The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

We don't seem to have a MAME thread.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 6:55 am    Post subject: We don't seem to have a MAME thread. Reply with quote

Not that I could find, anyway. I just wanted to post about some of the more WTF games I've recently played, thanks to loading up random games. Always leads to good times.

First, one I've known about for a long time. It's called DANCING EYES, where you play a monkey who undresses women.

It's actually a 3D clone of Amidar and plays really well. No really, it's a good game! The sense of humour is also quite charming. It's not just about undressing women, you also... well, I won't ruin it for those who want to play the game. I'll just point out that the following banner is from this game:

Right, so last night I discovered some NEW WTF games! The first is a little game called Tondemo Crisis... which is actually more well known as Incredible Crisis and was ported to the Playstation, but it's the first time I've played it. It's a series of often bizzare minigames stitched together by comical cutscenes. A review is on this page, plus some screens of the PSX port (the arcade version looks better):

Quote:
Some later minigames involved bailing out a rapidly sinking boat, escaping a boring class run by a crazed, sweet-suit-clad teacher, and giving a very, VERY erotic-sounding back massage to a lady on a Ferris wheel. Of course, I guess the moaning and groaning sound effects made more sense in the Japanese version, where it wasn't a back massage but oral sex. And it probably wasn't a lady.

The arcade emulation seems pretty great. I'll definitely be spending more time with this one!

Finally, there is Snacks'n Jaxson which plays sort of like 3D Breakout/Pong, but much more strange. You're a clown sitting at the end of a table. You sneeze your nose off, and must move your head around the screen (It's still attatched to your body by a string or something) to make sure it doesn't smash through the window behind you. Oh, and you lose a life if you bounce your nose before eating all the food on the screen. And a little imp thing in a chef outfit throws a pie at you when you lose a life. Qutie odd! Perhaps even strager stuff happens the further you get into the game.

So yes, fun times.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snax 'n' Jackson is an old favorite of mine. The little green chef goblin that feeds Jackson and pies him in the face when he doesn't eat all the food adds a huge dollop of surreality to proceedings. Who is the master and who is the slave in that relationship?

Also, gravity seems to be an 90 degrees to the norm, since the bouncing ball falls toards his face. This suggests that if Jackson stood up he'd fall out of his chair, through that window and keep going until his body was dashed against those mountains. At which point his nose would pop off.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could've sworn we had an Arcade Game Piracy thread but maybe I was thinking of insert credit.

Everyone play Monster Maulers. Then Metamoqester and Red Earth and watch how such games progressed. Or cut the shit and play Metamorphic Force because that stage five boss has a really hot arse and one of those dudes you play as is just bear city man.

loves your favorite videogame
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know, i tried to play red earth last week but couldn't get it working.

EDIT: apparently the solution was to use a different emulator.

i'm going to have to find time to post in this thread later.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem solved then. I guess it only works if you have the CHD, even the no-CD set. This doesn't happen with the other two CPS3 games which is good since you can just use the no-CD sets and not have to sit through a half hour start-up the first time you run the games.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: