The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Text adventures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Nickel and Dime Game Design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KinokoFry

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Text adventures Reply with quote

Are there any decent programs out there for making text adventures?

How about the ones that also have a half-screen image display?
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inform 7 is pretty rad. It has some rudimentary graphic support to it, too; you might want to look at a couple of the Glulx graphics extensions to see what fits your needs.

(What the hell is Glulx? Well, Inform 7 can compile to two formats. One is the Z-Machine, which was the format used by Infocom back in the day. The great thing about this format is that it runs on fucking everything -- there are interpreters for every platform you can imagine. I'm playing Being Andrew Plotkin on my phone right now. The less great thing about this format is that it has a number of limitations that no longer make sense on modern computers -- most having to do with the size of the game, but the lack of flexible graphics support is the other biggie.

So Glulx is a format defined by the community to overcome these limitations. The great this about this is that, hey, no limitations! The less great thing is that there are vastly fewer Glulx interpreters out there than there are Z-Code interpreters. So, you know, there's that.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made a text adventure in inform 7 in a weekend. i'm glad it exists: a language for developing games which are played with natural language sentences, which itself is coded with natural language sentences. since it's easier for me to implement simple logic in a more traditional coding environment, though, i've been trying to learn tads.

though speaking of coding, text adventures, and talking up my abilities, i once coded a pretty decent interactive fiction parser (well, decent for my purposes).

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys! I've downloaded Inform 7 and I'm gonna give it a go when I'm not busy with other things.

I'm not sure how I feel about the natural language sentance thing. I am pretty comfortable with typical coding logic myself and I wonder if this might make it more difficult.

Still, we'll see!

I'll also take a look at your parser soon, Dess.

Thanks!
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure you can still use the old LISP like syntax with Inform. If worse comes to worst you could track down Inform 6. It's plenty solid.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extrabastardformula wrote:
I'm pretty sure you can still use the old LISP like syntax with Inform. If worse comes to worst you could track down Inform 6. It's plenty solid.

It's worth noting that Inform 7 still contains the entirety of Inform 6 within it. It's possible to use the Inform 7 program to compile games that are designed (almost entirely) using Inform 6's syntax.
Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Sep 18, 2008 6:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The head of that Artsy Game Incubator program I keep yapping about, Jim Munroe, recently wrote a text adventure using Inform 7. I don't think I'm allowed to post the link, but I'll ask him. Michael Cho, one of my favourite illustrators of all time, did several pieces of art for the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Nickel and Dime Game Design All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: