The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

man, harvey james, you like miss management.

i thought you would be glad over me liking a gamelab game.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 13, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finished Crisis Core today. I was buffeted along by my perverse interest in seeing just how bad each successive cutscene and story revelation could be. It's definitely one of the worst video game stories I've seen in a long time, if only because it somehow manages to take a story that I already sorta kinda knew and make it less comprehensible overall.

There is a moment when it is revealed that Zack's greasy black hair is the only way to prevent the villain (who is not Sephiroth) from "degenerating." We then see one of the cronies of said villain eat his hair and transform into a giant Tetsuya Nomura zipper beast, which you have to fight by pressing the X button a bunch. This plot development is never mentioned again - it's only there to make sure that a wacky boss monster can appear at that very moment, as far as I can tell.

Last edited by JasonMoses on Mon Apr 14, 2008 12:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey guys, so I'm still playing Wow (and, incidentally, Shiren and Crisis Core while in bed). I have a crew now consisting of my wife, her sister, Matt!, and Matt's wife. It's fun! I need to come up with a guild name now that we're all playing together though. Any suggestions? I suggested The Crude Bastard Swordsmen and The Zombie's Quarter (since 4/5th of us are undead).

Also, I got the Genesis Collection thingy for PSP this weekend and it's really, really good. For $15 (at Target) you get like 90% of the worthwhile games ever released on the Genesis with trivia, video interviews, and unlockable arcade games, customizable display options and wireless multiplayer. All the genesis Phantasy Stars, all 3 Golden Axes, Sonic 1 and 2, Shadow Dancer, Shinobi 3.

-Wes
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait so after all of shape's horror stories of family friends who went native and grew giant beards and lost their homes, he's playing wow now too?

sheesh.

for some reason last night i started up steam and had it re-download both bioshock and vtm: bloodlines. i think i'm ok with rpgs for the time being.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
wait so after all of shape's horror stories of family friends who went native and grew giant beards and lost their homes, he's playing wow now too?

Weird I know. I also have a beard now too. Anyways, here's a quote from something I wrote lastnight.

"So in these moments of slight grief I turn to something I never in my wildest dreams imagined I'd say, World of Warcraft with friends now distant from me. I leave you with the best picture in my collection of my wife and I playing together:"

Innecro_Omar

FYI: I feel that after a month stint with Tabula Rasa that I can reasonably handle myself and addiction. I'm pretty sure I'm OK here. Except for the beard.

dhex wrote:
for some reason last night i started up steam and had it re-download vtm: bloodlines.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/?p=1502

Also, I wouldn't consider either of those to be RPGs. Not really anyways.

"There is no place in this enterprise for a rogue physicist!"
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

right, that's what i meant. i.e. nwn2 pissed me all the way the hell off.

anyway, why the living hell are you playing wow? i used to laugh at all the "so he broke off all contact and is totally lame and stopped bathing" stories and you'd be all "hey, that's not funny!"

so like, what?
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
anyway, why the living hell are you playing wow? i used to laugh at all the "so he broke off all contact and is totally lame and stopped bathing" stories and you'd be all "hey, that's not funny!"

so like, what?

You can still make fun of those people all you want. I also smoke, and living back in Chicago I'm pretty much a leper anyways. It's not like I'm addicted to it, or that I can't admit that I am. I haven't even been playing for a month. I play with my wife and some friends. It's better than a phone!

I don't really know. I mean, shit. It's not really bad. There is some really great world building going on in the game. Also, like, there is quite a bit of depth to the game anyways. I love good world building in games.

If you want hit me up in a few months and make fun of me if I'm still playing it. I'll be ok with it then.

dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i don't want to make fun of you; it's just that you, of all people, showed me the tragic side of this which (temporarily) overwhelmed my "their lives must have sucked terribly to begin with" impulse when it comes to "this game/cult/political movement made person xyz suck" type scenarios.

so i am perplexed. and confused!
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as I was telling Ryan, I've been getting back into PC gaming for the first time in about 5 years, and since then MMOs have become a major staple in PC gaming. I don't feel like I can rightly ignore them and have a good understanding of "gaming" in general. In an attempt to figure out what is good about them I picked up the game that seemed the most connected with my style of play which was an MMO: Tabula Rasa. I played it about 15 times over two months (most sessions were two hours or less) and was left disenchanted. So, to further research what people enjoy about the current MMOs I downloaded and started WoW on the same day which I canceled my TR account. This was only about two weeks ago, around March 24th. So it's not like I'm coming out of the dark after months of playing these.

I have this entry ready for my blog where I chronicle my TR experience but it's quite long and I'd need to go in and prune some of the more boring parts out of it. So I haven't finished it up. I basically slowed down on most PC games after NWN. So, like, yeah. I don't know.

Be afraid for me dhex...

Redeye

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
... nwn2 pissed me all the way the hell off.

You were warned.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

God, Keiron is so over-dramatic, I can never read his stupid articles further than three sentences.

Bloodlines is also not nearly as good as I remember it. I re-played it a few months back and realised how much of the game is ill-designed and uninteresting. The best parts are the hubs when you just talk to people because the writing is great, but most of the missions are just awful.

I also gave up on MASTERS OF DOOM. It's just too horribly written, and there is nothing in here of interest that I didn't know already. Plus it feels like it was written for people who don't know what a videogame is, and explaing the most basic things like I don't even know what a computer is. Like a crappy Time magazine article about Halo or something. Gah.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really liked what I played of bloodlines. I got to a point in the game where I couldn't find the next thing to do no matter what I did. I spent hours looking for it and going back and completing everything else. There are parts of the game and the writing that are done much better than many "better rated" games, but it is quite buggy even with that fan patch.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I never had encountered any serious bugs on my first play-through a couple years back. The second time a side-quest bugged it which made it impossible to complete, but it was just a side-quest so I didn't see it as a huge deal. For some reason, I hardly ever have major problems with games that everyone complains are buggy as all heck.

Except Boiling Point. I got attacked by flying tigers one too many times.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 14, 2008 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never had too many bugs with Bloodlines, and this is coming from someone who completed it twice before applying the fanpatch.

Actually mods really make the game dramatically buggier, in my experience. The fan patch does really lend a lot to the game's stability though.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it turns out Gears of War isn't as worthless when played co-op. I'd go as far to say it's the only way to play the game. The lag got a bit annoying at times, though... and many of my original complaints with the game remain the same. There really are lots of silly design choices here.
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know, I liked Gears both times, though local multiplayer is the way to go. It's really over the top in a Die Hard-esque kind of way and a lot of the strange design choices were made to highlight this. I enjoy some really awesome action sometimes, even with some flaws in it.

Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The strange design choices I'm talking about do anything but highlight over the top action, they're just annoyances that hold it back! Really, I still have huge problems with the game and think it's very over-rated, but it was lots of fun playing with the Bleakster this evening.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:

so i am perplexed. and confused!

Me too. That game turns people into self-hating, level-70-stat-posting, last-night's-raid-discussing dropouts. And while I'm not part of the TGQ inner circle, it's still fucking alienating to have you and SuperWes suddenly drop out of the discourse that brought me into this study-of-games fold in the first place.

I played a bit of Burnout Paradise today. I like that the open structure makes me pay more attention to my surroundings more than I would in a standard racing game. Nothing mindblowing though. I'm not sure if I should spend more time with it or send it back and spend an hour with the next inevitable disappointment before sending that back.

The majority of games are making me depressed about the medium as a whole. I'm listening to lots of music instead and reading! That's good stuff. I'm also wasting a bunch of time on the internet! That's not.
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
So it turns out Gears of War isn't as worthless when played co-op. I'd go as far to say it's the only way to play the game. The lag got a bit annoying at times, though... and many of my original complaints with the game remain the same. There really are lots of silly design choices here.

I played this at a friends apartment through local co-op. We had a good time, generic character/enemy models notwithstanding.

The thing I find odd about this game is how convoluted they managed to make what should have been an incredibly straightforward plot.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually started a new playthrough of bloodlines last night. it's amazing how much better their voice acting is than so many other AAA titles.

boiling point was so fucked, which is too bad because the promise was there. but i will check out white gold.

i never got past the kill you in one shot guy in the pc version of gears of war. i don't think i'll be going back.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I came back from work (James has a job?!?!?!) to find my dad had been playing through Super Mario Galaxy all day. By 8pm, he had 4 stars!

Things that my dad got hopelessly stuck on:

-Baby Dino-Piranha.
-all the bits where you have to fly from one flower to another.
-the bit where you're standing on a big hollow star and you need to use pull stars to get to the gold star in the middle. To him this was a conundrum of a fiendishness akin to the Enigma Code!
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I maintain that your dad is the most endearing part of this forum.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah he's a lot easier to get along with now we've got this dynamic where I go out and earn the dough and he stays home and makes house. It's a step up from the months between this job and when I last got fired!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Apr 15, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
man, harvey james, you like miss management.

i thought you would be glad over me liking a gamelab game.

Sure, but Miss Management is so much better than this it's crazy. If anything it just makes me doubt your judgement!
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow, jojos dress up game? are you serious? harveyjames we should blacklist dess for a week for this
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah you should be making her write YOU letters about how she's a bad girl, seriously

posting from work eye tee tee
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 3:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

good idea hold on im going to email her now

harveyjames phoenix wright three NEVER ENDS
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never played a Pheonix Wright game! Nintendo DS emulation needs to hurry its ass up
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you never played jojo's fashion show either! you're judging it entirely by the art and theme. (and admittedly if i had judged it by the art and theme i never would have played it.)

it's actually a game, unlike miss management, which has character and cuteness but little else. miss management is boring and involves no skill!
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What! I played it, look:

The game is crappy, it doesn't let me say an outfit's finished until I've given them trousers or a skirt. What kind of shit is that? That's like saying a game isn't finished until it's got a robot ninja in it. Which I do say, and that's just one of the reasons why Jojo's Fashion Show gets two thumbs down.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

that's not a terrible outfit. but chucks go with everything.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chucks and no trousers. Style never goes out of fashion. baby!
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

it's actually a game, unlike miss management, which has character and cuteness but little else. miss management is boring and involves no skill!

are you saying that you have color-coordinating skills?

honestly i dont know how you could do well in a fashion-based game, are you cheating? are you using a gameshark for JOJOS BIZARRE DRESSVENTURE im onto you

area ll your characters wearing all black
sediment

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well,

so far jojo's is cute, but it's basically colour-matching with a timer. it's like playing columns with clothes, except things don't seem to amp up as much.

(but i'm playing the demo).

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh you clowns will all play Jojo, sure! I had more luck trying to juggle soot than I did getting people to play Miss Management!
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

people dont trust your snobby opinion because you dont like sam and max harvey james
youre such a snob
snobby snob british snob
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dess you should express your thoughts on this fashion game on your blog!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

harvey, you were trying to get people to play miss management when i was in freaking maryland. i'll try it. Razz

Shapermc
Hot Sake!
Hot Sake!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
And while I'm not part of the TGQ inner circle, it's still fucking alienating to have you and SuperWes suddenly drop out of the discourse that brought me into this study-of-games fold in the first place.

Whoah there man. I'm actually posing more now than I use to. I was just between houses. Just because I play some WoW doesn't mean I don't touch anything else.

Lately I've also been playing quite a bit of Rock Band (which is an excellent game), Ninja Gaiden: Dragon Sword (good, but not great. negative points for cheesy DS abbv. there's also tons of the same enemy, which gets tiring), Audio-Surf (still), N+ (brick wall), Ikaruga (same as it ever was), Sherlock Holmes: The Awakened (an adventure game?), and WoW (which is possibly the greatest co-op game to play with a spouse who likes Gauntlet-esqe games, and has some really spectacular world building).

The reason I've been less present lately is because I've been moving (for the last 5 months, seriously).

Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
people dont trust your snobby opinion because you dont like sam and max harvey james
youre such a snob
snobby snob british snob

Yeah it's true, my tastes do tend to run towards the elitist. Like for example that Super Mario Galaxy I keep going on about. Who has even played that game besides me! Also that hardcore shoot 'em up MISS MANAGEMENT which I believe you can only even buy if you go down Akibara high street at 3pm on a wednesday.

Sam and Max is not funny, and yet desperately tries at every turn, hence I don't like it. CHALK THAT UP TO THE BRITISH SENSE OF HUMOUR, I GUESS
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

its weird that you dont think its funny, since ican appreciate british humor and still think sam and max is funny

actually its not weird, since you instantly over-simplified it, which is ridiculous, especially since you're someone who plays videogames and you can oversimpify ANY game and make it look stupid

i think your arguement against it was just bad is all, and made you come off as a snob, much like the time you FREAKED OUT when i posted a panel of transmetropolitan on my livejournal and you got rightly trolled by dracko!

-------

oh man i am on episode four of the first season now and it really sucks that they made the first episode SO HORRIBLE compared tot he rest, like i feel dirty for ever playing through ep1 now
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think NOT FUNNY is a pretty good argument against something which is meant to be funny. Also applies to Transmetropolitan which looked like a big bag of shite, too. You're just letting them off easy because they're games/comic books. If the same dialogue was in a film you wouldn't stand for it, you would say 'THIS DIALOGUE IS SHITTY'. You obviously hold the mediums of games and comics in quite low regard , huh!

Anyway stop bothering me I'm at work, GOD

P.S. <3
kirkjerk

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Yeah it's true, my tastes do tend to run towards the elitist. Like for example that Super Mario Galaxy I keep going on about. Who has even played that game besides me!

Well, your dad, but he's not very good at it by all accounts.
Quote:
Also that hardcore shoot 'em up MISS MANAGEMENT which I believe you can only even buy if you go down Akibara high street at 3pm on a wednesday.

Shit, I was just there! If you had told me I could have picked it up for people.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the crazy world of sarcasm!
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey harveyjames im watching the goodies, remember them
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i dont care that you dont htink its funny i just think you're stupid for not thinking its funny with your high and mighty sense of humor

and of course i hold comics and videogames to low standards THEY ARE FOR NERDS

<3 harvey
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My sense of humour isn't high and mighty, I think Youtube Poop is funny! LINK WE MUST FUCK SPAGHETTI. GREAT, I'LL GET MY STUFF!

Look maybe I just looked at the wrong Sam and Max episode. I've always liked the characters, and thought the original game was funny. Maybe the writers are different! I dunno! It was like the difference between an old episode of the simpsons with Lionel Hutz and Nick Riviera and a new one with ; _ ; and D:
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

did you play the first episode? because that one sucks

harveyjames i am just yelling at you to yell at you ok
sediment

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I HATE IT WHEN MY MOMMY AND DADDY FIGHT

Lestrade
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have finally convinced my wife to quite WoW for a few months, because it's been ruining our lives. I wish I was kidding; stay away from it like the plague. It's a fucking abomination.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 65, 66, 67 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 66 of 85

Jump to: