The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I've been burgled.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: I've been burgled. Reply with quote

It happened while I was at work on Sunday, I came home during my break. Nothing seemed out of order until I went upstairs. Both my laptops have been stolen, the old wreck as well as the fresh Acer Aspire, not even a month old. Nothing else has been touched, not eveb ruffled with. They took the battery charger to the old one - which wouldn't work otherwise because the battery is dead - but not the the new one.

What annoys me though is it had to be someone familiar with my patterns. It's not like break-ins are an intelligent option on weekends, and neither the windows or doors have been tampered with. I think they jumped the garden gate - facing the street - and knew to expect that the back doors might be unlocked. Which in turn means they'd have to cross through the living room - where the TV, DVD player, PS2 along with a bunch of CDs, games, books and DVDs are - to go upstairs to my room and the study. Again, none of these things have been touched, even in my bedroom.

I'm betting some of the local kids might have done it and are trying to sell it. I'll try and see if anything dodgy pops up on Craigslist.

Honestly though, it's more of a nuisance because of all the files and data I had on them, rather than the actual physical loss. I'm not holding out much hope, and will sort things out with house insurance as soon as I get a crime number - forensics turned up this evening, but found very little - but with these sorts of contributing factors, who knows? Then again, they could both be in the drink by now.

So, I'm wondering if anyone here has advice? I'm dealing with insurance and the police response wasn't very inspiring, so I'm thinking about informing computer stores around here or something. I don't have any trace tech on either of the laptops, but is there any way to inform Microsoft or the like about these sorts of things?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sucks.

inform local pawn shops of make, model, serial, etc.

odd that they would pick only those two items. perhaps they were in a hurry? had anyone shady over? anyone who's friends with anyone who's shady?

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, I really haven't. There are dodgy kids who cruise the area at night who may have spotted me coming back from work in the evenings, or maybe a neighbour, but still...

I suspect it was a quick job too, but that they didn't so much as touch anything on their way upstairs is strange.
purplechair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Corporate shadowrunners. Next week, one of your tech guys will suddenly disappear on the way to work.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me just the other day, also. They took my PSP, our PS2, a bucket of PS2 games (every SingStar game! Why!), my girlfriend's guitar, my bike... some other minor stuff. Tore the security screen, and smashed the glass in the back door to get in.

Sounds pretty bad, but realistically, they left a TV, two computers, an X-Box 360, a Wii, dozens and dozens of more games worth much more money. We got off pretty lightly. Police forensics came, dusted for prints and didn't find anything, and none of the neighbours saw anything (though it's worth noting, everyone on this street has been broken into so far). Though the real estate guy came and replaced the glass. That was nice.

Seriously, they picked up the Wii, ejected Smash Bros. from it, looked at it, and decided not to take it. Motherfuckers.

P.S. I copied and pasted that from my LJ, so if that's the second time you've read that I apologise

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bizarre fickleness of thieves. Someone should write an article on this.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

petty thieves tend not to be the brightest bulbs in the bunch.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The police have closed the investigation ad filed it away.

They found squat.
Ryan - SuperWes' Bane

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Time to start up a neighborhood watch!
Redeye

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan - SuperWes' Bane wrote:
Time to start up a neighborhood watch!

How communist.

Guns, barbed wire, dogs, and hidden cameras are the way.
Cryoburner

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
What annoys me though is it had to be someone familiar with my patterns. It's not like break-ins are an intelligent option on weekends, and neither the windows or doors have been tampered with. I think they jumped the garden gate - facing the street - and knew to expect that the back doors might be unlocked. Which in turn means they'd have to cross through the living room - where the TV, DVD player, PS2 along with a bunch of CDs, games, books and DVDs are - to go upstairs to my room and the study. Again, none of these things have been touched, even in my bedroom.

It could have also been a complete stranger who overheard you talking about a new laptop to someone. They might have followed you home, then came back another day and waited for you to leave. They might have not been sure which laptop was your new one, and just took both and quickly left. On the other hand, maybe you interrupted them when coming home on break, and they intended to take more.

I like the shadowrunner theory too. Either way, it's probably a good idea to at least lock your door when going out. : )

The Great Unwashed wrote:
Sounds pretty bad, but realistically, they left a TV, two computers, an X-Box 360, a Wii, dozens and dozens of more games worth much more money. We got off pretty lightly.

Perhaps they thought the PS2 was a PS3, and decided it would be worth more. Or maybe they really like SingStar. They could probably only take what they could carry away on foot (or bike) and most likely wanted to get in and out within a few minutes.

The Great Unwashed wrote:
Police forensics came, dusted for prints and didn't find anything, and none of the neighbours saw anything (though it's worth noting, everyone on this street has been broken into so far). Though the real estate guy came and replaced the glass. That was nice.

It is so the real estate guy. : )

Really though, I'd have some sort of security system installed if everyone on your street has been burglarized. At least print up some fake security system signs.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news: The insurance company intend to replace both of them with equivalent models. So they're giving me this for the old Toshiba and a superior Asus model for the new Acer.

Anyone here have experience with Asus laptops? I hear they're solid and sturdy. Which is good, 'cause I still want a notebook that can endure transport and commuting. Better than Acer in that respect? Equivalent? I hear their hardware is second-to-none, either way.
Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

eeeeew

Vista
purplechair

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2008 2:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an Acer laptop that I've been using for about four years. It still runs, although some of the fans have packed in, so it can get pretty hot. During the winter, this is great!

I hope this helps.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, uh, anyone need a 17" laptop?
Malloc

PostPosted: Wed Nov 05, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
So, uh, anyone need a 17" laptop?

Actually, uh, yeah. Can trade you industry schwag and/or Namco games for it? Kinda all I got but hey. My girlfriend's super-nice laptop has been super-fucked for a while now, and all she ever used it for was to surf the internet, basically.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: