The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Broad and Ever-Reaching DOS Gamers Haven
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: The Broad and Ever-Reaching DOS Gamers Haven Reply with quote

This thread is nothing but hot uncensored MSDOS action. Yummy! I have a bunch of old magazine coverdiscs which I'll go through and spend, like, ten minutes on each demo and write about my experiences. I'll skip past all the first person shooters since we have that well covered. Feel free to join me in my fun with nostalgic ramblings of your own, for all of the chillen.

I am starting with PCplayer #2. It boasts "Australia's Best Value 100% PC CD-ROM entertainment Package!" and promises "Over 600 megabytes of RAW adrenalin". FUNDERRIFIC! At a glance it's contents include Lemmings 3D, FX Fighter, Dungeon master II and The Need For Speed among others.This isn't the slightest bit jive unless my turkey detector is off. Oh the hours of fun we are going to have my poles and holes.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anticipation ++++

Just don't make fun of PCPowerPlay.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Cycle, you know I am hip to those cats.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking about picking up an older laptop for playing older games earlier today. I'm not sure how well pre Pentiums would run these days, but they would definitely save me some space. I can never get DOSBox running as well as I'd like, so I figure just getting a system would be a good route. I bought a few ports to consoles just to be able to play them without such hassles, but they tend to be inferior.

But, yeah, I've been wanting to go through my older games lately. I've also been playing with some IE Magazine releases, checking out old reviews (TIE Fighter: Defender of the Empire) and interviews/beta news (Daggerfall). I still have a decent collection of DOS-based games and I'd really like to go through them again.

I would really like to go through the Wing Commander titles, but the $100+ the Saga goes for is a wee bit too much. I remember playing through the first on the SNES while I was exiled to my brother's room while some foster children took post in my old room. Good memories with that one.

I think I'll go through some demo discs as well. Old PCGamers, ahoy!
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something to keep in mind; I am running these demos in DOSBox so if they won't run after the third or so time I will have to rely on my very selective memory.

Pinball Dreams
Not a terribly good pinball game considering that EPIC Pinball is on the same disc. The table is a bit boring and the scrolling is terrible, it looks smooth but the ball flickers up and down. Best to stick with other games of this type.

EPIC Pinball
This is the mack daddy of PC pinball games and the first demo that didn't fucking work. Oh well, the table was pretty sweet and the music was great. It's EPIC MEGAGAMES, they could do a game about killing dogs and fucking babies and you'd still love it, they couldn't do anything wrong.

Quarantine
First person taxi games in the future totally aren't first person shooters even though there are shooters on the cars. Who was fifteen and didn't want Quarantine back in the day, you ran people over and the windscreen wipers would wipe the blood off. Ok, it didn't work in DOSBox but I think I can remember enough of it to provide accurate impressions. Um, you drove around and ran over people and you shot at other cars and that's pretty much it. Maybe there were radioactive pterodactyls (it's the future, of course they are radioactive) or maybe it was just the really brown sky texture. The important thing is that you ran people over and they died. NEXT GAME PLEASE.

Jazz Jackrabbit
It was totally the "Sonic for PC" of the day only you run around collecting floppies and Gravis gamepads long before Shadow (the Hedgehog) would carry shooters and collect the tears of children which he would drink deep the sweet nectar ambrosia. Fast paced gameplay, colourful graphics that look better than I remember (and I had a Pentium!) and more words I can add to the spell checker in Firefox. Another feather in EPIC MEGAGAMES' cap.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wanted to play Quarantine, I might take a stab at running it on DOSbox. It looked so cool! You ran people over and shoot stuff!

EPIC Pinball was the shiznit. The Android table in the demo was superb. I almost played it for the music alone. I always thought it was cool that if you keep going through the help screens, it will start to ask what you're looking for and tell you to leave until it gives you a cheat code. RADTASTIC.

Jazz Jackrabbit was also the shit, combing Sonic with the guns of PC FPS games. Plus the bonus levels were rad. The sequel was not too shabby, but was horribly dated when it was released. I played the beta for Jazz Jackrabbit 3D (which used the Unreal engine) which was actually pretty rad. Shame it never got made.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fade to Black
Forget not working, this wouldn't even install. No big loss anyway, it was less fun than Shaq-Fu. At least you could enjoy that in an 'intentionally bad film' manner. Man, just go play Flashback instead, you'll enjoy that one.

Fatal Racing
I remember this not running more than five frames a second on my bitchin' fast Pentium 100 so it was nice to actually be able to play it at a multiple of five frames a second. This totally looked the shit but even back then I couldn't work out the camera controls so I was stuck looking at my car's green arse just like tonight. It's a pretty square arse while we're on it. Still plays ok but that's only ok and times have changed, Screamer came out and this went into the pile of racing games you don't need to give two shits about.

Magic Carpet 2
Fuck, it was never this fast. Slower than Fatal Racing even, but this is like playing Grand Theft Auto with the frame limiter off. TECHNOLOGY! Some people like Magic Carpet, I was never one of those people. I would have liked to, it was interesting enough but it didn't click with me at all. I felt this way about Dungeon Keeper which is also by Bullfrog. At least there's always Syndicate, maybe I just like setting rubes on fire and watching them burn.

Tower Assault
A port of that Amiga game, the one that was like Alien Syndrome. Just another game heavily inspired by Aliens and is only best enjoyed as a distraction whilst you install Aliens vs. Predator 2 which has the benefit of being an official game coupled with a great use of said license.

Worms
Oh everyone knows what this is, I don't think I need to say anything about it. Except it has the best weapons load out of the franchise.

I'm really starting to believe that EPIC did the best shareware out of anyone, I was just not feeling these games aside from Worms. Time to move onto another disc, to hell with the rest of the demos on this one.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, Fade to Black, how dissapointing. It had a few clever bits at the start... the bad guy disguised as the chef and a few good puzzles, but most of the game was tedious action.Oh, Delphine... also, just FYI, it turns out my flashback is about Another World. I should play Flashback again. Or one of the old Oddworld games.

I loved Magic Carpet. I just loved flying about the world. And that huge sea monster, ahh! I never really figured out how to play the game, to be honest, I just flew around aimlessly throwing fireballs or whatever. I should go back and try to actually play it. Dungeon Keeper wasn't nearly evil enough for my tastes. Deception was a more satisfying Dungeon running game.

Alien Breed... I never got into the over-head shooters, though they were fun enough. Alien Breed 3D, on the other hand, was pimptastic. Best DooM clone on the Amiga. Shame the sequel was tosh.

Worms, yeah, we all know about worms. Worms 3D: Forts Under Siege (or whatever) was the first game I reviewed! I think! It was CONSIDERABLY BETTER than Vanilla Worms 3D, but still not as fun as the 2D ones. Naturally.

EPIC were all about bringing the console experience to the PC. I think Dess said that in that thread where she found their old brochere.
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ryan, finding a laptop capable of playing actual DOS games in DOS is probably going to be rough; the sound card issue alone will probably kill you. I have an old laptop running Win98 just for Interstate '76 and assorted awful FMV CD-ROM games that demand Quicktime 1, though, and I don't regret that one bit.

The important part about Quarantine is that you can find a drive-in movie theatre that plays a looping animation of a hot dog doing backflips!

What about:
Normality
A delightfully bizarre dystopian first-person adventure game starring the unbelievably over-the-top hammed-up voice acting of Corey Feldman*. Wins my prize for "Best use of a drinking bird toy in a videogame puzzle." The demo was awesome; even though there was only one puzzle you HAD to solve to finish it, there was a bunch of different stuff you could do around the apartment that would be useful later on in the game. So instead of just being, "Hey, I solved some puzzles and now it's over", it was "But what am I supposed to do with this sharkpoon? And this cup of coffee made from scaly kettle water and white paint? And this t-shirt that says, 'I am fat' on the front, and 'No, really' on the back? And this weird thing I found in my couch?"

* What the hell, all of the footage I can find on Youtube has a different, much less hammy (and only slightly less annoying) voice actor! Guess this means I'll have to record my own sometime.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jjsimpso

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to hear your impressions of Dungeon Master 2. I love that game, but then I also played it when it first came out.

I also loved Dungeon Keeper. It was one of the few RTSes that held my interest. Although the AI was a bit shit sometimes. Usually by the time I had built the ultimate dungeon and decided it was finally time to WAGE WAR on my rival, I would find nothing but a few imps and lonely corridors leading straight to his unprotected dungeon heart. I think that maybe there was a patch that fixed this though? I remember getting my ass handed to me by the final level's AI dungeon keeper(dude had fucking teleporting vampire commandos). In any case, the Lord of the Land invasions were always tough to repel.

I recently went through a bunch of my DOS compilation CDs and installed tons of stuff into DOSBox, including the Forgotten Realms Archives, SSI Masterpiece Collection, and others. There are tons of D&D games which came after the Goldbox series which no one seems to remember. We're talking Dark Sun(2 games), Ravenloft(2 games), Genie's Curse(kind of like a zelda clone), plus more. I think I may play some Dark Sun this week.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HarveyJams and I were talking about Normality not that long ago, actually! It's a game I was always curious about, the ads and reviews made it look so interesting. An entire playthrough is on Youtube so I watched a bit of that. I really like the world it's set in. I'll have to check it out. TRIVIA: It uses the same engine as Realms of the Haunting.

I wish I didn't sell my copy of Interstate 76.

My problem with Dungeon Keeper is that it was just another management/RTS game in "evil" clothing. Apart from the setting, it didn't really do anything new or interesting. I just found the whole thing unengaging and pretty dissapointing.

As for RPGs, I only played a very small amount. I never found the world of D&D that interesting. Plus they are such huge time sinks!

Also, thread needs more screenshots.

Another reminder for myselg to check out Quarantine.

Are there any good abandonware sites left? All the ones I've found have been pretty crappy, requiring logins or they all have the same games I can get anywhere, etc. And there are no HUGE COLLECTION OF DOS GAMES.ZIP packs on any torrent sites or emule!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys, many of the old SSI d&d games are raw awesome imo, but by "many" I mean to say I've had opportunity to play dragonstrike (which wasn't great), both darksun games (which were fairly great), and al-qadim (super-great). I can't recall if Eye of the Beholder was by SSI or someone else, but I only ever played 3 - and it was also quite good.

I've heard Curse of the Azure Bonds and Pools of Radiance are really good, too!

Honestly as far as PC RPGs go most of these games were much closer to dungeon crawls.. And I was able to beat Darksun: Wake of the Ravager and Al-Qadim in one sitting. Pretty satisfying, considering they had some hard encounters later on. I think they sort of predate the "huge timesink" problem that trickled into RPGs in general somewhere, though I could be wrong.

Also, Apogee's shareware tended to be pretty good. I got a lot of mileage out of Raptor when I was a wee tween... and still sometimes do!

Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
there are no HUGE COLLECTION OF DOS GAMES.ZIP packs on any torrent sites or emule!

On Mininova there are four torrents with DOS games on them which add up to roughly 8GB. Go mad, it's where I found The Terminator for you.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet, I'll dive in those later.

I got Quarantine to run just fine! Actually, it runs a little too fast so I'll have to slow it down next time I try it (believe it or not, I actually don't spend 24 hours playing videogames ans have real work to do, ok) but something unusual I noticed is that the soundtrack is made up entirely of Australian bands. Check out this tracklist:

You Am I - Berlin Chair (2:42)
The Fauves - The Driver Is You (3:3Cool
Custard - The Wahooti Fandango (3:00)
Smudge – Ingrown (3:13)
Godstar - Lie Down Forever (3:26)
Screamfeeder - Snail Trail (2:49)
The Daisygrinders - Uranium Watch (3:47)
Underground Lovers - Weak Will (5:29)
The Hellmenn – Whirlwind (4:17)
Crow - Yellow Beam (5:00)
Sidewinder - Now You Know (4:51)

I'm pretty sure the developer isn't Australian so I don't know what happened there. In other news, this game features both the most badass intro and coverart I've seen for a long time.

Now that's class. So yeah, have to check it out later. Looks like Crazy Taxi with guns, so far.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Next disc off the shelf is PCplayer #3. There's too many first person shooters and some windows games all of which I will be skipping. It's got Llamatron though so fuck yeah!

Cool Spot
If you've played it on your Nintendo you can expect the same thing. It likely has better music, the midi in this is truly terrible. This is the kind of marketing I can enjoy even though Mountain Dew had a more crisp and refreshing taste but SOLO conquers all with it's distinct lemony flavour.

Llamatron 2112
Llamatron is really wizard, that's all you need to know. I suppose since I brought it up all the Minter fans will be along to dedicate entire paragraphs to it and start score battles so I'll hand it over to them.

The Dig
Typical adventure game demo which showcases jack shit in the way of content. Find you way into a crater on an alien planet/asteroid. I own this one anyway, it's quite enjoyable though I'd rather be playing Full Throttle because it has bikers.

Terminal Velocity
The "not underground and less confusing Descent" is what it is. Terminal Velocity is the 3D Realms game to own. Fantastic music, some of the best graphics ever seen from 1995 and it is just so much fun it's criminal. Even if you are allergic to flying space jets around because you dread the amount of keys needed in games of flight you should still have a go because it has the absolute the bare minimum of controls needed for a game of this type. I am recommending it, two thumbs way up!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sediment wrote:
I've heard Curse of the Azure Bonds and Pools of Radiance are really good, too!

Many consider Curse of the Azure Bonds to be the highlight of the goldbox games. I have it but have not played it. I'm partial to Gateway and Treasures of the Savage Frontier myself. They added better outdoor travel(i think), weather conditions which affect combat, and romance! I played Pools of Darkness but quit when it began to suffer from ridiculous levels of unbalanced power gaming. Every battle left me with so much treasure I didn't know what to do with it all. Several of SSI's games had this problem. I've also never felt that D&D scaled well to high-level play(Pools of Darkness takes you up to about level 26).

sediment wrote:
Honestly as far as PC RPGs go most of these games were much closer to dungeon crawls.. And I was able to beat Darksun: Wake of the Ravager and Al-Qadim in one sitting. Pretty satisfying, considering they had some hard encounters later on. I think they sort of predate the "huge timesink" problem that trickled into RPGs in general somewhere, though I could be wrong.

I think this is true of a lot of RPGs of the time. Some of the goldbox games were probably time sinks, but quite a few RPG series weren't so bad. I finished Might and Magic IV and V in probably 20-25 hours each, which is nothing compared to RPGs these days. And those games had tons more content than most today have as well; they just had a lot less bullshit. I think I played Wizardry VII on and off for over a year before I beat it though. That was a pretty long game.

Speaking of Might and Magic, the intro cinematics for V blew me away at the time. Check it out. The Dragon Pharaoh was awesome.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I played both Pool of Radiance and Curse of the Azure Bonds back in the day, albeit on a Mac. Pool just kicked my ass, all I can recall of it is getting my ass handed to me repeatedly in the ruins. Curse I did a lot better with and got fairly far into it before running into a battle that repeatedly kicked my ass. I think there was a priest who could cast Hold Person or something like that.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

did the might and magic series go anywhere good after 5 and 6? (which combined into one larger game, iirc)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PCplayer #4 is the last in that series I have. Interestingly, this disc has a QSound demo which I'll have to look at. Or I can, you know, go play some CPS2 games instead.

Entomorph
An adventure game with zombies, angry insects and some really boring graphics. Walk around, do a whole lot of nothing and exit to play...

SWOS
...instead. Still the funnest football game on PC and it's how old? You'd think another game would come along and knock it off the throne by now. Maybe that new 3D update superceded it or maybe it was a bit naff like the other 3D Sensible Soccer game. Can anyone who has played those two share their thoughts, I'd make an exception just this once for discussing non-DOS games in this thread.

Theme Park
The original and the best version (though I am more familiar with the Mega Drive version). Runs incredibly fast but I remembered that you can reduce the CPU cycles in DOSBox which didn't really help much anyway, just made it choppy and fast. It really makes the game funny watching all those little dudes running about like beheaded chickens so it gains experience points in its entertainment stat. A worthy addition to have in your RPG party of old DOS games, right behind the quarterback that is Terminal Velocity next to some EPIC games.

Stick Fighter II
It's not a good game so it's a good thing it didn't work. I remember this one well but I don't have to, going by the name it's pretty obvious what it is. You can go with the stock characters or name your own and even edit the specials. When you walk in one direction you have to press the opposite one to stop which is really annoying. It's only two characters on a black background and it still manages to be a flicker fest. Sucks, stick with the PC version of Super Street Fighter II since that's good or even that Korean homebrew Street Fighter II with the terrible graphics and the bosses replaced with Fatal Fury characters if you want a laugh.

Superhero League Of Hoboken
Oh how disappointed I was to find that it's a rolling demo. FROWNY FACE. It looks entertaining so I'll give it that but if I wanted to watch a game and not play it I'd just go watch that tool-assisted Super Mario Bros. 3 speedrun.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:

The Dig
Typical adventure game demo which showcases jack shit in the way of content. Find you way into a crater on an alien planet/asteroid. I own this one anyway, it's quite enjoyable though I'd rather be playing Full Throttle because it has bikers.

The Dig is apparently based on a story that was optioned by Spielberg but ultimately abandoned because he decided it'd be too high-budget. So, he passed it onto Lucasarts. True!

Full Throttle is bloody awful. Ben is such an ass! It's like something that's meant for 7-year-olds. And it lasts about 5 minutes. I think I got spoiled by games like Monkey Island 2 where there are three little islands jam-packed with a million things to do (including a working library!) as opposed to Sam and Max where you drive halfway across the United States to find a screen with like one thing to do in it like pick up a fish or something.
jjsimpso

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhex wrote:
did the might and magic series go anywhere good after 5 and 6? (which combined into one larger game, iirc)

4 and 5, Clouds of Xeen and Darkside of Xeen, were the ones which combined into one game. They are also connected in story and gameplay/engine to the third game. After that there was another trilogy of games which had a new engine. And yes, they were pretty good, especially 6 and 7. The new engine did away with grid-based movement and added real 3d environments, although I think there were still a lot of sprites. Combat remained turnbased but you had the option to move a certain amount in between rounds and still have the opportunity to attack. The overall feel of the games remained pretty similar to the old past games. One of the best things they added though was a more complex skill and character advancement system. Oh yeah, and lots of people dug the paper doll inventory system. These were actually some of the best PC RPGs of the time!

Now, the less we say about Might and Magic IX the better.
jjsimpso

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Behold the good ol' days:

Unfortunately I only have a small fraction of my DOS game boxes these days. MM5 is a favorite though.
ryan

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is one sexy, sexy image. I do love looking at collections. Mmmm, boxed Daggerfall and Wing Commander. Ow ow owwwwwww!
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the Cool Spot demo! After I'd exhausted the possibilities of playing its single level, I went spelunking in its data files and discovered that the scrolling text in its intro screen is just stuffed in a text file that I could edit. Juvenility ensued!

There's a novelization of The Dig which I read once but don't remember anything about. I remember really liking the game, though all I can conjure up about it in my mind now is orange pants and sawing off a crazy German dude's arm with an alien jawbone.

Sam and Max is like Gobliiins, in that it's great so long as you already know the ridiculous moon logic solutions to the puzzles you're made to solve, because the solution itself is so amusing. I first played through it with the constant coaching of my friend who had a walkthrough, so I can't really speak for the experience of actually trying to figure it out, but I can imagine it sucking worse than Gobliiins because your scope is so large and your goal is so non-existent.

Harveyjams complaining that Full Throttle is too short makes me :(
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MY POLES AND HOLES its so good
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ApM wrote:

It's not that it's too short. More like, not enough interesting stuff happens within that short amount of time.
Cossix

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
ApM wrote:

It's not that it's too short. More like, not enough interesting stuff happens within that short amount of time.

Hey, whatever blows your hair back.

(Did you see what I did there)
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following are taken from the PC Format Gold Collection volume 3 and there are some real shockers here folks.

Abuse
Abuse was marketed as a two dimensional DooM (yes, I know...) but was more like Aliens. I think it was the first action game to have mouse aiming, which you basically needed in order to kill all the enemies who were called Ants even though they looked like Xenomorphs. You could run it at any resolution too if you wanted to cheat and see more of the level at once. I'll give this a thumbs up due to how much I played it back in the day.

BC Racers
A Mario Kart-style game with Chuck Rock characters which is either the most bland or the most droll thing you could think of depending on how much you like Chuck Rock. It's actually not too bad but no substitute for the game it's modeled after. The track in the demo which is a jungle stage has some really nice shades of green, it's kind of like you're there if you're the kind of person who has no depth perception.

Flight Of The Amazon Queen
A forgotten adventure game? I'm not sure on that but every time I brought it up in the past I was met with blank stares. I liked it enough to buy it and got a playguide and some seriously dodgy house music CD free with it which went out the window on the drive home. It's a longer demo than The Dig one but not by much and it's more amusing but that's not really a pro when you compare a mildly humorous game to a serious one.

Ultimate Body Blows
Ultimate Dick Blows more like. Body Blows was just a drop in the glut of post-Street Fighter II fighting games but it managed to have a few sequels, how I still don't know to this day because it's fucking shit. I went over to this kid's joint once and he had an Amiga with Body Blows which after one match which I won I deemed it shit then made some excuse about having to leave and just went and played Street Fighter II Special Championship Edition on my SEGA. I had to quit this game because of the awkward as fuck control layout (seriously, E,X,S,D for movement and who fucking knows for attacks) so basically fuck Body Blows it's games like this that make me create more stickers.

Brutal Paws Of Fury
What is up with the shitty fighting games? Blocking does not work at all in Brutal just like the basic elements of fun. Even Body Blows is better than this stinker and that is saying something. I am giving this a special "cunts only" award and you can imagine what that sticker would look like.

Cannon Fodder 2
I needed a good note to end on so now we are talking. 'Sequel' obviously means more of the same but hard as leather balls in Sensible Software's vocabulary. But that doesn't stop it from being the most fun rendition of war ever. Everyone should play Cannon Fodder it's hilarious, it's all in the screams of the dudes you shoot and the times you misjudge a grenade throw and end up killing all your dudes. I am giving this a thumbs up for hilarity but not a sticker as I much like the first game more. Because I can.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, I had Body Blows.There was a Ninja called Ninja whose catchphrase was 'NINJA!'

Team 17 were arrogant dicks. I completed the re-release of Alien Breed on my Amiga and got this message :

'YEAH THAT'S RIGHT, NO ENDING. WHAT YOU GONNA DO ABOUT IT, PUSSY? SURE WE COULD HAVE JUST COPIED AND PASTED THE ENDING TEXT FROM THE ORIGINAL GAME BUT WE'D RATHER JUST PATRONISE AND INSULT YOU. DID WE DO RIGHT? OF COURSE WE DID. IT'S LATE AND WE'RE AMAZING. WHY DON'T YOU BUY OUR OTHER GAMES? AND GET YOUR HEAD ROUND THIS: RICO IS PROBABLY IN THE OTHER ROOM HAVING SEX. YEAH, SEX. YOU PROBABLY DON'T KNOW WHAT THAT IS. BUT THEN YOU'RE PROBABLY NOT THE KIND OF GUY WHO ONLY HAS 2 LITRES OF WHISKY LEFT. FUCK YOU."
dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Team 17 were arrogant dicks. I completed the re-release of Alien Breed on my Amiga and got this message :

'HOTLINKING IS NOT ALLOWED."

the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, that ruins the whole post.

Seriously 'hotlinking is not allowed' would have been better than what you actually got, which was an arrogant diatribe which had nothing to do with the game you just spent hours playing.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COMMENTS FROM CYCLE

Terminal Velocity - I loved this game back in the day, AWESOME SOUNDTRACK, but man, it could benefit from some actual mission/level design. Flying from target to target while ignoring all the ships on my tail got a little old, the mechanics certainly could have used some work. The tunnels were hilarious, these inexplicable obstacle courses just there for no reason, but I loved them anyway. It has a "spiritual" sequel called Fury 3, which was pretty much a stand-alone expansion pack for windows (works perfectly in Vista!) and then that had a sequel called Hellbender which I've always wanted to play but never have. Anyone know anything about it?

Oh yeah, my friends and I used to play this via two laptops hooked up together.

The Dig - One of few the LucasArts games I never got into. I only played the demo and nothing I heard about it got me interested enough in playing the full version. Seemed a bit boring. Full Throttle is another LucasArts game I didn't get into. Basically all their later adventure titles. Actually, I agree about Sam & Max, too. It's their weakest earlier/middle title in my opinion, though I love the characters. But yeah, it's more fun with a walkthrough. I've recently started playing the episodes again and have been having a good time with them.

Llamatron - I really should play this. Someone remind me why.

Superhero League Of Hoboken - I need to play this too. I hadn't even heard of it until I asked about the banner. Rolling demos are cockteases.

Theme Park - I spent more time with THEME HOSPITAL which was a swell game. I can't remember much about Theme Park (apart from being awesome), though I don't think the business aspect was as boring as every magazine said. I mean, it wasn't exciting, but I don't remember it getting in the way of the more entertaining bits that often. Also, do you build new parks through the game or stick with the one you start with? One thing that bugged me about Theme Hospital was rebuilding a hospital all the damn time. I remember keeping the same one in Theme Park but it's been such a long time that I can't be sure.

SWOS - I wish the Xbox version of this game didn't have borked difficulty. Have they fixed that shit yet? So dissapointing.

Cannon Fodder - Woo, war has never been so much fun! Yeah, the sequel was more of the same but harder, but whatever, it's still good. So addictive. It always made me a bit guilty when the hills started to fill with graves, though. Needs to be ported to the DS already.

Flight Of The Amazon Queen - Auzie Pride, Reprezenting. From the same folks who would bring us Halloween Harry. Both games are now freeware!

BC Racers - This is just a reminder for myself to go back and and get Big Red Racing. Fond memories of that one. It probably sucks, though.

Abuse - Quick question; did the DOS version of this game feature music or ambient noise? I ask because I loved the Mac game which had a brilliant ambient soundtrack that made the game TERRIFYINGLY awesome, and then I tried the PC version and laughed at the shitty music it had instead of the ambience. HOWEVER, I recently saw a video of the game featuring the ambient soundtrack, and it claimed to be the DOS version. Not the first game to use the mouse for aiming, by the way. Still frickin' awesome.

On another note, what DOS games would you folks consider culty?

Also, thread still needs screenshots.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One culty game I can think of is the bbs door game Usurper. In fact, it has enough of a cult following that you can still play it on a few telnet accessible bbses today. It's basically a text-based, asynchronous, multiplayer RPG focused on PvP. Each player has a certain number of turns per day which they can use to attack other players(who are probably not logged in at the time), fight monsters, purchase equipment, take drugs, or hire prostitutes. All very appealing activities to teenage boys! I remember taking the time to figure out how to install it locally(without DOOR.SYS) so that I could continue getting my fix after I'd used up my daily turns on the local bbses.

One game which should have a cult following but probably doesn't is Dragon Wars, Interplay's spiritual successor to the Bard's Tale series. Dragon Wars had a lot of nice enhancements over BT, had a much more interesting setting, and is also much less of a time sink. It also kind of reminds me of wasteland in some ways(although i haven't played that one much), with a sort of fantasy bronze age take on nuclear proliferation!

Screenshots of the first two events the player will see in Dragon Wars:

sediment

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragon Wars and Wasteland are practically identical, at least in how they play. I sank a few hours into both at the same time when I picked up Interplay's RPG Museum bundle, and then pretty much stopped caring about DW and beat Wasteland.

DW was interesting - I'll give it that - and had a really interesting area with a creepy guy living in a garden of bleeding statues, plus demons, and all kinds of fun stuff. I'm intending to return to it sometime.

Wasteland just happened to have three-legged hookers and radioactive herpes, and that sold me on it. Smile

ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Cannon Fodder - Needs to be ported to the DS already.

Cycle wrote:

Cycle wrote:

I could've sworn that Terminal Velocity and Fury3 were the same damn game.

Superhero League of Hoboken is so awesome. I can't even describe it. It's an RPG with more amusing battles than Earthbound, but it's also a traditional adventure game, and it's got this Maniac Mansion-esque mechanic where you pick the characters in your party and they all have different abilities which can be used in different ways to solve the same puzzle. Fuck yes, Steve Meretzky.

Big Red Racing - Yes to the fond memories, yes to it sucking now. Sorry. It is the most '90s game ever, though.

I don't remember any music at all in Abuse, to be honest. I mostly remember one of my friends getting very excited that it was scripted in Lisp and totally moddable. I think he might wrote a version of Pong for it.

I've said this before, but the first half of Neuromancer is way better than any book William Gibson ever wrote.
D-A-I-S

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsimpso I demand you generate a Dungeon Hack dungeon and liveblog it

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
Entomorph
An adventure game with zombies, angry insects and some really boring graphics. Walk around, do a whole lot of nothing and exit to play...

dude I have Entomorph, it is action/adventure where you run around punching insects because you are a pugilist and then your character starts turning into an insect and you can spit acid.

also the old AD&D games were fun because they were less "go on quests" and more "bounce from setpiece to setpiece" like an arcade game. Some of the dungeons/battles in Dark Sun (like the mad wizard's lab) and some of the crazy areas in Al-Quadim were just excellent. Also: ship battles! Looting gold from pirates!
jjsimpso

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

D-A-I-S wrote:
jjsimpso I demand you generate a Dungeon Hack dungeon and liveblog it[

I'd be tempted to do such a thing if this guy from the something awful forums hadn't already uploaded 13(!) videos of him playing through a dungeon in Dungeon Hack. So, that game has already been done. I actually started playing Dragon Wars a while back with the intent of blogging it. Maybe I'll find the motivation someday. These games don't get the kind of exposure that a lot of the classic console games do.

D-A-I-S wrote:
also the old AD&D games were fun because they were less "go on quests" and more "bounce from setpiece to setpiece" like an arcade game. Some of the dungeons/battles in Dark Sun (like the mad wizard's lab) and some of the crazy areas in Al-Quadim were just excellent. Also: ship battles! Looting gold from pirates!

I like the way you think. It seems like RPGs these days are very formulaic compared to the DOS days of yore. Certainly each series had its own formula, but each series was pretty unique in style and mechanics. Today's RPGs have been refined into about 3 different archetypes and that is it. I miss the old days Sad
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do it anyway. dungeon hack is an interesting enough variation of the traditional roguelike that it could use some non-terrible-voiceover documenting.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
do it anyway. dungeon hack is an interesting enough variation of the traditional roguelike that it could use some non-terrible-voiceover documenting.

Well, if I were to do anything with it it would be mostly text and pictues with maybe some video. No voice recording for me! One cool thing with Dungeon Hack is that you can share your dungeon's seed value so others can play the same dungeon.

sediment wrote:
Wasteland just happened to have three-legged hookers and radioactive herpes, and that sold me on it. Smile

I should play more wasteland. Are there any other good post-apocalyptic rpgs besides it and fallout?

ryan wrote:
That is one sexy, sexy image. I do love looking at collections. Mmmm, boxed Daggerfall and Wing Commander. Ow ow owwwwwww!

Thanks. I should try wing commander in dosbox. I haven't played it in ages. Daggerfall runs really well in dosbox for those who haven't tried it. It's best to either use the nocd crack or mount the cd as an iso image.

On the shareware front, I remember liking jill of the jungle(i think that has been discussed on TGQ before), raptor, overkill, abuse, and the duke nukem sidescrollers. Anybody know if the duke nukem games hold up today?
ApM
Admin Rockstar
Admin Rockstar

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'M BACK
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, do you remember awesome ambient noise in Abuse?

Oh boy, I also remember liking Jill of the Jungle, Raptor, Overkill, Abuse and Duke Nukem! I actually went to play the older Duke games, and the original trilogy hasn't held up well at all. I gave up on that pretty quickly. The second trilogy holds up a bit better, I ended up playing through the entire first episode again.

Wasteland is actually a pretty good pick for a culty game... I asked for some because while pitching ideas for the new flashback I mentioned doing one about culty games, and now I have to think of a whole bunch. AWESOME.

Reading this thread reminds me that there are so many DOS games I should have played but never did... I'm trying to catch up. Should keep me busy for awhile, I shouldn't have to buy any new games for months!

I guess I'll try some old RPGS at some point, but man, I really hate starting games that take over 20 hours to complete.

Termainal Velocity and Fury3 are virtually the same game, yeah. Just with different levels, pretty much.

Sad to discover Big Red Racing is indeed crap, but I'm gonna play it anyway.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
Abuse - Quick question; did the DOS version of this game feature music or ambient noise?

The DOS version had ambient noises but I'm pretty sure the full version had music, the CD version anyway.

EDIT: I shall tack this on the end.

Super Frog
I am led to believe that you play a frog that is super. He does has a cape and he can run on his hind legs, that's pretty super for a frog. The game is not super though so it's only a half truth. I feel cheated.

FX Fighter
FX Fighter hasn't stood the test of time but back before Virtua Fighter Remix was ported it was all we had so we learnt to enjoy it. Since this was a PC game it had to be set on a grand scale, we liked things that way you see, so there are combatants from across the galaxy, the same setting that Xenophage and it's ridiculously huge sprites would follow months later. Sadly this game follows a curse...of bad controls, that all PC fighting games are hit with except maybe One Must Fall 2097 (oh I'm just name dropping games left right and centre).

Hi-Octane
A futuristic battle racing game. Race really fast and shoot missiles at opponents whilst you enjoy the super-fast graphics and the really claustrophobic draw distance. Demo ran so fast it made the sound all weird.

Alex Dampier Pro Hockey 95
Who? I find ice hockey more exciting than baseball but less than cricket which is not much so how am I expected to like a computer game that is about the sport? At least I didn't have to configure my soundcard for this one.

Kick Off 3
"Please insert a joystick in Port 1". My new motherboard doesn't have a game port so I can't use my trusty Sidewinder pad. I've already played SWOS so I don't need to play another football game ever.

Lemmings 3D
This was the first 2D to 3D game that I ever played. Still actually fun which is really something because the shelf life on these games with added dimensions was terribly short. You get the first ten levels on 'Fun' difficulty and let me tell you they are 'Fun'.

Pinball Mania
Not as good as EPIC Pinball or even that other one but trying to be at least as good as EPIC Pinball is like trying to push a crate of rocks up a downwards going escalator.

Mortal Kombat 3
The first actually good fighting game in my round-ups and one of the best of the day, saying so should piss off everyone who hates Mortal (C/K)ombat. Only Jax and Shiva can be played but all the blood is present and the Fatalities too if I could remember them. Say what you like about the game but it's one of the best ports you'll play. TRIVIA: The Firefox spell checker suggested "Wombat" as a substitute for "Kombat" which I think was made into a game, Mortal Wombat. It wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if it was shit.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh man, I forgot about Betrayal at Krondor! I never got very far in that game considering that it was so brutally hard. Also reading through this thread, I remembered another old DOS game that I found fun: Halloween Harry. It was like river city ransom with jetpacks!

Also, I feel like I say this in every thread, but Stonekeep. So good. I liken it to a version of UU that's just more fun!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
Also reading through this thread, I remembered another old DOS game that I found fun: Halloween Harry. It was like river city ransom with jetpacks!

I used to own the first ever Halloween Harry game which was a green and black, one colour single screen platformer released on a long defunct Australian computer. Well, I probably still do have it I just can't locate where my disks are. It was incredibly different to the DOS versions, more of a haunted house game than zombies in sewers and shopping centres and no hostages to rescue.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I had no idea that the version of Halloween Harry I played was a sequel. (is that the right word? remake?)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a true sequel alright because they pretty much changed the entire game for the sake of progression.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRIVIA TIME

FX Fighter was originally a SNES game that used the FX chip - hence the title, but eventually got switched to PC. I remember it looked AMAZING to me when it was first released. Here is a little bit about the SNES version:

Hi-Octane was primarly made from the Magic Carpet code, and it shows. The games main gimmick was tracks that would morph mid-race, a feature that was first seen in Magic Carpet. Didn't quite match the likes of Wipeout, but it did have its charms (like all Bullfrog games).

Super Frog is a game involved in a running joke I have with a friend, which usually involves him trying to convince me that the game actually didn't suck. Actually, I'm not sure if he's joking or not, but he loved the game when he was younger. I made one level of it. It was enough!

Halloween Harry (also known as Alien Carnage) has a windows sequel called ZOMBIE WARS, but I never played it because it didn't work with later versions of windows. The creators have tried to bring the game into 3D several times (including a 2.5D effort). The latest one used their TY THE TASMANIAN TIGER 2 engine:

P.S. if anyone is interested in trying out Jazz Jackrabbit 3D:

http://digiex.net/games-downloads/23-jazz-jackrabbit-3d.html

Lemmings 3D runs sssooo slow in Dosbox. It's weird, newer more demanding games run fine, but when I try to run older 3D games, they run like crap. Anyone know what the deal is?

Hey Bleak, tell us about the keep that is made out of stone.

Last edited by Cycle on Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:49 am; edited 1 time in total
Winged Assassins (1984)

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Lemmings 3D increase the CPU cycles to about 20000, that will solve your problem.

EDIT: Earth Hour sucks, I can't see tjhe frickin keys on yh keyboard without any lights on.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 3:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if they turned off the lights at the football game, I doubt it BECAUSE IT'S FOOTBALL. Also, a single househould appliance uses more energy than all the lights in the house really, but whatever, I'll go with the crowd.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 4:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jjsimpso wrote:
dhex wrote:

4 and 5, Clouds of Xeen and Darkside of Xeen, were the ones which combined into one game. They are also connected in story and gameplay/engine to the third game.

In fact, the first 5 games are all connected storywise, framed by Corak's hunt for Sheltem. It's actually pretty amusing because of many reoccuring elements that are probably placed in Xeen as homages, for example Alamar's true identity in Xeen would be no surprise to somebody who's played MM1, as there is a king Alamar in it who happens to be the very same person (and you discover who he really is the same way, through a dungeon's layout). 1 and 2 haven't aged nearly as well as Terra and Xeen though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: