The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can't stop listening
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He drinks a lot?
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sonic Youth. Lots and lots of sonic youth.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Their cover of Within You, Without You is pretty rad. I think they only ever did it live. Shaper, you should try to find it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i never got into sonic youth. dunno why.

alec empire is a really nice guy; dunno if that's brit slang for "standup comedian" or whatever.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's slang for heavy alcoholic. Don't know what James is on about.

ATR is the best joke band ever.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh. he was sober the first and last time i met him. it's a great story involving a power cord and a knife.

http://dhex.wordpress.com/2008/09/02/record-shopping-is-always-better-when-drunk/
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i never got into sonic youth. dunno why.

This is pretty much my point. I'm going to put together some stuff of theirs I really think you may dig (I feel like Akron/Family isn't too much of a comparison stretch here). I'll see if I can get you interested or not.

I already sent you one track, but that's not really... well anything.

Dracko wrote:
ATR is the best joke band ever.

You know, I really liked Atari Teenage Riot the first time I heard them, so I made the mistake of buying their album. After I listened to the whole thing I didn't like'm anymore.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't like ATR, even when Trent said he did.

Anyway, do you like Boards of Canada? Would you like some music that sounds similar but not quite like Boards of Canada? Then you should listen to some stuff from Hidden Music Records!

http://www.hiddenmusic.co.uk/releases/symbolic/

They have released a few albums/singles/eps for free. The latest one is posted above and I have found it quite enjoyable... perfect for a rainy sunday, which just happens to be the exact kind of day it is today.

Redpoint (I can only assumed they are named after that one BoC track) also have a few things up there for free. They provided a couple tracks for Space Giraffe and that's how I found out about this label.

Usually I hate dudes copying other peoples styles so blatantly, but it's not as bad as Godsmack or Halo in Reverse because it's just chillin' music and no retarded lyrics and singing.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 06, 2008 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grabbed Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz today. I was surprised by how much more accessible it is than Coltrane's Ascension. Very listenable, not at all foreboding to anyone who appreciates most jazz.

And the verve jazz masters series compilation of Nina Simone songs. I'm one song in. She's incredible.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new TV on the Radio leaked. It sounds like Dave Sitek's recent broadening of palette with the Scarlett record has continued, but I don't think it works as well here. The vocals and structures are way more pop than they have been, and the sound is generally lighter (and too focused on the drums, I feel). It all sounds like instead of adopting a few outside influences and integrating them well as they have in the past, they're grabbing at too many of them now and ending up sounding weak and imitative.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

rock the bells was breathtaking.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, that main stage really got EVERYBODY, didn't it? Bambaataa must have been over on the other one wondering "who the fuck are these kids?"
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I've been listening to the Flaming Lips a bit more lately since I finally got them back on my iPod.

Anyways, I think I finally agree with Toups that the Soft Bulletin is their best album. I use to Yoshimi was better.

That is all.

simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd agree with that.

Have you listened to the Super Furry Animals? They mine a similar overdriven psych/rock vein, though with roots more in '60s psych-pop than '80s indie rock, if that makes sense.

I'm coming to realize Beck is pretty much dead to me with everything after Midnight Vultures, which I think was his finest moment.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio, I am in love with Theory of Machines. Finding any School of Emotional Engineering is hard, though, especially the remixes they did for Björk.

Did you like Jesu's Heart Ache of Sun Down/Sun Rise at all?
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, I still haven't found any Jesu I like. I did just try to order this Oxbow/Broadrick/Stephen O'Malley record, but I'm nearly certain there aren't actually any copies left. I really love the fuck out of Oxbow though.

But really, Theory of Machines does everything I've always wanted Jesu and the like to do, so I'm not trying much anymore, especially as Justin goes further and further into drum machine/M83 territory. It really is a fantastic album.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Beck is pretty much dead to me with everything after Midnight Vultures

me too, mostly. i'm one of the odd few who likes sea change, though.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Wow, that main stage really got EVERYBODY, didn't it?

it really did.

i've never seen an audience explode like they did when atcq closed with scenario.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
I'd agree with that.

Have you listened to the Super Furry Animals? They mine a similar overdriven psych/rock vein, though with roots more in '60s psych-pop than '80s indie rock, if that makes sense.

I'm coming to realize Beck is pretty much dead to me with everything after Midnight Vultures, which I think was his finest moment.

I agree, although there's a smattering of good tracks on his post-Midnight Vultures albums. There's a song on The Information called Strange Apparition which is some kind of Lynyrd Skynyrd pastiche, and it's really good. Also The Golden Age and Lonesome Tears off Sea Change are excellent, even though the album as a whole is not the best. You know this new one is sort of nifty, too. So yeah, although the good songs are more spread out now, they still offer thrills not to be found on Midnite Vultures or earlier, so they're worth checking out.

I'd like to hear the tracks he cut with Cornelius and Dan the Automator. I bet they are rubbish or he would have released them! Also remember when Midnight Vultures was going to be a double album but then he decided he'd release the second CD at a later date? What happened to that?
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio: http://www.youtube.com/user/ilostasock
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That six guitars one is hilarious.

Have I sold you on Ice Bound Majesty yet?
http://www.myspace.com/iceboundmajesty
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what is oxbow like?

i had a next door neighbor in college who played beck whenever he was getting high, so i heard a lot of it through the walls. i never cared for beck myself. still don't.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey does anyone know of a program (for macs) that will let me split one really long track (e.g. a podcast) into a bunch of smaller ones?

Listening to the latest Radiohead concert, it occurs to me that Phil Selway is the finest piece of this very fine ensemble. If you can stomach them at all (and I know some of you cannot) make an attempt to listen to Selway's percussion on this version of "15 Step". I'm not sure I believe yet how elegantly he underscores the song's more central synth beats.

Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz stands as a testament to the genre, but behind that ambitious name lies a very structured piece. Though totally improvised, the technical and formal aspects of the recording shine through often enough to produce a surprisingly accessible sound--a good amount of the time the instruments imitate familiar noises, anyway. Perhaps the most daring aspect of the session is its use of stereo recording to isolate the two pieces in the "double quartet." Twin bands individually play from each speaker. It's especially fascinating during the solos, when a player from one quartet shadows the spasms and leaps of the corresponding instrument from the other. Heaven near the end when the basses start playing second fiddle to one another.

If you couldn't tell from my past few posts, I'm teaching myself to listen to jazz. It's a fun process.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:

Listening to the latest Radiohead concert, it occurs to me that Phil Selway is the finest piece of this very fine ensemble.

I dunno, I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that the finest piece is probably Thom Yorke.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lololol
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, Dracko, we get it.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See, I don't think you do!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hey does anyone know of a program (for macs) that will let me split one really long track (e.g. a podcast) into a bunch of smaller ones?

audacity!

http://audacity.sourceforge.net/

some mp3 players can actually just read marker segments as "tracks" too but it's prolly easier to do that. just remember to fade in and out a wee tiny little wee bit on each one or you'll hear an annoying otherworldly clack.

been listening to a lot of mogwai since i'm seeing them in two weeks.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Orb Live 93 :: 39 eviL brO

It's utterly fantastic. The version of Towers of Dub on there is probably the best-ever Orb track. It's the perfect mixture of dub, electronica and acid-freakout.

Any pain?

Any pain?

Any pain?
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHERE ARE THOSE DOCTORS?!?!?

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
what is oxbow like?

The lead singer of Oxbow is a MMA guy; their shows are pretty well known for him literally kicking ass in the audience (and he wrote a book about fighting) while wearing only underwear, so there's an obsession with masculinity there, but there's also a surprising amount of emotional fragility too; these guy once did a cover album of songs written by women, and vocally there's plenty of anguish throughout their recordings. Think metal/blues/noise/riff-rock/Maja Ratkje and you might get close, under the specter of GG Allin-style confrontation.

helicopterp wrote:

Ornette Coleman's Free Jazz stands as a testament to the genre, but behind that ambitious name lies a very structured piece. Though totally improvised, the technical and formal aspects of the recording shine through often enough to produce a surprisingly accessible sound--a good amount of the time the instruments imitate familiar noises, anyway. Perhaps the most daring aspect of the session is its use of stereo recording to isolate the two pieces in the "double quartet." Twin bands individually play from each speaker. It's especially fascinating during the solos, when a player from one quartet shadows the spasms and leaps of the corresponding instrument from the other. Heaven near the end when the basses start playing second fiddle to one another.

Progenitor of the genre, actually. Along with Coltrane's Ascension and Broetzmann's Machine Gun. In some ways it holds similarities to the latter; Machine Gun was recorded (with an insanely loud octet) in such a tiny basement space that they actually split the group into two and put them in separate tents so they could even hear what was going on in their section. Also, if you get into these other two records (Machine Gun got a fantastic rerelease last year), see if you can find Rova:Orkestrova's Electric Ascension which is a fantastic updated take on Coltrane's original, which is also pretty tightly structured.
Dracko

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
(and he wrote a book about fighting)

Which is pretty good, incidentally.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
Also, if you get into these other two records...

I've been working on Ascension for a little while now. It's much tougher than both Free Jazz (one of the reasons why I find the latter so listenable). It's especially difficult if you're already used to Giant Steps, A Love Supreme, Blue Train, My Favorite Things, etc.

Thanks for the Machine Gun suggestion! I'm going to try to find it next time I go to the record store.
simplicio

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try some sound samples first though; Machine Gun's a pretty apt name for it (it's actually Brotzmann's nickname; he's probably the foremost name in completely wild and muscular blowing), as it's nearly uniformly harsh, pretty far removed from melodious jazz.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dug out that old Piledriver album, it's awesome. The lyrics are amazing, you really don't get songs like Sex With Satan or Sodomize the Dead anymore unless you're from South America or some shit.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brook Pridemore is totally great, although I really wish the "antifolk" chaps would have a less pretentious name. You know, like "folk." Listen to this song.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Dracko

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wired.com/entertainment/music/news/2008/09/nin_show?currentPage=all#

I would love to see this, but I somehow doubt they'd ship all that gear to Europe.

I'd settle for a live album, though. Some of these interpretations are gorgeous.

I've been listening to Deaf Center on the recommendation of Ben Frost's MySpace posts. I am not disappointed in the least. He also hints at new material. I still wish some of his previous stuff was more accessible for purchase.

dhex, I think you could go for Ben Frost.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

saw mogwai and fuck buttons last night.

fuck buttons blew me away. mogwai was great but we were too close to the scottish fuckhole contingent - they replace the dourness of brits with being an annoying, tiny drunk.

it's a living, i guess?

terminal 5 is a nice venue but i really don't understand why the more chill the show - mogwai isn't exactly a HEY I HAVE A HUGE DICK kinda band - the more shitty the audience. thankfully the nerd stank faded as more short girls pushed their way through the crowd.

edit: the fuck buttons album is one of the best things i've heard all year.

http://dhex.wordpress.com/2008/09/19/mogwai-fuck-buttons-terminal-5/

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 5:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who knew the new tv on the radio would be so catchy?
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.avalancheinc.co.uk/greymachine.html
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dhex.wordpress.com/2008/09/23/my-bloody-valentine-live-roseland-september-22nd-2008/

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://newyork.craigslist.org/mnh/msg/856091106.html

I don't think this is a good sign as to Bill Laswell's health...
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.poingly.com/
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the new mogwai is...well, if you liked the direction of mr. beast, you will like this. if you're pitchfork, you're mad it doesn't sound like young team.

idiots.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man the new bohren und der club of gore is out

if youu like dark ominous jazzy creepy music you should give it a WHIRL
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dhex.wordpress.com/2008/10/03/mogwai-the-hawk-is-howling/

short version: mogwai is the prom music of the future

if you like more sad sack funeral musics, i think this is a good choice as well
http://www.myspace.com/crippledblackphoenix
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://dhex.wordpress.com/2008/10/03/autechre-and-the-myth-of-difficult-music/

i started this three months ago. i probably reads like that, too.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://vimeo.com/1847116
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw Fleet Foxes last night. Even better live than on the cd.
Dracko

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.dj-surgeon.com/ -> Media -> Audio

PWOG - Maenad - KK Records
Surgeon - Waiting For Me - Counterbalance
British Murder Boys - Don't Give Way To Fear - Counterbalance
Cursor Miner - Everybody Want Power - Combat
Aphex Twin - Bucephalus Bouncing Ball (Surgeon Remake)
Surgeon - Klonk part 2 - Dynamic Tension
Hiroaki Iizuka - Superstition
Scuba - Ruptured (Surgeon remix) - Hotflush
Surgeon - Screw The Roses (Live in Oslo)
Psychic TV - Ov Power
Vex'd - Lion - Planet Mu
Coil - The Snow (Jack Dangers remix) - Torso
DHS - The House Of God 2000 (DHS remix)
Surgeon - Bad Hands Break (Live in Oslo)
DJ Bone - Tru Warriors (ritual mix) - Subject Detroit
AFX - Elephant Song - Rephlex
British Murder Boys - Splinter - Downwards
Martyn - Broken - Revolve:r
Zhark 2
Ancient Methods - First Method - Ancient Methods
Smear - Transect - Forward Strategy Group
Syncom Data - Beyond The Stars (Speedy J remix) - SD Records
Cyrus - Enforcement (Mills mix) - Basic Channel
Millsart - Step To Enchantment (Stringent) - Axis
Nine Inch Nails - At The Heart Of It All (Created By Aphex Twin) - Warp
Grovskopa - Sex And Violins (Surgeon remix) - Token
Vex'd - Pop Pop - Planet Mu
Bjorn Svin - Eat Like Hawks
Surgeon - Magneze - Downwards
Jeff Mills - Very EP - Axis
Aphex Twin - Flaphead - R&S
Nitzer Ebb - Join In The Chant (Surgeon remake)
Oscar Mulero - 46 (Antaganists Mix) - Warmup
Polygon Window - Quoth - Warp
Whitehouse - Killing Hurts Give You The Secrets - Susan Lawley
Scorn - The Palomar - Ad Noiseam
British Murder Boys - Rule By Law - Counterbalance
Surgeon - Shaper Of The Unknown - Counterbalance
Go Hiyama - Geometrical (Surgeon remix) - Audio Assault
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 20 of 22

Jump to: