites other than "be portable" and "come in resolutions higher than 72dpi"?

EGM's reviews aren't represented in any of those links (for some reason) and they didn't cover PC games at all until recently, so I'm not sure how that's relevant. What EGM did well is show integrity, demand respect, and have the history of being an institution to ensure that they could get interesting material that others don't have access to. EGM's review crew consisted of three different people who offered up few-paragraph buyer's guide style reviews that let you know what a wide range of people might think of a game. For some reason (probably financial) they reduced this to one person for most reviews in the past year.

They were threatened by several companies to follow specific review rules and give specific scores, including Ubisoft and Konami, and in these cases rather than buckling, were vocal about the threats and ended up getting stripped of review-copy privileges by Ubisoft and stalling an exclusive MGS4 cover story by a month to prevent Konami from stifling their opinions. Pretty sure they also pissed of Midway.

Their interviews were not afraid to ask the tough questions, and were almost always both interesting and worth reading. Their cover stories were usually very strongly aware of the pulse of the gaming community at large, and well-written by game journalism standards.

Then there's the question of whether print is even needed for something like game journalism. The answer is probably not, but for me personally, print is a way to get a concise summary of what's good and what's not and what's due in the future without being tempted to click only on things that interest me or having to read 2,000 words to get to a point that could have been said in a couple hundred. EGM's focus on the biggest games didn't quite meet this criteria, but it was at least consistent and it sure as hell beat out what passes as its competition. The only big name US multiplatform mags that are left now are Game Informer, GamePro, and Play, and Game Informer's owned by GameStop, GamePro is like 20 pages long and is just shy of horrific, and Play is moving more in the direction of long-form well-thought-out personal pieces than a quick read monthly news source.

The only positive constant in the past 20 years of gaming journalism has been EGM, and now it's gone Sad

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes they were totally the wrong links.

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/bioshock?q=bioshock

http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/fallout3?q=fallout%203

(when your metric bottoms out at 70, it's sort of pointless almost.)

the assassin's creed dustup is interesting.

but yeah word of mouth is where it's at: web 2.0 and all that shit.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I lived in Canada, I bought a copy of EGM (I'm pretty sure it was never sold over here), because it looked thick. I couldn't read it before I bought it because it was sealed for no reason at all. It turns out it's because they didn't want people to find out 80% of the magazine was advertisements? I was pretty pissed off, especially since it actually was more pricey than most other mags on the shelf. I even threw the magazine away when I was done with it. I NEVER throw magazines away.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 11, 2009 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Went to a baby party (shower?) last night where the husband is a photographer for the St. Louis Post Dispatch. Apparently Friday was the end of the quarter and they laid off a significant number of people. None of the people at the party, thankfully, but I made the mistake of mentioning the words "death of print" and everyone got a little uneasy. I'm starting to see that the bad economy is really bringing to light a lot of writing-was-on-the-wall, out-of-date business models that have been surviving on the strength of the economy rather than their own markets.

I'm sure that print can and will survive, but I guess it's got to do more than depend solely on selling advertising. Maybe Game Informer and the official magazines are using a more valid business model? Game Informer is inseparable from GameStop's discount card, and the official magazines are probably supported by ads from the main companies that don't have the option of being pulled. No clue how that works actually.

-Wes

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, and the clerks get annoying about Game Informer. I told them that I didn't want the magazine and to just skip it and twice the employees tried to enter their address in for it. Now I get it, read it once, then toss it. I love the constant discrepancy between the text and score: 'this game sucks!' 7/10.

What gaming magazines can do - and some like Game Developer Magazine do - more to my liking than online are extended pieces. Histories of titles, companies or people. Edge does this a good bit, with Dune II this month and SEGAGA and id last month. I can read text on monitor just fine up to a point, but something like a postmortem at Gamasutra will kill my eyes after a while, and I never have that problem when reading a book or magazine. Print can also put more funding behind more extensive pieces, but I would assume they would have done that by now if it was viable.

Hardcore Gaming Magazine will run something every now and then that's helpful, like building an joystick or installing Linux on the PS3, that can be found online but also fits well in a format that is portable and easy to use when needed. I think Future does more targeted issues now; well, that and being okay with low profits is what Magweasel at GSW pointed to being what helped them steam along this year.
jjsimpso

PostPosted: Mon Jan 12, 2009 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

This is exactly what I began complaining about in this thread. Metacritic pays no heed whatsoever to the distribution of each site's scores. Also, their choice of metric is ambiguous with regard to their own distribution. Without some kind of nonlinear scale you can't adequately measure the range of quality, especially when you don't even use the entire range of your metric!
simplicio

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsimpso wrote:
dhex wrote:

This is exactly what I began complaining about in this thread. Metacritic pays no heed whatsoever to the distribution of each site's scores. Also, their choice of metric is ambiguous with regard to their own distribution. Without some kind of nonlinear scale you can't adequately measure the range of quality, especially when you don't even use the entire range of your metric!

My favorite part is where they arbitrarily assign "scores" to reviews from publications that don't use them.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a new twist on the notion of grade inflation.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
My favorite part is where they arbitrarily assign "scores" to reviews from publications that don't use them.

I really need to see an example of this. It's not that I don't believe it, but I'd like to see how anyone could possibly implement this process.

At any rate, I don't think EGM's review scores being in line with other publications is in any way a reason to deride them. 70-100 scale aside, I usually agree (with a degree of relativity) with most review score averages and am genuinely surprised at those who don't. I understand the desire to rally against these sites as assigning a letter grade to experiences, but as a concise buyer's guide it's pretty good!

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

using the metacritic spread as a buyers guide for fallout 3 - those 10/10 scores are a hair short of fraud. it's fucking ridiculous, actually, taking in the ending in particular.

it's not a terrible game. it's a 7 out of 10 game on an actual ten point scale, where anything under a 3 is terrible and 5 and under is average - that is to say, mediocre. it does some things well, but is 3/4ths done and 1/4 unfinished. who knows what interesting nonsense the dlc stuff will bring us.

anyway, why pub reviews are bullshit, in a nutshell:

http://www.crispygamer.com/features/2009-01-06/critic-in-exile-is-it-ok-to-finally-admit-that-i-didnt-really-like-fallout-3-all-that-much.aspx

ignore the whole "the inventory is complicated and i didn't know what to do thing" because his only exposure to even vaguely rpg games is from japan or outer space or whatever. and it's not his bag. but his reasoning is ridiculous. it had to be game of the year (in his vote) because everyone else liked it? why bother having a critic at all? just check sales data and go from there.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe on the 360 is a good example of them doing weird things. 1UP gave the game a B- while MetaCritic transformed that into a 67. I don't even know how you would get something as low as a 67 from a B-. I don't think I'm missing anything, either; I've checked 1UP to try to find a way to correspond a number to their score but didn't find anything.

Meta Critic: http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/xbox360/mortalkombatvsdcuniverse
1UP: http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3171368&p=4&sec=REVIEWS

Also: CrispyGamer is annoying. The site has a good idea that's actually implemented very well - gathering some of the best freelancers for steady content - and then fucks it up by being grating, like this ridiculous shit. They also ran the piece telling developers to shut up, because others need a chance to talk, and then promptly gave those other developers zero coverage during the next E3.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hadn't really looked at metacritic.
The cognitive dissonance between the quoted excerpt and the numerical score is kind of funny.

Or maybe it's my irritation at reviewers who don't "get" Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts.

Also, I don't know if it was cause or effect, but last fall I bought an issue of EGM for nostalgia, and man was it bad. Back when they were still kind of strong, and then had Seanbaby, and Hsu and Chan, it was very decent, and I'm bummed that Game Informer seems to be the sole survivor.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Tue Jan 13, 2009 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
Mortal Kombat vs DC Universe on the 360 is a good example of them doing weird things. 1UP gave the game a B- while MetaCritic transformed that into a 67. I don't even know how you would get something as low as a 67 from a B-. I don't think I'm missing anything, either; I've checked 1UP to try to find a way to correspond a number to their score but didn't find anything.

Here's a conversion chart.

That said, this is kind of interesting:
http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3172037
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/wii/raymanravingrabbidstvparty?q=Rayman%20Raving%20Rabbids%20TV%20Party

http://www.1up.com/do/reviewPage?cId=3172007
http://www.metacritic.com/games/platforms/ds/ultimateband?q=ultimate%20band

These are B- games turned into 67s. I guess 1up told them this is how they wanted their scores converted? At least it's consistent, and that consistency should lead to metacritic scores that are consistent on any game 1up has reviewed.

The Banjo reviews are really upsetting. It's probably pretty representative of how people might think of the game though. I showed it to Matt and he shrugged at the bad controls and got annoyed that you had to create your own cars. There's a 100 in there though and a lot of high 90s, showing that some people were able to appreciate it for what it is.

-Wes
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot of neat-o game-making people are getting together to pour one out for EGM et. al. tomorrow evening here in the city. I have sworn to regularly buy Edge each month, just to support what one of the last few good gaming magazines, while I can. I hug my EGMs from 1994 every now and then and sob.

I absolutely support the purchasing of Hardcore Gamer and its inevitable conversion into TGQ.
ryan

PostPosted: Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know. I mean, after TGQ started coming out, then HGM was like 'Oh! Well! Here's OUR magazine in PDF!' There is only one thing to do! TGQ: Engage the Strategy Guide Machine!
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Fri Jan 16, 2009 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
The Banjo reviews are really upsetting. It's probably pretty representative of how people might think of the game though. I showed it to Matt and he shrugged at the bad controls and got annoyed that you had to create your own cars. There's a 100 in there though and a lot of high 90s, showing that some people were able to appreciate it for what it is.

http://www.giantbomb.com/banjo-kazooie-nuts-bolts/61-20586/reviews/ - they get it...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: