The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Official TGQ Virtual Console And Live Arcade Games Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
Yeah, that Upa game was, for years, spread around the Internet as "Baby Mario". I don't think it was even hacked; that's just what someone called it, and everyone else assumed it was called as a result.

The tilesets in that game look like someone didn't put the cartridge in properly and the Nintendo is going crazy.

http://kr.youtube.com/watch?v=9UyVWD68L7w
wourme

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My first attempt at playing Sin and Punishment the other day wasn't too successful due to the awkward controls and my not knowing about the sword attack. But today I played through the whole game (with control scheme 3), and I was very impressed. I love the part with the battleships.

I see that Star Parodier and Ys I and II are being added in the next week or two.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i'm curious about the game because telltale is the closest to getting the third-person point-and-click adventure right, but i'm also frustrated that they're still doing licensed games (so are they, probably). and this one's particularly noxious.

so has anyone played it?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you talking about Strong Bad? There is a demo, which I haven't played yet. I intend to check it out, but I doubt I'll be too into it since I'm not a fan of the site. I'm more interested in Wallace and Grombit. I hope they do something interesting with that...

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played the strong bad demo. it's worthless. they got five episodes' worth of content out of this? the ironic thing is that the videogames are the best thing related to the franchise - they're note-perfect style parodies. which may be why the mini-game in the strong bad game is better than the actual strong bad game.

anyway, bionic commando re-armed impressed me. i was expecting another contra iv: japanese game publisher gives ip to western studio who liked game as kids, have no idea what game was actually doing, ignore all progress made on game since they were kids. contra iv is based on the developers' experience of playing through contra in one sitting with the fifty-lives code when they were eight years old, and it completely ignores the balancing that became so important to the series after they stopped playing it.

but bionic commando is actually really good. the writing is totally silly. i like it.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It sounds like the writers played a lot of Bangai-O.

As remakes go, this is splendid. It takes out the most tedious bits and adds in some nice, generally seamless enhancements. How were grenades not in the NES game? Hard to conceive of!

The hidden stuff... It's interesting how over-the-top obnoxious it is to collect even if you've a notion where it might be. This is even as the main game is generally made much friendlier to play.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can you stil do the jump-through-the-wall glitch in that one base? And why do people like me insist that remakes retain the same glitches over everything else?

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know! BC: Rearmed is pretty great, though. I really like the challenge levels. And the sound of the hook is perfect. And the new moves... when you get on a roll in this game, you feel so badass! I'm very glad they included a super hard mode. It means I can get my kicks and my roommates can play the wussy difficulty and still have a good time.

I still think it's rather ugly though. It's more garish than the Pfhor ships in Marathon AND THEY WERE PRETTY GARISH. But I guess it's more interesting than making it all dark and stuff.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it actually looks really nice. they did the blurry / shiny thing and it actually looks good.

the game feels a lot better than i remember the original feeling, but i never played it for very much. though that says something in itself.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, Shinkirou's real name is listed in the credits. Didn't quite catch it, though.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
anyway, bionic commando re-armed impressed me. i was expecting another contra iv: japanese game publisher gives ip to western studio who liked game as kids, have no idea what game was actually doing, ignore all progress made on game since they were kids. contra iv is based on the developers' experience of playing through contra in one sitting with the fifty-lives code when they were eight years old, and it completely ignores the balancing that became so important to the series after they stopped playing it.

I agree with this sentiment. Contra IV was one of the rare games that I sold back to Gamestop I was so disappointed. BC: Rearmed, however, is great. Am I the only one around here playing this on PSN?

I'm also kind of interested in The Last Guy. I found the 'behind the scenes' video on PSN to be hilarious. Is the Hindustan Electronics Ltd. company for real or is the whole thing just a joke? Actually, now that I think about it, it is probably both.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay, i like this bionic commando a lot but fuck the last stage. it asks me to do lots of ridiculous shit and then makes me start from the beginning when i run out of lives halfway through. i quit.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't gotten past the first stage yet. Humbug.
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone noticed Wilhelm?
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LlfJJBkyKfY&fmt=18

An Awesome Game looks like it may be An Alright Game.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

it looks like a trainwreck, but time alone will tell whether it is glorious.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The black and white baby demon ... pig thing, yeah, that sold me. It could be terrible though.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
simplicio

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks awfully floaty. I think it'd drive me nuts.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

galaga legions is nice. the thing that's always set galaga apart from other shooters is its formations: the way they fly into the screen together, the way they attack in legion. galaga legions is a game about formations: anticipating them and exploiting them. the formations themselves are elegant, beautiful things, reminding me of the underappreciated 1995 galaga arrangement.

i appreciate that one of the skins dresses up the enemies like those is gaplus, since a few of legions's mechanics are lifted from that game. somewhat amusing: the gaplus skin is labelled "ancient" while the older, original galaga sprites are "vintage".

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy the proxy ships, not just the legions but the two you can always deploy. Activity is key.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh... if only I had money Sad

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
aderack

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The proxy ships -- presumably the idea there comes from the way, in the original, your ship can be stolen, then retaken to double your firepower. That's one of the coolest things about the game! And it seems like this is an extrapolation of that -- sort of the way that Gradius V focuses on the Options and their ramifications.

I just realized that I had a dream partially about Gradius, last night. It was about a new Gradius game where the default "aiming" options from GV were the center of design. I think I know what inspired that.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read the proxies the same way. Incidentally, I've been playing the gradius 3 & 4 disc for ps2 that somebody here traded me. Shit is hard.
jjsimpso

PostPosted: Thu Aug 28, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Bionic Commando: Rearmed last night. The Albatross stage kind of seems harder than it actually is. I was starting to get annoyed with it, because as dess said it is a bit long and tedious at the beginning, but most of the hard spots become easy once you do them once. Having finished it once, I'm pretty confident I could do it again easily. This stage does have probably the only instances of poor level design in the game though. You can easily get confused in one part because the life bar obscures the platform you should be heading towards, for instance. It is also possible to think you're supposed to be doing something one way when there is a much easier path. Also, I did check online to find The Leader's weak point since I missed it on my first attempt. That probably saved me a replay.

I also tried the Vampire Rain demo's multiplayer. It was pretty fun! It was kind of like playing an online game from 10 years ago. Also, the lobby system worked really well, with almost no downtime between games. So many console games have so much waiting(Soul Calibur IV, Lost Planet). I'm really finding myself tempted by this game, even though I know it is probably terrible! I just have a weakness for low budget games I guess. I downloaded the demo from the HK playstation store, not sure if it is available on the US store or not.
Lasa

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Today is Cho Aniki day! Oh, and Final Soldier is cool too I guess.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Bomberman '94 has finally hit the US Virtual Console!

Can I, like, trade in my copy of '93?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone pick up anything good lately? The last VC title I bought was Ys, though I think I'll pick up Suikoden on the PSN at some point.
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it was released a while back, but I recently picked up 1080 on the VC. Good stuff! It really benefits from the high resolution of the Wii. I can't believe I sold my N64 copy way back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 18, 19, 20
Page 20 of 20

Jump to: