The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

dhex
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 46, 47, 48  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah you just download something and it does the work for you

its not really like making a playlist at all
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

web 2.0 kinda creeps me out. i must be getting old.

speaking of creepy:

http://www.tsa.gov/blog/2008/08/keep-your-lap-top-in-if-you-have.html

and predictable and sad:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/08/20/AR2008082003956.html

Quote:
She started writing a fictionalized story of Aisha, a young and much-beloved wife of Muhammad. Seven drafts later, in April 2007, Random House gave Jones a $100,000 contract for "The Jewel of Medina" and a sequel.

"Jewel" was a Book-of-the-Month Club selection for August 2008, and Random House's imprint, Ballantine Books, named it one of their featured books. Jones gave Random House a list of people who might be interested in reviewing the book or writing blurbs for it.

All was well until April 30, when one suggested reviewers hit the alarm switch. Denise Spellberg, who teaches Middle Eastern studies at the University of Texas and has written about Aisha, called her own editor -- at Knopf, another Random House imprint -- to say the book was inflammatory and problematic.

According to Natasha Kern, Jones's agent, Spellberg went on to hire an attorney and threatened to sue if her name wasn't taken out of the book's bibliography. "She said it would endanger her family," said Kern, who said Spellberg then contacted several Muslim Web sites and told them to oppose the book's coming publication. Earlier this month, Spellberg wrote in a letter to the Wall Street Journal that the book was "provocative" and followed a tradition of anti-Islamic writings that "use sex and violence to attack the Prophet and his faith." She did not return a phone call or e-mail message for this story.

Jones says the book has no sex scenes, though it explores Aisha's relationship with Muhammad in the first person and includes steamy scenes like this one: "Scandal blew in on the errant wind when I rode into Medina clutching Safwan's waist. My neighbors rushed into the street. What they saw: my wrapper fallen to my shoulders, unheeded. Loose hair lashing my face. The wife of God's Prophet entwined around another man."

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://community.feministing.com/2008/08/how_to_raise_a_feminist_son.html

despite some of the tone of the piece, it raises some obvious questions about raising children for anyone. it is a topic of particular interest to people with fringe beliefs, religious or political or otherwise.

my only real criticism is that "toughening up" is not a bad thing! being emotionally vapid leaves you open to massive amounts of manipulation by anyone even mildly skilled in fucking with others. (i.e. a lot of people)
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ignoring the universality of "rough play" with boys (or girls with sufficiently high levels of testosterone) at even very young ages, i do think yelling at people - or even going out of your way to correct people - who make the assumption that her son will be like 90+ % of all other males on planet earth and seek out women to mate as he grows up with is probably more damaging than "so you got a girlfriend yet?" being asked of a five year old. or at the very least, it's pretty fucking weird.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.positiveliberty.com/2008/08/selfishness-egoism-and-altruistic-libertarianism.html
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://orwelldiaries.wordpress.com/

neat idea. quality varies on the day being presented, of course.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stanley fish, in pointing out the obvious, sometimes exceeds his carrying capacity.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.ny1.com/content/top_stories/85075/nypd-traffic-agent-hit-by-car-is-laid-to-rest/Default.aspx

the baby died after eight days in nicu.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that's such an awful story.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 8:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

on the positive side, dozens of people rushed over to actually lift the bus off the woman (she was knocked by the first impact into the path of the bus).

that's heartening, especially since my nyc experience where helping hands have been needed was definitely mixed.

speaking of mixed:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3553475

there's obviously more to the story than "he's too good" - there's a lot of whiny parents out there, too.

but still. sad.

or it could just be this:
Quote:
Jericho's coach and parents say the boy is being unfairly targeted because he turned down an invitation to join the defending league champion, which is sponsored by an employer of one of the league's administrators.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

speaking of mixed:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/news/story?id=3553475

there's obviously more to the story than "he's too good" - there's a lot of whiny parents out there, too.

but still. sad.

Good god he's an escapee from an Ayn Rand novel!

Seriously, I can kind of see both sides of this, there's gotta be some kind of third way to still let him pitch...
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"little league harrison bergeron" seems appropriate.

in lighter news:
http://newyork.citysearch.com/review/7087707

read the review for "I was HORRIFIED at their RUDENESS"

i love grassroots, so this makes me love it more. i have had zero.0 problems there in, dear god, a decade. i don't know what i would have to do to get on their shit list.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/education/24evolution.html?pagewanted=5&em

man that teacher is all sorts of patient. good for him.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://crymod.com/thread.php?threadid=35022

http://www.veoh.com/videos/v15614307QHyrSB46

A medieval town made in the Crysis engine. The first link goes to a forum thread with pictures, the second goes to a video walkthrough. The images are much more impressive since the videos shrink it down and are too compressed.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy shit. that looks amazing!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 26, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"anime eye" contact lenses

japan
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, it's relatively painless for body modification...so that's something.

skull cracking at the dnc:
http://www.ep.tc/intro-archive032.html
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

not really related:

PostPosted: Wed Aug 27, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/education/24evolution.html?pagewanted=5&em

man that teacher is all sorts of patient. good for him.

Yeah, Florida is absolutely one of the worst statesfor this sort of thing. I kind of wonder about the finer details in the NYT write-up. For instance, the glimmer of hope at the end, in which the creationist student actually answers the given question: was it really just because the teacher failed his ass when he didn't answer before? I'm sure that's what I would have done.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

who knows? i'd think, though, that it was a mixture of the two. i'd probably be less blase about creationism if i lived in a place where it was common and up front, or i had kids in a system like that. as it is now, i only have contact with scientifically illiterate liberals, who are comical in their own right. (idiots with superiority complexes)

speaking of superiority complexes, i was watching some french news show on cuny tv and they had a clip of a russian tv broadcast about saakashvili that not only pulled some awesome hitler-related post-production (screen goes black and white and loops a few seconds of video so it looks like he's thrashing back and forth) and apparently some phrenology (i.e. his eyebrow ridges and forehead indicate he's insane.)

now, i'm sure it's all western propaganda and the like but i feel like that family guy bit where the two gyllenhals (sp?) are arguing with each other about who's more offputting, and the father comes along and says "kids, kids...please, you're both just terrible."
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.aclu.org/drugpolicy/medmarijuana/36496prs20080820.html

is there perhaps hope in dope after all?
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, the Georgia war was a goldmine for comedy.

It would've been even better if they wrote "Im in ur bas, stealin all ur shit."

Seriously, I could log onto a military forum every morning for the last ten days and see some American bitch about Russians rocking Marpat camo (the now not-so-exclusive camouflage of the US Marines), American shades, and riding humvees. I mean, damn, that was some GTA-style shit, Niko Belic would approve.

On a more serious note, media coverage of this shit was complete crap from all sides, though the American press was especially reprehensible. I can't imagine what they were talking about on that show, since I've been watching the Russian news all week and have seen nothing more insidious than what usually comes out of Fox news.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most of the American media have been along the lines of "OH GOD RUSSIA THEY WERE EVIL ALL ALONG THEY WERE JUST PLAYING ALONG AND NOW WORLD WAR THREE OH GOD", mostly
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know I'm just a stupid mushy moderate liberal, but the inability of the US Administration / press / pop-culture to acknowledge the existence of a Russian Point of View of the events of the past decade and a half or so is kind of nuts!

It's like they can't see past a Neocon "Woo hoo Reagan won us the cold war!" mentality, stuck on seeing Russia as just this post-Soviet robber baron mess...

This page I find a bit alarming: http://english.pravda.ru/topic/topolm-96
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, yet another event that can be summarized by that Simpsons episode where the American UN rep says "Soviet Union... Didn't you guys break up?" "That's vat ve vanted you to think"

Man, I can't wait to see the "New Cold War" articles that the weeklies are gonna start printing again... damn, just when that fad seemed to be dying out. I guess being "tough on Russia" is going to become the new "tough on terror" talking point for the propaganda factories. Makes sense, all in all, since Al Qaeda has turned out to be a one hit wonder (at least in the US) and now everyone in the West can go back to hating Russia, a nice familiar narrative for everyone involved.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
I know I'm just a stupid mushy moderate liberal, but the inability of the US Administration / press / pop-culture to acknowledge the existence of a Russian Point of View of the events of the past decade and a half or so is kind of nuts!

It's like they can't see past a Neocon "Woo hoo Reagan won us the cold war!" mentality, stuck on seeing Russia as just this post-Soviet robber baron mess...

This page I find a bit alarming: http://english.pravda.ru/topic/topolm-96

I think the thing that pisses most of the Neocons off is that they expected Russia to behave exactly like postwar-Germany, meaning it should subordinate its interests to America and treat the occupation of its former territories as "the way the world works now."

As for that page... it's from Pravda. A lot of military stuff is PR and the whole idea of a missile shield is a fiction to begin with. It's close to impossible to block a nuke, no matter what the defense department says. What I do find humorous is that story about Russian arms exports going up. It's funny because the Russian army isn't getting any of those things, they're all going foreign countries. I've been watching the photos out of Georgia and the Russian Army went in armed with shit from the 60s and 70s (my favorite photos btw were of the Chechen spetsnaz [a euphemism for former guerilla bands that Russia bought out] going into battle with an Ossetian flag, those guys looked fierce).

As for everything else, the mindset that there's no other legitimate point of view save for the American one is probably one of the most irksome things about the American media and many of the Americans that I deal with. Another funny thing about the American media is that it taught Russian state TV a lot about how to do things, which is quite sad, since as little as six years ago the Russian media was pretty damn free and full of variety. Now its just the same old shit that we have in America only with Russian actors, more gore, and hotter looking girls (this includes sitcoms, reality shows, news programs, movies, etc).

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
... and now everyone in the West can go back to hating Russia, a nice familiar narrative for everyone involved.

The kids don't remember.

And as for hate, I don't know about that.

Being somewhat nerdy the whole cold war thing for me was a map-and-spreadsheet thing. No emotional investment at all.
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redeye wrote:
seryogin wrote:
... and now everyone in the West can go back to hating Russia, a nice familiar narrative for everyone involved.

The kids don't remember.

And as for hate, I don't know about that.

Being somewhat nerdy the whole cold war thing for me was a map-and-spreadsheet thing. No emotional investment at all.

I guess, I've been reading too much editorials. Though I've had to sit through a lot of pro-Reagan bullshit in this country from... teenagers, actually (and adults, as well)

Aren't you from Australia in any case? Aren't the only people you people hate the abbos? I mean, I love you guys, but Romper Stomper was like documentary evidence of why I shouldn't go there.

(joking)
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i knew that would bring sergei out. good to see you.

as for the source, who knows? french tv is like that. you know, french. with frenchness.

also why the living fuck would you read military forums?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seryogin wrote:

Aren't you from Australia in any case?

US

dhex wrote:
also why the living fuck would you read military forums?

It's the other pron.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dude that's like hanging out in a guido bodybuilding forum. even if they're right...it's still ginos talking about curls.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They post pretty cool photos. Some dude had a whole collection of scans from Chinese book on the Sino-Vietnamese War of 1979 (those were great; his assertions that Vietnam invaded China were not). The commentary on the site, though, was pretty dumb.

I've been trying to avoid the whole the "new cold war" topic, since that may lead to articles from the economist being linked (it was bad enough that Newsweak gave last week's cover to Zbignew Brzezinski; man, what's next, bringing Jimmy Carter out of retirement).

Damn, I've always thought that Red Eye was an Aussie, this blows me away.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
I think the thing that pisses most of the Neocons off is that they expected Russia to behave exactly like postwar-Germany, meaning it should subordinate its interests to America and treat the occupation of its former territories as "the way the world works now."

Yeah, that's a good point. It's funny how WW2 seems to overshadow Vietnam to provoke a view that War is a utilitarian thing, making a malformed lens for both how to deal with the USSR and drugs and the tactic of terrorism.

I do wonder if not having a conflict on our soil in the 20th century has much to do with this outlook...

Quote:
As for everything else, the mindset that there's no other legitimate point of view save for the American one is probably one of the most irksome things about the American media and many of the Americans that I deal with.

Yeah.
I'm a bit of a europhile I guess, but even beyond my fondness for technocrats and nationalized healthcare is my perception (rightly or wrongly) that Europeans accept the idea of viewpoints and agendas other than their own without turning it into Good vs Evil all the damn time.

I dunno if I agree that the storyline will resume with "Russians are the baddies". Maybe for a few random bits of pop culture, but I think this current round of apathy might be tough to shake...
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've been trying to avoid the whole the "new cold war" topic, since that may lead to articles from the economist being linked

we could link something from the exile but OHHHHHHH SNAAAAAP!

seriously though the economist is a good rag. i don't always agree with everything written in the leaderboards but it's hard to find a magazine willing to do 20 or 30 pages worth of in depth stories on textiles in asia or new farming techniques or the future of wireless communication, etc.

kirk, i dunno if the euros are nearly as level-headed as you seem to think.

fun experiment: ask them about guns! if they're brits, make sure you have plexiglass handy because the spittle factor is intense! Smile

(i kid, but only a little.)

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kirkjerk wrote:
I'm a bit of a europhile I guess, but even beyond my fondness for technocrats and nationalized healthcare is my perception (rightly or wrongly) that Europeans accept the idea of viewpoints and agendas other than their own without turning it into Good vs Evil all the damn time.

Try living here. Sad
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, the only stuff I've read is their Russia coverage, which isn't so hot. A few smaller articles I've read seemed a bit too mired in wishful thinking. The whole thing seems a bit too Tory.

In any case, they're probably good for other stuff.

also, the exile is back, they're online only (some of the war nerd's new stuff is superb).
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

they've never struck me as particularly tory outside of the leaderboards; i can't really comment on their in-depth coverage of uk politics since i'm not a uk politico and therefore don't really know the lay of the land. there's nuance that i'd be missing.

unrelated:

Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.computerworld.com/action/article.do?command=printArticleBasic&articleId=9113642
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the next person who uses "pop" to describe a layout's appeal is getting their eyeballs gouged out.

on the plus side i got to write a standards manual that explicitly said "using comic sans is grounds for immediate termination and revocation of us citizenship."
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this website doesn't pop enough for me dhex. recommend something new.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it's all fun and games until i put out someone's eye, shapes.

seriously though i want to find whomever it was that told people "pop" is a good synonym for "make it better without any input from me whatsoever" so i can kill them. dead. maybe while o fortuna plays.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mccain picking paulin, i'm now leaning against crazy and thinking jesus, that's a great way to split off the angry women who are mad the national figurehead won't look like them on the dnc side. i'm thinking it's going to be a close race.

i am looking forward to the grumbling from the usual suspects about how paulin isn't a real woman because she's not a left-winger in the next three hours or so. (by looking forward to i mean "deeply saddened by")

anyway, jerkoff identity politics aside (is there any other kind?) i'm stuck in a mild dilemma, since ny generally goes blue harder than an asphyxiation buff with a aqua belt around his neck and his junk shoved in a jar of smuckers blueberry jam, so i don't think mcforeverwar is going to pull it off but i think barr is kind of a dick, too. unless it's close, i guess i could do barr - a good damascan is hard to find - since everyone else on the ballot, well...

this is one of those places where i can honestly point to the city council ballot and say "they're all a bunch of fucking socialists" and not be exaggerating.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ask and thou shalt receive:

http://www.feministing.com/archives/010705.html

edit: i have to share this from the commentariat:

Quote:
Now here is the BEST part for Hillary supporters: Obama is going to need to explain why he didnt pick the most qualified, popular, eloquent, and charismatic female politician in US history

who? where? what? how?

on what fucking planet is hillary that popular? the over 35 female democrat planet. that's not earth. that's their version of it. which is why they keep losing. because they're fucking crazy.

as an aside, i do like the term "forced pregnancy" as a rhetorical strategy above and beyond "anti-choice."

edit: yes yes i know it's one of the most insane commentariats on the internet (coming from someone who reads hit and run regularly, mind you) - the left wing michelle malkin blog, really...but still.

how do people that delusional live? how do they bathe themselves?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

speaking of hit and run, the whole HURR HURR A GURL HURR HURR thing is really getting on my nerves.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i am looking forward to the grumbling from the usual suspects about how paulin isn't a real woman because she's not a left-winger in the next three hours or so. (by looking forward to i mean "deeply saddened by")

She's a real woman, but she feels more like a gambit than a politician. I guess that's what VPs are there for now, but still.

(Heh, it's pretty much akin to getting a VP for swing state appeal I guess)
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it is the historical use of the vp, to be sure.

it's all about abortion, anyway. for better or for worse, that's everyone's dealbreaker.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
it is the historical use of the vp, to be sure.

it's all about abortion, anyway. for better or for worse, that's everyone's dealbreaker.

Who wants to bet Palin takes her Down's Syndrome kid on stage and asks: "So you think he should have been killed?"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it may come up, but i'd be surprised.

obviously it is at least a peripheral issue, seeing as over 90% of prenatal screening positives are terminated.
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.positiveliberty.com/2008/08/in-muted-defense-of-gridlock.html

dar on gridlock. i don't necessarily agree, but i wouldn't be too surprised if he were right, either.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://coilhouse.net/2008/08/30/kowloon-walled-city-the-modern-pirate-utopia/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Staff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 39, 40, 41 ... 46, 47, 48  Next
Page 40 of 48

Jump to: