The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Thief

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Thief Reply with quote

Ok, so floating over from the dhex thread I've decided to play through both Thief 1 + 2.

Strangely enough I have a copy of Thief II: The Metal Age which I bought from a thrift store in TN while passing through. I've always assumed it wouldn't work without major overhaul. Anyways, I'm also in the process of getting the Gold Edition of the first game because that I don't have.

Anyways, am I going to want/need fan patches in order to get these running smoothly? Any mods that make it more playable? What should I be looking for here?

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It doesn't need patching.

Also, check this out once you're done with both: http://www.thief2x.com/
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uh, it actually might need patching. Mine did!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither the Gold Edition of the first one nor my copy of the second will need patching and will work on WinXP SP3? Weird! I kind of expected them to be a hastle as is my experience with games not written for XP.

Also, I remember hearing about that Thief2X when it was finished. Thanks for the link.

EDIT: Cycle, where am I going to get those patches?

Dracko

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never ever had a problem with playing the Thief games myself. System Shock 2 was a different, gruelling story altogether.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got all my technical help from www.ttlg.com. they might work fine without patched, I'm on vista which required a bit more dicking around.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Thief Reply with quote

People think I'm crazy, but I prefer the original Thief: The Dark Project, the one without the extra four levels they added to Thief Gold. The levels don't do much besides pad the game out. I always preferred the original length for how quickly the story moved. It just feels like the game gets to the point faster.

-Matt
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

having never played any of these, is thief: deadly shadows worth the 20 bucks offa steam?

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Thief Reply with quote

Sajon wrote:
People think I'm crazy, but I prefer the original Thief: The Dark Project, the one without the extra four levels they added to Thief Gold. The levels don't do much besides pad the game out. I always preferred the original length for how quickly the story moved. It just feels like the game gets to the point faster.

-Matt

Ha, it's Matt! Good to see you sir. (We both used to write on GameCritics.com.)

To be more on topic, I have Gold installed and I haven't played it. I think I played about half of the tutorial level of Deadly Shadows. It's on the list with Planescape and Fallout in terms of PC games that I Should Really Get Around to Playing.
Dracko

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
having never played any of these, is thief: deadly shadows worth the 20 bucks offa steam?

No way.

I got Thief and Thief II - along with Brothers in Arms: Earned in Blood and Shogun: Total War - for a tenner. You can't really beat that.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

I got it for $5 for the Xboxxen a while back and it seemed like that was about the right price for the game, no more.

sediment

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deadly shadows is alright, but it's nowhere near as good as the original Thief games.

honestly it plays a lot more like, say, a Splinter Cell game with special magic bullets.

parkbench

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I've never ever had a problem with playing the Thief games myself. System Shock 2 was a different, gruelling story altogether.

I had the opposite experience. SS2 was hard to get working for awhile, but then I found this perfectly patched/packaged working edition. Thief on the other hand, doesn't want to work for me, ever.

I really, really want to play it guys.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Thief Reply with quote

Sajon wrote:

I agree that they didn't need the Thieves Guild mission in there (I also hate that level) but the other two felt like good additions in my opinion. I also liked the changes they made to the maps, definite improvements in some cases. Plus Thief Gold has the blooper reel which is one of the greatest things ever.

Guys, Thief 3 is worth more than $5 Sad what's everyones thoughts on this one? I think it's a very worthy addition to the series which brings it a brilliant close, despite the engine limitations and the flaky city bits.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

oh, by the way, thief 3 is one of the FREE GAMES on gametap right now, so you could go down that route.

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Thief Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

Guys, Thief 3 is worth more than $5 Sad what's everyones thoughts on this one? I think it's a very worthy addition to the series which brings it a brilliant close, despite the engine limitations and the flaky city bits.

Thief 3 is a step down from Thief 1 and 2 game design-wise. But story-wise it is an excellent conclusion to a trilogy... if you can get past some clumsy storytelling here and there.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never finished 3 because it just didn't work well on the Xbox honestly. I liked it quite a bit otherwise.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:14 am    Post subject: Re: Thief Reply with quote

Sajon wrote:
Thief 3 is a step down from Thief 1 and 2 game design-wise.

Yeah, I mostly blame this on the engine/xbox limitations. No swimming, no rope arrows, levels not nearly as wild as the ones in previous games thanks to the forced small areas, etc. Still, a good time!

I can't imagine playing a game like this on console.

I can upload an ISO of THIEF GOLD if people want it, plus some little instructions on how to get it working today. Everyone needs to play it, even if it's very rough around the edges (though the Gold edition is a bit more polished).
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that would be interesting.

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Thief Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Sajon wrote:
Thief 3 is a step down from Thief 1 and 2 game design-wise.

Yeah, I mostly blame this on the engine/xbox limitations. No swimming, no rope arrows, levels not nearly as wild as the ones in previous games thanks to the forced small areas, etc. Still, a good time!

I can't imagine playing a game like this on console.

I can upload an ISO of THIEF GOLD if people want it, plus some little instructions on how to get it working today. Everyone needs to play it, even if it's very rough around the edges (though the Gold edition is a bit more polished).

I think some of the design problems stem from the Xbox's limitations, but only the minor ones. The real problem with Thief 3's design is the lack of variety of objectives. In Thief 1 and 2 missions typically involved several different objective types, ranging from rescue to ghosting to using a disguise. In Thief 3 every objective is the same: steal X. X changes in every stage, but you never get any of the surprising inversion of existing rules that made Thief 1 and 2 fresh from beginning to end.

There's nothing about the Xbox that would have stopped them from taking the design in more of this direction. The reason they didn't, I've always felt, is because Ion Storm's design philosophy was more A.I. oriented. I think they wanted the variety to come more from emergent behavior of intelligent agents (a la Deus Ex) than mission design. However, from what I've heard and people I've spoken to, I get the impression that many of the more interesting and innovative A.I. features were cut for schedule reasons.

Who knows what might have been. Regardless, I'm just happy that Thief 3 exists... considering that Thief 2 ends with a ridiculous cliff-hanger. Thief 3 brings the character of Garrett full circle in a satisfying way. Also, Thief 3 has a few merits Thief 2 doesn't have. Horror is one of them. Most fans disliked the horror levels in Thief 1, which is why Thief 2 went so heavily steampunk. I've always disagreed with this and felt Thief 1 was superior to Thief 2. Once again, variety is the reason. Thief 2 forced you to be little more than a bank robber, whereas Thief 1 you were everything from a thief, to a spy, to Indiana Jones. The variations on the stealth theme were much more rich in Thief 1, and although Thief 3 doesn't exactly match that variety, it gets refreshingly away from the endless "police and robots" of Thief 2. Thief 3's primary story missions are so steeped in Lovecraftian brain abuse the game virtually qualifies as survival horror. I'm sure everyone remembers The Cradle... or the hag who removes your skin.

These are the real reasons to play Thief 3. Gameplay-wise it's not innovative like the first two, but it's still Thief. And in terms of story and atmosphere it is still utterly memorable.

Yes, it's worth 20 dollars. Razz
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Thief Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:

The iso is easy enough to get, but instructions would go a long way in saving (me) time.

sallyxi

PostPosted: Mon May 26, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like Thief 3 very much,i think it is designed better than the previous ones.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: