The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mega. Man. Nine.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Mega. Man. Nine. Reply with quote

Hey all! I'm gettin' Mega Man 9 for WiiWare tonight—I've been steeling myself by playing Mega Man 2 this weekend. Let's use this thread to discuss this retro-tastic release (on whatever platform you prefer) and compare our experiences!

Who else is getting the WiiWare release?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangely enough I'm probably getting the PS3 version because of video quality (360/PS3 are much higher video resolutions) and dpad (ps3>360).

And... I don't know when I'll be able to afford that version.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will there be any appreciable different in video between the three versions? I'll be interested to see.

Man, I wish I had taken that photo of the, er, special-looking Mega Man cosplayer from August's Fan Expo.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the WiiWare version can't be any higher than 640X480, so yeah, there will be a difference if you have an hdtv.

wourme

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading a little about Mega Man 9 today actually just made me want to try Mega Man 2. I'll probably get the VC version of that tonight (along with Super Dodge Ball). I watched friends play through 2 and 3 many years ago, but the only titles I ever owned and played myself were 1 and X.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Holdin' out for 360.

I'd get it on Wii, but I don't have enough space without deleting something, and if I was going to delete something I'd probably get Y's and/or one of the other games I've passed up recently because of space concerns.

I'd get it on PS3, but I'm a sucker for achievements/trophies and MM9 doesn't support them.

So I'm gettin' it on 360.

I am a little curious about what Matt's talking about though. I'm pretty sure Mega Man's going to run at 640x480, or possibly even 320x240, so I'm not sure the resolution thing is going to matter. That said, I'm wondering how the game runs on the Wii in widescreen. Since the Wii doesn't add pixels to do widescreen I'm assuming that it's just stretched, but I'm not sure.

You know what's strange? Smash Bros has a bunch of demos of classic games included. You'd think these would use the same emulator as the Wii itself, but it doesn't. The Smash Bros emulator puts the black boarders on the sides if you're playing on a widescreen TV. Technically this seems like it should cut pixels out of the image (640x480 minus 80-100 pixels on the horizontal side for the boarder), but I didn't notice anything in the bit of time I spent with it. This makes me wonder why Nintendo hasn't upgraded the emulator in the Wii to offer the same option.

But yeah, Mega Man 9! Should be pretty great! I'll find out next week!

-Wes

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just started MM9 this morning. I haven't played a mega man game since the early nineties when I was in elementary school, so that makes me that kind of nostalgic audience they're aiming for.

I beat: Gravity Man! But I haven't figured out how to use his weapon yet. Prize to the first person who gets past the elephants in Concrete Man or the Dragon in Magma Man.
jjsimpso

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be getting the PSN version. I assume that even though the graphics are NES-like, that they are still rendered at an HD res so that it will look good on HDTVs.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

staying with daphaknee and cossix, so i bought the game for them. daphaknee and i took turns playing through it. i managed to beat galaxy man and almost beat splash woman.

there's nothing progressive about this game. the director was arguing at some point that returning the series to the nes format is somehow progressive. no it's not. you made four unnecessary megaman sequels for the nes; here's another one. it doesn't solve a single one of the problems that plague those games, nor does it aspire to anything more than fanboy pandering. it's just another megaman sequel.

that said, it is definitely a megaman sequel. all of the elements of megaman are here: levels designed around a handful of clever hooks, which are explored in a variety of combinations, the little moments of design sadism. every megaman game since the second (or arguably the first) has been nothing more than a level pack; this pack contains good levels.

the one, pedantic thing that really annoys me is the screen transitions. they spent all this effort making a game the adheres to the nes palette - they even provide a sprite flicker option. and yet the screens all make neat hi-color fades in and out, rather than cycling through shades of the nes palette. it's lazy, and i find it jarring. everything else is spot-on nes: i love the color schemes of individual stages.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
the one, pedantic thing that really annoys me is the screen transitions. they spent all this effort making a game the adheres to the nes palette - they even provide a sprite flicker option. and yet the screens all make neat hi-color fades in and out, rather than cycling through shades of the nes palette. it's lazy, and i find it jarring. everything else is spot-on nes: i love the color schemes of individual stages.

I'm glad you noticed this, too. Bugs the hell outta me.

Also, shaper: this game looks fucking gross on my roommate's HD TV. The video is incredibly shimmery. This is especially noticeable after playing the Fantasy Zone II Remake (which is, uh, way better at the old-game-that's-actually-a-new-game thing than MM9 is, I think).
dessgeega

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i beat splash woman. and jewel man.

so how is the new tears of opa-opa? i'm thinking of picking up the collection.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
This is especially noticeable after playing the Fantasy Zone II Remake (which is, uh, way better at the old-game-that's-actually-a-new-game thing than MM9 is, I think).

I'm not surprised, the Fantasy Zone remake was pretty boss so I'd be pretty stunned if the sequel was a total mess. Fly left, fly right, walk on the ground, shoot bases then shoot at a cutesy boss, repeat for another seven-or-so stages, they'd have to really try if they wanted to fuck that up.

I think I want 2D remakes of old SEGA games on wiiware now.

Mega Man 9 should be out Friday in PAL land, I'll have to decide then if I'm going to buy it. On one hand it's another Mega Man, that's always a fun way to kill time on a rainy day and the music should be really good but then again it's another Mega Man and I think that a game that intentionally goes nine years into the past yet has micro-transactions attached to it is a fucking stupid idea.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm surprised at the negative reaction to the game—wait a minute, this is TGQ; no I'm not. So far I think the game is excellent. Here are some thoughts I posted at IC:

Quote:
I got the WiiWare version yesterday as well, to much excitement. I bought Mega Man 2 on the weekend and have been loving it immensely. This was actually a relief for me, since the last MM game I played was on the anniversary collection (MM3, I think) and I didn't enjoy myself.

Anyway, I agree about the intro. There are some hilariously true-to-form fades and animations, like the repeated explosions, and the yellow-to-brown-to-black clunky fade of background graphics. But there are some feels-like-a-Flash-movie transitions that most people won't notice, but nerds like us will.

As for the game proper, though: wow. I only played two stages (and beat one of them), but holy fuck, am I feelin' it. The music on Galaxy Man's stage is bang-on classic. The challenge so far seems great; it's tough, but I enjoy the pain. By the end of each bite-sized level, I feel like I've learned something—about myself.

Not to sound silly, but playing Mega Man 9 has reminded me why action games on the NES often feel like the "best" games ever made. When it all clicks, it's amazing.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

so how is the new tears of opa-opa? i'm thinking of picking up the collection.

It's the best Fantasy Zone ever. It comes on a disc with just about every other game that had Opa-Opa in it for $30. I'd say it's worth picking up.

(the youtube link in my earlier post has a link to the windows trial of the game, so you might as well check it out if you're still on the fence)
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the PS3 version looks like smeary vaseline bs (no sharp pixels). The game is regressive and full of bullshit level design. Color me exceptionally disappointed in this. The only reason I got it was because I'm sick and had to stay at home in front of the TV. I can think of hundreds of better games to play, including pretty much any other Mega Man game. Color me pissed off. I hope this blows up in Capcom's face. This is like Contra 4 all over again.

Bobby_C

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually I like the regressive aspect. If I wanna play a new Mega Man without having the focus on various bio-metal platforming powers or card collecting that's pretty much my only option.

Plus I'm pretty glad they took the slide out, I never quite managed to get used to that, somehow it required a kind of coordination I don't seem to have (even though I can otherwise go through MM-style platforming fine). It sticks to simple ideas and tries interesting variations on them, especially through the wily levels. I'm fine with that.
jjsimpso

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So do the PS3 visuals appear to be scaled? I'm shocked if that is the case. Of course, I guess it could still be kind of difficult to create nice looking 8 bit graphics on a large digital display. I was going to pay for the full version straight away, but I guess it may be wise to try the demo first. What with all the negative comments and all. Sad
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah i was reading about how the ps3 and 360 versions are weird looking
im glad i didnt go that route
i mean why would i care if a nintendo game is in high definition anyway, i can barely tell the difference with modern games, but im old fashioned like that

i dunno if i really carea bout this game much, i mean thanks for the fan service and all but im pretty sure im goign to forget about it in a couple of weeks

ALTHOUGH I REALLY APPRECIATE THE LITTLE TOUCHES
the ink turning you black
the balloon deflating
the steam that comes off of you when you stand next to fire

and a lot of the levels are really bright and garish and god they look pretty good

but eh
over it
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like this game, it's definitely harder than 2 or 3, but there's some clever stuff going on. Aesthetically it seems to be a mixed bag. Definitely not nearly as coherent as 2, but it has it's moments...I wish every enemy didn't have a face.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobby_C wrote:
Actually I like the regressive aspect.

That's cool.

You wouldn't if you'd played Contra 4 though.

seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't understand the hate.

As a man who's played through both Contra: the Hard Corps and Mega Man 3 dozens of times, I can't see the comparisons between Contra 4 and Mega Man 9.

Contra 4 was degenerate, a game whose sole redeeming characteristic was its ocassionally fine music mix. Comparing it to something as sublime as Hard Corps would be silly.

Maybe the bar for Mega Man isn't as high... that may be it, but I don't see anything disappointing about this game. It's another Mega Man game, more or less, with the most fascinating thing about the game being the elements that wouldn't have been there had this thing been made in the NES-era.

1) The storyline. The writing level seems artificially high; the story too, seems way too complex for a Mega Man game.

2) The music. It's a treat. It feels like PS1 Mega Man X music composed for an NES chip. SInce I loved the music in Mega Man X4-X5, this makes me feel all kinds of fine.

These are small things, sure, but what were people expecting from this release anyway? I've played more Mega Man games than I care to admit, and have hated them as much as I've been fond of them, and this one feels like one of the better ones. It's an interesting experiment and a fine little game.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed this game quite a lot.

I was playing it on my HD CRT on the PS3 and wondering what all the fuss was about in terms of anything but the Wii version looking weird, but then I saw it on my friend's PS3 LCD and oh holy jesus ew. If you have a CRT, play it on that if it's at all feasible, and get the Wii version if you can. Wii on an SD is your best bet for graphical fidelity by a mile.

The only Mega Man games I've ever finished are 2, 5, and now 9, and while the game isn't blowing my mind or anything, I'm not jaded enough that just the idea of it doesn't fill me with a weird sense of glee. It's close enough to the NES that I don't mind shoving my suspension of disbelief over the line and letting myself totally get into the vibe of it, back when I used to sit there and feverishly clear Mega Man 5 in one sitting, and I'm pretty thrilled that a game from 2008 can near-perfectly bring back that mindset.

I like how the levels are controller-snappingly hard the first time (except Magma Man, what's up with his stage? cakewalk) but once you know how to move through them it quickly becomes second nature. I can basically breeze through the robot master stages now, and that's after a whopping 3 hours of play (which admittedly contain like 50 game overs). The weapon weaknesses for the bosses make a weird bit of sense once you let them sink in, and Wiley's Castle maintains that neat you-almost-feel-like-you're-cheating thing where you virtually have to exploit game mechanics to pass through rooms unharmed, like the plasma jet room where if you screw up, there's a ladder there that lets you conveniently reset the room by scrolling it offscreen temporarily.

Worth the $10.
aderack

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there no checkpoints in the Cement Man level? Jeez...

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So if my choices are 360 vs Wii I should go for Wii?
Guess it would be a crisper controller if nothing else...
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played the PS3 demo on my LCD and it looked fine. I'm not sure how much better it could have looked. I don't believe there is a Wii demo available - or for any game on the service, if memory serves - so it's tough to compare. What is wrong with the PS3 version's graphics, exactly? All of the videos on youtube are fuzzy, so none of them look great.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
Are there no checkpoints in the Cement Man level? Jeez...

It's riiiight after the elephants. There's one checkpoint for stage, which, yeah, is kinda stingy. Sometimes they're in questionable places, too.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go for Wii for sure. The Wiimote-as-NES-gamepad just can't be beat.

I find Mega Man 9 to be damn hard, but in a good way. I think it's an honest growth of the Mega Man formula that proves there are still a few tricks to be had in old-fashioned hoppin' and poppin' gameplay.*

*sorry if this sounded like a GamePro article
Malloc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I played the PS3 demo on my LCD and it looked fine. I'm not sure how much better it could have looked.

How new is your LCD? I've heard that the game is similar to trying to run old-school stuff on LCDs of Christmas Past. Screens from a few years back render SD, Scanline-having stuff like absolute shit whereas that problem has been essentially solved with the recent crop.

S'actually one of the reasons I went for a Tube HD (I like old stuff) and then next thing I hear is "Oh recent LCDs look fine" and now I'm looking at my TV all like Sad
ryan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah yeah, it's not even 2 years old. I was wondering if I was going nuts. Do not lie to me, eyes!

And my eyes have earned yet another reprieve...for now!
JamesE

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
there's nothing progressive about this game. the director was arguing at some point that returning the series to the nes format is somehow progressive. no it's not. you made four unnecessary megaman sequels for the nes; here's another one. it doesn't solve a single one of the problems that plague those games, nor does it aspire to anything more than fanboy pandering. it's just another megaman sequel.

Actually, what struck me when playing it was just how progressive the design was. The series has gone from a run n' gun with the odd jumping feat to eight or more honed, challenging obstacle courses. Remember playing Mega Man 2 as a kid and the Quickman stage was a fuck because of the laser grids? They finally realised that each stage should be centered around a setpiece like that. It makes me happy and excited - every level is utterly unique just like the old Genesis Sonic games. Mega Man was never like that and games today aren't quite like that. 9 is a unique snowflake of a game today. The bosses aren't jokes, their lairs aren't bores.

Totally fair, too - every little thing that can utterly fuck you up gets a non-fatal airing before the event. Just like Gears on insane, when I mess up at this game I know it's because I fucked up. Then I continue and work out some insane shit, like using the black hole bomb to fuck over the fire dragons.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
fuck fuck fuck fuck fuck. fucked fucking fuck. fuck. fuck fuck.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fuck?

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been yelling FUCK at the teevee a lot when mega man 9 is on.

(I also screamed "BAG OF WANK" at it once)
Friendly Stranger
Friendly Stranger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So this is on Xbox Live Arcade now! The trial game only lets you play Concrete Man's stage, though. That third elephant is pretty tough! I like the feel of the game, the way it feels when you move around and jump and such. Really like the retro styling as well. The 360 d-pad surprisingly does not suck with this game. Probably because you can only move in four directions, I'm betting.

It looks awesome in HD, by the way. No shimmers or anything except the intentional sprite flicker and such. It doesn't fill the screen entirely though, there are two slim black bars on either side of the screen boxing things in. Other than that everything is wonderfully clear and sharp. You could scrape your knees on these pixels!

This one's on the list now of Live Arcade games I'm getting when I have the money. That list has been steadily growing these past few months, actually.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My roommate, while working through Wiley's devious fortress: "Wiley, you card!"

I'm still stuck with one special power. My roommate has the will power of an animal with a lot of will power.
WarpZone

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JamesE wrote:
Remember playing Mega Man 2 as a kid and the Quickman stage was a fuck because of the laser grids? They finally realised that each stage should be centered around a setpiece like that.

It varies. Concrete Man has birds 'n pits, then elephants, then a half-realized fall-through-blocks section, then two screens of elevator platforms before the boss. Not especially coherent design.

Tornado and Plug Man's stages cleverly reuse ideas and are my favorites right now, but there's a number of post-MM2 stages in a similar vein. Maybe MM9 has collected more of these than usual, but that doesn't strike me as progressive.

Other things, like pausing to equip Rush Coil and unpausing and jumping on him and collecting the screw and then pausing again to switch back also don't strike me as progressive. When I was doing this it suddenly hit me: what if you had a 'Rush' button to call him instantly? What if a game was based around smoothly working with Rush, where you instantly summoned him in and out of danger, as a decoy, or platform, or, hilariously, launched a boss into the air? Why hasn't even one Mega Man tried something like that? That would be progressive.
purplechair

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably because they didn't have enough buttons.
JamesE

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Concrete Man isn't a great example of the game as a whole, nor a fair one.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite enjoying this. The whole 'obstacle course' thing is pretty well done - each stage is really bastard hard in at least one place, but there's techniques to get by. I've been playing it for a couple of days, and there's about three or four stages on which I can get to the boss with most of my health left.

I suck at the bosses, though. I managed to beat Jewel Man and Galaxy Man just by taking a few hits and doggedly shooting through their defences and using an energy tank, but I'm totally lacking any finesse. I found the black hole bomb was pretty good on Magma Man, but I think it's probably pretty good against most bosses. I get the feeling that I'm going to finish the game by collecting loads of screws and tanking up on, er, energy tanks, and then just restocking my health and black hole bombs until each boss is dead. Which sucks.

I might also add that the only Mega Man game I've seriously played before this was Mega Man X, so I can't really comment on how it compares to the original series. But, like, it might not be very progressive compared to Mega Man games of yore, but I have a vague feeling that it's less regressive than a lot of contemporary games. I haven't decided if that's just me being a rose-tinted-spectacled twat, though.
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I been improperly inattentive? What are the bolts all about?
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DOWNLOADBLE CONTENT

Quote:
First of all: go buy the Endless Level, for 3 dollars it's the best
deal video games have ever seen. There are an unspecified number of
pre-set stages, some of them remakes from Mega Man 1 and 2, some
original. Every 30 screens (about the length of a regular stage) you
fight a boss. It's truly amazing to behold. Every time you play, the
level will be different. There are reports of stages altering their
enemies slightly as well. I've seen remakes of Heat Man's stage, Dr.
Wily Stage 1 (Mega Man 1), Bubble Man's stage, and Stone Man, amoung
others. Eventually a comprehensive list will be compiled, and I
suspect that there will be around 200 unique stages... more
platforming than you'll find in the 12 standard levels of Mega Man 9.

OH MY GOD
AWESOME

also you can get protoman for two dollars but he takes double damage and gets double knockback
he can charge slide and block bullets while jumping but man
double damage AND knockback?

fuck that im just gonna play randomly generated megaman
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: