The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I got so fucking SMASHed last night...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dmauro

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pikmin ARE all of his A attacks. I think the only attacks Olimar does by himself are his neutral air, dash attack, and his tilts. But all of his smashes, his grab, and his other aerials are all done with the Pikmin and without them nothing will happen. To use him effectively you have to always make sure to have a full stock of Pikmin and be extremely careful and crafty when you get knocked off the stage. He's secretly a heavy: he has super armor during his down b whistle and he hits for some pretty ridiculous damage at good speeds. I always get destroyed when I try to use him in FFA though (unless I get the smash ball because, yeah, his FS is devastating).
sediment

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thankfully pulling out a full stock of pikmin is near-instantaneous and his whistle pulls them all next to him

i can definitely see why you say olimar's such a total hardass. i might give him a second or third chance, but ultimately i will probably end up cycling between pit, dedede, ike, and cap. falcon or randoming.

did i mention i love pit? i love pit! he's so goddamn cute and if you catch someone in his toward-smash he's like an inescapable chainsaw of destruction since, you know, it can be continued indefinitely. his up-a attack is a decent launcher, too.
i think his down-b shield serves as both a defense and a kirby-style drop smash when performed in the air. his "wings" doesn't seem to serve as an attack, in my experience.
pit seems a lot like fox meets kirby, with maybe a hint of classic samus.

samus' zero suit is kind of beefy, too. she's really nimble - not like she was clumsy to begin with - and her smashes are really intense. didn't get to try out her grapple attack.

times like these i really regret not buying a wii!

dessgeega
loves your favorite videogame

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pit is the hottest character in the game, easily.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pit, samus, and ganondorf form a sort of trinity of hotness in my mind.

some day, my friend will unlock ganondorf and we can have a True Manly-Off between him, Falcon, Snake, and ... Wario.

The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear friends! Dear, dear friends.

How does Wario play?

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My impressions of wario: Too slow, sluggish, with weak moves that are hard to hit with and have a lot of post lag. He's probably one of the worst characters in the game.
Updated the banners, but not his title

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bleak wrote:
My impressions of wario: Too slow, sluggish, with weak moves that are hard to hit with and have a lot of post lag. He's probably one of the worst characters in the game.

Incorrect!

He's really awesome! He pulls a motorcycle out of his pocket and uses it to plow into people, then picks it up and throws it at them. THEN picks up the remains and throws them at people. He can also eat his motorcycle and/or other people!

It's awesome!!!

-Wes

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sometimes when I throw a pokeball out bonsly appears and then I pick it up and try to hit other people with it but it doesn't work. Sad

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wario is pretty cool. He's got the DI (ease of changing momentum in the air) of squirtle and the forward smash launch power of Ike. The range of his attacks is really bad though, so it's up to you to get in with the attack and back out. His game is definitely in the air. He has recovery to match too, since he can use his bicycle to get horizontal distance and then jump off of it, and still have his up b left to recover. His jumps don't get much height though. His forward smash is always sort of surprising and he moves in an awkward way so he's got that going for him too. I really doubt he's one of the worst characters in the game. Oh and his fart is ridiculous once you've saved it up to the point that you blink (I think it does like 40% damage).
Lasa

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Masafumi Takada's Shin Onigashima arrangement is amazing.
SuperWes

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dmauro wrote:
Wario is pretty cool. He's got the DI (ease of changing momentum in the air) of squirtle and the forward smash launch power of Ike. The range of his attacks is really bad though, so it's up to you to get in with the attack and back out. His game is definitely in the air. He has recovery to match too, since he can use his bicycle to get horizontal distance and then jump off of it, and still have his up b left to recover. His jumps don't get much height though. His forward smash is always sort of surprising and he moves in an awkward way so he's got that going for him too. I really doubt he's one of the worst characters in the game. Oh and his fart is ridiculous once you've saved it up to the point that you blink (I think it does like 40% damage).

Oh yeah! He also farts (which makes him awesome)!

-Wes

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back to Olimar, I figured out how his whistle works for anyone interested (it helps drastically). I finally got some decent online matches in tonight, and it was a blast. It really sucks not being able to chat at least between matches with your friends, but I guess we should be happy fanboys with the meager taunt-texts they gave us :/
bleak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly just can't see well enough to be effective with olimar.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man, guys, the game for me begins and ends with Luigi. His moves are pretty much unchanged from Melee, but they feel like they pack a lot more punch. On top of that he has the best taunts ever.

I'd write more but I stayed up too late trying to hear all of Snake's codec conversations. I couldn't generate one for Sheik. Frustrating.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When did you first notice that Nintendo imagined Luigi as being effete and possibly homosexual? For me it was his witheringly camp item descriptions in Luigi's Mansion, but are there any earlier examples?
dmauro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Yoshi's Island, baby Luigi is scared and crying and baby Mario is going to rescue him. In the US Super Mario Bros. 2 he's got that floaty jump, which kind of sets the standard for his moveset in Smash Bros.

But I think that this is what you're looking for.

"That's Mama Luigi to you!"
helicopterp

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
Luigi...has the best taunts ever.

I always loved that he was the only character in Melee who could do damage with a taunt. Is that still intact here?
dmauro

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When Snake takes his cardboard box off, it can hit opponents for damage (and a KO in instant death as seen in some youtube video).
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Intentionally Wrong wrote:
Man, guys, the game for me begins and ends with Luigi. His moves are pretty much unchanged from Melee, but they feel like they pack a lot more punch. On top of that he has the best taunts ever.

and the best final smash.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best is when someone activates his final smash over a pit and they slooowly dance their way down and off the screen while not being able to do a thing about it.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i finished subspace emissary. the final boss is rough!

sonic is a blast to play.

this game is a blast to play.

this game is so good.

i fought the most excellent hidden character. and lost. boo!

this game is so great. all of the stages are so great.

today's downloadable stage is so great.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only played the N64 one for a few rounds, but I get the feeling I'm missing out when I read all of this. How is it played, with the remote turned sideways? Or the classic controller? I've come to rely on the classic controller a good deal.
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This post over at smashbros.com talks about how the remote works when turned sideways. The Classic Controller works a lot like the Gamecube controller - you can remap all of the buttons, too (outside of the d-pad, unfortunately), which is pretty handy.
ryan

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

holy hell - that's pretty much perfect. thanks! mmmm, classic controller. just from videos, the series reminds me of the VS games. are they on par with those - I have a few of them - or is it just the over-the-topness that I'm seeing?
JasonMoses

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a competitive level, Brawl isn't nearly as insular and difficult to understand as, say, Marvel vs. Capcom 2, which is a huge plus, to me. I don't think the two franchises are really comparable though, despite the surface similarities - you can play Brawl in so many damn ways, because of how flexible the rules are. That the method of play that most resembles traditional fighting games is not the default ruleset, and is often derided by people who love the game otherwise (see dessgeega's posts in this thread) is a testament to that. It's a lot of games to a lot of people, nearly all of which are going to be far more interesting than any of the VS. games, I think.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i played through subspace entirely with the nes-style remote. i prefer the gamecube pad - i've used it playing with my classmates - but out of the wiixclusive control schemes the remote is best.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 1:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i haven't used anything other than the gamecube controller and i never will!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just played this today finally (courtesy of Dmauro's hospitality). Snake is wonderful. So is the rest of the game.
dessgeega

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

turned on spectator mode while i did my dishes. ran over to bet whenever the game offered me a "bonus chance" (i even won once).

the first three matches took place on final destination, and i was worried they all would. fortunately this turned out not to be the case. this game has the most brilliant, wonderful stages and if you spend all your time playing the one that's a flat platform you are cold and dead and devoid of wonder.

at least they made final destination a lot smaller, so it's actually interesting to play on now. much to the chagrin of HARDCORE SMASH PLAYERS, i'm sure.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Honestly Dess, give it a rest will you. You complain at Cycle for constantly posting his hatred of Portal but it's totally cool for you to rage on about how much you hate competitive Smash players in every second post? Some people like to play the game that way so quit it with the annoying little barbs.

Thanks to everyone who posted stuff about Wario! I am horrendously annoyed that I can't touch him, and even more so that there's no goddamn release date even announced yet. All these youtube videos do nothing to ease the pain. Sad

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unwashed, do you know about the Wii Freeloader? It is the answer to your Wario prayers.
bleak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

playing with no items is really fun. i beat my friend 1v1 on green hill zone in your standard 3 stock no items match. it was me as bowser vs. toon link. extremely intense up to the finish.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Allow me to play Devil's Advocate for a second. I remember playing Smash quite a bit in uni and we had the most fun with the speed turned down to about 75% and by making it so the game just played until your energy bar ran down, like in Street Fighter. It was better! We couldn't get with the regular mode! It's just a bunch of flashing shapes and colours!
dessgeega

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, i'll stop being a curmudgeon.

i cleared twenty-something events on normal. can anyone tell me how to access the rest so i don't have to scare my eyes with potential spoilers?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to unlock every character to get events 29 - 40 I believe.

Playing in stamina (HP) mode is strange. You don't accumulate damage, so you don't progressively get knocked back further and further. I haven't played it much because I was sort of immediately turned off (the greatest appeal of Brawl for me is getting the early KO out off the edge of the stage), but I'll have to give that a shot sometime. You certainly couldn't play it competitively though because there must be so many broken combos you can get when the person doesn't get launched away from you.
extrabastardformula

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A friend showed me this pic and I wanted to share

HTML is ON
BBCode is ON
Smilies are ON
dmauro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is really excellent.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUT IT'S NOT MY BIRTHDAY
boojiboy7

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh, just read the ED entry that I first saw that in. Of course, horribly NSFW and all that. I apologize for linking ED.
bleak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

god damn it chris.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't get why tourneyfags and itemfags hate each other so much! Why can't they live and let live?
bleak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only thing I don't understand is why both parties are generally so ENTRENCHED in that ONE playstyle that htey can't even play the other to enjoy it.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so i played this yesterday for the first time. some interesting stuff going on, but man did they nerf link. maybe it was the controller i was using, but shit, he's so fucking heavy now, like--heavy as shit. i find it really difficult to make him move the way i used to, and because of the new controls i kept accidentally pulling off moves i didn't mean to. and i don't like that wind thing with his boomerang--though i guess charging his up+b is pretty cool.

also, i am certainly a tourneyfag; playing FFA is just too chaotic for me. it's fun, it's just pure chaos/luck so i can only enjoy it much in the same way i enjoy roulette, you know?

(btw the ED article is hilariously un-hilarious and boring, unlike the comic posted)
Max Cola

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

parkbench wrote:
(btw the ED article is hilariously un-hilarious and boring, unlike the comic posted)

Oh God, ED. I don't even wanna... Don't even get me started on ED.

I like a good no-items match once in a while, and a good all-items chaos match once in a while too. And then sometimes I just turn on nothing but laser swords and paper fans and my brother and I have a SWORD DUEL, and the only rule is that you can't attack the other person if they don't have a weapon. Though it usually degenerates into sword-and-knife(or fan)-throwing.
The only girl I've ever loved was born with roses in her eyes. But then they buried her alive, one evening 1945, with just her sister at her side, and only weeks before the guns all came and rained on everyone...
elvis.shrugged

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got this yesterday. It's really a blast! I wasn't even expecting to like it much.

Snake makes the entire game for me. I love, love playing as him, and that's something I've never said about a Smash Bros. character before. His Final Smash is just so great.

We need to get online with this, people.
Pink Teddy Bear

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Olimar surprised the hell out of me. I had no idea he could be so functional. It was a pleasant surprise to say the least.

The first time I played as him I random'd to him when vs.ing some friends. At first I thought I was fucked, but I wound up owning pretty hard. Good guy, that Olimar, good guy.
Patrick Alexander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian Crecente's video review:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aZKoTfY84sU
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That made me do a laugh! Did you write that?
Patrick Alexander

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But of course!
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's funny because it wasn't even sonic the hedgehog!!!!!!!!!

Man you should write something for me to draw one day.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Club for the Study and Appreciation of Interactive Audio Visual Media All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: