The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Baroque - Pearls with unpredictable and random shapes
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordGek

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, even as a big dissenter of the game, Worm is one of the only one who POSTS ANYTHING on this thread. I'd love to just discuss the game with fellow fans or even some neutral folk as well.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to admire Worm's dedication to something he doesn't like, huh.
Worm

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
Seriously. Worm, those snatcher guys are the LEAST of your problems in that game. I swear it really sounds like in ONE of your runs one of those guys stole your main weapon and then it became, THIS GAME IS IMPOSSIBLE AS IT IS FILLED WITH MONSTERS THAT WILL ALWAYS STEAL YOUR MAIN WEAPON. It's not that it would be worth your or anyone's time to play a game you don't enjoy any further but I have issues with these generalizations that I just know came from very limited play.

I like how he calls me out on a generalization but refuses to say I'm mistaken. Those stupid things will always be on certain levels, there will always be a chance of them stealing something important, and they will always bounce away at 1.2x your speed. It's not even a very creative way to fuck with the player. It doesn't make it hard it makes it tedious, being able to tell the difference is called taste.

Quote:
Did you ever play Shire, Worm, they had {... "HE'S GOT THE BIGGEST BALLS OF THEM ALL" ...}eyeball that destroyed your weapon, YOU DID!

It's a matter of a frustrating boring game versus a frustrating interesting game. I've played fucking ADOM, I've played fucking NETHACK, most everyone has. You're not some grizzle upper echelon gamer, you're not HOT SHIT because you have fucking Shiren the Wanderer chops. You just end up sounding like some asshole as you describe a game that sounds about 20 times more interesting than Baroque as a way to defend Baroque.

It just proves that any game that has a dungeon and needlessly punishes you is going to look like a GREAT ROGUELIKE to a bunch of people who just don't and never will get the motherfucking point.

Harveyjames wrote:
You have to admire Worm's dedication to something he doesn't like, huh.

It's more the whiny reaction to every negative review. These reactions go basically like "NOOOOOOOO HE DOES NOT UNDERSTAND ROGUELIKES NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO" when the fact is that the guy understands video games, and if it's not a fun video game (adom, nethack, rogue, etc ACTUALLY FUCKING ARE) it's probably not a good RL.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

everybody could also just drop the subject or ignore each other or take it to the next level and install mondo pita if the tiny amount of self-control it takes not to go hit "submit" is too much for y'all.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jesus christ. Why is it when something like this stays perfectly civil some moron has to waltz in and tell everyone to calm down?

Why don't you go get preggers you want to talk to people like they're babies? Everyone is fucking fine in this thread.

Exit stage left, exit stage right, there is no place to run, all the fuses in the exit signs have been BURNT OUT
getter77

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
Sadly, even as a big dissenter of the game, Worm is one of the only one who POSTS ANYTHING on this thread. I'd love to just discuss the game with fellow fans or even some neutral folk as well.

Drat you Gek, I'll actually find a Wii so I can finally delve into my copy one day!

:flees into the night bawling:
LordGek

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 6:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

getter77 wrote:
LordGek wrote:

Drat you Gek, I'll actually find a Wii so I can finally delve into my copy one day!

:flees into the night bawling:

Uh oh, Worm might hear that you playing it and come to your home to slap you!

After the initial Honeymoon glow has worn away, I'll admit the game had problems BUT I still like it, play it, and am glad I purchased it. It's the closest you'll find to Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer like gameplay on the Wii, but if that game annoyed you so will this one (and visa versa).
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Jesus christ. Why is it when something like this stays perfectly civil some moron has to waltz in and tell everyone to calm down?

Quote:
It is weird and hopes that weirdness is enough to motivate the common idiot to plumb for peanuts and corn kernels in this massive septic tank.

Quote:
It's a game that relies on anyone who talks about it being completely full of shit.

Quote:
Did you work on this game? The way you take a simple thing that someone will encounter a little while into the game and get sick of, and try to weave it into this genius not previously known to roguelikes is really sickening.

i'm here to offer non-coercive conflict resolution options with low and no-cost barriers to entry. it's what i do. not everyone has this quaint notion of self-control - see "internet, the" for further details - so tools like mondo pita allow people to shape and filter incoming information without too much of an impact on their emotional fragility.

you may be presuming a bit too much about for whom the tool was offered, of course. i recognize that we come from different generational cohorts, in that our definitions of "civility" are severely mismatched, but such is the way things roll.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This filtering thing worrys me. I wonder if dhex will ever see this post, or am I just a distant memory to him?
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd buy this game but it's not out here and it will probably be over-priced when it does Sad

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
i'm here to offer non-coercive conflict resolution options with low and no-cost barriers to entry. it's what i do. not everyone has this quaint notion of self-control - see "internet, the" for further details - so tools like mondo pita allow people to shape and filter incoming information without too much of an impact on their emotional fragility.

you may be presuming a bit too much about for whom the tool was offered, of course. i recognize that we come from different generational cohorts, in that our definitions of "civility" are severely mismatched, but such is the way things roll.

You're here to make everyone as boring as you are because your bitter that you haven't farted out a half original thought in a decade. It's not my fault that the entire subtext of people liking Baroque (even thought it's pretty crappy) is ripe for critique.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

again, due to this generational gap, what you call "critique" is what we call "being pointlessly hostile."

but that's apparently your thing. the great thing about filters is that everyone can do what they want - you can yell at people, and they can ignore it. win-win.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: