The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

the tell us about the games you are playing thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 83, 84, 85  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumping bits are always frustrating in FPS games. It's ok when failing doesn't kill you (I guess), but more often than not, they will. Most of the jumpy bits in Half-Life 2 were dumb, yeah, like that bit on the bridge.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would be less annoying if you could regenerate from death quicker. If you popped right back up at the latest save in less than 2 seconds, I probably wouldn't complain at all.

I actually thought the bridge was pretty easy, I just ran across the diagonal girders and had to jump maybe three times each way. The part that aggravated me the most was jumping when gravity-gunning objects to walk on, whether it was radioactive ooze or sand full of antlions.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got sick of moving crap around with the gravity gun during the antlion beach (I really wish you could like, rotate the object) and just ended up running for most of it, took a few hits but I survived fine.
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that was my experience exactly.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 tonight and thus far I am highly disappointed. I loved the first one, but this one is pretty lame so far. The scripted events that made the first one so memorable are mostly gone. The story has been pretty much nonexistant, which is strange given that the last game ended in a cliffhanger. The engine doesn't seem to have gotten any better at all. The AI actually seems worse. I've had my squad disappear completely on me once and another time they were standing behind a van and refused to move no matter how many times I told them to. Oh yeah! And the levels are kind of lame so far. That about covers it! I'll keep playing it to see if it gets better, but so far I'm not feeling it.

Interestingly, GRAW 2 was kind of the same way. And Prince of Persia 2. It's like Ubisoft puts the A team on part 1s and the C team on part 2s. If Assassin's Creed somehow gets worse for the sequel I'll be impressed. It's already not that great!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
Which funnily enough, is kind of what Passage is trying to get to.

There's a bit more to the game than that.

Once you start exploring up and down, you get some nuance. There's also a thing about distance and achievement. Do you keep running to the right and try to get as far as you can? Do you explore and not get as far but find more treasures along the way? If you're alone, a lot more passages are open to you than if you're bound to someone else. And so on.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:
JasonMoses wrote:
Yeah, dess, he's referring to Space Invaders Revolution, not Extreme.

oh.

what is that?

See where I was confused in buying it?

It's... You've got two modes of play: classic and "New Age". the latter gives you a world map with missions on it. On the lower screen are added abilities (speed up, laser, etcetera). Every time you start a mission (Russia, LA, Antarctica), you get a neat little skippable Taitoish, Zuntata-fueled cutscene that gradually becomes annoying, then the level begins.

The missions all are basically vanilla Space Invaders, except with new and mostly dull configurations of things to clear from the screen. Like, the China stage? Get this. Instead of clearing a couple of dozen normal-sized invaders, you have to clear something like EIGHTY, three times over. Not difficult; it's just tedious. Shoot, wait. Shoot, wait. Shoot, wait. And there's a certain attrition here. Gradually your attention will wander and you'll lose your last life just before you finish the third wave, meaning that seven straight minutes of tapping the fire button have gone to waste.

I think new abilities are unlocked when you get a high enough a score. So far I've only unlocked "speed", after playing through a dozen missions. It's frustrating, as it keeps suggesting all of these neat things I should be able to do, then it locks them all away. Apparently I have to plow my way through all of these tedious tasks to earn the right to make the tasks less tedious. And now the missions have begun to repeat themselves. Didn't have fun with the last armored invader? Well, here's an even better-armored one!

Again, the music is really nice. I like the presentation. It's affectionately put together. It's just designed for autistics.

Someone should write an article, comparing the games, with a big red "NO" written over this box and a big green "YES" over Extreme. And... I don't know the deal with the PSP game.
Bug Fister
Bug Fister

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="SuperWes"]
Lestrade wrote:
"Game Deco"

Whoa, what?
friedchicken

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
I got Rainbow 6 Vegas 2 tonight and thus far I am highly disappointed.

Has anyone else noticed the sheer amount of advertising that's been leveled upon us for this game? Six consecutive sites I visited this morning had huge animated ads for it, and I saw a commercial for it during each and every break last night on two different networks. I mean really, it seems they're trying a little too hard.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lestrade wrote:
[quote="SuperWes]Game Deco"

Whoa, what?[/quote]

The Gamer's Quarter: We straight-up just make shit up sometimes

Last edited by Harveyjames on Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:49 am; edited 1 time in total
dessgeega

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the gamer's quarter: we fuck up quote boxes.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Lestrade"]
SuperWes wrote:
Lestrade wrote:
"Game Deco"

Whoa, what?

I had a post written and it apparently got cut off. Anyways! I just said something along the lines of...

Running the open worldish side missions hasn't gotten old yet, but I'm only two hits in. I can see how people who don't like games that wander from their main narrative might not like them, but I can see why they're there (to break up the game's pacing so it doesn't degreade into a repetitive brawler).

Lets see if this post makes it in!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

doesn't it make you not want to finish it scratchmonkey? I stopped playing for a couple weeks just because that battle was ridiculous.

then of course I had to look online to find out which bright shiny thing at the top i should be shooting.
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:

Once you start exploring up and down, you get some nuance. There's also a thing about distance and achievement. Do you keep running to the right and try to get as far as you can? Do you explore and not get as far but find more treasures along the way? If you're alone, a lot more passages are open to you than if you're bound to someone else. And so on.

Yeah, I still don't find it particularly compelling. I knew about the up and down and while it's a nice proof of concept, I didn't feel like I came away from it with anything that I hadn't had before.
Hospital Zone

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Scratchmonkey wrote:
aderack wrote:
Scratchmonkey wrote:

Yeah, I still don't find it particularly compelling. I knew about the up and down and while it's a nice proof of concept, I didn't feel like I came away from it with anything that I hadn't had before.

I can appreciate Passage for what it's doing, but my interest stops about there. I played through once, then experimented a bit on my second try, but felt like I shouldn't have gone back, like the point was to see what players do on the first attempt. I'm really glad it was made, but won't try it again. I think it would almost be wrong to do it again. If the game is meant to mimic a passage of life, then you shouldn't get a do-over. When my lady died I made a sound. "oh, dear" was the sound.

Gravitation, also, is interesting. But it frustrates me quite a bit. I want to just keep jumping like a cloud! Don't chain me down with philosophical crisis now, I see a fucking star! And then, nothing happens? I make it to the top and I still get philosophical? I'm at the top! Maybe I dislike it because it starts with the assumption of fun, then isn't. Passage is not fun from the get-go, which really, works out in its favour.
aderack

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, that's pretty much what it is: proof of concept. A demonstration of how to use familiar mechanics in a meaningful way. It could be done better. It's interesting how much meaning the game manages to conjure out of what little, though.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Winged Assassins (1984) wrote:
So basically you're saying that it is a game that was practically made for the average Manowar fan.

yeah, if you turn conan around on the boxart it even looks like anal bum cover.

i should probably play passage, it seems like the sort of sentimental hoooarg i'd be into.

daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY GUESS WHAT SUCKS ASS
ASSASSINS CREED

ugh
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sediment

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

but daphny you can gently shove people in crowded marketplaces!!!

seriously tell me why it sucks, and i'll give you e-candy over xbox live (when i get back)

daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

okay here i will tell you why it sucks

becuase i pressed the asshole button and ten minutes of HAHA IM KNOCKING POTS OVER WHAT AN ASS I AM is fuckign not redemption for

1. okay so like you're in this thing and it CONSTANTLY reminds you that you're in a thing just incase you ever start getting into the game (w hich you're not, becuase it sucks) but JSUT IN CASE YOU DO then it will be like OH FAST FORWARD TO A MORE RECENT MEMORY BY THE WAY YOU'RE NOT REALLY HERE YOU'RE IN A THING REMEMBER YOU'RE REENACTIGN MEMORIES
yes i fuckign know already just like update me with dna
but like they do that but THEN THEY MAKE ME RIDE ON MY FUCKING HORSE ACROSS THE WORLD that takes forever becuase i have to SLLOOWWW down becuase apparently theres a goddamn SPEED limit on HORSES which doesnt make sense EITHER how is a dude going fast on a horse suspicious when fucking JUMPING ALL OVER SOME SHITTY BUILDING ISNT
this game makes no sense

2. save citizen? more like LOCK ON TO CITIZEN AND SPEND 10 MINUTES RUNNING AWAY oh look at all these conviently placed fucking haystacks, benches, and tarps oh okay so lemme RUN RUN RUN ADN LOOK FOR THEM oh wow im going to be running in circles aimlessly waiting for this red blinking light to turn yellow arent i? well tahts not fun

3. ONE THOUSAND FLAGS? I DONT CARE if it was somethign they had to put in at the last minute, they didnt have to be ASSHOLES and make it an impossible ONE THOUSAND that no one except terrible people or eight year olds with one game get one thousand fuck me

4. yeah killing a guy with my hidden knife is cool but evesdropping and pickpocketing and asking questions is BORING i want to DO WHAT HAPPENS IN THE OPENING MOVIE
BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THAT OEPNING MOVIE IS A HORRIBLE LIE

they should have a fucking disclaimer before they play that movie that says
"oh here is a really awesome cutscene, this is nothing like the actual gaming experience, but it sure does look cool! dont you want to play, you fool"

im so glad i didnt buy this fuckign PIECE OF CRAP
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The woman who produced this game is REALLY HOT, though

Man Ubisoft make terrible games! They're one of those studios whose name somehow became synonymous with quality when it really shouldn't have. Rare is another one!
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Man Ubisoft make terrible games! They're one of those studios whose name somehow became synonymous with quality when it really shouldn't have. Rare is another one!

Man, fuck you! They tend to make good first-time games and shitty sequels, didn't you read my hypothesis above? GRAW was great, Rainbow Six Vegas was great, Prince of Persia: Sands of Time was great, many of the Splinter Cell games are surprisingly good (don't comment on this unless you've played them), and, hell, even Naruto 360 was great!

And yeah, although Assassin's Creed has a shitload of potential, but it fails because most of the shit it asks you to do is repetitive, boring busywork that doesn't integrate well with the game's narrative. It'd be great if these things were fixed for the sequel, but since it's Ubisoft they'll probably be even worse!

In conclusion: Ubisoft does make terrible games, but they also make really good ones. Kinda like Capcom. People tend to forget the bad ones and remember the good ones and I don't really see anything wrong with that.

-Wes
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i turned off assassins creed and turned on dark messiah of might and magic and as soon as that fucking ubisoft logo came up i was like OH NO NOT TONIGHT and played dynasty warriors gundam
Mr Mustache

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:

I'm not sure if "terrible" is the right word. They definitely make boring games, bland games...which I guess is kind of terrible. God I hate Sands of Time.

I like(d) Rare significantly more.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I know is the last two ubisoft games I played were RAYMAN RAVING RABBITS and they are I-can't-believe-this-got-past-playtesting bad. You shake the wiimote. That's all you do. Almost every game is a wiimote shaking game. Swimming, cycling, even some of the shooting games! It's really lazy!

Oh and RED STEEL. Your girlfriend makes you look at fish! It's excruciating! And the whole big original conceit of the game is the real-time wiimote sword fighting, and it is AWFUL and not fun at all.

Also Beyond Good and Evil. There's barely a single original idea in the whole game! it's all taken from 3D Zelda and Mario games, pretty much. So yeah SUCK SUCK SUCK
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

beyond good and evil was still fun though

and french, very french
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it was pretty fun

But front-loaded to shit, to the point where it just looks like they ran out of time halfway through. It's a 'Huh? I'm finished already??' sort of game. By the end they're just giving away Moon Pearls or whatever they call Stars/Shines in Beyond Good and Evil. Also there was a bug that rendered it uncompletable! What!

We have a French guy living in our house who is a douche. He said to me 'In UK there is lot of pub. On the way home I count twenty pub.'

'Yeah there is a lot. In fact Edinburgh is famous for having 50 pubs on one street!

His reply to this was just a wry smile. I said 'so what is there a lot of in France?'

'Idea. France is full of idea.'

Wherever these ideas are hiding they're not in the motherfucking studios for Ubisoft, that's for sure.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should have been an asshole and been like well i know what there ARENT A LOT OF JOBS HAR HAR YOUR IDEAS DONT GET YOU ANYWHERE DO THEY FRENCHIE
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HERE'S AN IDEA FROM ENGLAND, PULL DOWN MY PANTS AND PRACTISE FOR YOUR FRENCH ORAL
Scratchmonkey

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that's why one of my Irish linguistics profs liked to refer to Paris as "an intellectual backwater".
aderack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not enough pubs?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well not to derail the prospect of james harvey getting some Parisian brain, but I finished Professor Layton.

I solved every puzzle I found, though I'm not sure I found all of them. The final puzzle (making 7 squares on a 6x6 pegboard missing 8 pegs) really was spectacular. I worked on it for 40+ minutes before I nailed it. It was worth all the time to figure it out hintlessly. Unlike a lot of the puzzles, there was no trick to it, just a purely difficult visual exercise.

What I Liked
-The game, whether or not it was designed that way, is a perfectly social experience. I received help from six others during my playthrough. I felt like one of the villagers: "Hey, could you help me with this puzzle? It's got me thinking in circles." And then I would watch as one or another of my friends, usually not a frequent videogame player, would quickly absorb themselves into the challenge.
-The designers clearly made ease of use a priority. Nearly every interface was intuitive to manipulate. There is a story recap every time you boot up from a save. Since the story is already frivolous, the recaps never cheapen the experience, only remind you what direction you ought to head.

What I Wasn't Keen on
-Why doesn't the player play any role in actively solving the mysteries of the plot? I would rather there be some puzzles horrendously forced to conform to the narrative (you know, just tack-ons) than watch the silly mystery resolve itself without my input.

I really don't know that I should write anything else about Professor Layton and the Curious Village. It was a good time.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i didnt like how it turned into a dating sim, but i sure did like those puzzles, i solved 127 of them im pretty sure

i didnt finish the inn and i didnt get the PUZZLE MASTER (obviously i didnt finihs the inn!)

the bonus puzzles are really challenging and fun
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
All I know is the last two ubisoft games I played were RAYMAN RAVING RABBITS and they are I-can't-believe-this-got-past-playtesting bad. You shake the wiimote. That's all you do. Almost every game is a wiimote shaking game. Swimming, cycling, even some of the shooting games! It's really lazy!

Oh and RED STEEL. Your girlfriend makes you look at fish! It's excruciating! And the whole big original conceit of the game is the real-time wiimote sword fighting, and it is AWFUL and not fun at all.

Also Beyond Good and Evil. There's barely a single original idea in the whole game! it's all taken from 3D Zelda and Mario games, pretty much. So yeah SUCK SUCK SUCK

Yeah, UbiSoft is terrible because they made rushed launch titles and a good game that tries to be as excellent as a first party Nintendo game but doesn't quite make it?

If that's the case they're better than every other company in existance. Other companies don't even try to compete in Nintendo's key genres and no third party has ever released an above average launch title! Just trying to offer some perspective here.

-Wes
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oasis try to be like the Beatles, but that doesn't make them the best band in the world. Maybe what you should do is stop thinking what you think and instead think what I think, HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Harveyjames wrote:
Oasis try to be like the Beatles, but that doesn't make them the best band in the world. Maybe what you should do is stop thinking what you think and instead think what I think, HOW DO YOU LIKE THAT

I'm sorry, let me try again:

NINTENDO SUX BECAUSE I DONT LAIK HAMUTARO!!!1!

-Wes
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooo ubisoft made ape escape 2, james shut up you're just wrong

wait no theres a lot of bad games on this list, myst V? i didnt know there were that many mysts

oo i liked rayman
oh god so many sequels

spllinter cell
again with the sequels though..

EWW XIII EWWW

oh puzzle pirates they released that? thats cool
ubisofts signal to noise doesnt seem very promising
aderack

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SuperWes wrote:
no third party has ever released an above average launch title!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Calibur
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Stone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Xtreme_Racer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania:_Circle_of_the_Moon
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I'm the only person who really enjoyed Red Steel!

Ubisoft make plenty of crap, but they occasionally make some good stuff, too. They haven't done anything great for quite sometime now, though.

Assassins Creed was pretty rubbish, yeah! Sands of Time would have been better without all that shitty combat. I don't think I even got halfway through it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aderack wrote:
SuperWes wrote:
no third party has ever released an above average launch title!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soul_Calibur
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Power_Stone
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tokyo_Xtreme_Racer
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castlevania:_Circle_of_the_Moon

I stand corrected. The only third party company to ever release an above average launch title for a system that hadn't already been around in Japan for 10 months is Konami. And that game is Castlevania: Circle of the Moon (even though for some reason I remember that game missing launch by like a week).

Release Dates:

Dreamcast
JP: November 27, 1998

Soul Calibur Japanese
JP: August 5, 1999

Power Stone
JP: February 25, 1999

Tokyo Xtreme Racer
Japan: June 11, 1999

So my point pretty much still stands. Also: I'm not saying everything Ubisoft touches turns to gold, I'm just saying that every once in a while when they get their shit together and release a pretty great game it shouldn't be disregarded because, "meh, it's Ubisoft." They're a shit ton better than Sega and we give them the benefit of the doubt every once in a while.

-Wes
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No way, sega made JET SET RADIOOOO
and Space Channel 5 part 2.

And the dreamcast.

and Outrun 2.

THERE IS PROBABLY MORE :O
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wasn't Gunvalkyrie a launch title? That one was pretty awesome!

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyway, i just finished up Nelly Cootalot in Spoonbeaks Ahoy. It was very well put together. A few puzzlles were stumpers but afterwards I always felt like I should have been able to figure it out sooner instead of having no idea of how that solution was supposed to fit. Very solid.

I also ran through Gunmute. A good enough game, but like many IF I had to resort to the hints section to find the right verb once. "take cover" being unrecognized by the parser. Overall it was nice.

Tried dess's MJO again before just deciding that these punishment platformers just are not for me. Ended up playing Eternal Daughter again instead. all in all, fun times this week.

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obliterated my high score in Tempest 2000 after playing it today, for the first time in months. It's like...846,000+.

I reached level 50 and suddenly it's like a brand-new game. Minter did some brilliant things in this level specifically by making the player afraid of an enemy (at that point in the game, anyway) that is pretty much tame: Demon Heads. Lots and lots of them, replacing the player's fear of Pulsars.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extrabastardformula wrote:
wasn't Gunvalkyrie a launch title? That one was pretty awesome!

Nope! But I agree. It is pretty awesome. It's probably my favorite game Sega's made since the Dreamcast!

-Wes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XIII doesn't suck you shut up
dessgeega

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

extrabastardformula wrote:
I also ran through Gunmute. A good enough game, but like many IF I had to resort to the hints section to find the right verb once. "take cover" being unrecognized by the parser. Overall it was nice.

what i like about gunmute (though you're absolutely right, "take cover" should be implemented) is that game-specific commands are presented as hyperlinks the first time they appear. clicking on one will not only execute the most logical choice of action but also teach you what the appropriate phrasing is for future use. the response to clicking on "take cover" is "duck!" and for the rest of the game i never typed the word without the exclamation point.

i've been chugging through the mandatory mediocre middle act of apollo justice, and the plot has caught up with me again at last. i like that in phoenix wright's last trial we actually get to see him as being genuinely cool and confident. it's a nice change, and one that's been long coming.

bangai-o spirits. wow. if the stages of the original bangaioh are the most conceptual treasure's ever built, the stages of this game abandon the premise of a giant mecha space fight almost entirely and are almost entirely conceptual. there's maps based on pac-man and battle city, a giant pachinko machine that you clear by knocking balls into targets, numerous falling block puzzles and stages that require perfect understanding of the game mechanics. they're really fucking hard. they're likely brilliant. and there's the level editor, which seems breezy enough to use.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

can't wait for u.s. bangaioh
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dessgeega wrote:

bangai-o spirits. wow. if the stages of the original bangaioh are the most conceptual treasure's ever built, the stages of this game abandon the premise of a giant mecha space fight almost entirely and are almost entirely conceptual. there's maps based on pac-man and battle city, a giant pachinko machine that you clear by knocking balls into targets, numerous falling block puzzles and stages that require perfect understanding of the game mechanics. they're really fucking hard. they're likely brilliant. and there's the level editor, which seems breezy enough to use.

Bangai-oh Spirits sounds pretty funny.

actionbutton.net wrote:
The tutorial in Bangai-O Spirits is pretty boring. However, unlike an actual school, the long-winded tutorial in Bangai-O Spirits teaches you how to be objectively awesome. Each tutorial stage opens with a dialogue between three characters — a commander with an eyepatch, a young girl with large breasts, and a too-cool youth in a hip military uniform. In addition to teaching you how to use weapons, the commander also manages to enrage the cool youth: as the tutorials get more complicated and wordy, toward the end, the kid literally says that he didn’t realize he signed up for “an actual robot anime” — he just thought the robot and the anime characters on the box were there to draw in anime fans. The professor then gets defensive, insinuating that the end of Evangelion was “the best part”. Not making this up! When you beat the tutorial, the commander says, “We’ve defeated the Tutorial Army!” And the kid says, “That was fast. If we sell this game back now, do you think we can get at least 3,500 yen for it?”
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must say that i like nwn2 a lot more than the first, and not just because it's less buggy. it's certainly streamlined, but i appreciate things like fast-ish travel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63 ... 83, 84, 85  Next
Page 62 of 85

Jump to: