The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index The Gamer's Quarter
A quarterly publication

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I can't stop listening
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i loved gybe (outside of albini killing the last album) and i will go see a silver mt. zion in brooklyn later this year, but he's either really bad at expressing himself in print (which is possible) or i just honestly have no fucking idea what he's getting on about.

not everyone in the audience has anything interesting to say, anyway. (as was concretely expressed, much to his visible disappointment, at the last silver mt. zion show i was at.)

then again, i enjoy listening to music. i don't even have to see the band.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not sure what he expects either. It's all well and good that one views a concert as an opportunity for debate, but there's really no say in audience.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

some new reviews up after a six month break at dhex.wordpress.com.

i am surprised to be liking wolves in the throne room as much as i do.
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I FOUND A FRENCH ESTRADASPHERE I THINK if you dont know who estradasphere is they're like another secret chiefs genre-bending (from indian to death metal in the same song kind of thing) band

anyway i dont know where ANATHEME came from

although theres a lot of boring indie guitar and not enough accordion but who can expect the french to get EVERYTHINGright
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What have I been listening to recently??

- A special compilation of Beck tracks I made that takes the good songs from Sea Change, and all the good Beck songs that would have been at home on Sea Change, and attempts to imagine what a good version of Sea Change would have been like

- Juno soundtrack

- Air, but only because they're the first fucking band that appears when I start Itunes and I click it through sheer force of habit

- some tracks from Jay-Z's American Gangster album

- Lots of 'Screwed and Chopped' remixes

Oh shit, and Kim Wilde's Kids In America, what a good record that is
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only beck i REALLY like is his 8 bit album of remixes from guero or however you spell it

the only air i like is their remix album

screwed and chopped is for kids taht love chugging cough medicine

ps whos on hte jiuno soundtrack i havent seen the movie and everyone is RAAAVING ABOUT IT but im sure its bands im already SICK OF becuase im so AHEAD of the itmes
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kimya Dawson (sp?) of the Moldy Peaces is the Juno soundtrack. I dated a girl recently who's really into them. They're pop de-constructionists, they thrive on no-fi, irreverence, and exuberence, but that was just from one listen. They make the phrase "Who's got the crack?" into a rimshot-worthy punchline.

I'm pretty over chopped and screwed. But I don't chug enough cough syrup.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only had a brief flirtation with Screwed and Chopped when it came out, and then it was Japanese and French takes on it, so I never got to hear where it all started.

Man, she's of the Moldy Peaches?? I've only heard like 3 Moldy Peaches songs and I've loved all of them, I need to check them out properly.

The best Beck stuff is on the tapes he made in his garage before he even got a record deal, all the pre-Mellow Gold stuff. If you listen to that stuff you can hear why Bob Dylan once touted him as 'the next Bob Dylan'. Then he kind of got off track, but I still like him.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the moldy peaches are great they make such silly music adam green makes some good stuff too
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i hate it when i get into bands like the residents tehy have so many albums which ones should i go out and buy RIGHT NOW
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

None, no-one buys records and anyway you don't have a job, young lady.
B coma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

daphaknee wrote:
i hate it when i get into bands like the residents tehy have so many albums which ones should i go out and buy RIGHT NOW

http://www.markprindle.com/residents.htm
Dracko

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tea with Diamanda Galás.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

edit wow this review is great
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 step is an awfully good song
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite songs from recent-period radiohead are Arpeggi and house of Cards, but the studio versions are nowhere near as good as the live bootlegs. I have them here somewhere if you'd care to search: http://www.maudevintage.com/jamesharvey/files/

they should be near the top.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

does anyone have any residents albums that they would be willing to share/trade? also we sholud make an album dump thread kind of lik ehte AXE's but we dont have PRIVATE FORUMS GOD CANT THE GAMERS QUARTER HAVE AN AXE I MISS CYCLE AXING

residents albums i have: fingerprince, the way we were

albums i would die for :warner bros album, our tired, our poor, our huddled masses

but beggars cant be choosers
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh man, harvey. the way the bass kicks in with that killer lick about a third of the way through arpeggi. oh man. this beats the pants off of the album cut.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

YEAH!

I know! I was so disapointed that they stuck in two measures of just drums and spooky sound effects that completely negate the impact of that moment. Arpeggi and House of Cards were really the only songs out of that whole mess that showed that their songwriting was maturing and going places, and they ballsed them up for the album cut. BOO
helicopterp

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still adore the album version of House of Cards, though. The echo on the chill drum beats and the way that the most spare guitar chords sound percussive.
daphaknee
just enemies now
just enemies now

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LET THE BASS KICK
DUNDUDNUDNDUDNU N
sediment

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for some reason i find the VNV Nation remix of AFI's "Miss Murder" very personally satisfying

it really took a futurepop approach to have AFI come off as anything but blandly emo.

just throwing that out there.

helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought that Basement Jaxx album Kish Kash after having my eye on it for years. I played it while dancing and folding laundry and grading papers.
simplicio

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first half of Kish Kash is so insanely movable. dance moves you never new you had in there. it drops off, unfortunately; all their stuff does, but the good bits are like wobbly-kneed heaven.

I wrote:
The Garden is an oddball release with a history; after the Silver Apples' first two legendary and groundbreaking (but at the time ignored) albums of electronic psychedelic pop (Silver Apples in '68 and Contact in '69) failed to succeed commercially, Simeon Coxe and Danny Taylor split and fell out of contact for decades, when Taylor's call to a WFMU pledge drive in 1998 suddenly put him back in touch with his old partner. The two found a box of tapes in Taylor's attic from 1968 with 7 completed tracks originally intended for their 3rd album. They also found tracks of Taylor's drumming from 1969, to which Simeon then added electronic "noodles." It's an appropriate phrase, as they're really just squiggles and squelches over the drums, fairly non-cohesive. But those original tracks are golden moments of drugged out pop bliss, including a couple traditional covers and one of "Mustang Sally". Reissued by Bully Records in Canada in 2008, with a couple bonus tracks added to the 1998 version and mastering by Sixtoo.

Which is to say, I'm really taken by This track.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been biting my tongue on a Vampire Weekend opinion for awhile now, mostly because I was so disgusted by the hipster-whipped froth lent them by everyone. But now that I've grown accustomed to the idiocy surrounding their emergence, I can confidently say that my toe taps when I listen to their music. That's not high praise from me; nor is it at all low.

The Magnetic Fields' new album, Distortion, is silly in mostly bad ways.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, and Simplicio. Good call on that Silver Apples song. The drums, especially.
Dracko

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://ghosts.nin.com/

He's at it so soon? Well, it would seem so.

I'm still in the process of downloading the first of the four volumes (Try your luck with RapidShare, though, as the site is understandably swamped and being difficult), but my understanding is its supposed to be an instrumental series. This might be great news to some who've found Reznor's lyrics insipid, if not insufferable, and it won't cost you much at all to give it a go either. The other volumes are streamed at the site too.

Trent going instrumental was bound to happen sooner or later, really.
Cycle
Mac daddy
Mac daddy

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Ghosts IV is the definite standout.

Also yeah, this is pretty rad.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm really enjoying what i've heard so far (in the process of acquiring all the Ghosts as we speak, since my download link won't work). Ghosts I hit me...interestingly at first. sometimes, i'll hear some songs and they won't really sink in, but the next time i hear them, they'll complete catch me off guard and show me something i wasn't expecting. that's what's happening here and i'm really excited about it.

also, i missed all that jazz about GYBE being officially broken up. i guess it doesn't really matter since i think we all assumed it, but plus, ASMZ seems to have carried on most of the spirit of Godspeed with it.

Efrim is sort of an odd guy, as can be expected. he seems basically pretty nice but he has a very...piercing stare. like when i tried talking to him, he sort of just has this look that cuts through you and completely makes you feel insecure, like he's looking at your brain or something. no artist (let alone person) has ever really done that to me, so i just sort of said "hey" and then left him the fuck alone. maybe that's his intent.

anyway, he's pretty into the idea of communication in a rock show, but i think he's trying to figure out how to do it. a lot of times, in concert, he'll just say "so anyone have anything to say?" or something similar, and the floor will open up to whatever left-wing college student will take it. the results are generally less than stellar.

they play a mean show, anyhow.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love how Trent Reznor periodically lights up this thread.

I've been on Madvillain's album Madvillainy. As much as I appreciate his anti-pop song structure--not to mention the samples and his ludicrous rhymes--I want to see what he could do with a hook, dammit!

But he's very good.
The Great Unwashed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have also picked up Ghosts but not yet heard it! However, I Can't Stop Listening to I Created Disco by Calvin Harris. Does this make me a bad person? I think not.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
I love how Trent Reznor periodically lights up this thread.

What he's doing these days is, beyond anything else, very interesting to witness. If he manages to pave the way for something great, I wouldn't be surprised.

Here's an interview with Triple J, wherein Reznor is spot-on, because fuck Radiohead.

Trent Reznor wrote:
No. I think what they did was a cool thing, I think that the way they’ve kind of parleyed that in to a marketing gimmick has certainly been shrewd, I think that at the end of the day if you look at what they did though was very much a bait and switch; let’s get you to pay for a MySpace quality stream as a way to promote a very traditional record sale. There’s nothing wrong with that, but I don’t see that as being the revolution that they’re kinda getting credit for.

Say what you will about the music, you can't tell me this guy isn't more committed than a bunch of hypocritical hipster darlings.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey I didn't say anything about Reznor's music. But have you listened to In Rainbows? I don't care how they released it.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think the most interesting bit about that release was that people still stiffed them and then tossed it up on servers asap.

people are worthless cunts.
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, not really. It just gave the people who were prepared to pay nothing an easier way to pay nothing. Since they were giving it away free anyway, they didn't get stiffed for anything!
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i stand by my statement.

it's the whole real/not real thing. it's just the way things are these days. a cultural shift, if you will.

and of course a lack of appreciation for craftmanship. and i say this as someone who pretty much loathes radiohead.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

helicopterp wrote:
But have you listened to In Rainbows?

Yes, it's effete garbage and people will remember it because of a worthless gimmick somehow considered progressive. People can fuck right off, and Pitchfork right with them.

dhex, what do you make then of the method of release Reznor is experimenting with? Ghosts was released under a Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial Share Alike license, basically allowing anyone to remix it as they see fit as well as upload or share it without any fear of litigation.

You might actually want to give it a listen, considering you seem to enjoy earlier NIN somewhat. It's purely instrumental and quite varied. The first of the four volumes is available freely from the site.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was actually going to buy it because i figure hey that's neat. and no vocals which means i could listen to it and stuff.

it's totally different when someone says "go forth and enjoy this." and i do like how he's released the multis for so many tracks.

on the other hand, it really only works when you're a huge superstar. it's no loss for reznor, and actually a huge money maker due to the limited edition stuff.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, there's no denying he'll have a guaranteed audience, but I wouldn't doubt others might be encouraged to try the same.

I believe, but again, this is on account of the NINnies, I'm sure, that the new Saul Williams album that Reznor produced, and that's selling for $5, sold more in two months than the previous one did in two years.
dhex
Breeder
Breeder

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i think it relies quite heavily on the name recognition. for example, would saul williams have been selling that well had reznor's name not been attached?

it's not a bad idea at all, and would work for a mid tier artist - someone like aphex twin, for example - even in niche groups, but they would have to have some kind of name recognition to start with.

but there's very little payoff for people with less built-in star power.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
helicopterp wrote:
But have you listened to In Rainbows?

Yes, it's effete garbage

Effete? It's intense. And pop-y and romantic and brooding. Though I grant you it isn't loud most of the time. It's much more human than anything either they themselves or your man Reznor has put out in a long time--though I haven't listened to those Ghosts yet. And, because it makes a difference to me, I like that they always sound as if they're interested in playing their music, as if they are actually having fa great deal of fun producing sound.

I'm not sure why you brought pitchfork into the equation, though. In my thread about them I only defend them as a "decent reviews"/"not the bane of all existence" kind of website.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In Rainbows was about as harmless as it gets. It's just so dull a listen. You could play it to plants and lab rats and they'd self-mutilate if only to experience something that isn't the essence of castrated Britannia.

Pitchfork love them and that's enough reason for me.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
People can fuck right off

You should make that your sig.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An intriguing notion!
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And harmful = better? In Rainbows is harmless pop, but it isn't easy or safe.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It epitomises easy and safe. And not even in a good "fragile" way.

It's the musical equivalent of locking yourself inside your car and pumping exhaust through your windows.

Radiohead didn't have much balls to begin with, they're practically less than eunuchs on this one.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your nipples epitomize safe and easy, as discussed in another thread here.
Dracko

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have many itches to scratch, but jabbing someone's eye out with my titlets isn't one of them.
helicopterp

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We'll just have to agree to argue about this face to face one day. I will outfit myself with protective eyewear.
Harveyjames
the meteor kid
the meteor kid

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dracko wrote:
It epitomises easy and safe. And not even in a good "fragile" way.

It's the musical equivalent of locking yourself inside your car and pumping exhaust through your windows.

Radiohead didn't have much balls to begin with, they're practically less than eunuchs on this one.

What, Radiohead were such a brave band it's untrue! They invented haunted house ghost prog with OK Computer, putting themselves in a genre of one. Then, they were pretty much the biggest band in the world when they made Kid A, which completely confounded a huge amount of their fans! Also they refused to play their biggest hit at all their gigs, for about ten years! BRAVE BRAVE BRAVE SO BRAVE

The new album is the sound of a band that's comfortable with itself and doesn't feel the need to push itself, which isn't a bad thing really. I think the live versions I have of Arpeggi and House of Cards are up there in my top ten Radiohead songs.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    The Gamer's Quarter Forum Index -> Quarterly Discussion All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17 ... 20, 21, 22  Next
Page 16 of 22

Jump to: