The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CGW Demo Discs interest check

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dongle

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 9:45 am    Post subject: CGW Demo Discs interest check Reply with quote

While I've been home on vacation, I've rifled through my old games and magazines and such, and I have a decent number of CGW Extra CD-ROMs from about 94-99 with a few PC Gamer and PC Magazine demo discs thrown in as well. Does anyone care if I rip & post them? I can't say I recall the content being stellar, which is why I figured I should put out an interest check first.
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love going through old CDs. My favorite sort of MULTIMMEEDDIIAA!!! is IE Magazine, so much so I posted a Daggerfall preview and a few of their reviews on youtube. So yes, please, post away!
Malloc

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll definitely snag some of these if you rip them.
parkbench

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was also thinking of doing this with old PC Gamers. I figure that the demos must be available in some form another, even today, but there must be certain iterations of games, maybe beta editions, rare demo editions, that have some special content everybody forgot about. I figure if you systematically go through this shit, rip it, and test it, you might just stumble upon something, eh?

I am in with you dongle.
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2008 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the PC Gamer Classics Game Collection disc back at my folks'. It has the full versions of:

The Need for Speed
Ultima Underworld: The Stygan Abyss
Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness
The Secret of Monkey Island
Links: The Challenge of Golf
X-Com: UFO Defense
Wing Commander
Alone In The Dark
Terminal Velocity
Duke Nukem II
King's Quest
Descent

I nearly pissed myself when I got in the mail.

Annnddd apparently this thing sells for $50-70 on ebay. Wow. I'll be heading over to their place in a bit, if anyone is interested.
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YES YES YES.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grabbed it and another disc that focuses on Monkey Island. A friend of mine swore that it was a compilation disc PC Gamer put out, like the Classics disc, but I knew there was some sort of payment required, and I was right: the demo for The Curse of Monkey Island is included while the full versions of Monkey Island I & II are on the disc, but they require you sending LucasArts $20 to unlock them. I'm sure there's a way around this now, but seeing "Plus the original classics that started it all!" is a giant adventure game tease. They needed to add "... for $20!" I also picked up the eighth disc from Boot Magazine. Where can I store these at? I think MegaUploads is supposed to be pretty reliable.
parkbench

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually have a lot of those games thanks to #oldgames. Then again they're probably rips. And then again they probably don't run on my computer, like Thief, Homeworld, and a host of other games I desperately want to play.
ryan

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, if I can find the issue itself, I can scan all of the pages that deal with the disc. I recall that they went through each game and gave tips on getting them running on newer machines. I also have a Sam & Max (1) that has been updated to run in XP. I got it as a bonus with Armed & Dangerous, but it might have been given out with the new seasons, but I can try to track it down as well.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: