The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What's this? A Doctor Who thread?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aderack

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A couple of years ago it wasn't a joke. People's pattern sensors were tripped big-time by the repeated presence of the moon in the night sky.

Which pretty much speaks for itself, I guess.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The moon is man's oldest enemy.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
aderack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://bp3.blogger.com/_KTJWhtuRLac/SAYwVQTKa8I/AAAAAAAACIk/gQEffpf6yFU/s1600-h/tom-baker.jpg
http://bp1.blogger.com/_KTJWhtuRLac/SAYwUwTKa5I/AAAAAAAACIM/r4VZyyzVMRM/s1600-h/peter-davison.jpg
http://bp2.blogger.com/_KTJWhtuRLac/SAYwVATKa6I/AAAAAAAACIU/erF9CJvMGNA/s1600-h/colin-baker.jpg

Apparently each of the wave 1 "classic" figures comes with a part of this:

http://bp2.blogger.com/_KTJWhtuRLac/SAYwVATKa7I/AAAAAAAACIc/A7m72dZ7Uqo/s1600-h/robot.jpg

Collect 'em all, and snap 'im together.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:

AAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH
aderack

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
AAAUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGHHHHHHHH

the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is from the UK gossip mailing list Popbitch.

'A former drama student tells of the time
she slept with Tom Baker, who had visited the
college to give a lecture. She recalled his
memorable quote at the moment of intercourse:
"Tom's putting it in now..." '

aderack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Presumably he was wearing the fedora?

Also.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 7:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wrote something out here.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commented!
aderack

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you did.

Man, that Catherine Tate. Isn't she just the most abrasive thing.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tennant's had a haircut! Shorter on the sides, more angular and pointy at the front.

New episode's pretty good! Continues the trend. More "bees dying" business, as well. I certainly hope they don't keep bringing that up every week. Haven't we seen the actress playing the PR lady before? She looks familiar.
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iori hair.

That didn't progress the way I thought it did, and it was better than I was expecting. Yet another Hartnellish episode. Curious. (With another reference to match.) What should have been sappy, toward the end, was actually rather touching. All in all, a very gentle episode. The bit about the handheld brain was a bit... different. Imaginative, anyway. Donna's responses to things continue to be rather brilliant.

The claw scene was kind of gratuitous. Well-done, though. Except for that OTT malevolent guard.

Some really unusual plonky music here. Interesting difference. Probably should have been something else for the Oodsong, though. Something more alien, more intangible, yet still beautiful.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Your song must end soon." Interesting. Wonder exactly what it's referring to. There seems to be quite a bit of stuff like that floating around, lately. Almost too much to keep track of!
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know who the PR gal looks like. Remember that icy woman on the Game Station, at the end of series one, who the fellow in the tie had the hots for?

And yeah, it's interesting how the Doctor's series one "Time Lordy" song comes up when the Ood says that.

Just to mention, produced by Susie Liggat (of Human Nature/Family of Blood) again.

Also! Some real scope to the locations. Rusty old long shots. So far this series is feeling like it's taking place in a bigger universe. Even with familiar settings -- your quarries, indusrial parks, corridors -- there's not such a cramped atmosphere as usual.

OH! This is one of only a few episodes since Tennant took over where I can easily imagine Eccleston in his place. Think of Eccleston's slow-burning indignation. Thematically, it feels a lot like what was going on in series one, that hasn't been so much since.

One more thing to note is that we've now got both the new guys (Moran and Temple) out of the way -- and they've both pretty much proved themselves! Better than most outside the Davies/Moffat/Cornell circle. (That would be Gatiss, Shearman, Whithouse, MacRae, Jones, Graham, Roberts, Raynor, Greenhorn, and Chibnall -- of which only Shearman and Greenhorn stand out. And Roberts, I guess.) Everyone else from here on is familiar. In Raynor's case, that's... not such a good thing. We'll see, though. I'm really curious what Greenhorn will do. And Roberts should be breezy and inoffensive.

Beyond that, it's all Russel T Moffat.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear, people in the SA Who thread are arguing about regenerations now. And getting rather screamy! I'm very happy that there's a nice and informative, yet calm and low-key place to discuss Who these days. Thanks, guys.
aderack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next week: Tate or Tater?

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
Next week: Tate or Tater?

They really do look like lumpy, angry potatoes, don't they.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 6:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, I finally got to watch the first two episodes of the season. Are there really only two episodes released so far?

Anyways, I liked the first episode Partners in Time quite a bit. It reminded me of the first episode of the new series with the mannequins: campy, funny, a quite ridiculous. The Fires of Pompeii wasn't quite as good. I am starting to not really like the dynamic between Donna and the Doctor, and honestly I didn't like her in Runaway Bride either. I don't know why exactly, but the writing seems a bit more lazy this season than the past three. Series 4's "Bad Wolf" is becoming quite obvious very early on, and I had previously liked how all the seasons tied together without being overly obvious about it (at least not so early on). The "lost planet" connection makes this all feel a bit like the Pirate Planet from the Key of Time season (the episode written by Douglas Adams).

I hope this changes honestly.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
baron patsy

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
So, I finally got to watch the first two episodes of the season. Are there really only two episodes released so far?

Anyways, I liked the first episode Partners in Time quite a bit. It reminded me of the first episode of the new series with the mannequins: campy, funny, a quite ridiculous. The Fires of Pompeii wasn't quite as good. I am starting to not really like the dynamic between Donna and the Doctor, and honestly I didn't like her in Runaway Bride either. I don't know why exactly, but the writing seems a bit more lazy this season than the past three. Series 4's "Bad Wolf" is becoming quite obvious very early on, and I had previously liked how all the seasons tied together without being overly obvious about it (at least not so early on). The "lost planet" connection makes this all feel a bit like the Pirate Planet from the Key of Time season (the episode written by Douglas Adams).

I hope this changes honestly.

Three episodes, actually.

I'd be interested to hear more on what you think re: the writing. I find that surprising, everyone I've talked to has been rather positive about the episodes released so far, and I think that we're off to a better start than we have been in the past two seasons. I see a large difference in Donna's behavior as compared to the Runaway Bride, as well!
aderack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, there's enough weird stuff going on in the first three episodes (especially the first) that I find it a little hard to peg what it all adds up to -- or even what's relevant.

As often happens with Davies' episodes, I am liking Partners in Crime more and more as time goes on, as it mulches in the back of my head -- and I liked it well enough to start. There's just so much little stuff, as Westacular pointed out somewhere or other.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the third one? I need to look for it.
baron patsy wrote:
I'd be interested to hear more on what you think re: the writing. I find that surprising, everyone I've talked to has been rather positive about the episodes released so far, and I think that we're off to a better start than we have been in the past two seasons. I see a large difference in Donna's behavior as compared to the Runaway Bride, as well!

Well, see, It started off well (and I actually think that all the seasons outside of two started really strongly) but the second episode was very disheartening for me. While I do see a difference between her now and in Runaway Bride, I almost think she would have been better as the dumber more ignorant redhead in RB. She starts out demanding many things on their first real adventure in episode two. They include things that even she should understand why you don't mess with them. Against the Doctors advice she does these dumb things anyways. BUT! not because she is more ignorant, no, it's because now she has some kind of moral agenda towards it.

I also really liked Martha, and thought that her dynamic was a great change of pace after Rose got unexplainably stupid in series two. Donna doesn't even come with interesting side character baggage (i.e. a boyfriend) like Rose did.

The "Spartacus" joke seems like it's going to get overplayed because they already previewed for a similar moment later in the series. Things like that make me a bit uneasy too.
aderack wrote:
Actually, there's enough weird stuff going on in the first three episodes (especially the first) that I find it a little hard to peg what it all adds up to -- or even what's relevant.

Not that I feel like I know what the "lost planet" thing is going to add up to, but I know it will add up to something. That will always either lead to a let down, or a let down. I liked that the series had previously pulled the rug out from under you when making the connection on these things like Bad Wolf, here it just feels lazy or even gratuitous as though playing on the drooling fans to keep coming back with the carrot of a big reveal. I can't put my finger on exactly how I feel, but I don't like it. No sir, not one bit.

EDIT: With all these negative comments don't think that I dislike the episodes. I just don't feel like things are starting out well for long-running/overarching narrative issues. I'm willing to hold out hope that I change my opinion about Donna, because I know that it's always possible, and it's a bit to early to tell. Things just feel weaker than they did in series 3.

aderack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's "Planet of the Ood". It features the Ood.

This is next week, and the week after: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hBH37FtF3aU Hey, Wilf!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Delta and the Bannermen is coming up, apparently. So no s24 box. Not up-front, anyway.

Still, Delta and the Bannermen! Probably my third-favorite of the unreleased McCoys.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baron patsy wrote:
They really do look like lumpy, angry potatoes, don't they.

British people? Yeah.
Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, excellent. I really liked Delta and the Bannermen. Good campy fun.

aderack

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, here, apparently, is the rest of the UK year, with some other stuff that's right around the corner (as these things go). Bold stuff is new.

May: The Invasion of Time / Bred for War set
June: K-9 Tales set (Invisible Enemy / K-9 and Company)
July: The Brain of Morbius
August: The Trial of a Time Lord set
September: Four to Doomsday
October: The War Machines
November: Battlefield

Upcoming: The War Games, E-Space set, Black Guardian set, Delta and the Bannermen

Of course, region 1 is another story...
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm looking forward to War Games as well.

Anyways, Planet of the Ood was better than the last episode. I still don't like Donna though.

aderack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, that was pretty solid! The first actually-good Sontaran story yet! So far. The first to use them properly, anyway. (Experiment is genial enough.) Interesting use of the narrative space, with the story splitting and swapping and rejoining with the characters.

Some decent directorial choices, too, like the tracking down the hallway with the soldiers.

So far every episode this year has been better than I expected. And assuming the story ends as well as it begins, we're basically through the danger zone! That is, as far as I'm concerned. Then things really become interesting.

Also by a large yard the best early-season two-parter. Aliens of London was okay, especially the human stuff. Actually, it had a lot of great stuff in it. This is so much more developed and confident, though.

Good job, Ms. Raynor! Took you a while, but you're pulling through!

Not as interesting as the first three stories, yet. Still, not bad!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I guess I need some help here. What nights are new Who nights? I always feel like I'm missing something, or a bit behind.

baron patsy

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shapermc wrote:
Ok, so I guess I need some help here. What nights are new Who nights? I always feel like I'm missing something, or a bit behind.

It airs in Britain at about 4:30 (can't remember the exact time) on Saturdays.

It might just be me, but it seems like this series feels more like the classic series than the last three did.

I was amused at the Doctor's playfulness in this episode, as well. Quite a bit of amusing banter. I liked the transporter scene.

Edit: thebox.bz always has the new episode up remarkably quickly, and it's fast as hell.
aderack

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

baron patsy wrote:
It might just be me, but it seems like this series feels more like the classic series than the last three did.

Yeah. Aside from Partners in Crime, which is RTD in a bottle with a big sparkly bow on it.

It's actually airing at ~6:30 GMT on Saturdays. Subtract as you will. PST is -8:00. The time changes week to week, for some reason. 6:15 one day, 6:40 another. People were going mad a few weeks ago, convinced the earlier time slot spelled doom for the show because nobody would watch a show made for 7:00 at 6:30! And, well. The first two episodes got some of the highest ratings ever; almost as high as the first two Christmas specials. Dum dee dum.

They really did a New Series Dalek on the Sontarans. They've done everything right, really, in handling them. The muscle suits are a bit weird, of course. Otherwise, though -- the prosthetics and performance and characterization and narrative and thematic use and redesigned technology -- everything else, gee whiz. They put some work into making them work. Still a bit silly, yet now also possible to take seriously on a couple of levels.

Yeah, this episode has a lot of space to it. And so many neat little references. The UNIT dating joke. The Time War business, which fits in with The Invasion of Time. And hey, it's a real UNIT story! I know they kept saying it was going to be, yet it is! It's not just another Christmas Invasion or whatever. And the Doctor technically still works for them.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted this here.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On the quote in the comments section of that entry, Catherine Tate told the story of not realising there were people in the sontaran suits on Jonathan Ross a couple of weeks ago. Her and Tennant were on promoting the new series. I would have posted this in the comments but I'm not a livejournal user.
aderack

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that sounds right. Doesn't do much to explain the context, though! I'd have to see and hear her delivery, what it was in response to, and know what else was going on. It's such a bizarre thing to say that I have trouble believing she was altogether serious.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qB3WgyAqDbE

There it is. I'll watch it later.

Actually, watching now. The whole interview is kind of stilted, with Tennant and Tate trying not to roll their eyes at his questions. Looks like she was reasonably serious, though. Looks like some minor thing that made Tennant crack up at the time, and he's not letting her live it down.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, so I'll be watching the 4th episode tomorrow with my wife. Until then, contemplate this: is there going to be a big cross promotion between Doctor Who and The Happening?

Watch the trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-BRZ0u01KwQ

It would take someone like M. Night Shx.... whatever to pull a hoax in a film like a Doctor Who movie.

PS: In case you're confused there's been two references to "missing bees" in Series 4 and I couldn't remember for the life of me where I'd heard it before and it just came to me from the trailer.

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wager that M Night Shamalamadingdong and the writers of Dr Who have probably just been watching the same news, i.e. The News.

http://www.the-environmentalist.org/2007/08/its-official-honeybees-are-gone.html
aderack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. A page or so back, Wes was boggling that Davies chose to incorporate Colony Collapse Disorder.

K-9 Tales article up: http://www.purpleville.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/rtwebsite/K9tales.htm
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, so like, E04 was really good! I greatly enjoyed it and is much better than the last two episodes.

aderack

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's certainly the most solid episode of the series so far. I like the ideas in the previous two, and they had some excellent moments and elements, yet this hung together a lot better and generally seemed more well-planned. The peaks aren't as high, yet it's a very high horizontal.

Actually, this whole series has been probably the steadiest since 2005. We've even hit the early two-parter without a hiccup! I'm pretty excited, as I was apprehensive about everything before episode 6, and it looks like it's all going to gel.

I really think the Pompeii episode should have been a two-parter, with maybe the eruption as a cliffhanger. In retrospect, there was maybe too much stuff in there -- which is weird, considering that it seemed to play out at a snail's pace at times. That maybe makes sense when you consider Lord of the Rings. Theatrical cuts: slow. Extended editions: pacy! Even though they're each at least half an hour longer.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I (now) completely agree with you after watching ep4. Strangely enough I've been watching Series 1 over again and there are two things that stick out to me that have been missing lately. First is that the doctor use to be much--much more caring and equal between humans and all other aliens. That being gone is mostly put up to the fact that this is a different doctor.

Second thing that I noticed was the TARDIS use to much more mystical. Or more accurately it was a larger focus visually and auditory. The ship use to fade in and fade out in long dramatic segments where the audio played an important role. The sound of the tardis off screen was used much more importantly and dramatically. This has all disappeared I was thinking. Then after watching the doctor teaching donna to fly the tardis I'm hoping they bring a bit of that back.

aderack

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/showbiz/tv/article824000.ece
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Barrowman is so disgusting.
aderack

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peru, eh.

That was pretty good! There should have been more roasted birds at the end, though.

I like the way the stories are becoming directly linked.

Also, interesting to bring the Valiant back -- such an odd creative decision at the time, sort of redeemed by its surprise value (largely from one's tendency to put it out of one's head).

And yeah, there's the snippet during the transmission...

I'm impressed. This story worked really well. Did Ross actually die, though, or did he play possum? I assumed the latter, yet I didn't see him again after he fell.

PostPosted: Sat May 03, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and that shot where Donna picks up the console-mashing mallet!

PostPosted: Sun May 04, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never agree with more than half of what Lawrence Miles says, but check this out. And think about it a little as you go along.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, this is rather nice.

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some discussion on Roobarb's:

Reliable Party wrote:
"RTD and co" only have 3 more episodes to write & film before they leave ahead of series 5, so in reality you don't have long to wait before the "new team" come in and make their mark. Which they are determined to do, indeed the commissioning of writers started back in January.

Familiar Party of Unknown Reliability wrote:
I did actually hear from a mate at the BBC today (who has always been 100% reliable with snippets of info) that Moffat is definitely locked as showrunner for series 5 and RTD is out the door.

Reliable Party wrote:
That is correct, and has been for a few months now. Piers Wenger has been working on Series 5 since January.

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://gicobra.com/images/movie/DESTRO-205_F.jpg

Good grief. Destro is dressed the way a lot of people probably think the Ninth Doctor should have been.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean, like a RIGHT PONCE

?

Also, holy shit there is a GI Joe movie now?

Also, ; _ ;
aderack

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What are you, James Marsters now?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 14 of 19

Jump to: