The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Authentic Videogame Link Dump Thread (news?)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23, 24, 25  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed May 28, 2008 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The caveman story should be a must-play for developers.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know certain some of you have things for grappling hooks, so I thought I'd point out that todays floozy is a game about a grappling hook.

http://www.gamedujour.com/

Last edited by Cycle on Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:51 am; edited 1 time in total
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can we start calling them floozies instead of cheap indie games? it gives them more character.

as in "today's floozy is about beagle farming"
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

today's floozy is about stopping beagle farming.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THIS JUST IN: Hardcore Gamer Magazine sucks. What the fuck is this, half the issue is about MGS4. Thanks for reprinting 70% straight off of websites.

I just checked and, yes, the MGS4 is pretty much half the issue: the issue is 66 pages, with the first seven split between four pages of ads, one for the index, and two staff pages, then the next 33 pages (including ads) about MGS4 and MGS Online. The rest of the magazine includes a filler about free online games - I swear they did this a month or two back - one review of a DBZ game, a retro review, their downloads reviews, and that's about it. At least the section for GameCock is finally gone; that shit was embarrassing for everyone involved.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wait... didn't they just switch to a quarterly format? That's one quarters worth of magazine? Man, I haven't read it in ... well since the free subscription ran out from before the mag started.

Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I swear they did this a month or two back

No, we didn't?

Also, Adilegian (who posts around here, IC, and SB) wrote the cover piece. We actually focused on what most media outlets HADN'T covered very much while also respecting the guidelines set forth by Konami. I think it's better than a lot of other mag's coverage, mostly because it's not just the facts regurgitated- It really gives you an overall feeling of how the game plays, which honestly, a lot of articles do not. I am a not a neutral party, though. I'm pretty damned biased.

The cover story is only actually 18 pages of, I think, 58 editorial pages? i can't remember. The 18 pages are split between MGS4 and MGO.

Even without that, at least the designs were good, right? I completely redesigned the magazine this issue from the ground up.

I believe the free PDF goes up soon, Shapes, if you want to check it out.

I even managed to get a two page spread on Suchie Pai in this issue!
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I made mention that ads, including the first seven pages with ads, comprised the first 33 pages. I've seen most of that material elsewhere, though, and especially now with the last week or so as outlets have ramped up retrospect pieces about the series. The previous MMO article, if memory serves, was the issue before the spread about playing games online for cash; or maybe it was smaller MMOs in general.

Still, remove MGS materials and 27% of the magazine is gone, and that's keeping in the ads throughout, which is nuts. The other material, like energy drinks and supplements, seems to be reaching for content, but I guess there might be people out there pumping up on pills they import and have little comprehension of. The layout is flashy, but it looks like it's dominating the content, with full pages being just art or sections with about 70% of the page taken up as images. I don't think I would have minded so much had there just been more there. Sixty-six pages is especially lean, and the past few issues haven't really been engaging.

The only other magazine I get is Game Informer - free, at that - but it's essentially toilet paper and not really useful in gauging magazine quality in general, so maybe the trend is for smaller issues.
Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had the issue for about 3 weeks I think? And I get it like everyone else. Just as a note, there are the same amount of editorial pages as before, just less ads.

As for page focus, that's not actually my call. But I will pass your feedback along.

The MMO article you're talking about was '26-29: Mass Appeal: MMOs through the eyes of EA Mythic' which is from the April 2007 issue, which is 11 issues ago.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

While doing some research I ran across THIS GAME. . . what the hell? Is this even in english?

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh, I don't see what the big deal is? It's a Settlers game on the DS, it came out ages ago.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's just kind of bizarre. It's "exclusive" and possibly not in english. It was published by Ubisoft, so why hide it away where no one's going to see it. It's just one of those situation which boggles me.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Settlers was a huge hit in Europe but not so much in the US, so I guess they didn't send truckloads over there? I don't know. I'm pretty sure it would be in english though.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

when you said 'the settlers' i thought it was going to be a settlers in catan game
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashura wrote:
I've had the issue for about 3 weeks I think? And I get it like everyone else. Just as a note, there are the same amount of editorial pages as before, just less ads.

As for page focus, that's not actually my call. But I will pass your feedback along.

The MMO article you're talking about was '26-29: Mass Appeal: MMOs through the eyes of EA Mythic' which is from the April 2007 issue, which is 11 issues ago.

I think GI ran a similar piece, and I was thinking of it. Yeah, I checked vol. 4 issue 1 and noticed 66, but only one less ad. The diversity of the download section and the retro reviews are good (ex. of articles of interest have been the How To Mame and Linux on PS3), but I think it's the approach of focusing on a handful of games - 18 pp for brawl in 4.1 - per issue that isn't jiving with me. If someone doesn't care for a particular game, it's blow for the entire issue since almost half, ads into account, focuses on them. Oh ... hell, I just realized that I might not be your target market anymore. Hells bells.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan wrote:
I just realized that I might not be your target market anymore. Hells bells.

I realized this about most game magazines about 5 years ago.

Ashura

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2008 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote the Linux on PS3 thing, glad to know someone read it! I know we're still trying to do stuff like that... we did a building your own joystick article a while back, too. I sort of felt the Drugs for Gamer deal is sort of the same theme as those. I have no interest in drinking competitively, but knowing what's in the drinks and how they effect or affect you was an interesting subject to me. I had no idea how they work or what was in them beforehand. I didn't even know that people use the stuff to pump themselves up before tournaments, even.

I have this video game copy protection thing I need to pitch when I have time. Did you like the stuff we did like Ports Gone Wrong? What kind of stuff do you want to see/liked before?
ryan

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ashura wrote:
I wrote the Linux on PS3 thing, glad to know someone read it! I know we're still trying to do stuff like that... we did a building your own joystick article a while back, too. I sort of felt the Drugs for Gamer deal is sort of the same theme as those. I have no interest in drinking competitively, but knowing what's in the drinks and how they effect or affect you was an interesting subject to me. I had no idea how they work or what was in them beforehand. I didn't even know that people use the stuff to pump themselves up before tournaments, even.

I have this video game copy protection thing I need to pitch when I have time. Did you like the stuff we did like Ports Gone Wrong? What kind of stuff do you want to see/liked before?

As I went into paragraph three, I thought to myself, "Best to send this as a PM."
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 3:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

trailer of an upcoming ds game from squaresoft about the inherent dischord and spookiness in a glitchy videogame. (they're aren't nearly enough of those.) there are two layers of the story: a photorealistic first-person adventure and a dragon quest-looking famicom game within the game. (note how they use different screen orientations.) that game-within-a-game begins to leak out into the game proper.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
trailer of an upcoming ds game from squaresoft about the inherent dischord and spookiness in a glitchy videogame. (they're aren't nearly enough of those.) there are two layers of the story: a photorealistic first-person adventure and a dragon quest-looking famicom game within the game. (note how they use different screen orientations.) that game-within-a-game begins to leak out into the game proper.

Wow, this looks amazing! I'm stunned it's coming from square though.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm a little late to the party, but Starmen.net are having a mass EB playthrough over at http://ebfgp.net/1 . Every day they'll post a new entry saying which bits you need to play today, and little bits of trivia about the section you're playing, as well as challenges and things like that. Awesome! I'm well overdue for an Earthbound playthough, since I've only managed to play it through to the end once. It's a good thing to do in the run-up to mother 3, too.

I've named the characters the same as I named them on the first ever playthrough I did- James, Lucy (my sister's name), Tom (my best friend in college) and Bva (mine and Tom's best friend). The dog is named after my pet as a child, Jack. I played the game in the first year of university, and felt quite lonely and adrift at that point- I suppose I was pining for the familiarity of home.

The game is sort of breaking my heart because I'm remembering all the things I felt when first playing through it- when you mum says things like 'you're growing up so fast, you have a big adventure ahead of you' it reminds me of how resonant those words were to me at 19, on my first time living away from home. Likewise the absent father figure. Your relationship with your father in the game mirrored my real-life relationship with my own dad completely. It's sad; it's like I'm not just revisiting Earthbound, I'm revisiting who I was 6 years ago. Perhaps that's quite fitting since like my 19-year-old self, I've just moved to a whole new part of the world where I have to make a whole new set of friends, and I'm feeling quite lost. Hopefully, this means I should be as fully engaged in Earthbound this time around as I was the first time I played it.

Funny that all the other times I tried to play the game since the first I wasn't able to devote myself to it so fully. It's like Earthbound will always be there for me, but only when I really need it.
Cossix

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man I'd totally join in on that if I hadn't played Earthbound like a few months ago. Sad Maybe I'll still participate in the discussion though.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jun 21, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

'Spose this belongs more in the other thread ._.
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2008 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Diablo 3 was announced. I can't explain why I enjoy laying waste to hundreds of goblins, but I do. So help me I do. Here are some interesting tidbits:

- Destructible environments
- Random dungeons (with destructible environments)
- Random quests
- Random NPC encounters
- Random scripted events
- Skill bar, health is dropped by orbs, but this changes the game pretty drastically: now enemies have to be attack based on vulnerability and not by spamming the same attack.
- Witch doctor actually seems pretty awesome with a spell that casts a swam of locus at enemies that migrate to the next once done eating away at the initial victim. Also: wall of zombies.

And! Diablo 2 and its expansion have been added to the Blizzard store. So, if you own one or both you can log into your account, add the game keys, and then have access to the full downloads wherever you have an Internet connection.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

namco's released 9-volt: the game. i can't decide whether it looks interesting or derivative.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
namco's released 9-volt: the game. i can't decide whether it looks interesting or derivative.

I don't find the two categories exclusive!

what are they doing w/ all those games?
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sun Jun 29, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that doesnt look like 9volt
where are his headphones
wheres his turntable

why is he a big box
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So I just got the email for the most recent Escapist and.... well there's no mention of any games in the email at all. It's all starwars crap. Add to that, half of them are ngj-type "when I was a kid Star Wars was...".

Have they jumped the shark?

dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOT ENTIRELY.

(pro-tip: i may be in an upcoming issue.)

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uru/Myst Online's coming back. An outline of the new, user-focused plan is here.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

this time i am finally going to play it, goddammit.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want to have to go through GameTap for this ;_;

That's what kept me from it last time, and could again.

dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it probably shouldn't, since gametap's not connected to it anymore.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a game is out.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

what the hell is that supposed to be

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

this.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh ok, well it's not much use to me unless it comes out in english Sad(

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok i'll keep that in mind next time i post something in this thread
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks dess, it's appreciated!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

somewhere in this video is a preview of jeff minter's gridrunner sequel for live arcade.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh christ, that looks sweet. the new graphics look great!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous!

I'm interested in seeing more about how the audio interacts with the game. It looks more like the music is adjusting to the action on the screen rather than the game (visuals) in someway reacting to the music. Very interesting.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks like every other game he's ever done!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, harvey

so naive.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harvey, everything you draw looks like everything else you've ever drawn.

Alternatively: Fuck right off out of it, yeah?
simplicio

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Minter needs to dust off Unity and rebuild it for the Wiimote via Wiiware. A/V
overstimulus plus sloppy analog- sounds proper, doesn't it?
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
Harvey, everything you draw looks like everything else you've ever drawn.

Right, I apologise for this, but:

http://www.maudevintage.com/jamesharvey/shroom/colourschemetest.gif

http://www.maudevintage.com/jamesharvey/mars/conceptart/colourschemes.gif

http://www.maudevintage.com/jamesharvey/shroom/india2.jpeg

http://www.maudevintage.com/jamesharvey/files/theorygirlweb.png

http://www.maudevintage.com/soldier/stills1.jpg

http://maudevintage.com/jamesharvey/files/spooooge.jpg

http://www.maudevintage.com/soldier/stills2.jpg

http://www.maudevintage.com/jamesharvey/tarogomidoodlebook/itsraining.gif[

http://www.maudevintage.com/soldier/stills3.jpg

If you think all that looks the same, then you know less about this stuff than I thought you did. Maybe you could say the same about me and my appraisal of Jeff Minter's games! But, you have to concede that stylistically, it's not a big departure from his last game, RIGHT

Last edited by Harveyjames on Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:31 am; edited 1 time in total
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jesus christ harvey, fuck off with that shit. christ almighty.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I edited it so now you have to click the links

Still though, you can't blame me for wanting to defend myself.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

THANK YOU.

But yeah, sure it looks similar to his last game, but he's made lots more than those two! This new game is probably using the same engine as Space Giraffe to save time and money. Plus it looked great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 23, 24, 25  Next
Page 18 of 25

Jump to: