The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A WANDERER, A WEASEL, AND THE TRIP THROUGH IMPASSE VALLEY
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LordGek

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keidrych wrote:
I just finished Shiren's main game, and am enjoying the optional dungeons. I suck at them.

Has anyone here played Torneko: The Last Hope or Nightmare Of Druaga? How do they compare to Shiren DS?

Also, does anyone know exactly what was changed in this remake?

I think Torneko: The Last Hope is probably the closest Mystery Dungeon game (other than the other Shiren games). Think Shiren but with many more separate smaller dungeons and all Dragon Quest themed (so a different cast of beasties with a few pretty close to what you see in Shiren).

Here is a link to some of the differences one guy noted between the SFC and DS version of the game (with the biggest being, imho, making the main dungeon a lot easier):
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=10297286&postcount=578
Bulkor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, so there's now a bunch of dialog events with the Smith's apprentice in the Bamboo Village. She moves around a bunch in the town, so you'll have to search for her occasionally, but if you talk to her enough times (a whole lotta times) you can get one free tempering and a Mastersword +30. There are some dialog choices, none of which I think you can actually screw up irrevocably on, and at one point you'll need to heal her by throwing her an herb. You apparently need to complete Table Mountain to get all the way through her events but I don't know at what point that stops you.

Also, that English Wiki Shaper linked to a while back has a great article on stealing, the highlight being how to steal from the Mountaintop pot store. I have yet to see a single Melding pot in the actual dungeon, but you can grab a couple in one go from that store.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 2:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Scroll dungeon and the Food God Shrine. It was such a revelation the first time I threw a trap at an enemy. "Now THIS is Trap-Fu!" Totally great.
LordGek

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Scroll dungeon and the Food God Shrine. It was such a revelation the first time I threw a trap at an enemy. "Now THIS is Trap-Fu!" Totally great.

I think my favorite aspect of the Trap-Fu is the cool game within a game of when to wear the Trapband and when not to. I'd often find myself mainly doing without it so I could beat baddies up for full points and only putting it back on the first moment I step into a new room to see where the traps are in that room (at which point if I didn't grab the traps I'd make a point to walk up and swing my sword over each so that they were "discovered" and therefore still visible once I took off the Trapband again).
Mister Toups
Hates your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Coming out of hiding to post in this thread...

Been playing for about a week now and really digging it. Finally made it to the floor 30 last night but died of starvation... But I was ill-equipped to handle the situation either way. In retrospect, I realized that I had like three jars of hiding which might have evened the odds had I thrown them at enemies instead of using them on myself. But I probably would've died either way; I made it to the Plains of the Sun with like 4 hunger. I didn't actually realize that I'd have to fight a boss monster, otherwise I would not have rushed through the remaining trials (though I guess it's probably good to rush through them either way).

The ironic part is that I had quite a lot of riceballs on that run, but they got ruined by a rot trap. I had more in a pot that got stolen by a walrus on a floor that was too difficult for me to hunt him down.

Small question -- when I meet the jar apprentice guy, am I supposed to throw an unidentified jar at him or something? Jars are usually too valuable for me to waste them like this unless I know for sure that I'll get a good payoff.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh! Also, a good way to survive the marsh unscathed is to be sure you have a party member with you and let him/her deal with the drain enemies. Of course, you run the risk that he/she will have strength drained and then be worthless. My friend was playing a run on my copy where Kechi had his strength reduced to 1 and was surrounded by self-replicated purple slimes -- on the other side of the map. So for every step he took he had to watch about a dozen or so messages pop up detailing the futile slap-fight that ensued between the group of underpowered creatures.

Another trick is to save up on arrows. I find that if you're leveled 1:1 with the floor you can take out most of the drain enemies with arrows before they get close enough to kill you.

But since discovering these methods the marsh is rarely ever a problem for me.

btw, I have not seen the plating scroll dude in cryptic rock valley inn, and I visit the second floor like EVERY time.
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mister Toups wrote:

Been playing for about a week now and really digging it. Finally made it to the floor 30 last night but died of starvation... But I was ill-equipped to handle the situation either way. In retrospect, I realized that I had like three jars of hiding which might have evened the odds had I thrown them at enemies instead of using them on myself. But I probably would've died either way; I made it to the Plains of the Sun with like 4 hunger. I didn't actually realize that I'd have to fight a boss monster, otherwise I would not have rushed through the remaining trials (though I guess it's probably good to rush through them either way).

The ironic part is that I had quite a lot of riceballs on that run, but they got ruined by a rot trap. I had more in a pot that got stolen by a walrus on a floor that was too difficult for me to hunt him down.

Small question -- when I meet the jar apprentice guy, am I supposed to throw an unidentified jar at him or something? Jars are usually too valuable for me to waste them like this unless I know for sure that I'll get a good payoff.

Oh, he has all the pots he needs...just if there were something that could help him determine IDENTITY of items.
Intentionally Wrong

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are a couple of NPCs who seem like they want something, but if you throw an item at these NPCs, they just get hit by it and start attacking you. Like the fisherman guy in the underground village who complains about how he can't go home empty-handed; I threw a riceball at him, and he starts punching me. So I've been leery about people requesting help.
Mister Toups

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
Mister Toups wrote:

Oh, he has all the pots he needs...just if there were something that could help him determine IDENTITY of items.

doink!

kinda sucks that I've gotten like a total of 2 identity scrolls so far.
LordGek

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
There are a couple of NPCs who seem like they want something, but if you throw an item at these NPCs, they just get hit by it and start attacking you. Like the fisherman guy in the underground village who complains about how he can't go home empty-handed; I threw a riceball at him, and he starts punching me. So I've been leery about people requesting help.

Item text in blue means they want it from you and item text red you might end up dead!
Laughing
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So my courier let me down, and now I've got my Katana +18 (Gold plated) & Armor Ward +24 (Gold, Walrus, 1/2 hunger) sitting in the fourth town. I'm scared to take them past there cause I have a terrible habit of dying in the first couple floors of table mountain. Does Tobi show up past that point, or am I better off waiting for a warp jar?
LordGek

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

simplicio wrote:
So my courier let me down, and now I've got my Katana +18 (Gold plated) & Armor Ward +24 (Gold, Walrus, 1/2 hunger) sitting in the fourth town. I'm scared to take them past there cause I have a terrible habit of dying in the first couple floors of table mountain. Does Tobi show up past that point, or am I better off waiting for a warp jar?

That is some seriously GREAT equipment and when I cleared it I didn't even have equipment HALF that good. Not that stupid things can happen to you where the greatest equipment in the world won't help, but I really don't know WHAT you are waiting for.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PURE FEAR, sir.

Plus another melding jar; I've got a couple more things in that storehouse to add to my katana.

EDIT: Hey whatever happened to these guys?

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tengu got promoted to shapeshifters in the new version. so these guys got replaced.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
tengu got promoted to shapeshifters in the new version. so these guys got replaced.

I noticed that if you look carefully when you kill one of these guys in some shape shifted form on the DS version you still get at least a frame of animation of one of these guys before the baddy disappears.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, this game is so great.

That said, it seems to be really stingy in terms of handing out weapons. The last five runs I've had, I've gotten to Bamboo Village with just my bare hands and then I usually wind up dying shortly afterwards -- either the store in Bamboo Village never has weapons or all my Gitan gets stolen by pickpockets before I get there.
LordGek

PostPosted: Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find the item distribution in the various dungeons interesting. Like how you are lucky to find a Melding Jar in Table Mountain whereas in the Final Puzzle they're handed out about as frequently as any other jar. Also in Table Mountain it seems that you are mainly seeing the standard weapons (cudgel, polearm, katana, and mastersword) for the most part whereas, again, in Final Puzzle all weapons seem to show up with about the same probability (well except for the VERY rare Kabra's Blade).
getter77

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've put nigh 70ish hours into this game at work----now having to take a break and try PMD: Blue Rescue to keep things fresh. I've had some weird stuff happen:

-Can't believe I beat the boss at Table Mountain. The "cheap" ways most folk can commonly win? Yeah, that only works if you have that stuff/stil have that stuff. I as able to para his minions and get him to Dopple-kill a few others (couldn't get a bead on him directly) then it turned into one RIDICUOUS fights.

1. Swing KB staff
2. Throw empty Jar(s) for 2 dmg a piece
3. Swing KB staff

Repeat until I'm out of stuff to throw by and large to where is it just me, him, and a few Chiropractic Pots that didn't have many charges left. I even threw some scrolls at him for micro damage. Maybe wouldn't be so bad, but I made it to him, and then had to fight him, with ONLY a +3 plated Razor Wind and Brozeshield +4. Never before in a game have I been so GREATFUL for times where attacks on my person would miss.

One wracking fight later and I'd finally beaten Table Mountain.

The whole time thinking, all this and WHY did I wind up with a freaking Windshield sitting in the Cryptic Rock Valley Storehouse...and how I'll ever have the guts to get that thing back to Mountaintop town. Embarassed

Beat Food God and unlocked all other dungeons, but my Trap-Fu is still too weak to persevere and I lack the necessary EQ for Ravine, Ceremonial, Tainrted. Fay's Final Puzzle still eludes me...though reading the account on NeoGAF of the dud that managed to be through Floor 99 was pretty inspiring to not give up and just come back to the game on rotation at some point.

Such an awesome game! I want Shiren 64 to get a remake/port dealie and come out for it on DS in English...same for all other Shiren games....and Shiren III for Wii to come over and.... :fades off into dreamland:
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recently I had my most disappointing Shiren death. I was two levels on the other side of Janus Valley with my brother, Oryu and the little girl. I started in the room with the exit and decided that I should clear the room before advancing, which turned into a very bad idea when the tank that was in the room killed all three of my companions and then made very short work of me. So close to getting the little girl back.

My current run, I found the armband that gives you experience in the first room of the first level. I was level 6 before I found the exit.
LordGek

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any fellow importators looking into snagging Shiren 3? I'm not worried about the language barrier since, while still not knowing a word of Japanese, I have stumbled through a number of Japanese MD games in the past (most notably Shiren the Wanderer DS and Asuka Shiren PC). My concern, assuming I have a way to bypass the region lock, anybody have a clue how Wii online aspects work when you're "out of region" (like can I access Japanese online updates with an American system)?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm wary about the effect realistically proportioned characters will have on a series that has traditionally used very cartoony designs to make its outright cruelty and sadistic sense of humor more palatable. it also looks fairly cutscene-heavy, and i don't know how you make cutscenes work in a roguelike. they do look gorgeous, though.

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember reading here that only one riceball per run is "effective" in terms of leveling up Pekeji -- so when he asks for that second riceball and refuses to move when he doesn't get it, do people generally leave him behind or keep tossing him food?
LordGek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
I remember reading here that only one riceball per run is "effective" in terms of leveling up Pekeji -- so when he asks for that second riceball and refuses to move when he doesn't get it, do people generally leave him behind or keep tossing him food?

He becomes more useful with each trip you take him on. If his demands for riceballs are getting too ridiculous you may want to just leave him behind since next time you meet and have him join your party he'll demand less.

@Dessgeega
Enh, while our main character and pals look a little more realistic, I think a majority of the monsters are still on the cartoony side of things. I too am no fan of painfully intrusive cutscenes but am willing to bet it will mainly be a big intro and maybe something quick before /after entering key dungeons or encountering some of the bosses. I'm confident there is NO WAY they can make it as obnoxious as they just did in PMD2 (actually, is there a better term for what they did in PMD2? I consider it a cutscene anytime the game takes over the actions of your character but they were all done using the main game's graphic engine).
LordGek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
i'm wary about the effect realistically proportioned characters will have on a series that has traditionally used very cartoony designs to make its outright cruelty and sadistic sense of humor more palatable. it also looks fairly cutscene-heavy, and i don't know how you make cutscenes work in a roguelike. they do look gorgeous, though.

Actually the more I re-view the various trailers and commercials I kind of noticed some odd trends. It almost reminds me of how they went about things in Pokemon (at least from my viewpoint) with many of the low level beasties almost entirely done in very rolly-polly cartoon like style but, as you move up the food chain, things start looking more "realistic" and kind of intimidating.

But then again, this could all be in my mind.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After leaving Pekeji behind on Pegasus Ridge, I continued on with Oryu and after leaving the Happy Armband in a warehouse (right next to the Melding Jar that you get for free), I moved on into the mines. After finding the little girl, I decided to try and head immediately for the exits whenever possible and even after Oryu was killed by a Hidden Eye, I managed to somehow muddle through.

So now I'm in Cryptic Rock Valley with no companions, a Polearm +1, an Armor Ward +4 and a Rustless Armband, which I hope should help with the swamps.
getter77

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Random question: What happens when, or is it even possible, for the Kid Tengu's/Shapeshifters to level up? Would they actually BECOME whatever they were pretending to be...or something else entirely? I think I've seen progression for just about everyhing else in general but I have no idea on this one.
LordGek

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getter77 wrote:
Random question: What happens when, or is it even possible, for the Kid Tengu's/Shapeshifters to level up? Would they actually BECOME whatever they were pretending to be...or something else entirely? I think I've seen progression for just about everyhing else in general but I have no idea on this one.

Nah, just a slightly tougher fake version of whatever they're pretending to be. I'm pretty sure they never can even pull off their imitated form's special ability.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How do you get items out of pots?
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

depends on the pot. some pots (like the pot of holding) will let you simply retrieve or use an item from the pot just by looking inside it. but most pots (all the ones that actually have an affect on what you put inside them) have to be broken to get at what's in them.

LordGek wrote:
Actually the more I re-view the various trailers and commercials I kind of noticed some odd trends. It almost reminds me of how they went about things in Pokemon (at least from my viewpoint) with many of the low level beasties almost entirely done in very rolly-polly cartoon like style but, as you move up the food chain, things start looking more "realistic" and kind of intimidating.

the original shiren does this too. compare a mamul or bean bandit to a minotaur or master chicken.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's also vacuum scrolls, which empty a pot's contents onto the floor around you, but they're pretty rare. (spoiler wikis say you can find them in the main dungeon, but I never have)

Talking to Scratch about this game has got me playing again. Fay's final puzzle is still smacking me around, but at least the game has now made me crazy enough to play with notes on item prices and enemy lists for each floor. Never again, mimics!
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
So now I'm in Cryptic Rock Valley with no companions, a Polearm +1, an Armor Ward +4 and a Rustless Armband, which I hope should help with the swamps.

I reached 28F with this guy before getting killed. I forget what killed me! I had some Mecha-whatsit meat, which I really should have eaten, only I was wanting to save it for 30F -- when you transform yourself via meat, how long does it last?
Swimmy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as my experience, until you disable it yourself, which you have to before you can use exits or items. I don't think it goes away on its own.

"Ayn Rand fans are the old school version of Xenogears fanboys."
-seryogin
LordGek

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swimmy wrote:
As far as my experience, until you disable it yourself, which you have to before you can use exits or items. I don't think it goes away on its own.

Yep, which is also where it can get tricky as it costs an "action" to come out of the form you are in. So you need to realize ahead of time, if you're hoping to use and item, go down stairs, or heck, even take on another monster form you'll need to allow 1 turn to change back. Trying to change back when at your last tiny sliver of health is often useless as the baddies will get an extra free hit on you before you can do anything in your normal form (like use an item). At least the game let's you use your monster's special power the second you eat it (so there is no wasted action when TURNING INTO something).
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sega and chunsoft announced shiren ds 2, which will be based on the (gorgeous) gameboy color episode (which is probably my next favorite shiren game after the original). more likely to see western release than shiren 3, and more likely to be a good game.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How's this Shiren different from the SNES version? The blurbs say it's heavier on the story, but not much else.
LordGek

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bulkor wrote:
How's this Shiren different from the SNES version? The blurbs say it's heavier on the story, but not much else.

Here is something I wrote on GameFAQs about the original GBC version (what I could pick up from the ancient Chunsoft webpage on the game):

Well if there is a DS port in the works of Shiren GB, I wanted to look into what we might have to look forward to by using my Japanese translator of choice on this page:

http://www.chunsoft.co.jp/games/shirengb2/index.html

Here are some fun facts:
-This time the story is taking place in a vast desert.
-Even though this came out in '96 it was already utilizing the concept of "Password Rescues".
-There was a "Sword of Cell Armor" that sounds like it always had some small chance of making an enemy you're fighting drop an item.
-There was an "Armband of Teleportation" that when worn would teleport you to a random point in the level. Not sure if this is supposed to be a good or a bad thing and it sounds like you had no control on WHEN it would teleport you while wearing it.
-The game introduced the counterpoint of cursing via blessing. A blessed scroll is not used up when read (after being read there is still some 50% chance of it remaining blessed so you make get even more than 2 uses out of it). A blessed herb is twice as effective. Lastly, at least of the examples given, a blessed wand does not use up a charge (but with every usage, just like the scroll, it might go back to normal unblessed. This also means there was a new "Jar of Blessing" in the game.
-The game introduced the concept of "Item Synergy". Basically if you equipped certain items together they became stronger than they normally would. Combos mentioned were things like equipping both a wooden shield and club or when you combined the "Cresent Sword" with the "Blast Shield". In both of these cases both the weapon and shield would get some +5 to their respective strengths while equipped together. They even mentioned a combination of one of the shields with a specific armband, so there are many possible thematic combos out there.
-Besides just Melding pots there exist some big bellied monsters you can throw item at to have them combined in his gut (and available once you kill him). I think they also introduce a slight revision to the melding where, depending on the base item, you may only be able to meld a limited number of abilities (so in addition to just the old max plus limit of the items). I also think, basing on how this was done in Torneko, that when synthesizing via a monster there are strange combinations you can do like melding an herb of confusion to your weapon so with each hit there is a chance the baddy will become confused.
-Some new companions like an animated chest of drawers (that can help him store more items) and some sort of doll/robot.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started playing Shiren DS again recently, after I recommended it to a friend and he bought, and now I'm hooked. What an amazingly clever roguelike!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cycle wrote:
I started playing Shiren DS again recently, after I recommended it to a friend and he bought, and now I'm hooked. What an amazingly clever roguelike!

I think I love it's elegance the most. It doesn't bog itself down with complex skill trees or some deep story, just good clean straight forward fun. I also love how almost every obstacle you face in the game can be passed in any number of ways. At no point does the game pull some, "Go on the grand quest to find the holy item to defeat this boss monster who's immune to EVERYTHING ELSE!"
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the game makes nice use of its jrpg background to do some things with narrative that aren't often attempted in roguelikes.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 2:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yah, I mentioned something to that effect earlier. It's also jsut a very well thought out game, though I do fear I may be forced to "grind" items with the warehouses and stuff if I ever want to finish the game... but oh the other hand, the warehouse mechanic is great. I also really love how the world changes a bit as you play, so it's not completely static every time you start again.
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey, uh... i'd appreciate any rescue attempts right now! i really want to keep this loot! i was heading back to hamlet only to find myself in an EXTREMELY STICKY SITUATION.

my name is cycle (i think! it might be rez or something else!) and my rescue numer is 0000-0000-6660. i should be on the list since i asked to be rescued by anyone. I'LL GIVE YOU A REWARD.

on another note, going on rescue missions is a lot of fun.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where are you? Which level?

EDIT: I tried to enter the Rescue Number and it said that it doesn't exist. Either somebody got to you already or the requests are region-locked (which would be my guess at this point since your number is so low).
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone else must have got to me first (THANKS "SHIREN"). A couple other people have had problems accepting my request, but I don't think it's region locked. I've helped out an American friend a few times.

Also rescue missions sure provide you with kickass loot. I got an armbad that gives me experience by just walking around!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, I just got whumped by a Monster House in the Mines full of Reapers. I didn't have any scrolls, which wound up kicking me in the ass. I had a Mastersword +2 and an Iron Shield +2 as well.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should have let me try to save you, Scratch!

Much to my surprise, I actually finished the game last night! I was surprised because it was my first attempt at a final run - it's only the second time I actually entered the swamps. I guess I just got pretty lucky, I didn't hit too many problems, though I did have to use some of my CUNNING to get out of a few sticky situtations. I entered a level that was one GIANT monster room, it was actually a bit of a pushover. The final boss was a total pussy too. My final score sucked, though. Didn't even make it on to the monthly table.

So yeah, I really like this game! It does so many great things. There are some things I don't like about it, which I want to go into detail about sometime (in addition to the stuff I DID liked). There seems to be lots of stuff I missed, too. I think I might actually go out and pay for this game. IT'S THAT GOOD.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not really too down with either the rescuing or the prepping for a "final" run. All of my runs are final runs. I just sort of go and figure if it's meant to be, it'll happen. I've gotten to Floor 27 a bunch of times, I always wind up dying in a relatively stupid way though.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I guess I did have a little help - I returned from a rescue with a bunch of good loot, which I used to do the final run. I didn't need saving at all, though.

My warehouse is full of really good loot that I never ended up using. I send jars of it to people after I rescue them (something I quite enjoy doing).

I think I'm gonna try to finish it without any starting loot next time - plus there is lots of stuff I never ended up finding or doing. I haven't even tried that dungeon thing in Canyon Hamlet yet!
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I managed to get another friend to buy this game, so now we have a little group of wandered. My first friend has since finished the game, and we both discovered seperate bonus extra dungeons that we're trying to get through now. The one I found is BALLS TO THE WALL hard and awesome! Amazing how much content this game actually has. Fantastic game, this.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, anybody playing Shiren DS 2? I hope to get my import copy today or next Monday. There are lots of new creatures, mechanics, and items. The main story sounds like it has you traversing some 4 dungeons and, unlike Shiren DS 1, all of the game's dungeons are accessible from the one central town (or more like a full city this time). So no more having to traverse the main dungeons first 4-14 floors just to get to another one of the dungeons.
SuperWes
Updated the banners, but not his title
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LordGek wrote:
So, anybody playing Shiren DS 2?

Is this based on Shiren 2 or is it a new game that expands on Shiren 1? I guess it doesn't really matter since I've never played the first one, I'm just curious is all.

-Wes
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 11, 12, 13  Next
Page 12 of 13

Jump to: