The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dark steve

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm shocked that figure is as high as it is (the 22%). What are the stats for people who stick with gym memberships and the like?
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

about the same, or so i've been told. i'm sure the industry measures it obsessively.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 1:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just spent the day playing Mario Kart Wii.

Fuuuuck, it's good. It's the first Mario Kart game that -clicks- with me. I've never really felt like a fan of Mario Kart until now.

Drifting feels intuitive and I now look for the courses that let me drift the entire time. The steering wheel makes far more of a difference than I expected it to - and in a good way.

One of the best things is that I'm able to play as King Boo on a freaking motocycle. Is this the first game to allow you to play as Boo? It's the first time I've played as a boo before, and I love it. I find myself picking bikes with good acceleration and handling, and actually seeing decent improvements in my playing as I learn how to control the bike better.

This is basically my first day with the game, but damn. I am impressed!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My problem with it is that it's so visually cluttered. That tree-top course looks like the Care Bears movie or some shit. Also Coconut Mall freaks me out! Placed out of context in the Mario universe the Miis look like the Hattifatteners from the Moomins, eerie and sinister.

The best looking levels are the remakes of old snes courses, I think. There's a lot less visual static. The GBA level where you're on a beach and the Shy Guys are firing cannonballs at you is by far and away the most appealing course in my eyes.
KinokoFry

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree. Actually, my favourite courses are the simple, relatively uncluttered ones. I get a bit frustrated with courses that have all sorts of crap in my way and stop me from being able to think I'm a good driver.

But I don't necesarilly mind them being there, because perhaps if I were better at the game, I'd enjoy those challenges more. I'm sure lots of people do. I'm just a casual Mario Kart player. I haven't even played all the courses yet! So far, I'm rather into the desert course because HOT DAMN drifting along those curves is fun. Am I right, guys? Huh? Huh??

It seems to me that Nintendo keep switching between the Rainbow Road being great fun, and being stupidly difficult. This Rainbow road is beautiful, possibly the best looking one yet. Visually, I adore it. But I'll be fucked if I have a chance in hell of playing on that damn thing because I barely have time to lament between all my falls off the edge.

I don't know if it's unlockable - I really hope so - but my favourite track of all time is that simple circuit that just goes around and around. I can't remember the name, but I seem to remember it from the 64 version. Not sure, but it might have been related to baby Mario and baby Luigi. It was fantastic. You like driving really fast and not having to worry about difficult corners? You like FUN? That's the course. I really hope it's in this game.

Regardless, enjoying the HECK out of this game. The general controls are the best yet.
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'd forgotten how beautiful sunsoft's trip world is. daphaknee played gimmick while she was here, which reminded me i needed to play it. gimmick is all about physics and challenge, though, while its gameboy psuedosequel is about exploring strange and beautiful places inhabited by strange and inexplicable creatures. one of the abilities you can acquire is a flower growing out of your head, which tosses seeds that grow flowers on other creatures' heads, causing them to stop and stand around peacefully for a few moments.

it's almost a predecessor to knytt in some ways. the twist is that occasionally that charming scenery and strange creatures bite and hurt you out of nowhere. sometimes they goad you into it, even: there's a room where you get a weapon (a long thwippy tail), and almost immediately a harmless little creature comes walking along. bop it with your tail and it flies into a rage, killing you. so your sense of wonder is tempered by this cautious fear that's not entirely unlike actually visiting a strange and unknown place.

AND SPEAKING OF THE GAMEBOY, let's talk about the best roguelike on the little machine. that's right, konami's cave noire. cave noire is a fantastic little game that handles tropes of the genre, like darkness and secret passages, in clever ways most attempts at console roguelikes never consider. the game has a handful of dungeons, each with a different goal: kill a certain amount of monsters, recover a certain amount of gold, rescue a certain amount of fairies (by finding their cages and the keys that will unlock them). when you complete your goal, that dungeon levels up and becomes harder.

the game emphasizes sneaking past enemies more than most similiar games: since most enemies follow obvious movement patterns, it's actually encouraged. the game also has the character lacking in so many console roguelikes (this is one of the things that makes shiren so successful). your little guy's reactions and animations tell a whole story.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

look, here's a movie of trip world.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 6:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KinokoFry wrote:
I don't know if it's unlockable - I really hope so - but my favourite track of all time is that simple circuit that just goes around and around. I can't remember the name, but I seem to remember it from the 64 version. Not sure, but it might have been related to baby Mario and baby Luigi. It was fantastic. You like driving really fast and not having to worry about difficult corners? You like FUN? That's the course. I really hope it's in this game.

Baby Park, first seen in the GC game and brought back for the DS game. I hate it! The retards who played the DS game online only ever played this stupid, boring track and just snaked around the whole fucking thing, it's pretty much solely responsible for turning me off online play. I could handle snakers, because I can snake too, but that track is just so damn dull and uninteresting. It's not what I play mario kart for!

I haven't tried the Wii version yet. I don't know anyone else who has it, and I don't think I know anyone who would want to play it with me locally, and I sure as hell ain't interested in the solo play. Plus it still has all the problems of the DS version, I hear, and new ones to go with it, but I'm sure it's still good, stupid fun like all the others.

In other news, there sure are lots of interesting game boy games. The game boy is so awesome, yes.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Chocobo's Mysterious Dungeon a few days ago and played a bunch of it the first night despite the fact that my wife can't stand it. It's surprisingly really good! It's much better and way different from the previous Chocobo's Dungeon games.

The premise is that Adventures Cid and Chocobo are wisked away to a town where a bell tower randomly tolls which makes people forget things. Then a random baby with wings on its diaper falls out of the sky that has the power to let people remember. But only if Chocobo can make it through a random dungeon triggered by holding the B button while standing next to that person! It makes no sense at all, but that doesn't stop it from being really good.

The few twists in play are listable, so let me list them!

1. You keep your equipment and levels when you die, but levels come much further apart than most roguelikes and do much less for you. As far as I can tell they pretty much just add some HP.

2. You have various classes you can choose between and level up that are based on the FF job system. These classes are tied to an MP bar, which gradually refills over time and maxes out at 3 uses (for now).

3. Some optional dungeons have parameters set which force you to play differently. One was "you and all enemies have 1HP" another was, "you are blind," and another was, "level cap of 12 and huge hallway of enemies." These dungeons always take away your equipment and usually your levels too.

Other than those, pretty much everything else is standard roguelike stuff. Being able to hold on to items makes it much more forgiving than something like Shiren, but I find that having selectable classes and usable, refillable magic make the game a lot more in line with my play style without sacrificing what makes roguelikes interesting. So yeah, I actually think this one's pretty good! If you're interested in it, be aware that GameStop has it for $40 and I believe everyone else is charging $50.

-Wes
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend of mine has been playing that too and says it's quite fun and would be a good RogueLike gateway drug.

In other news, Jet Set Willy Online; best multiplayer game ever?

Last edited by Cycle on Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:43 am; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yeah! I should for sure mention that the first few hours are excruciatingly painful!

Personally, I'm not sure if gateway is the right word for it. Pokemon maybe, but I'm pretty sure this would still be good for seasoned roguelikers. Does anybody playing Roguelikes lose their best weapon and get giddy about it?

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle: There are so many special moments in JSW. Let us never forget.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jet set willy should really be the official tgq chat
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But it just devolves into cybersex all the time

Seriously if ever there was a forum whose chatrooms i'd think were full of cybersex, it would not be that of The Closest Thing The Games Industry Has To A Journal of Serious Critique, The Gamer's Quarter
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fruit mystery

My dad said that it is when robin williams sucks Coke up his nose and goes "MMMMM" then acts like a COMPLETE DICKHEAD for two and a half hours, usually on recordced on film. When he is not COKED UP he is also a dickhead anyway my dad sayd. My dad does not like him any more than I do. I SUSPECT that dads infomation means that the only time when Robin WILLIAMS is not being a dickhead is when he is asleep but even then is probly farts every five minuts and makes the room smell AWFUL. "POOH" people say when a room smells bad, "HAS ROBIN WILLIAMS BEEN ASLEEP IN HERE". I tell my dad this and he nods yes, probably thats right.
Its great good when my dad and me AGREE on something for real, its like two GIANTS BELLS dancing ringing in to the light
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoyed that game
KinokoFry

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Game of the Year, that. Brilliant.
randomuser83

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im currently playing MGS4. Which I think is the greatest game of the year thus far.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even better than Fruit Mystery? Unlikely!
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

randomuser83 wrote:
Im currently playing MGS4. Which I think is the greatest game of the year thus far.

yeah i think you need to give up on that and play some fruit mystery
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

(posted originally at the other TGQ)

Wii Fit teaches me about posture!

Here is bad posture:

Here is good posture:

Lesson learned... bad posture is much sexier than good posture.

Plus, why does the balance board sound like Navi + GlaDOS??

But Seriously.
Gamespy compares this and that Xbox fitness game. I wonder about which is better... in some ways Wii Fit seems to lack guidance. And sometimes the games seem more about gameness than, you know, like balance itself...
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Jul 12, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people should post at hte n ew tgq more often
aderack

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
fruit mystery

This thing is really making the rounds, suddenly. They're mostly citing Dess' site. I'm guessing she got it from IC?

The game reminds me a lot of Magic Carousel.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
fruit mystery

i got it from here.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 13, 2008 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Word-of-Mouth-on-Keyboard in action!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played a cowboyana tonight.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

money makes wario's world go round

so i've given super mario land 3: wario land another shot, thanks to the efforts of kojicakes and l (a.k.a canon dorf) on selectbutton. wario is the bizarro version of super mario; a crude and rude take on the cute, fuddy uncle of a plumber. wario doesn't have bunny ears, he has a jetpack. he doesn't have a flower to help him shoot fireballs, he has a flamethrower hat with the appearance of a dragon. he can knock enemies out by simply touching them, and charge through brick walls, the level designs crafted to match these abilities that would make princess peach forget mario instantly. but he's not in it to save a princess or even the world he lives in. he's in it for the money.

and it's this greed for money that drives the game. there are many situations where a stockpile of cash will tempt the player, a deadly obstacle between them. in many cases the money can be easily ignore and wario can continue to the end of the level, but wario, and the player, want this money. it's the only "score" in the game, the end level screen designed to lure the player into wanting to increase the amount in his or her vault. there is no denying that it is satisfying when hundreds of gold coins are added to his or her bank account.

there is even a gambling game to reflect this greed. in it, wario has a fifty fifty chance of doubling his cash, or having a weight dropped on his head and losing half of all he worked to collect through the level. whether he wins or loses, he still has two tries. if he wins, should he try again or quit while he's ahead? if he loses, should he try to win it back or back or leave and not risk losing even more? the greed of the player decides the greed of wario.

money is also used for opening doors, activating checkpoints, and paying to pay minigames for extra lives. but how often will the player play this game rather than just to try win more money? very little.

because to the player, and to wario, money is more important than life.

betterthandess.com coming soon.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
wario is the bizarro version of super mario; a crude and rude take on the cute, fuddy uncle of a plumber. wario doesn't have bunny ears, he has a jetpack. he doesn't have a flower to help him shoot fireballs, he has a flamethrower hat with the appearance of a dragon. he can knock enemies out by simply touching them, and charge through brick walls, the level designs crafted to match these abilities that would make princess peach forget mario instantly. but he's not in it to save a princess or even the world he lives in. he's in it for the money.

on selectbutton.net, dessgeega wrote:
as mario's image becomes increasingly friendly, wario's first adventure allows him to be a kind of black parody of miyamoto's character: mario eats smiling mushrooms to gain power, wario stuffs angry garlic cloves into his mouth; mario touches a flower to gain the ability to toss fireballs, wario wears the head of a dragon to unleash a flamethrower; mario uses flapping bunny ears to fly, wario uses a fucking jet. what both have in common is a propensity for violence and money-hoarding, but only wario is honest enough to admit he's a sociopath.

HMM.

but yeah, i've been replaying the wario land games too. i played through wario land last week, and just finished playing through wario land 2. i really like what the latter is doing with its narrative structure. FOR EXAMPLE: the game starts with an alarm going off in a distant room as wario's castle (the one achieved at the end of the first wario land) is under seige by pirates (who tossed the alarm clock into a far-off corner in the hopes of keeping wario subdued).

IF YOU DON'T GET OUT OF BED in the first minute of gameplay, the pirates will drag wario off and toss him outside of his own castle, and then youll get to play an entirely seperate series of levels from the main sequence in which wario breaks back into his own castle and routes the invaders. and then you get a different ending.

that first stage is fantastic: all those hidden rooms filled with coins not only allow you to learn (or relearn) your abilities but also do a great job of characterizing wario. this is the kind of guy who keeps gold stashed in secret vaults behind his dresser, up his chimney, etc.

it also ensures you have a lot of money the first few times you encounter the treasure games. these i absolutely despise: they're founded on the same principle as the gambling game in the first wario land, and they exist only to keep you from achieving 100% too easily. wario can't die in wario land 2, so they needed some reason to justify collecting all these coins as well as some sort of penalty to impose on getting hit. hence, it costs money to win the treasures and get your 100%, and getting hit causes you to lose coins, reducing your ability to buy luck.

in the first game, all the treasures are hidden in actual secret locations. i feel clever when i find one, and my reward is a piece of shiny treasure. in wario land 2, the treasure rooms are always out of the way or hard to reach, but when i find them instead of satisfaction i get to play a silly gambling game that usually still comes down to luck even if i spend a huge amount of money on it.

also, by eliminating death, wario land 2 gets the most frustrating bosses possible. GEEZ. i'm not even going to bother replaying the third one.

but i do need to revisit the fourth one, which introduces a life bar and is probably alll the better for it.

ADDENDUM: oh, and something the first two games get right that all the latter ones screw up is the use of pirates as antagonists. the dubious morality of the ensuing battle of thieves better suits wario, who is himself essentially a villain. later games, including the gorgeous new one, all drop wario in the midst of some battle between good and evil that he has no business being involved in.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stay tuned for betterthandess.com wario land 2 impressions, folks! as soon as betterthandess finishes the first one.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This betterthandess website sounds shitty!

I would rather see someone make fun fun of that Pompous ass who writes for Penny Arcade. He's a Dave Sim in the making. I hope his pretentiousness is backed up by some KER-AAAAAAYZEE VIEWS

Quote:
This is the deep-dish, delicious irony endured by the Nintendo stalwart: to see their platform of choice ascendant, even as their bright God turns his face away

What a douche.
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time last week I decided that I just had to own SEGA Classics Collection for the Fantasy Zone remake. So now I do.

It's great. I couldn't give two shits about the rest of the games but I don't care because this one particular game makes up for the rest. Well, that and Columns. If SEGA had never done Daytona I might say that the Virtua Racing port would be another one I could see myself enjoying outside the visuals but after Daytona I only get Virtua Boredom whenever I press the start button.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have said Actua Boredom!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hear the fantasy zone remake is actually the shining part of that collection, and the 3d is just as round and colorful as the original game.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 4:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It translated really well, they didn't mess with the perspective much and they didn't mess with the gameplay. The camera stays side on except for a very short animation of Opa-Opa (the player) flying into each planet and after you kill each boss, where it goes behind you Space Fantasy Zone style whilst you catch the coins the boss drops in a very short bonus stage. There's a "challenge" mode where you can play each stage separately to grind enjoyably for coins to buy a bunch of extra items and stages for play in "normal" mode (which has the camera shenanigans and the coin bonus stage) and a "gallery" where you can view any unlocked character models (which look absolutely darling I should mention).

And if you don't like the camera shenanigans and extra stuff there's an "arcade" mode where it keeps everything the same as the original game. It's like you never left.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taito Games!
dessgeega wrote:
i hear the fantasy zone remake is actually the shining part of that collection, and the 3d is just as round and colorful as the original game.

Hey, they managed to turn Alien Syndrome (a very boring and very early Sega game) into a really awesome co-op Contra-alike. It's fantastic! That and FZ are the only reasons to own the collection and totally worth it.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also really like the Outrun remake. It's ugly, yet it plays really awesomely.

Space Harrier is also sort of a fun reinvention. I like the new character design, and the new catch phrases are hilarious.

Really, the only bad thing on that collection is the Golden Axe remake. The collection got a really raw deal when it came out. People weren't even willing to give it a chance, and most of the "professional" reviews I read were flat-out wrong about so many things that I don't think they even played the games...

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Hey, they managed to turn Alien Syndrome (a very boring and very early Sega game) into a really awesome co-op Contra-alike. It's fantastic! That and FZ are the only reasons to own the collection and totally worth it.

i actually own the alien syndrome reinvention. it's hella good.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 8:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the final boss fight (the one i actually have to fight) in mother 3 is impossible without a way to replenish my mp so im never going to see the ending now

oh edit: nevermidn those lightning ball dudes drop flan IM TOTALLY KICKING THIS GAMES ASS NOW

Last edited by daphaknee on Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
Shapermc wrote:

i actually own the alien syndrome reinvention. it's hella good.

And they didn't stick it in the PAL release. Us gallant PALS Fighters lose yet another battle. Shit.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 18, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
I also really like the Outrun remake. It's ugly, yet it plays really awesomely.

Word. Probably the worst Outrun car in terms of visuals; however, the controls are so precise that I played this for a few days straight after picking up the collection just cutting down my time.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 19, 2008 6:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

last night i communicated to other death players, through my corpses, that i am an asshole.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still can't complete area-17 of Atomic Robo-Kid Special. I think it's a good thing, there's probably one of those one-on-one laser tennis matches afterwards. Those guys are complete bastards.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 3:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the laser tennis is my favorite part.

i've never been able to beat the final boss.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sky blazer, snes.

you know, for all this game's flaws (too-stiff controls that, combined with the protagonist's short and often unclear range of attack, often make it hard to avoid being hurt), i can't help but like it. the level design is pleasingly devious, and the stages are often quick and punchy. there's a lot of what looks like hardware gimmickry (rotating nebulus towers, sprite-scaling bosses), but actually provides pretty clever setpieces - it moves past tech demo territory, unlike super castlevania.

and though it has password saves, it has far and away the quickest and most convenient interface for entering them on its console.

D-A-I-S, do you like this game? for some reason it seems like the sort of thing you'd be into.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
last night i communicated to other death players, through my corpses, that i am an asshole.

YOU were behind that? Fucking hell. I got to that level, threw myself at every hazard I could find, and STILL didn't make a dent in that wall of corpses. I had to quit playing.
aderack

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2008 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, having initially dismissing Portrait of Ruin -- I only played for maybe half an hour before rejecting it; hadn't played it in a year and a half -- I went back to it the other day. And... it's actually pretty good, once you're past some of the initial tedium. Thanks to Mr. Koshiro, the music is the best since Harmony of Dissonance. It controls really, really well. The animation is pretty good, actually. A lot of the enemies are redrawn -- though there's a big disparity in style between the new ones and the recycled ones. The new ones all look like they're by the Circle of the Moon guys, and the old ones are so clearly Sorrow carry-overs.

There is actual, legitimate level design in places -- which is novel. More of it than in Dawn of Sorrow, in fact! It's just, 1/3 of the real level design in DoS was right at the start, whereas in PoR it doesn't come in for a couple of hours. (Until then it's a combination of tutorial and convoluted system introduction, against monsters-on-shelves design.)

And it does actually feel different enough as not to just feel like another GBA/DS Castlevania -- which is the fate suffered by Dawn of Sorrow.

I'd say this is definitely not the worst handheld Igavania. Harmony and Aria still compete for the best; Harmony for its feeling and Aria for its reason. I'd have to play some more, but I think I'm now enjoying this about as much as Circle of the Moon...
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
Cycle wrote:

YOU were behind that? Fucking hell. I got to that level, threw myself at every hazard I could find, and STILL didn't make a dent in that wall of corpses. I had to quit playing.

Sorry man, it wasn't supposed to happen to someone I know Sad It was gone when I checked an hour or so later.

If the guy develops this further (and I hope he does, like he did with the brilliant Karoshi which is a game I wish I made), he needs to put me on the beta test team because I'm great at finding asshole exploits!

You heard me!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exciting seaman 2 news!

i own seaman 2. that is only PART of the exciting news, however.

the other part is that the SEAMIC PS2 PAD it comes with is, in fact, a PS2 SATURN PAD.

usb saturn pad! they don't make those anymore!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
sky blazer, snes.

you know, for all this game's flaws (too-stiff controls that, combined with the protagonist's short and often unclear range of attack, often make it hard to avoid being hurt), i can't help but like it. the level design is pleasingly devious, and the stages are often quick and punchy. there's a lot of what looks like hardware gimmickry (rotating nebulus towers, sprite-scaling bosses), but actually provides pretty clever setpieces - it moves past tech demo territory, unlike super castlevania.

and though it has password saves, it has far and away the quickest and most convenient interface for entering them on its console.

D-A-I-S, do you like this game? for some reason it seems like the sort of thing you'd be into.

I like it! But I don't love it. It always seemed like a not-as-interesting semi-sequel to the Hook licensed game. If you haven't played that I highly recommend doing so!

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 73, 74, 75 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 74 of 85

Jump to: