The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My Arcade, Your Arcade, We're Arcade

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:06 am    Post subject: My Arcade, Your Arcade, We're Arcade Reply with quote

Timezone, Tunzafun and Intencity are the three big arcade chains in Australia. They're very much designed for the casual arcade goer. There are no pinball machines, only one or two fighting games if any at all, and nothing from the 80s to mid 90s. Half of their arcades are ticket machines, while the other half are good ol' videogames. They are almost always strategically placed next to cinemas and shopping centres.

Timezone used to be a glorious chain in Australia. They had a massive arcade in the middle of the city here in the mid 90's. Now they don't even exist in my state.

Tunzafun is my nearest one. They actually rotate the game selection pretty often, which is both good and bad... good, so that I get to play a variety of different arcade games, some of them even somewhat recent, bad because they get rid of my favourite machines every now and then. BRING BACK POINT BLANK.

Here are all the ticket machines.

This guy is too cute, I'm sure you'll agree. So says my wife.

This is one of those 20c machines where you try to steer the coin. It's the coolest looking one by far, because hey, SIMPSONS. It almost looks like a pinball machine! It's also the hardest one to actually win anything with.

Big Bessie is an old favourite. Balls drop down the bottom, and you gotta jam those balls in Bessie's mouth. In the old days, her stomach slowly inflates and every now and then her dress would fly up and she's say WOOO!! but they never seem to turn it on anymore (or it's broken) so it loses half the fun.

This is a recent game from 2007, and it's actually pretty cool! It's like Time Crisis meets Gears of War meets Resident Evil 4. You reload and take cover behind objects by aiming away from the screen, and jump out and aim by pointing at the screen. The pedals at the bottom move your character between different areas of cover, as the other player/enemy does the same thing. It's entirely made up of boss fights, has some good locales, is fun to play and, best of all, it's called 2 SPICY. And get this... the attract mode is INTERACTIVE (obviously to try and help players ease into the new concept). 8 year old kids must love this one!

This is LET'S GO JUNGLE! THE ISLAND OF SPICE (what's up with all the spice?) also made in 2007, this time by SEGA. It's a lightgun game where you get a huge machinegun that doesn't need reloading. Just keep pointing and shooting at the giant insects! It's actually pretty fun, and there are some QTE events and stuff to spice things up, and the boss battles are pretty tense. The characters are hilariously ugly and annoying. When you finish a level, it tells you how romantically compatible you are with the other player which I'm sure makes for some awkward situations!

I've always really wanted to play Silent Scope but have never seen it anywhere, so I was really happy when they installed this. It's pretty neat and a game you can't emulate at home! Not easily, anyway. The bad news is that it replaced the POINT BLANK machine.

If you go somewhere that has arcade machines, there will be a Daytona machine.

What would an arcade be without some kind of DDR game? Out of business, probably.

Thanks for visiting, y'all.

As you can see, there are no retro, fighting or pinball games here (though pinball games are often found in pubs, usually next to a Eugene Jarvis hunting game (which are also everywhere) or Daytona). I guess they just don't make money anymore. There is, however, a place I can go for these things... the bowling alley just up the road.

Here is the pool hall, with a few skill testers (or UFO CATCHERS). If you turn left...

You see this! I told you Daytona was everywhere. You can also play darts or try to impress your girlfriend with this punching bag. The wall at the back is where I get updates on local events! Too the right you see...

Pinball heaven! (not pictured: Big Hurt Baseball and The Flintstones which didn't fit in the picture). The Indiana Jones one is great because it's so easy and spits out free games every five seconds, but I pretty much exclusively play the perfectly functioning Addams Family table, which is widely regarded as one of the greatest tables of all time.

There is also a cool robot UFO CATHER thing, a horse to ride on, and some more racing games. That's Fast and the Furious at the back. I have Manx TT for the Saturn, it's a pretty accurate port! And even more Daytona!

The Simpsosn Arcade game! Yes! I make my friends play four player with me whenever we go bowling. There's also Tekken 2 (could have had a better fighting game...) golf and bowling (YOU'RE IN A BOWLING ALLEY, WHY WOULD YOU PLAY THIS), NBA Jam and a sadly half-working Point Blank machine.

Check it out! Frogger, Galaga and Ms. Pac-Man! They might be bootlegs though, I don't recall those hearts being in the real Ms. Pac-Man.

In conclusion, here is an awesome popcorn machine.

There are a few other arcades I know of in and around my city. I'll try to get pictures of those, too.

Last edited by Cycle on Sun Oct 12, 2008 2:18 am; edited 4 times in total
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

point blank is a great game

i found an old pole position cabinet in an amusement park game room. i played a few rounds and took a picture. i didn't have my camera with me, though, so i had to borrow my sister's. i need to get her to email the photo to me.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember walking into an Intencity way back and noticing about ten people crammed around Ultimate Mortal Combat or whatever and noone around Virtua Fighter 3. Sega Bass Fishing was surprisingly drawing a bit of a crowd. There was even a section off the side which I am pretty sure was for Netmerc or some other arcade robot game that wasn't Virtual On (which was in the best condition I have seen any cabinet anywhere. Someone on staff must have really loved that game). It probably was Netmerc, you kind of remember these things. For some reason I wasn't allowed in there, something to do with age which was fucking bullshit. You kind of remember these things. It's not there anymore, it got replaced with a Greater Union and got moved elsewhere. I've had more fun at Timezone anyway, even though it didn't have Prop Cycle which I have nothing but fun memories of.

Oh lord, everything is coming back to me now. They had loads of Model 2 games there.

I've said Timezone was my most visited place and that it's probably become shit. There was a Playtime just up the street, I'd go to Timezone first then get a sammich at Big Al's then walk up to Playtime and play the games that the first one didn't have yet. Like House Of The Dead and Gem Fighter. But not JoJo's Bizarre Adventure*, Timezone gained a point on them. Then they went and fucking replaced it with DOA, bastards! It was better, they had jack shit in the way of ticket machines but I think they closed up shop.

I've stopped caring as there is no way that I am going back there. I can score drugs at other places.

* I would run into the game again on holiday in the Gold Coast, at Playtime surprise surprise. That was a fun week, I went through so much money playing all the fighting games I had not encountered in arcades before. It was just down from the worst Burger King ever. Seriously, I've shit better things on fajitas night. Now I can't go to arcades anymore, nothing will top that place.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 12:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shit gotta go to golfland and take some pictures now
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:04 am    Post subject: Re: My Arcade, Your Arcade, We're Arcade Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
If you go somewhere that has arcade machines, there will be a Daytona machine.

This is so very true. Until it gets replaced by Cyber Sled.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

golfland really isnt what it used to be

http://flickr.com/photos/sunnyvalerocks/2693634482/

there are like 329583495834958934 million jurassic park cabinets arent there

GUITAR FREAKS

GHOST SQUAD

boy this guy sure does like his artsy pictures

the only reason i go to golfland anymore really, sicne they got rid of the guilty gear machine

it hink this is the owner but i dont know

REDEMPTION

golfland on a monday morning

at least namcos redemtion machines are videogamey and not just token eaters
like you have to see how many times you can jump the invisible rope
and then they made FLAMIN FINGER where you guide your finger through a maze and try to beat the clock while TECHNO BLARES IN YOUR FACE and oh god the you lose hhorn is so fucking loud

SV golfland has A HUNDRED ddr machines and hten two ddr ripoff machines

what is that shit on the wall oh this must be waterslide golfland

this machine has been broken so many times and it keeps fucking coming back

everyne likes this game because you can take stupid pictures of yourself

WOOO SIMPSONS

these pictures make me so depressed becuase all these machines are disappearing
i thought golfland would last forever Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That last one is a time paradox.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its from the good ol days
moonside

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: CHINATOWN FAIR ARCADE Reply with quote

These are pics (pulled from the web, not taken by myself) of the Chinatown Fair arcade in nyc.

They have a great collection of fighters (Arcana Hearts, almost every incarnation of Street Fighter, MvC, etc etc), some good shooters (Giga Wing, Raiden Fighters .. although Buster Bros. is currently in the Mars Matrix cab, wtf), and little else.

There was once a famous tic-tac-toe playing chicken in residence, but she's no longer with us...
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

chinatown fair is the one with street fighter four, right?
moonside

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup

Last edited by moonside on Mon Aug 25, 2008 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle, the reason you don't see pinball games anymore is because the original manufacturers have largely stopped making them and the after market for parts is killer. Maintainance on a pinball machine is expensive and you need someone who knows what they're doing to service them. It's not like plunking in new buttons on your street fighter cab.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've driven past this place quite a few times; it's located on North Terrace which is pretty much the only way to get into town from my area. I've never had a look at it because I'm either driving past, or eating out with friends (my friends and I enjoy most of the restuarants on this street). I've always been curious, so I finally took a look the other day! I was in a bit of a rush, unfortunately, so I didn't get to play anything or try the food. I'll have to do so another time.

Oh look, Daytona machines, how unexpected.

This room is right at the back. Those hunting games are everywhere (they were at the other two places I photographed), and are a guilty pleasure of mine. Time Crisis 4 seems to be surprisingly common, which is a bit dissapointing for me because I think it's a pretty terrible game! Also, some EA NASCAR game that I didn't care about.

Virtua Cop 2! Fuck yes! One of my favourite lightgun games, even if it is incredibly dated. It's just so PURE and FOCUSED and FUN and a little too slow, but hey. Virtua Tennis 2 was also a nice surprise, but Top Sin has since taken the top spot in Tennis Gamedom.

I was also happy to find three pinball tables! Someone was playing the Guns N' Roses one while I was taking the pictures, I think it was annoying him. You can't see it in the pictures, but the place is actually incredibly cramped. Oh, also a Sega Rally machine. They're quite common too, but I'm not complaining because it's a sweet game.

This was the biggest surprise! I didn't even know it existed! As I mentioned, I didn't have time to play it (I'll have to come back) but youtube videos suggest it's Point Blank without a sense of humour... just a series of Boot Camp challenges. In between stages it tells you to uphold AMERICAN ARMY VALUES, like not hunting civilians for sport.

There was also a second hand book store around the corner! I bought the following book for three dollars, because I liked the cover:

Thus ends this adventure.

Has anyone got photography tips for me? I have no idea what I'm doing and would like to improve!

Last edited by Cycle on Thu Aug 28, 2008 7:41 am; edited 2 times in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish there was an arcade where I live! All we have is a baseball machine that nearly broke my hand last time I tried to use it Sad
helicopterp

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle, start by trying to fill the frame with what you want to see, picking an angle that cuts out the rest of the clutter. There's a lot of dead space in your pictures: walls, carpet, etc. Those aren't necessarily bad subjects for your photos, but it feels like you're not concerned with them at all. So cut them out!

Take a look at daphny's Ghost Squad and Jurassic Park shots. They're good examples.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was sort of my aim. I wanted to take pictures so it feels like you're standing in the arcade and feel the atmosphere it provides, which the walls, carpet and other dead space in the photos contributes too. Those Ghost Squad and Jurrasic Park pics could have been taken anywhere! I made this thread about arcades, not arcade cabinents, see.

I do see what you're saying though. I could probably frame them a bit better so the clutter isn't so... disorganised and careless, but more deliberate.

Oh, listen to me carrying on!

Last edited by Cycle on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:25 pm; edited 1 time in total
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for your support, Harvey. You are a true friend.

Last edited by Cycle on Thu Aug 28, 2008 11:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
drozdal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 30, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
chinatown fair is the one with street fighter four, right?

Yep, but sad thing is - cabinet is surrounded by approximately 30 males willing to play SFIV at any given time.

Also, SFIV accepts only 1$ bills.

I noticed this on my way out, hopefully that's not their space being up for grabs

daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh excitement!!!!!!
one of the smaller arcades near me got four street fighter four cabinets so i went there for the first time and they ALSO HAVE

GUILTY GEAR XX
STRIKERS 3
THAT SNIPING GAME I CAN NEVER REMEMBER HTE NAME OF
VAMPIRE SAVIOR
AND POINT FUCKING BLANK 2

i am definitely going here like, all the fucking time
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish chinatown fair had fewer fighting games...also wish they would fix their Mars Matrix cabinet.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whats mars matrix?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fuuuuuck Mars Matrix is probably the best shooter ever made, woman!

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My younger brother is on school holidays, so I thought I'd spend Monday (public holiday) doing some brotherly bonding. We drove all the way to MARION WESTFIELD, which is way too far away from us, but neither of us have been there before. It's the biggest shopping centre in SA (that isn't in the City, anyway) and has two (2) Maccas and I think a third one outside. It's nice to know a heart attack is only a few stores away.

The main reason we came was to waste all my money at INTENCITY. I think this is only one of two left in the state. There used to be one near me, but it shut down a year or so ago, much to my surprise (I thought it was doing pretty well). Interestingly, almost half of the games from the closed down one ended up here... which was a nice since the selection was pretty good there, and even better here.

ANYWAY, since it was the school holidays it was pretty packed, as you can see below.

This Raiden Fighers machine was the first thing I saw as I entered, so I was pretty excited! The Big Buck Hunting game, not so exciting.

My excitement grew when I found TWO pinball machines! Woo! The Elvis one isn't too interesting apart from a little Elvis figure that sings and dances while you play. The MARS one was a bit more entertaining, but the bowling alley remains my pinball palace of choice.

That motorbike game is a pretty common sight. It's not too bad, basically Road Rash meets Wipeout.

Anyone have tips on reducing reflection crap? It's quite annoying.

This was the next thing I saw, because it's pretty freakin' hard to miss. It's that LET'S GO JUNGLE game from the first post, but on a giant ass screen with some contextual decorations adoring the edges of the screen. That's my brother playing the game (I was killed by a giant mosquito).

Now this here was the biggest surprise! Mother fuckin' Elevator Action Returns! Like a few of the games, it's sadly not in an original cabinent, but fuck it, ELEVATOR ACTION RETURNS. There is also some ping pong game that was out of order and POINT BLANK 2, OH YES. Unfortunately, I don't think my gun was aligned correctly and my brother ended up kicking my ass.

Now this was pretty cool! It's a VR cabinent, where you pull the helmet over your head which can spin around 360 degrees, allowing you to see all around you in the game. Unfortunately, the game selection was a bunch of BEACH HEAD games, a crappy series of budget games that keep getting made for some reason. They should get rid of this and put in a Dactyl Nightmare machine instead!

Still, my brother seemed to enjoy the novelty of it, as seen in the photo.

Silent Scope 2! Sweet! I didn't actually play this one, so I don't know how it differs from the original which I've been playing the hell out of at my local arcade. Anyone want to fill me in?

I played this horse game with an ex-girlfriend at the old Intencity. I think that's what triggered the end of our relationship. My brother tried OLLIE KING, which looked pretty much like SSX Tricky but with skateboards. It had swell cell-shading, but my brother complained that turning seemed to be broken. Maybe he just sucked.

I forgot to take a picture of it, but next to the horses (you can see it in the second photo right at the back) there is a machine that uses bicycles. I must have sat on it wrong, because it crushed my balls when I first started playing, until I adjusted myself a bit. I blame this incident for my loss.

I wanted to try this Quick & Crash machine but didn't get around to it. It seems to be like some kind of old school shooting gallery with some modern concepts? I don't know. Anyone tried it?

Now, that GUNMEN WARS machine is fucking awesome. For one thing, it takes your photo and sticks it above your character in the game. Secondly, it has an interesting control method... there is a gun stuck into the cab, pushing it around will move your character back, forth and strafe, while aiming will turn it around. Then you run around in these mech suits, find your opponent and blow them up, collecting the diamonds he spills. Team with the most diamonds wins. I played VS against my brother and it was a barrel of laughs.

Oh look. Daytona machines. At least they only have the second game here and the full, moving cabinents too.

Another one I wanted to try but didn't end up playing. It had three screens and a CLUTCH, which is pretty rare! It looked like a pretty serious racing game, I'll try it if I ever see it again.

Some tennis game and tekken 5 you can see here. Tekken 5 is the only fighting game in the arcade. They're ALMOST up to date! But the most interesting thing is this sit down cabinent which has a huge selection of classic games, as listed in the second picture.

These three are everywhere. Ghost Squad gets away with it because it's awesome.

I was surprised to see an America's Army machine here! I actually played it this time and yeah, it's like Point Blank without a sense of style, humour or... anything redeeming at all. All the propoganda messages are pretty hilarious though, especially considering this is AUSTRALIA. FUCK America.

These Initial D games are all over the fucking place and are massively popular. I've never played them and I doubt I ever will because they don't look interesting at all. What's the appeal?

A Sega lightgun game I never heard of! It doesn't even have a wikipedia page! It's about these two treasure hunters raiding Egyptian locations. At the start you can pick what kind of weapon you want (stong but few bullets, weak but many bullets and an inbetween), then pick a piece of equipment to guard you from certain attacks and finally, trade lives with your partner which is a clever mechanic. You can switch things around after each level, so if your partner took lots of hits, you can donate some health over to them. Or they can steal them.

The path through each level seems to be randomised, plus there are challenges here and there to break up the action. Oh, and the dailouge is fucking gold. It's so hilariously bad. I'd play this again.

This is a soccer game. Doesn't sound too interesting, until you realise that to kick the ball, you have to actually physically kick the blue things at the bottom of the cab. I thought some guy was kicking the crap out of the game before I realised what was going on and decided to try it myself.

I played this boxing game a fair bit when it was at the old arcade. It plays slightly better than Wii Boxing. That's a Jurrasic Park machine to the right, also from the old arcade, and so is the (not pictured) house of the dead 2 cab. That one has curtains, so it's pretty much the place to go if you want to get jiggy in a public place.

The place was pretty short on redemption machines, which was refreshing. There are some dotted around the store, with most are slammed up against the back wall. None of them are particulary interesting at all apart from the trackball racing game in the second picture. I totally kicked my brothers ass.

So yeah, this has probably been my favourite arcade so far. Not perfect, but a great, varied selection.

Oh, on another note, my local Tunzafun from the first post recently got a THIRD STRIKE machine. Almost up to date!

Last edited by Cycle on Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:23 pm; edited 4 times in total
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cycle what the fuck why does australia still have awesome arcades
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

More importantly, where the fuck are they all.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, the state of arcades here isn't as dire as I once thought.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 10, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You gotta stop being blase about Daytona being everywhere. You'll miss it when it's gone (as it is at formerly-legendary Golfland).

Oh, and finding one where all the controls, including the shifters, work...That's a challenge too, since scrubs play automatic and wouldn't notice!
RobotRocker

PostPosted: Sun Oct 12, 2008 5:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are pretty on the money with Quick and Crash. Its basicly a shooting gallery with a quick draw mechanic. You gotta pull the gun out of the holster and shoot the moving targets over 3 rounds. The magic comes when you get to round 3 where you get about 3 or 4 moving targets. As soon as you hit those, a cup comes up and you shoot it. It blows into about 4 pieces and scatters accros the play area before dropping down into the mechanical area. That was the whole machines gimmick and I was suprised how they pulled it off (presumably some magnet trickery). Its fun, but I'm not suprised it didnt catch on due to the fact that games lasted at maximum 30 seconds. If you were good, you could get it done in 7 seconds.

Very nice pictures and documenting anyway.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing about Quick and Crash is that ultra funky attract music.

mmmmm mmmmmm
RobotRocker

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JasonMoses wrote:
The best thing about Quick and Crash is that ultra funky attract music.

mmmmm mmmmmm

I forgot about that. That was one of the highlights of it. There is a simulation of it in one of the Point Blank or Time Crisis games as well if I can remember (Maybe PB3?).
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My friends and I stopped by the Tea Tree Plaza TUNZAFUN the other night. I didn't have my camera with me, so my friend lent me her phone which had a decentish camera built-in. This is why the quality of the pictures is so low, sorry about that. I may got back to take better pictures, but I doubt it since we were all pretty underwhelmed with the place.

It's much smaller than Tunzafun I previously posted, but it doesn't really make up for it with its selection. Like the other Tunza, half is dedicated to redemption machines, while the other is all about games. There was nothing that interesting on the redemption side, apart from a few interesting takes on skee ball, such as having little basketball hoops or a digital bowling alley.

The arcade side was mostly made up of the usual suspects and money makers, pictured below:

The guy playing this was going nucking futs:

I've played this game at a cinema before, it's like that old ALIEN: THE GUN game but MORE MODERN. It's pretty fast paced compared to most modern light gun games, and you have a motherfuckin' flamethrower, so it's entertaining for some two-player alien killing action, but lacks depth for extended play.

Oh look. Daytona. It's actually pretty ignored for reasons I'll post later. I don't get why Time Crisis 4 is all over the place, I liked the previous games, but I think this one is fucking awful. It became most evident when I played the PS3 port and the only way to finish the game is to keep unlocking extra continues by playing the game a billion times, because it's IMPOSSIBLE to one credit this game, or even five credit this game. It's a total money muncher, one of the worst I've seen in a long time. It's all about brute force continues and not skill. Awful.

This here is a Time Crisis clone (and is a lot fucking better than Time Crisis 4) but the main point of interest is the fact that you're fighting an army of undead. I mean like, a MODERN army of the undead, so they have friggin' rifles and tanks. It's pretty surreal (AWESOME) stuff.

Earlier I said Daytona seems to get little attention. That's because they have a selection of newer, popular racing games here. Maximum Tune 3, Initial D 3 and Battle Gear 4. I still don't know why these games are so damn popular. Anyone else have a clue? Most of them seem to do that CAREER CARD crap which puts me off. If I want to play a career game, I'll do it on a console in the comfort of my own home. I go to arcades for quick, cheap thrills.

So all in all, this arcade was pretty dissapointing. I guess if you're into these manga-inspired racers this place would be great, but most of the games I can play just about anywhere else (not that some of the more common games aren't incredible fun). HOWEVER, there were TWO games that aren't anywhere else that were very interesting... one was a racing game.

Fuck yeah, Mario Kart Arcade 2! You can play as Pac-Man! There aren't any goddamn blue shells! The way items work is a little bit weird and I didn't play long enough to see if they were better balanced than the ones in the console games (nor if this game had the same cheap AI) but it had the same spirit and charm that the other games have. Unfortunately, it's another one of those CAREER CARD games. I'd like to play this one a little more and see how it really differs from the console counterparts.

Finally, there was this:

That's SILENT HILL THE ARCADE in case you can't make out the writing. This was the biggest surprise by far, I didn't think this would even come to Australia. So what's it like? It's pretty much a foggier, slower HOUSE OF THE DEAD but with way cooler enemy design. It has the same horrible voice acting as HOTD and really isn't very silent hilly at all, apart from the MOUNTAINS of fan service. I mainly just wanted to see PYRAMID HEAD and luckily he was the first goddamn boss. It was actually a pretty tense fight, and fighting him up close and personal with his industrial music playing in the background was pretty rad, even if it was cheap fan service (also the battle was more with the insects that followed him around). He killed me with his big knife/COCK Sad

Note that the curtains aren't as concealing as the ones for HOTD, nor is it a sitdown cab. This is probably because HOTD machines became pretty popular locations for public freakiness, if you catch my drift.

So yeah, unless you loovveee racing games, there isn't much to see here, though I do commend them for bringing these last two games over here. I probably never would have been able to play them otherwise, and I'm glad I did, even if one of them is a bit of a joke.

I'm running out of arcades in this state! I only know of two others.

EDIT: Oops, I shrunk the pictures more than I intended. Oh well, the quality is pretty awful anyway.

Last edited by Cycle on Tue Oct 28, 2008 6:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
This here is a Time Crisis clone (and is a lot fucking better than Time Crisis 4) but the main point of interest is the fact that your'e fighting an army of undead. I mean like, a MODERN army of the undead, so they have friggin' rifles and tanks. It's pretty surreal stuff.

Don't you mean it's pretty AWESOME stuff?

Quote:
I mainly just wanted to see PYRAMID HEAD and luckily he was the first god damn boss. It was actually a pretty tense fight, and fighting him up close and personal with his industrial music playing was pretty rad, even if it was cheap fan service (also the battle was more with the fucking insects that followed him around). He killed me with his big cock Smile

Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 28, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rero I would not be happy to be impaled by a gigantic cock.

Also I forgot about that "symbolism".
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be posting some new pictures when I have time (which may not be for awhile), but in the meantime here is a video of the greatest find during my most recent adventure:

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=E0IkCseoALQ&feature=channel_page

I can say, without a doubt, this is one of the greatest arcade games I have ever experienced. Yes, not played. Experienced.

Imagine facing twenty million amps hooked up to your favourite bands equipment, then being assaulted by the sheer power of ROCK as they bang out your favourite tune. Now imagine a game that does that, except you're being assaulted by the sheer power of AWESOME. I don't remember the last time a game made me say OH FUCK and HOLY SHIIIIIT while a huge smile is on my face. Actually it was probably Space Giraffe, but even still, these games are few and far between. Just awesome. This is the kind of experience arcades supply. It just wouldn’t be the same without the rockin’ cab.

That's my little brother playing the game. He's on school holidays so I took him out to get him out of my parent’s hair. I'm sure you'll enjoy my wonderful video directing and editing.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: