The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Going to San Francisco

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
seryogin
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 11:24 pm    Post subject: Going to San Francisco Reply with quote

Does anyone have any recommendations about hotels and such. I'm only staying for three days.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't know lots about hotels. There are hostels all over, if that's your bag. Sometimes two or three per block, depending on the neighborhood. I'd go for something in Lower Nob Hill.

The only hotel here I've moofed around is the Powell. I'm guessing it's not extra-cheap, as it's right next to tourist central. It's really nice and eccentric, though.

http://www.thepowellhotel.com/
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The place looks pretty interesting, in a nice, creepy way... I don't care where I stay for the most part, though I'm travelling with a fussy Japanese woman who will no doubt blame me for anything that goes wrong. Which makes planning a trip all the more stressful.

In any case, I'll probably end up settling on this unless something else comes along. I need to finish everything in the next few days. The rates don't look that bad, actually.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Phoenix Hotel is supposed to be the "Rock Star Hotel" which would make me never want to stay there myself; however, if that's what appeals to you, check it out. I had a friend who worked the night desk for a while there and he verified that insanity is regularly on the menu.

Other than that, no idea. Good luck!
aderack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 14, 2008 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

seryogin wrote:
The place looks pretty interesting, in a nice, creepy way...

Oh, it is that.

If you're not paying, and you're trying to avoid annoying someone, that's probably not a bad place.

Its location is also sort of bonkers, because it it literally at the most popular intersection in the city. It's like having a hotel that opens up right onto Times Square. Except more quaint.

The most busy BART station is right outside, as is the cable car turnaround. You're on the busiest shopping street in the city, crossed with the busiest thoroughfare.

So... Wherever you're going, you won't have much trouble getting to things.
JRPG Kommissar
JRPG Kommissar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, now that the hotel seems to be more or less taken care of, I was wondering what there is too see at San Francisco. I'm familiar with San Francisco through art, mostly, Hitchcock's films, Hunter S. Thompson's and Philip K. Dick's books, so I have the impression that SF is a very beautiful place. What are the must see sights then?

So far, I really want to see Golden Gate Park and SF's Chinatown (I don't see how it will be much different from NY's Chinatown, though), Japantown (though I've heard that it's like, just one street, similiar to Koreatown in central Manhattan).

And does anyone have any recommendations for eateries? Any tasty local delicacies that I should be aware of?

Thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Food: Get a burrito. El Farralito is a good starting point. There are tons of good places along Mission. There's also loads of good Asian -- I like Thai personally, King of Thai Noodles just off of Market is worth checking out if you want to have a drink to go with your food.

Places to check out:

Sutro Baths
The Tonga Room - Tiki bar in the Fairmont Hotel

If you can get north over the Golden Gate, Mount Tamalpais and the John Muir Redwoods are very nice. If you're willing to make a day trip out of it and start early, the Monterey Bay Aquarium is fantastic (plus the road between SF and Monterey has some spectacular views).

I'm more of an East Bay peep myself.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

go to the tea restaurant at yerba buena and go to the GINGER BREAD HOUSE jambalaya place in oakland

theres a really good vietnamese/persian place in the sunset but i forget exactly where it is arrghhhh

also go to the mcsweenys store and taxidermy store theyre right next to eachtoher

oh and beard papa, i guess its a chain but man i love my beard papa
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

little osaka has GREAT food i recommend on the bridge they have like 100 types of curry and any of their stand up noodle houses are good

oh CITIZEN CAKE if you want to go for a nice dinner oh man their desserts are soooo deliciousssusuusss also i love their oh shit i forgot waht its called i am such a loser its that spanish dish with rice and spices and a whole bunch of different fish

somewhere near pier 39 is this old carnival animatronic people museum and its creepy and awesome

oh yeah and zacharys in berkeley for pizza
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to see pretty stuff, there's the Palace of Fine Arts, the Japanese Tea Garden, and seriously do see Sutro Baths.

The Castro is also fun, if you like to be amazed by a Disneyland of Gay.

Note that Disneyland is already pretty gay.

http://www.gaydaysanaheim.com/

Most of the things I like in the city are pretty small and wouldn't necessarily blow your mind. Like I used to live two blocks from the location of Spade & Archer's detective agency. The sign is even up there in the window, next to a statue of a black bird. Then there's an amazing comic shop in Berkeley. And once there was an old Japanese guy stacking stones by the bay...

Kind of hard to point to this stuff.

The thing Daphny talked about is the Musee Mecanique.

http://www.museemechanique.org/

There's a Wikipedia navbar with most of the interesting stuff in the City on it.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty touristy but I like the restaurants near pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf. Alot of good Seafood restaurants.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: